Indiana cougar sightings to become common

Urban dwellers in Indiana can expect to see more cougars, according to a Purdue expert. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
tscmomof4

New Kensington, PA

#1 May 23, 2008
They are not known as bobcats, the other name they are known as is a Mountain Lion and Puma. Bobcats are smaller and are much like a Lynx
Peaches

Panama City, Panama

#2 May 23, 2008
Mountain lions are carnivores. Their preferred food source is deer. So to say that deer fall victim isn't very scientific. Do you report that cows fall victim to McDonald's? People living where cougar sightings are reported need to take extra care of their pets and livestock from dusk to dawn when cougars are hunting for their next meal. We are the responsible ones - they act on instinct.
Tortuga

Chicago, IL

#3 May 24, 2008
If you do see one, run at it, do not away. If you run at it and make a big noise, it should run away.
nature

Cleveland, OH

#4 Jun 14, 2008
like the poster said earlier Cougars and Bobcats are two very distinct species....

That is a pretty bad error. For those not familiar with the wild cats indigenous to North America it can definitely add to the confusion.

Seeing as how The DNR's around the country have a habit of telling people that "they didn't see a "Cougar"... fill in the rest
JPN

AOL

#5 Jul 22, 2008
We saw a big one on a bycicle ride in Park County just north of Bridgeton June 2007. 150 pounds at least.
Celeste

AOL

#6 Jul 28, 2008
tscmomof4 and nature, you are so right. They are two totally different 'big cat's'. That is like saying a lion is also known as a tiger!! What I can't believe is that they are actually trying to educate people with article's like this one. There have been hundreds of sightings in the midwest, and I don't believe that people are confusing Cougars with house-cats.
Will

West Lafayette, IN

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Who cares what they are called. If they are big cats and they could do harm to my family or my property, they will have to "pay the price."
coyotesniper204

Kenilworth, NJ

#8 Oct 25, 2008
I live in South Central Vigo County. I was deer hunting 1.5 mile East of Black Beauties Farmersburg coal mine on October 15th. I seen what I thought was a coyote crossing a cattle pasture. I tried to make rabbit squeal sound with My voice to get it to come in bow range (at this time it was about 130yds. away) but never acknowledged my efforts. I then noticed how short the legs appeared, and the bulkiness of the body.
Deffinately not a coyote. Then it went to a persimmon tree stood up on its back legs and stretched. It then went up the tree. I could not see it anymore after that because of the foliage on the other trees between Me and it.
coyotesniper204

Kenilworth, NJ

#9 Oct 25, 2008
I am not in Kenilworth NJ. I live in Vigo county Indiana. Don't know why it put that as where I am from.
Jimbo

Lafayette, IN

#10 Mar 2, 2009
my best friend told me he seen a mountain lion and i almost started laughing at him he said he was serious and i just said ok and then i went home and told my mom and she said she seen a large dark cat not even a mile away from where my friend said he seen that one.
Jimbo

Lafayette, IN

#11 Mar 2, 2009
the sighting was east of kokomo indiana
Joan

Augusta, GA

#12 Mar 3, 2009
Who cares?
Jimbo

Kokomo, IN

#13 Mar 3, 2009
who cares f*!% you
Matthew

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Mar 30, 2009
i saw large cat prints on my property in switserland county. i heard stories of cougar sightings in the area.then the night of 3-28-09, my friends and family members and i, heard a loud groul from the woods not far away.my sister came running in the house scared and shaken!It sounded like a cougar to us!Cougars are known to kill peaple, I will carry a gun with me when I go out in the woods from now on!
driver monroe cty hwy46E

Chicago, IL

#15 Apr 7, 2009
Saw something in my headlights early in morning 6am first thought it was a small deer, because of size and color. Then it crouched low to the ground and went quickly across road under guard rail. It was no dog or deer. I saw something large tan colored that could hug the ground moving fast....
lynn

Olney, IL

#16 May 20, 2009
Joan wrote:
Who cares?
it is good to that there have been sightings,and it is good that cougars are possibly living in this state. people don't realize that these large carnivores help keep nature in balance as well as black bear and wolves,which i understand there have been sightings of them also. i honestly think it is awesome and i'm glad if they are making a come back, besides how many deer get killed every year in the state of indiana by vehicles? how many people get hurt or die because of this-quite a few. the deer in this state has no known enemies except man and then in turn deer hunting is federally regulated and you can hunt certain time of year and can only have so many tags. cougars, bears and wolves are deer natural enemies and without them our deer population explodes,diseases spread(yes humans can catch animal diseases) more crop destruction; so you see every carnivore in our state would be a blessing instead of a hinderance -balance of nature. i live in southern indiana and have seen cougar tracks and for me i think it is way cool. i also think this is God's wake up call, because weren't we supposed to be the caretakers of all critters from the very beginning of time, it is our job to protect all critters no matter how great or small.
lynn

Olney, IL

#17 May 20, 2009
Matthew wrote:
i saw large cat prints on my property in switserland county. i heard stories of cougar sightings in the area.then the night of 3-28-09, my friends and family members and i, heard a loud groul from the woods not far away.my sister came running in the house scared and shaken!It sounded like a cougar to us!Cougars are known to kill peaple, I will carry a gun with me when I go out in the woods from now on!
if that is a cougar-don't kill it unless it tries to attack,most cougars are quiet,solitary animals and usually stay away from humans. if that was a cougar it could've been a female with cubs, a male thinking you were going to attack it or encroaching on territory it claimed for itself or possibly feeding on a kill that it had made. this happened to me at a friend's house out in the country.
worried in Rush County

Rushville, IN

#18 Sep 8, 2009
I was awaken by my dog barking at 1:30AM in the morning. I stepped out my front door to find a truck pulling up the drive. The gentleman in the truck said that one of my horses was being chased by what looked like a cougar. As he appraoched the animals the horse took off towards the barn, and the cougar ran the opposite direction into the soybean field. The gentlman was visibly shaken and had no idea there were large cats in the area. I checked the horse, no injuries, but was lathered up and very upset. I live in Rush County, Indiana......has anyone else seen a cougar in the area?
Mulligan in southern IN

South Elgin, IL

#19 Sep 11, 2009
I live in Harrison Co. IN in a 24,000 acre state forest along the Ohio River. A few yrs ago a cougar loped out of the woods in front of my truck. My grown daughter & I viewed it for 30 seconds or more, before it stopped, turned and looked at us for a few seconds then went back into the woods on the opposite side of the road. This was on a sunny afternoon & the cat was no more than 30 feet away...no mistaking what it was. Since then, a friend and his grandson who were deer hunting here in the forestry encountered a cougar. They're here.
DevCord

Fort Wayne, IN

#20 Sep 15, 2009
I currently reside in Northeast Indiana (Eastern Allen County). There have been at least four (4) reported sighting...more from locals who say nobody would believe them if they did tell the media. As proven on numerous occasions, we can't depend upon, nor believe the media, so I tend to agree with them.
Of the "reported" sighting, two are recorded on film/video and I've seen both...THESE ARE PUMA/Cougars...NO DOUBT in my mind. I lived in Colorado for a couple of years and have witnessed them in their natural habitat...THEY ARE HERE and these are PUMA. DNA, so I'm told, refute that what we are seeing and claim they are only large housecats (those as seen here were 150 lbs. or more)...Yeah, right. I've never seen a housecat that large.
I certainly DO NOT advocate shooting them UNLESS they approach/attack family, pets or livestock. But I now carry my 44 Mag whenever I enter the woods as they will attack when hungry. They have to eat too...just hope they stay with a DEER diet.

THEY ARE HERE GUYS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Vincent M Guido - Dentist Dec 23 Chiropractor Centre 78
CPS, Judge Faith Graham, others Torturing Jamel... Dec 17 troy 5
Shut down hotels/motels Nov '14 JCjc 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '14 freetek 32
Robotic surgery improves hysterectomy (Jan '09) Oct '14 Jaimie 18
guys in lafayette NOT to date Oct '14 Sue 1
Cross Winds Apartments (Sep '13) Oct '14 jess 2
Stockwell Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web