Immigrants support area

Immigrants support area

There are 27 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jun 10, 2010, titled Immigrants support area. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Foreign-born workers make up a quarter of state workers who are employed in the leisure and tourism industry, according to a report that was released Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karen

North Uxbridge, MA

#21 Jun 11, 2010
truth wrote:
20% "that we know of" Ask the gulf people about estimated %'s. Legal or Illegal-- either their here to stay and become legal or their gone, and the employer is fined. Are we a nation built on fundamentals or do we live by "bottom feeding lawyers" who twist the rules??????
Bottom-feeding lawyers are making a killing supporting the illegal aliens and if anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying.
Karen

North Uxbridge, MA

#22 Jun 11, 2010
Skeptical Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
Mission
The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc.(ILC) is a year-round, not-for-profit adult education center located in Malden, Massachusetts, six miles north of Boston. Our mission is to provide free English classes to immigrant and refugee adults to give them sufficient knowledge of English to lead productive lives in the United States. Our goal is to help them become successful workers, parents and community members. The ILC also promotes immigrants as assets to America.
Let me guess, your policy is also "don't ask, don't tell" as far as illegal aliens attending your English classes. Right? I don't oppose legal immigrants learning English, I prefer it, but you no doubt also help illegal aliens.
Karen

North Uxbridge, MA

#23 Jun 11, 2010
wizardbard wrote:
Does this say it all??? What we're talking about is cheap labor, nothing more, nothing less.
The Berkshire Regional Employment Board, and the Berkshire Immigrant Center joined the Immigrant Learning Center in unveiling the report's findings Thursday at the Red Lion Inn.
In a state with a declining population, the influx of immigrants has been essential to the economy stability, the report's proponents said.
"If not for these foreign-born workers, our economy would be much less competitive than it is today," said James Jennings, research leader for the study.
With millions of Americans out of work and high school graduates unable to find work, I find that the Berkshire Eagle is more like an ostrich with its head stuck in the sand.
Dick Nixon

Williamstown, MA

#24 Jun 11, 2010
Karen wrote:
<quoted text>
Bottom-feeding lawyers are making a killing supporting the illegal aliens and if anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying.
My dear they have been doing this for years, remember all those Russian defectors. Why the sudden interest or peeve?
Lefty Lou

Northville, NY

#26 Jun 11, 2010
I spoke to a young woman waiting for BRTA to pick her up today about drivers from stopping every two blocks and she said yes, she pointed to my watch and looked at me with a furled brow, I said "aproximadamente unos diez minutos". I could see that from the $3.75 USD she put into the fare box and the transfer that she recieved from the excellent driver, I would say this young woman worked in Pittsfield and lived in Great Barrington.

Yo no hablo castellano y no me importa.

I feel but cannot reach anymore.
cbb

Lee, MA

#27 Jun 11, 2010
My wife and I are doing our part. Both of us joined Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts a couple of years ago. We've helped many immigrants learn English and it is quite rewarding. We think of it as a nice way to assist others, and in our family everyone of our grandparents were immigrants to this great country.

We've also been exposed to many illegal immigrants, and have turned in quite a few in just two years. This is quite rewarding also.
Living in GB

Alton, NH

#28 Jun 12, 2010
cbb wrote:
My wife and I are doing our part. Both of us joined Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts a couple of years ago. We've helped many immigrants learn English and it is quite rewarding. We think of it as a nice way to assist others, and in our family everyone of our grandparents were immigrants to this great country.
We've also been exposed to many illegal immigrants, and have turned in quite a few in just two years. This is quite rewarding also.
Keep up the good work !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds: ATM skimmer admits stealing $127,000 1 hr Nathaniel 2
News At Lenox service, community leader issues call ... Thu The Worlds Bigges... 26
News Bones, likely human, found in Great Barrington (Jun '10) Jan 13 Glenn 36
News Downtown Pittsfield losing four stores; three p... (Oct '13) Dec 24 Cops are degenerates 13
News `We're hiding the pain': Friday morning. 10 deg... Dec '16 Cops are degenerates 7
News Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes (Mar '09) Dec '16 Eve D 296
News A few of our favorite Berkshire things Dec '16 Arthur 3

Stockbridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stockbridge Mortgages