Immigrants support area

Foreign-born workers make up a quarter of state workers who are employed in the leisure and tourism industry, according to a report that was released Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Deece

Weymouth, MA

#1 Jun 10, 2010
When will we be seeing an article about how native born, US Citizens help support the area? I'm sure your staff is working on it feverishly.

The Berkshire Eagle is becoming a joke. You don't even bother trying to mask your bias. I guess objectivity isn't on the top of your priority list.
Phone line

Altamont, NY

#2 Jun 10, 2010
These disgusting, vile creatures think a phone number dedicated to reporting employers of illegals "smacks of Nazi Germany" because it "turns neighbor against neighbor."

Turning a blind eye to crimes is the new standard of being a good citizen, according to them.

Let's follow their logic to the bitter end, shall we?

No more phone numbers to report shady contractors. They are our neighbors, after all.

No more phone numbers to report the gas station or home oil dealer who's gouging customers during a temporary shortage of fuel.

No more phone numbers to report people who abuse or kill animals. They are neighbors. The guy who killed all those rabbits? He's our neighbor. Don't call.

And most importantly, let's shut down the domestic violence hot lines. After all, they turn family members against each other, right?

Liberals + thought = dangerous.
truth

Clifton Park, NY

#3 Jun 11, 2010
20% "that we know of" Ask the gulf people about estimated %'s. Legal or Illegal-- either their here to stay and become legal or their gone, and the employer is fined. Are we a nation built on fundamentals or do we live by "bottom feeding lawyers" who twist the rules??????
Betty

Springfield, MA

#4 Jun 11, 2010
"Smacks of Nazi Germany"? Does this mean we should also not report anyone to the drug tip line? Not report witnessing an accident or other law being broken? A law is a law and until it is changed should be upheld like every law.
Savannah

AOL

#5 Jun 11, 2010
So are we saying all the unemployed Americans don't want these jobs?
jon

Kingston, NY

#6 Jun 11, 2010
What happened to the Tax paring workers who are displaced by the lower Taxed illegal???????
Union Members

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2010
Let me guess, they're also SEIU Union members?
frankthepug

Adams, MA

#8 Jun 11, 2010
Just a coincidence that the study was funded by the 'Immigrant Learning Center', I'm sure.
Hey Eagle

Altamont, NY

#9 Jun 11, 2010
Hey Eagle. You're not converting anyone to your illogical stance on the issue of immigrants and you know it.

So what is the real reason you publish this tripe?
Skeptical Onlooker

Chester, MA

#10 Jun 11, 2010
frankthepug wrote:
Just a coincidence that the study was funded by the 'Immigrant Learning Center', I'm sure.
Mission

The Immigrant Learning Center, Inc.(ILC) is a year-round, not-for-profit adult education center located in Malden, Massachusetts, six miles north of Boston. Our mission is to provide free English classes to immigrant and refugee adults to give them sufficient knowledge of English to lead productive lives in the United States. Our goal is to help them become successful workers, parents and community members. The ILC also promotes immigrants as assets to America.
Fix it

Altamont, NY

#11 Jun 11, 2010
Skeptical Onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>The ILC also promotes immigrants as assets to America.
Here' lets fix that:

The ILC ONLY promotes immigrants as assets to America.

The rest is just a smokescreen.
Sam Houston

South Windsor, CT

#12 Jun 11, 2010
If they are LEGAL immigrants fine, if they are CRIMINAL IMMIGRANTS round them up and SHIP THEM HOME.

If you are employing CRIMINALS you should be JAILED.
HATEman

Schenectady, NY

#13 Jun 11, 2010
It will only be a matter of time before we have illegals EVERYWHERE, it's bad enough they're at Price Rite shopping and Big Y laundering money at the Western Union counter.
Losing out

Altamont, NY

#14 Jun 11, 2010
HATEman wrote:
It will only be a matter of time before we have illegals EVERYWHERE, it's bad enough they're at Price Rite shopping and Big Y laundering money at the Western Union counter.
Those idiots who take a half hour to Western Union their ill-gotten cash back to Mexico cause the state to lose money on the lottery. If I can't get my scratch ticket at the customer service counter, I go home and keep the cash in my pocket.
GGG

North Adams, MA

#15 Jun 11, 2010
The magic word ILLEGAL LAW BREAKERS GO HOME OR TO JAIL
fed up

Springfield, MA

#16 Jun 11, 2010
The people who are in charge of these Berkshire County Immigrant circles are on our grant money. They are like the people the tout, freeloaders and carpetbaggers. They just want to do so much. Stick another piece sign on your car and a FREE TIBET sign on your bumper.
wizardbard

San Leandro, CA

#17 Jun 11, 2010
Does this say it all??? What we're talking about is cheap labor, nothing more, nothing less.

The Berkshire Regional Employment Board, and the Berkshire Immigrant Center joined the Immigrant Learning Center in unveiling the report's findings Thursday at the Red Lion Inn.

In a state with a declining population, the influx of immigrants has been essential to the economy stability, the report's proponents said.

"If not for these foreign-born workers, our economy would be much less competitive than it is today," said James Jennings, research leader for the study.
Reality

Gilbertville, MA

#18 Jun 11, 2010
Really? noone has a problem with immigrants. There are laws that must be followed so we can sustain our standard of living. Will a sociologist please get a name for this mental illness that makes people so over compassionate that they can't see the big picture? The people that own restaurants are just making more money by hiring illegls there is nothing noble in that. If I lived in a 3rd world country I'd sneak in here too, but that doesn't make it right. My God go read a book. Illegal immigrants are criminals, sorry but we don't have the budget or the room for everyone in the world and it's time we stopped entertaining these fools that are so desperate to feel good about THEMSELVES that they will ruin our economy for our children. I'm also sick of the Williamstown / Gt. Barrington crews spewing crap that they are economically shielded from. How much time is spent teaching English to elementary school kids in Williamstown?? Ms. Greene send your kids to Holyoke public school ---didn't think so. That says it all.
The unspoken truth

Altamont, NY

#19 Jun 11, 2010
The unspoken truth is that even with the many hardworking illegals, the net effect on our economy of their presence is NEGATIVE $4 BILLION A YEAR.

That means that the restaurant owner who just padded his profits by a grand or two a year is costing the taxpayers millions.

Bet you greedy vermin are proud of that, eh?
Karen

Worcester, MA

#20 Jun 11, 2010
Deece wrote:
When will we be seeing an article about how native born, US Citizens help support the area? I'm sure your staff is working on it feverishly.
The Berkshire Eagle is becoming a joke. You don't even bother trying to mask your bias. I guess objectivity isn't on the top of your priority list.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. The paper couldn't be more obvious about whose side they are on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stockbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boys & Girls Club of Pittsfield executive direc... (Nov '13) 22 hr Praxis33 11
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Sep 11 whimmersmith 4,702
Solar project on rebound in Lee, Lenox? Sep 10 Weird 2
Ex-chief Buffis pleads not guilty in federal court (Aug '13) Sep 1 Praxis33 11
Photo in Sarah's bedroom Sep 1 Gail Hawthorne 1
question Aug '14 david schwab 1
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
•••
•••
Stockbridge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Stockbridge Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Stockbridge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE