Fifth Street Coney Island?

Posted in the Stockwell Forum

Connie

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Oct 10, 2010
When I was a little girl living in Ladoga, IN, my Dad used to take me to a restaurant downtown Lafayette...maybe West Lafayette, I am not sure. But I think he called it 5th Street Coney Island. It was a little place but always very busy and they had the best coney dogs I believe I have ever tasted anywhere. Does anyone remember this restaurant amd is it still there?
Eugene Paulson

Kittanning, PA

#2 Oct 12, 2010
I do not know
Those were the days

United States

#3 Nov 11, 2010
Connie wrote:
When I was a little girl living in Ladoga, IN, my Dad used to take me to a restaurant downtown Lafayette...maybe West Lafayette, I am not sure. But I think he called it 5th Street Coney Island. It was a little place but always very busy and they had the best coney dogs I believe I have ever tasted anywhere. Does anyone remember this restaurant and is it still there?
I remember it well but I have been gone a long time so I don't know what has happened to it...

I also remember the S&S Cafe on main street where I used to stop for Pie and Coffee.

How about the Cottage Grill that sat on the corner by the bus station on fourth street and the ADO grill on 5 th. and Ferry.

I do know that the Triple X is still in business in West Lafayette...

Remember when MacDonald's first open up on the Levee across from Burt's Drive-in?
Sherry

Harrodsburg, KY

#4 Nov 14, 2010
Those were the days wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember it well but I have been gone a long time so I don't know what has happened to it...
I also remember the S&S Cafe on main street where I used to stop for Pie and Coffee.
How about the Cottage Grill that sat on the corner by the bus station on fourth street and the ADO grill on 5 th. and Ferry.
I do know that the Triple X is still in business in West Lafayette...
Remember when MacDonald's first open up on the Levee across from Burt's Drive-in?
Thank you for your response! It has been so many years ago...just remembering good old times with my dad. Don't remember those other places except for the Triple X but I do remember when McDonalds opened. I am 48 years old and my Dad has passed several years ago. Thinking how good a coney dog would be right now and oh what memories it would bring back!
PEL

Bandy, VA

#5 Jan 31, 2011
My husband and I use to live in Lafayette and loved to go and eat at the Triple X and coney wow brings back great memories
Was There

Ormond Beach, FL

#6 Jan 31, 2011
PEL wrote:
My husband and I use to live in Lafayette and loved to go and eat at the Triple X and coney wow brings back great memories
So did I. But that was pre 1974-
I also hung out at the Huddle Cafe and Sportsman Bar.

Had one hell of a fight in a place called *Starrets on third street one night. Walked in-sat down and some guy jumped me from behind.

No one knew him or why he jumped--It just happened, like so many other things in a college town.

* spelling
PEL

Tazewell, VA

#7 Feb 6, 2011
LOL yeah I remember alot of bars and bar fights in the late 70's and 80's. Some good times I would like to do again. Got some bad one's that I don't care to do over. I went back in 95 and wow how things had changed. Hell I got turnrd around and lost. But sure had fun living there.
Rick

Bedford, IN

#8 Apr 3, 2014
Connie wrote:
When I was a little girl living in Ladoga, IN, my Dad used to take me to a restaurant downtown Lafayette...maybe West Lafayette, I am not sure. But I think he called it 5th Street Coney Island. It was a little place but always very busy and they had the best coney dogs I believe I have ever tasted anywhere. Does anyone remember this restaurant amd is it still there?
Connie , It was downtown . Lafayette . My folks used to take me there . I liked it very much . The building is still there called the Sunshine Café last I was there . I always wish that I had got the Malakis family coney recipe . Nothing like them . I've been around the world in the service and not had any as good . Good memories .
Steve M

Summerfield, FL

#9 Jun 19, 2014
It is now the Sunrise Cafe. At 501 Columbia St. I have tried to get the recipe by email and calling them. They WILL NOT give it out. My gosh, it's just a coney sauce recipe. I lived in Lafafyette in the 60's and went to C.C. High School. Many times after class I would motor down to 5th Street Coney and power down the dogs. I would LOVE to get the recipe. I live in Central Florida now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 party loyalty 98
Review: Vincent M Guido - Dentist Sep 17 Briansaul 7
Indiana officer to keep job after pushing over ... Aug '14 Fight back on bad... 3
SCREWED BY SIA/CTI? Let's talk!! Aug '14 Hoorah 2
New ISP troopers hit the road Aug '14 Idealist101 1
CPS steal kids test pesticides on them Aug '14 Ms Longstreet 1
Large Yard Sale - Inside and Out Aug '14 Becky 1

Stockwell Jobs

Stockwell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Stockwell News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Stockwell

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]