Moving to Stockton from England

Moving to Stockton from England

Posted in the Stockton Forum

Ian4891

Nottingham, UK

#1 Sep 13, 2013
Hello all,
I am currently in a position where I may be offered a professional position in Stockton and would like to know more about the place if any locals have the time.
Which areas are good to rent in? Which areas are particularly bad?
What is there to do in Stockton? Moving from England I will likely spend my early days acting like a tourist and visiting large parts of California in general but is there much to do in the area after my honeymoon period has faded?
Is it really as crime ridden as the internet would lead me to believe? I'm sure you may run into trouble if you’re a meth smoking gang member but how save is it for the average law abiding person?
Sorry for the list of questions but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I would like to assess the situation before moving 4000 miles from my comfortable yet dreary little island to a strange land far away.
Thank you in advance.
Shona77

Modesto, CA

#2 Sep 13, 2013
How often do you get an opportunity like this? Even after the 'honeymoon' Stockton has things going on, and is near historic towns, and the Delta... and is an hour or so to the Bay Area, 40 minutest to State Capital, Sacramento, a couple of hours to the snow and skiing, 3 hour maybe to Reno if you like to try your luck there. Renting- I probably wouldn't rent south of Highway 4,and down town and east of downtown, there are some sketchy areas. But you'll be able to tell as soon as you drive by. There are nearby cities like Lodi or Manteca too. I believe you shouldn't miss this chance! And depending on what you like to do, you can probably find it here, or nearby! I love my house, I love my neighbors, seems like it must not be too bad for average law abiding people. I've lived here seven years.
Ian4891

Nottingham, UK

#3 Sep 16, 2013
As I said I doubt I will ever get an opportunity like this again. it’s just daunting to move so far when you have no family and friends on the same continent!
Thanks for the info on renting, I know my home town can be pretty bad in places and as the internet generally only reports doom and gloom I had no idea what to expect from Stockton. I think I will grasp this chance with both hands, after all I will never know unless I do it.
If you happen upon a confused and slightly lost looking Englishman in the near future then it may be me!

Since: Aug 11

Riverbank, CA

#4 Sep 16, 2013
I'm sorry it has to be stockton u are moving too. It's an s hole
shona77

Sacramento, CA

#5 Sep 16, 2013
Ian4891 wrote:
As I said I doubt I will ever get an opportunity like this again. it’s just daunting to move so far when you have no family and friends on the same continent!
Thanks for the info on renting, I know my home town can be pretty bad in places and as the internet generally only reports doom and gloom I had no idea what to expect from Stockton. I think I will grasp this chance with both hands, after all I will never know unless I do it.
If you happen upon a confused and slightly lost looking Englishman in the near future then it may be me!
I will watch for you! You will make friends and family here too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three sea otters that washed up on California's... 8 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Sun Legal Analyst 17,324
Haunted House? (Aug '06) Sat Creepy Honeybrook... 175
News Barbara Boxer speaks at Women's Equality Day lu... Aug 27 YouDidntBuildThat 2
Johnny Jacobs (1916-1982), TV Announcer Aug 3 Kevin FitzMaurice 1
Silva Aug 1 RiccardoFire 1
News Jodie Emiko Yamaguchi (Nov '10) Jul '16 Luke 2

Stockton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stockton Mortgages