Jimmy Carter says leave marriage to s...

Jimmy Carter says leave marriage to states

There are 15 comments on the PlanetOut story from Sep 14, 2006, titled Jimmy Carter says leave marriage to states. In it, PlanetOut reports that:

While speaking to an audience at Emory University in Atlanta on Wednesday, former President Jimmy Carter said individual states should decide whether to allow same-sex couples to wed, not the federal ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PlanetOut.

rdg1234

Pottstown, PA

#1 Sep 14, 2006
Fine, actually, so long as federal rights are recognized for and extended to all wedded individuals in the states which "allow" it.(Come on, you guys; I can't seem to get past how weird it is to talk about allowing something that is obviously a right.)
DC Gay

Washington, DC

#2 Sep 14, 2006
hmm. he doesn't state whether he believes that the full faith and privilege clause of the constitution should apply. The courts have historically found exceptions to the full portability of marriage contracts across state lines, but it is rare. DOMA precludes it and much more as of now.
Rob in NY

Ronkonkoma, NY

#3 Sep 14, 2006
rdg1234 wrote:
Fine, actually, so long as federal rights are recognized for and extended to all wedded individuals in the states which "allow" it.(Come on, you guys; I can't seem to get past how weird it is to talk about allowing something that is obviously a right.)
I love and admire Jimmy Carter.... everything he has done, and his books... I think he is a wonderful human being, and deserved his Nobel Prize...

However, he and I will just have to be in disagreement on this one... the article quoted him as saying,

""You can't take away what people believe in, and laws should be based on what each state believes in," he said, "because each one has their different beliefs."

I don't give a shit what people believe in... The only beliefs that matter in my pursuit of happiness (which is a guarantee in our Bill of Rights), are my own..

He is simply wrong...
DC Gay

Washington, DC

#4 Sep 14, 2006
Rob, I'm not so sure. If DOMA were not in place, then a state by state fight for same-sex marriage rights would parallel other marriage contract shifts in history. Granted, the federal appelate courts would eventually step in and finish off the holdouts all at once. It's the continued existence of DOMA that sets our fight apart. I'm hoping judicial review strikes it down. If that's what he's thinking, then it's a savy position.
Rob in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
I love and admire Jimmy Carter.... everything he has done, and his books... I think he is a wonderful human being, and deserved his Nobel Prize...
However, he and I will just have to be in disagreement on this one... the article quoted him as saying,
""You can't take away what people believe in, and laws should be based on what each state believes in," he said, "because each one has their different beliefs."
I don't give a shit what people believe in... The only beliefs that matter in my pursuit of happiness (which is a guarantee in our Bill of Rights), are my own..
He is simply wrong...
dances with weebles

Santo André, Brazil

#5 Sep 14, 2006
Rob in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
He is simply wrong...
no... i believe that what he's trying to say is that the federal gov't should stick to doing what it's suposed to do and leave the states laws alone. without bush and his cronies each state, or at least some of them, would have a much better shot at getting something favorable through. if the feds stick their noses into the matter and pas a one size fits all type of law, then it's going to be much more difficult to fight.
Rob in NY

Ronkonkoma, NY

#6 Sep 14, 2006
DC Gay wrote:
Rob, I'm not so sure. If DOMA were not in place, then a state by state fight for same-sex marriage rights would parallel other marriage contract shifts in history. Granted, the federal appelate courts would eventually step in and finish off the holdouts all at once. It's the continued existence of DOMA that sets our fight apart. I'm hoping judicial review strikes it down. If that's what he's thinking, then it's a savy position.
<quoted text>
I know you are right,,,, I just hope it plays out that way..
rdg1234

Pottstown, PA

#7 Sep 14, 2006
Rob in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
He is simply wrong...
maybe i had a sixth sense not to go off on him because you would say this :D
Mexican Border Launch

Pittsburg, CA

#8 Sep 15, 2006
Jimmy Carter is anti Federation? hehe. Hey, I think California should leagalize weed for anyone over 18. does that make me bad?
Tom Reid

United States

#9 Sep 15, 2006
Mexican Border Launch wrote:
Jimmy Carter is anti Federation? hehe. Hey, I think California should leagalize weed for anyone over 18. does that make me bad?
No, it just makes you-----you. But.....oh forget it.
Mexican Border Launch

Pittsburg, CA

#10 Sep 15, 2006
haha Yer stoned, arnt ya?
Spocks Brain

Seattle, WA

#11 Sep 16, 2006
Jimmy Carter is a total emmbarrassement and should be required to sit in a rocker cracking peanuts and keep his opinions to himself. He does not speak for me or MY Government.
dances with weebles

Diadema, Brazil

#12 Sep 16, 2006
Spocks Brain wrote:
Jimmy Carter is a total emmbarrassement and should be required to sit in a rocker cracking peanuts and keep his opinions to himself. He does not speak for me or MY Government.
uh... which spock is that? is it dr. spock or mr. spock?
Rob in NY

Hewitt, NJ

#13 Sep 16, 2006
Spocks Brain wrote:
Actually, he does... Since he has been an ex-president, he has been used by every president since to negotiate treaties and agreements.. He stopped a military showdown between the US and North Korea about ten years ago,,,, negotiated a great peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians in Oslo, Norway about 6 years ago (before Arafat derailed it)...and has represented the US all over the world.... He does and will continue to speak for you and your government whenever asked to do so...

As for his books and personal opinions, he never claimed to speak for you, did he?
dances with weebles

Diadema, Brazil

#14 Sep 16, 2006
Rob in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he does... Since he has been an ex-president, he has been used by every president since to negotiate treaties and agreements.. He stopped a military showdown between the US and North Korea about ten years ago,,,, negotiated a great peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians in Oslo, Norway about 6 years ago (before Arafat derailed it)...and has represented the US all over the world.... He does and will continue to speak for you and your government whenever asked to do so...
As for his books and personal opinions, he never claimed to speak for you, did he?
not only that, but, unlike other past presidents who are more comfortable resting on their rather uncomfortable laurels and building libraries to house their own memoirs, mr. carter has built (among other things) the carter foundation which helps anybody in need worldwide... he has also spent his presonal time banging nails right along with the 'regular' people and building houses for 'hapitats for humanity'.

what are you doing other than denegrating a good man?
dances with weebles

Diadema, Brazil

#15 Sep 16, 2006
Rob in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, i'm so sorry, rob... that post was not intended for you. it was for that other guy who doesn't like the fact that carter actually gets things done for the betterment of mankind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stillmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our men & women in blue 1 hr Elmer is satin 33
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr stupid republicans 20,389
Hank Johnson 1 hr kugel 5
CVS PHARMACY treats employees like trash (Jan '09) 5 hr GET A JOB 283
Bill Clinton is the Antichrist!!!! (Nov '15) 13 hr Elmer 5
Malcolm Cunningham Chevrolet JOB DISCRIMINATION... 18 hr Eric 5
Clinton is Satin! 19 hr Slapping Yankees ... 14

Stillmore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stillmore Mortgages