Sikh man barred from wearing turban i...

Sikh man barred from wearing turban in court

There are 235 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Nov 10, 2008, titled Sikh man barred from wearing turban in court. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

A San Joaquin County Superior Court judge says a Sikh man facing trial over the murder of his daughter's former boyfriend will have to appear before jurors without his turban.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Mike

Oakland, CA

#1 Nov 10, 2008
Hello! 911 A.C.L.U.
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#2 Nov 10, 2008
Ummmmm, HELLO!
Maybe the judge was just trying to give a little "fashion tip".
It is perfectly acceptable in some middle eastern countries to kill your wife, sister, or own daughter if she is perceived as not being pure.
Call it an injustice to his civil rights all you want, but, he is allowed a fair trial in this country and perhaps the judge understands that him insisting on wearing a turban isn't going to do him any favors.
If he pleads guilty and wants his turban, let him have it. He can hang himself or someone else can strangle him with it once he gets to prison.
His turban could be seen as prejudicial one way or the other.
Either for or against him.
Sorry, that does not equate the likelihood of a fair trial.
And it's not the same as not being allowed to wear pants.
Unless his genitals are on his forehead.
I'm not a prejudiced person.
But a lot of people are.
This is a murder case and if the defendant wants to turn it into a religious scanario, it could seriously backfire.
After 911 and all the racial profiling claims, perhaps the judge was trying to avoid that in the interest of justice on hehalf of the defendent.
Ironknee

Alamo, CA

#3 Nov 10, 2008
The Sikh wear "turbans" to control the unshorn hair kept as a religious observance. They also carry a small knife as part of their religious observance. Honor killing is also a part of his tradition. This person is indicted for murder. The suspension of his civil rights are directly related to his criminal indictment, and reasonable given the violent nature of the crime. The ACLU will not waste their resources on this case. If all Sikh were prohibited from wearing turbans in court, this would be a problem, however, they are not allowed their knives in court, and reasonably do not object.
After conviction, many males are shorn, as long hair can be used to make ropes, garrotes, etc. His actions have resulted in his shame.
sikh gurl

Sacramento, CA

#5 Nov 10, 2008
he is a moran, he can't wear a turban in the jail. I should worry more about the charges he is facing thn wearing turban. now he is becoming religious and thinking god will save him. he is just trying to gain support from sikhs. it is just too clear what he is trying to do. He gave up all his rights, when he took someone's life.
sikh gurl

Sacramento, CA

#6 Nov 10, 2008
he should worry more about the charges *****
peace_lover

Birmingham, UK

#7 Nov 10, 2008
sikh gurl wrote:
he is a moran, he can't wear a turban in the jail. I should worry more about the charges he is facing thn wearing turban. now he is becoming religious and thinking god will save him. he is just trying to gain support from sikhs. it is just too clear what he is trying to do. He gave up all his rights, when he took someone's life.
I understand what your saying and agree with you to a certain extent but surely everyone has the right to practice thier religion right?
poster

UK

#8 Nov 10, 2008
sikh gurl wrote:
he is a moran, he can't wear a turban in the jail. I should worry more about the charges he is facing thn wearing turban. now he is becoming religious and thinking god will save him. he is just trying to gain support from sikhs. it is just too clear what he is trying to do. He gave up all his rights, when he took someone's life.
yeah I agree - a real moron.
Jaded

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Nov 10, 2008
peace_lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what your saying and agree with you to a certain extent but surely everyone has the right to practice thier religion right?
Why do I get the feeling that the turban is part of his defense as in he killed the man due to the family's honor and the turban is just a visual prop of that. He might be hoping to get a manslaughter charge if the jury doesn't buy his 'honor' argument whcih they won't. His civil or religious rights aren't being violated at all
Yawn

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Nov 10, 2008
I grew up with a yong sikh boy. Being the ubnoxious nor cal boys we were, he was always the first targtted in dodge ball. Admittedly because everyone just wanted to knock his turban off. which we did regularly. He gave as good as he got, don't worry - and I will also add that he was an obnoxious nor cal boy too and had his own fun - but none of this is my point.

My point is, never once did I see a ritual knife fall out of his turban.

Until an earlier poster said this, I would never have associated the two.

I suspect it is rumor, and untruth (although I do not necessarily think the earlier poster is being deliberately dishonest).
Tom Tom

Arcata, CA

#11 Nov 10, 2008
The next thing you know someone will bring a basket of snakes to their trial as a religious symbol...

“I will now use my Lirpa”

Since: Aug 08

Washington DC

#12 Nov 10, 2008
Dress Code.

Rules say
No Hats
No Barefeet
No Tank Tops
SCDrunkard

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Nov 10, 2008
to Yawn-the ritual knife is real in fact the Union City School district in the east bay had to make a rule that the Sikh kids could not bring the dagger to school. The usual whiners in the Sikh community said it was for their honor and they needed to do for their religion. At this point the school district told the sikh community that they should educate their kids somewhere else since the public school district was having none of it. Once faced with the prospect of sending their kids to an expensive private school it suddenly became a non issue among the sikhs. Funny how that works
nobody

United States

#14 Nov 10, 2008
peace_lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what your saying and agree with you to a certain extent but surely everyone has the right to practice thier religion right?
no
Yawn

Jacksonville, FL

#16 Nov 10, 2008
Well I'll be!
Well count me as educated-ed.
That's news to me! My friend's family must have just decided not to hold that particular tradition!
Someone

Spruce Grove, Canada

#18 Nov 27, 2008
Excuse all of you people it was all that girl's fault. She was the one who got pregnant in the first place and it is against Sikh religion.
Someone

Spruce Grove, Canada

#19 Nov 27, 2008
I agree that everyone has their own lives and can rule over it however they want to but that girl was living with her parents and had to do whatever they would say. If she did not want to listen to them then why live with them.
justice for baby

Nottingham, UK

#20 Nov 28, 2008
he took revenge against a real murderer. no one in this 21st century seems to care that an innnocent foetus was killed. She was the real murderer. If i was that baby I would be proud of him going against the so called 'law' and delivering justice
Preachers Kid

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Nov 28, 2008
anonymous wrote:
Ummmmm, HELLO!
Maybe the judge was just trying to give a little "fashion tip".
It is perfectly acceptable in some middle eastern countries to kill your wife, sister, or own daughter if she is perceived as not being pure.
Call it an injustice to his civil rights all you want, but, he is allowed a fair trial in this country and perhaps the judge understands that him insisting on wearing a turban isn't going to do him any favors.
If he pleads guilty and wants his turban, let him have it. He can hang himself or someone else can strangle him with it once he gets to prison.
His turban could be seen as prejudicial one way or the other.
Either for or against him.
Sorry, that does not equate the likelihood of a fair trial.
And it's not the same as not being allowed to wear pants.
Unless his genitals are on his forehead.
I'm not a prejudiced person.
But a lot of people are.
This is a murder case and if the defendant wants to turn it into a religious scanario, it could seriously backfire.
After 911 and all the racial profiling claims, perhaps the judge was trying to avoid that in the interest of justice on hehalf of the defendent.
Are you of the same customs as this man?

This is what I found with regards to turbans
"When a Sikh man or woman dons a turban, the turban ceases to be just a piece of cloth and becomes one and the same with the Sikh's head. The turban as well as the other articles of faith worn by Sikhs have an immense spiritual as well as temporal significance. The symbolism of wearing a turban are many from it being regarded as a symbol of sovereignty, dedication, self-respect, courage and piety but the reason all practicing Sikhs wear the turban is just one - out of love and obedience of the wishes of the founders of their faith."
sunis are 2faced snakes

UK

#23 Nov 28, 2008
Howard B wrote:
I think that when a "Sikh" wants to stick a toilet rag on their heads, be forced to take one off and throw it in the trash. This is America and we don't stand for crap like that. I work at an airport and target those rag-heads, and if possible make them miss their flight.
The true racist face of so called "whites".

I will be sure to sent your comment to the appropriate sources.
USWhitesare2face dsnake

UK

#24 Nov 28, 2008
Howard B states that he works in the airline industry and this is what he and most likely his racist collegues do too.
Their background is soiled by slavery and genocide of native indians and got knows what else!
anyone reading this, please sent what Howard B said to all airlines industry and united sikhs etc. please

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Angel "Big Ed" Eduardo Hernandez (Nov '10) 13 hr Original bosses 3
Poll SUSTAINABLE JOBs/new Business Creations IN Agri... May 26 Un agenda 21 and ... 10
Legalize COCKFIGHTING in AGRI ZONINGS to fund p... (Mar '13) May 22 Un agenda 21 and ... 47
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) May 22 Brittle Fingers 17,026
News Pay raises for Gov. Jerry Brown, state legislat... May 20 Un agenda 21 and ... 3
Constitutional/Private PROPERTY Rights & UN Age... May 19 Un agenda 21 and ... 3
News Mystery Smell Blows Into Stockton (Oct '09) May 11 No Name 12
More from around the web

Stockton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]