Garbage Diggers........

Posted in the Stockton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Fed Up Stocktonian

Modesto, CA

#1 Aug 7, 2007
WHy are the people rummaging through our neighborhoods garbage bins? Is this not illegal?
Why is the PD/sheriff doing nothing to stop them?

TOnight I was driving down a city street while two people were walking the neigborhood going from trash can to trash can. A City Police Officer drove right by them without even slowing....

WTF?

Since: Jul 07

Modesto, CA

#2 Sep 16, 2007
Fed Up Stocktonian wrote:
WHy are the people rummaging through our neighborhoods garbage bins? Is this not illegal?
TOnight I was driving down a city street while two people were walking the neigborhood going from trash can to trash can. A City Police Officer drove right by them without even slowing....
WTF?
If you got hungry enough you would eat out of a trash can too.
james howarth

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Sep 25, 2007
In the new world order our wastrel ways are over. Now, there is a real competition to obtain sustenance from castoffs. This is just the beginning. The halcyon days are fore will be distant memories.

Since: Jan 07

United States

#4 Oct 15, 2007
WTF?
I don't know if it is illegal or not but if it is I doubt the police would see it as a high priority. I caught a man going through my trash can one morning at 3:00am. When I confronted him he acted as if he had a right to do what he was doing. I told him that I recycle all my cans and bottles. He acted as if I was lying and continued to tear open the garbage bags. I offered him food which he turned down so he obviously was not looking for food.

Modesto, CA

#5 Oct 15, 2007
lovelyenchantress wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if it is illegal or not but if it is I doubt the police would see it as a high priority. I caught a man going through my trash can one morning at 3:00am. When I confronted him he acted as if he had a right to do what he was doing. I told him that I recycle all my cans and bottles. He acted as if I was lying and continued to tear open the garbage bags. I offered him food which he turned down so he obviously was not looking for food.
Obviously he wasn't. That guy should not have continued after you advised him there were no recyclables in there. Did he make a mess as well? I had one guy leave a hell of a mess a few months ago...
Fed Up Stocktonian

Modesto, CA

#6 Oct 16, 2007
Michael Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
If you got hungry enough you would eat out of a trash can too.
I doubt many of them are looking for food. They are digging for cans & such.
In My neighborhood, one man goes out every garbage day to go through the neighbors trash...he lives a block away.

hardly looking for food.
Fed Up Stocktonian

Modesto, CA

#7 Oct 16, 2007
lovelyenchantress wrote:
<quoted text>
I caught a man going through my trash can one morning at 3:00am. When I confronted him he acted as if he had a right to do what he was doing. I told him that I recycle all my cans and bottles. He acted as if I was lying and continued to tear open the garbage bags. I offered him food which he turned down so he obviously was not looking for food.
Agreed.

Its becoming a probelm, I feel. No one should dig through your trash, its getting to the point where we need locking garbage cans.
Fed Up Stocktonian

Modesto, CA

#8 Oct 16, 2007
Michael Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously he wasn't. That guy should not have continued after you advised him there were no recyclables in there. Did he make a mess as well? I had one guy leave a hell of a mess a few months ago...
We had a guy actually COME UP OUR DRIVEWAY and go through our can while piling trash on our driveway. Horrible. When I went out to see what the hell the noise was, he cursed me and tossed a old bottle of ketchup at me before taking off.

THAT is why I started this thread...it takes gall to come onto someone property to dig through their trash and curse them...imagine all the elderly folks out there who this may happen to....

Modesto, CA

#9 Oct 16, 2007
<quoted text>
We had a guy actually COME UP OUR DRIVEWAY and go through our can while piling trash on our driveway. Horrible. When I went out to see what the hell the noise was, he cursed me and tossed a old bottle of ketchup at me before taking off.
THAT is why I started this thread...it takes gall to come onto someone property to dig through their trash and curse them...imagine all the elderly folks out there who this may happen to....
Damn that is way over the top. That is trespassing and at least a case of disturbing the peace. Maybe even attempted assault. I hope you made a report to the police dept.
Fed Up Stocktonian

Modesto, CA

#10 Oct 21, 2007
Michael Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn that is way over the top. That is trespassing and at least a case of disturbing the peace. Maybe even attempted assault. I hope you made a report to the police dept.
I did report it, but was basically brushed off with the same response as above

" Theyre Hungry...donate to charity for the homeless" or something similar. Of course, that helps, and I do donate and volunteer my time, yet it is not the Job of the police to Patrol the neighborhoods for safety? Is that not what we pay them for?
When A Police officer drives by someone digging in a trash can, he should, at the very least Stop to see whats going on...

Perhaps sitting at Carrows for 2-3 hours per shift IS what we pay them for...or perhaps they moonlight at carrows (as a deterrent for robbers?)
abcs

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Dec 3, 2007
there looking for any credit card numbers bank info ss numbers food and cloths trash is public domain once it hits the curb or bin. shred pensonal info and not worry about it if there nothing to find they go away
Pissed off in Simi Valley

United States

#12 Feb 21, 2008
less than 1 hour ago I catch an Asian couple going through my trash, specifically the recycle bin.
I immediately raced outside & screamed 'what the hell are you doing'?

They were emptying the trash can in front of my house!!!

Unbelievable, absolute losers!
I made the woman pick up the trash, put it back in & insulted her repeatedly, the man just looked on like an idiot.

My purpose was to purely insult them, I'm sure some neighbors were watching - priceless!

Do it again & I'll break your face, its that simple
moxy

Stockton, CA

#13 Mar 31, 2008
I'm afraid of them taking something with vital info..and stealing my identity!!

I could care less if they take the cans.
WTF?
PROUD STOCKTONIAN

Stockton, CA

#14 Apr 1, 2008
Your trash may be someone else's treasure..
Lulu

West Covina, CA

#15 Apr 18, 2008
For your info, it is not illegal to go thru trash that's put out by the curb as long as the trash is not on your property. The curb is no longer your property.
Pissed off in Simi Valley wrote:
less than 1 hour ago I catch an Asian couple going through my trash, specifically the recycle bin.
I immediately raced outside & screamed 'what the hell are you doing'?
They were emptying the trash can in front of my house!!!
Unbelievable, absolute losers!
I made the woman pick up the trash, put it back in & insulted her repeatedly, the man just looked on like an idiot.
My purpose was to purely insult them, I'm sure some neighbors were watching - priceless!
Do it again & I'll break your face, its that simple
Lulu

West Covina, CA

#16 Apr 18, 2008
Don't put anything in the trash that you don't want someone to find such as identity info! Trash on the curb becomes public property!
moxy wrote:
I'm afraid of them taking something with vital info..and stealing my identity!!
I could care less if they take the cans.
<quoted text>
Mike

United States

#17 Oct 6, 2008
I just caught one going through a container I had bought to put the cans in. This was I thought a deterrent but he came half way down my driveway and opened the container.. This is actually burglary since he had to enter a structure to do it. Also if they are on your property it is trespassing. In CA if you warn the person once and they come back you can make a citizens arrest.My situation was diffrent he was Mexocan and stated he did not speak english so I raised my voice and almost threw him off my property. I actually put a lock on the container this morning though -- Also I checked with the disposal company the trash is your personal property until it is deposited in the truck -- Something to consider....
Mike

United States

#18 Oct 6, 2008
Sorry for the typos
Mike

United States

#19 Oct 6, 2008
Any Ideas to try and stop these people what I call garbage digger's -- Maybe get some exploding dye packs like the banks use to mark stolen money. That would sure make their day-----
Vic

Columbus, OH

#20 Nov 4, 2008
I'm not from CA, but actually from Ohio, and I have to say I cannot believe some of the negative things I am reading in these posts. Wow, are you truely that insensitive, especially referring to the guy who gets off on insulting old asian people for looking for recyclables. Maybe, instead of letting the trash companies rake in all the profits both from the city, for trash clean up, and from american industry for recycling, you should let the small guy get a piece of the pie. If you don't want these people on your property, which is understandable, just mark a bin "for the less fortunate" and place it post your line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Tue leashbomb 17,060
News Stabbing of Muslim woman in Antioch shopping ce... (Jun '13) Aug 23 Tyrese 28
News Slaying victim's family hopes answers are near (Nov '07) Aug 12 unknown 42
want to nude skype/oovoo girls (Jan '15) Aug 10 trap_king124 3
Comcast is a horrible place to work (Jun '08) Aug 8 Truth 143
News Fear mongering in Spreckels will have been in vain Aug 7 I am sorry 1
News Vaccine Didn't Cause Girl's 'Autism-Like' Illness Aug 7 Another VACCINE V... 61
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stockton Mortgages