Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Gree...

Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret sues for last Army...

There are 119 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 25, 2009, titled Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret sues for last Army.... In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Thirty years after William Tyree Jr. was convicted of ordering the murder of his wife in their Ayer apartment, the former Green Beret has filed a $5 million federal lawsuit against the Army, claiming he never ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Disco Rigger

Enfield, CT

#44 Apr 13, 2013
Witness wrote:
Well, some people shouldn't comment unless they know what they're talking about. I know that Tyree didn't do the murder and neither did the other person in prison for it.
They did it. I occupied the room across the hall from Eric, the actual murderer, and worked at the same shop. He admitted to my friends who also worked and lived with us, that he was on pharmacuetical drugs and did not remember the actual killing. He turned me onto the Australian rock band AC/DC.
Disco Rigger

Enfield, CT

#45 Apr 13, 2013
Aarhuus opened his locker to give me something that had been given to him that he did not use. I saw that on a shelf there were probably twenty prescription bottles with his name on the Womack Army hospital label.He laughed and made a remark about getting different Doctors when he went on sick call. His girlfriend was there, very cute, and I thought it strange that he was not giving her the old in and out. I don't know her name, but if I did I would have found her and asked her out. Eric was a strange one, quiet , but you could tell when he was on the pills, he would get pushy and just threatening enough to make one take notice but nothing so overt as to provoke violence. He was a little guy that wanted to be treated like a big guy. When he was straight he could be downright pleasant. Every day he wakes up in a cage I'm sure he thinks "what a total idiot I was".
Anton Hoffman

Enfield, CT

#46 Apr 13, 2013
Owryly wrote:
<quoted text>
Anton, were you the bullflex guy from New York? The people in the room across from Erik were Tom, and the sax player from Somerville, blonde guy, great guy...I thought you were married and lived off base? Anyways Erik got most of the drugs from illicit sources. The CID spent a considerable amount of time trying to force me to tell them who he got the drugs from. It also put me into a position of being set up as a snitch, which I think they presumed would get me to crack out of fear for my life,(which had been threatened by the way),...I can tell you he was probably taking 20-30 blue valiums (not stamped) a day at the time he was arrested, and I'm sure when he killed Tyree.
He did it, he didn't even fight the case.
You are close. They call me Tony and my roomate, who played the trumpet and had fish and houseplants was named Kevin Lyons. A good guy. He drove us to see Aarhuus in jail, although I stayed in the car. The guy you're thinking of was Spec4 John Hoffman.

Since: Apr 11

Concord, NH

#48 May 6, 2013
TYREE STATEMENT - P.D. FILE - MID 1979 - PART 1.
MISSPELLINGS, GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION
SELECTIVELY RETAINED FROM ORIGINAL
I WENT TO BREAKFAST, TUESDAY, 13 FEB 79 WITH PETERS, IT WAS HE THAT SAID
"WHOEVER DID IT, PROBABLY PUT IT IN A PLASTIC BAG."
OR SO WE CONTINUED THE DISCUSSION, IT WENT LIKE SO,
"BILL, YOU KNOW AARHUS TOLD THE POLICE
HE ONLY HAD ONE KNIFE, AND HE HAS 2."
(I SAID)
"WHICH ONE DIDN'T HE TELL THE POLICE ABOUT?"
(PETERS)
"HIS BUCK 105 PATH FINDER."
(ME)
"THAT'S FUNNY, WHY DO YOU THINK
HE DIDN'T TELL THEM?"
(PETERS)
"BECAUSE HE KILLED ELAINE!!!"
(ME)
"ARE YOU SURE?" (SEE I HAD ALREADY SCREAMED
MY HEAD OFF BECUSE I THOUGHT AARHUS HAD DID
THE KILLING AND THE POLICE POLYGRAPHED HIM,
AND IN GENERAL, GAVE HIM A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH
SO I KNEW IF ANY ONE WAS GOING TO LISTEN TO ME,
I HAD TO HAVE PROOF.)
(PETERS)
"YEAH."
AT LUNCH TIME I APPROACHED AARHUS TO CONFRONT
HIM...HE NEVER STATED HE DID IT OR THAT HE
DIDN'T, JUST THAT FOR $5000.00 HE MAY BE ABLE
TO GET THE KNIFE. I SAID I HAD TO HAVE IT THAT
EVENING...A UNCLE WAS COMING IN FROM OUT OF
STATE TO PICK IT UP. HE SAID HE'D TRY.
END PART 1.

Concord, NH

#49 May 14, 2013
TYREE STATEMENT - P.D. FILE-MID 1979 - PART 2
MISSPELLINGS, GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION SELECTIVELY RETAINED FROM ORIGINAL
[INSERT FROM SIDE OF PAGE]
AT THAT TIME, AFTER CONFRONTING AARHUS, I TOLD PETERS AND TESTAGROSSA (THEY BOTH TESTIFIED TO THIS) WHAT I HAD DONE IN REGARDS TO AARHUS, THEY LAUGHED, BUT PETERS WAS THINKING.
JUST BEFORE[INSERTED FROM SIDE OF PAGE] AT 1300 I WENT TO RANGE CONTROL. I KNEW SFC MENZIE WOULD BE WAITING FOR ME THERE (I PHONED HIM JUST BEFORE LUNCH).
I KNEW HE THOUGHT AT THAT TIME I MAY BE INVOLVED AND MAY NOT HELP ME. SO I TOLD HIM I HAD EAT[EN] WITH AARHUS THAT MORNING AND "HE" (NOT PETERS WHO HAD TOLD ME)MENTIONED WHO EVER DID IT, PROBABLY PUT THE KNIFE IN A PLASTIC BAG.
I TOLD MENZIE I THOUGHT HE DID IT AND THAT I HAD MADE A DEAL WITH AARHUS TO GET THE KNIFE. MENZIE SAID TO CALL THE POLICE. WE DID. AT ANY RATE, I RELATED ALL THE ABOVE TO ADAMSON[.] HE SAID TO TRY AND GET AARHUS OFF THE POST THAT NIGHT. WELL, AARHUS WOULDN'T GO, SO I CALLED ADAMSON BACK[.] HE SAID NOT TO WORRY HE WAS ON POST ENROUTE TO CID HEADQUARTERS, IT WAS ABOUT 4:40, AT 5:15 AARHUS AND THE RIGGER SHED CAME IN TO THE BARRACKS, I WENT TO AARHUS'S ROOM BECUSE I MISSED HIM COMING IN, HE SAID HE COULD NOT GET THE KNIFE BUT THAT HE WOULD TRY AGAIN. I WENT TO PETERS ROOM, HE WAS WITH TESTAGROSSA (TESTAGROSSA DID NOT HEAR THE CONVERSATION)[.]
END PART 2

Concord, NH

#50 May 23, 2013
TYREE STATMENT - P.D. FILE - MID 1979 PART 3
MISSPELLINGS, GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION SELECTIVELY RETAINED FROM OIGINAL.
I RELATED TO HIM [PETERS]WHAT HE HAD TOLD ME, HE (PETER) SAID, AARHUS WAS LYING BECUSE HE WAS JUST IN AARHUS ROOM, AND SEEN AARHUS TAKE THE KNIFE OUT OF A COAT AND PUT IT UNDER THE PILLOW ON HIS BED (I TOLD CID, IT WAS ME THAT SEEN HIM)SO I WENT OUT TO THE FRONT OF SERVICE COMPANY (SVC. CO) TO WAIT FOR CID, CUSE I FIGURED THEY'D COME ON LIKE A GANG BUSTER. WHILE I WAS WAITING, PETERS CAME UP TO ME AND STUCK THE GUN IN MY RIBS AND TOLD ME HOW IT HAPPENED (ELAINE'S DEATH).
[INSERTED FROM SIDE] I NEVER MENTIONED WHAT PETERS SAID, BUT I WAS DROPPING HINTS LIKE NO TOMORROW.
ANYWAY[,] MENZIE CAME BY, I GOT IN HIS CAR AND WE DROVE UP TO CID, CUSE THE CID HAD ARRIVED AND WERE CONDUCTING A SEARCH AT APPROX. 6:00[.] ONCE IN CID THEY (THEY CID) BRYNESKI TOLD ME TO WRITE A STATEMENT ABOUT WHERE THE WEAPON WAS AT, EVERY THING THAT HAD HAPPENED THAT DAY AND THEN HE CALLED COL. RITTGERS AT THIS TIME HE READ MY STATEMENT HE SAID TO RE-WRITE IT AND ADD THE KNIFE (PETERS SAID WAS IN "1" PLASTIC BAG) WAS IN "2" PLASTIC BAGS.(WELL I SAID AARHUS TOLD ME) SO I PUT AARHUS SAID WHOEVER DID IT PUT IT IN SEVERAL PLASTIC BAGS (2).
BEFORE WE WER FINISHED MY STATEMENT READ "AARHUS SAID WHOEVER DID IT PUT IT IN A PLASTIC BAG."
I TOLD THEM THAT IT WAS PETERS NOT AARHUS WHO HAD MENTIONED PLASTIC BAGS, THEY SAID AARHUS MIGHT OF TOLD PETERS. IT SOUNDED RESONABLE. I THEN TOLD THEM IT WAS PETERS NOT AARHUS WHO TOLD ME WHERE THE KNIFE WAS, AGAIN THE SAME REPLY, CID BRYNESKI SAID THEY HAD THE WEAPON (IT WAS 6:20 BECUSE I WAS SEATED UNDER THE CLOCK IN THE CID OFFICE) NOT TO WORRY, THAT IT WAS COOL,[INSERT] ADAMSON LATER SAID IT WAS A COOL IDEA.
END PART 3

Concord, NH

#51 May 31, 2013
TYREE STATEMENT - P.D. FILE - MID 1979-PART 4
MISSPELLINGS, GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION SELECTIVELY RETAINED FROM ORIGINAL.
THEN IS WHEN BRYNESKI SAID: WE HAVE TO HAVE A REASON FOR THE MURDER WE HAVE THE WEAPON, WE NEED A MO-TIVE, I SAID I DIDN'T KNOW WHY, BRYNESKI SAID DID AARHUS HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF YOUR EXTRA-ACTIVITES,(I SMILED, SORTA) I DENIED ANY SUCH ACTIVITIES, HE SAID, "STOP [*****]AROUND"!!!YOUR WIFES DEAD, YOU WANT THIS PIECE OF [****] TO GET AWAY WITH IT! I SAID HE MAY OF, HE SAID HERES HOW WE ARE GOING TO STATE IT HAPPENED," HE WAS BLACKMAILING THREAT[EN]
ING, TO TELL US (CID) ABOUT YOUR ACTIVITIES, AND WHEN YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T PAY HIM ANYMORE, HE WENT TO YOUR APARTMENT THE NIGHT BEFORE THE MURDER THREATENED YOUR WIFE AND TOLD HER THE WHOLE STORY, THE NEXT DAY HE WENT TO YOUR APARTMNT, LET HIMSELF IN WITH A KEY HE HAD MADE FROM WHEN HE BORROWED YOUR TRUCK (SEE I TOLD THEM NO ONE HAD A KEY EXCEPT PETERS,AND MY APARTMNT KEY WAS WITH MY TRUCK KEY, HE (CID)SAID, ANYONE EVER USE MY TRUCK, I TOLD THEM PETERS DID AND THAT I KNEW HE HAD AT ONE TIME, A KEY TO THE APARTMENT THUS WE ARRIVED AT, HIM (AARHUS) BORROWING THE TRUCK AND LIKELY MAKING A KEY.
ANYWAY, HE WAS IN THE APT.(OR SO BRYNESKI WANTED IT) ELAINE WALKED IN HE DEMANDED MONEY SHE REFUSED HE KILLED HER.(PRIOR TO HER ARRIVAL HE SEARCHED THE APT. FOR MONEY) AND WENT OUT THE BEDROOM WINDOW. SO (OR ALMOS) MY STATEMENT, READS.
HE TOLD ME THEY HAD TO HAVE A STATEMENT FROM ME SO THEY COUD USE IT TO GET A WRITTEN SEARCH WARRENT.
AND A MOTIVE FOR THE KILLING BACKED UP BY THE MURDER WEAPON WOULD BE ENOUGH.
END PART 4
Old Friend of Yours

Baltimore, MD

#52 Jun 5, 2013
Anton Hoffman wrote:
I lived across the hall from Aarhus and he drove us Parachute Riggers to and from the airfield where we worked. Aarhus did it. He said that he was high on the drugs he would procure from Army MDs for a variety of ficticious maladies.He read Soldier of Fortune magazine and held real Green Berets in contempt because he fancied himself a cold blooded pro killer. He was, in the end, a skinny little nothing who snuffed out a beautiful light in this world and left a poor child an orphan. Tyree arranged it. Sp4 Peters told me himself when I was Charge of quarters at the barracks the day he came back to Devens.
Wow Anton, I haven't thought about you in years (34?). I was a fellow Glen Fiddisch (SP) drinker. I still have a picture of you in my pick-up with Ron (aviation kid).
Old Friend of Yours

Melville, NY

#53 Jun 5, 2013
Anton Hoffman wrote:
<quoted text>You are close. They call me Tony and my roomate, who played the trumpet and had fish and houseplants was named Kevin Lyons. A good guy. He drove us to see Aarhuus in jail, although I stayed in the car. The guy you're thinking of was Spec4 John Hoffman.
I remeber Kevin, he was a good man. He used to make us different carriers out of the nylon canvas. Is Erik still in prison? I see that Tyree is, if you do an inmate search. I am surprised you can remember names from the past!

Concord, NH

#54 Jun 10, 2013
TYREE STATEMENT - P.D. FILE- MID 1979 - PART 5 -
MISSPELLINGS, GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION SELECTIVELY RETAINED FROM ORIGINAL.
BRYNESKI SAID THAT EVERYONE THAT KNEW ME WOULD BELIVE IT, BECUSE THEY KNEW I WAS INVOLVED IN ALL SORTS OF THINGS AND THAT AARHUS HAD JUST GOTTON A "ARTICAL 15" FOR PERJURY SO NO ONE WOULD BELIVE HIM. I TOLD HIM ABOUT THE THREAT[EN]ING PHONE CALLS WE WERE GETTING AND HE SAID HE GUESSED THEY WERE AARHUS (AND SMILED, THEN SORTA WINKED) AND EVEN THOUGHT I KNEW PETERS DID IT, I KNEW AARHUS WAS AROUND, AND FIGURED TO DEAL WITH HIM (PETERS) LATER THAT NIGHT.
1ST SGT HENRY TESTIFIED THAT ELAINE TOLD HIM IN MY ABSENCE THAT SHE HAD RECIVED A THREATINING PHONE CALL HER SELF.) OVER> THIS SHOWS ALONG WITH CHIEF ADAMSON BEING ALMOST CHARGED TWICE WITH "CONTEMPT" FOR TRYING TO GET 2 WITNESS'S AT PROABLE CUSE TO TESTIFIE TO LIES
1- THEY DO TRY AND GET ANYONE THEY CAN TO VERIFIE WHAT EVEN MUST BE VERIFIED EVEN IF IT MEANS TO LIE.
THEY ALSO APPROACHED SFC MENZIE AT PROABLE CUSE (THE D.A. DAMICHEALLIS) AND TRYED TO GET HIM TO LIE.
(PETERS EVEN SAID DURING THE COURT-MARTIAL TO CPT. CARRIGAN THAT, WHAT HE TOLD CID AND WHAT APPEARED ON TWO STATEMENTS WERE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS, THATS HOW THEY ARE).
I HAVE NEVER TESTIFIED SO MY LIE IS STILL SMALL, BUT AFTER I SAW WHAT CID WAS DOING I KNEW I HAD TO COME ACROSS WITH THE TRUTH, AND QUICK, I FIRMLY BELIEVE CID, WAS PLAYING, US ONE AGAINST THE OTHER FIGURING TO GET US ALL, AND ANY WAY I TRULY BELIVED HE KILLED MY WIFE, OR I NEVER WOULD OF WENT TO CID ON AARHUS, I HATE THEM ******,
END OF PART 5
END OF TYREE STATEMENT FROM P.D. FILE, MID-1979
interested person

Boston, MA

#55 Jun 10, 2013
Anyone seen the Free Bill Tyree jr. facebook page? The link is http://www.facebook.com/FreeBillTyreeJr...

Grafton, NH

#57 Aug 19, 2013
ON JULY 11, A MOTION WAS FILED IN COURT TO DIRECT THAT ENTRY TO SERVICE COMPANY BARRACKS (DEVENS) BY PARTIES ASSOCIATED WITH TYREE BE AUTHORIZED BY THE COURT (DOCKET # 166)
ON JULY 16, THE COURT DENIED THIS MOTION, WITHOUT COMMENT OR LEGAL/PRECEDENTIAL REASONING. THE COMMONWEALTH HAD RAISED NO OBJECTION.
ON AUGUST 12, A "MOTION TO RECONSIDER" WAS FILED IN THE COURT, CITING EXTENSIVE EVIDENCE OF FRAUD BY BOTH THE CID AND CIVILIAN POLICE FOR THE SEARCH OF AARHUS' ROOM ON FEBRUARY 13, 1979 (DOCKET # 167). THE MOTION ALSO TRACES EVIDENCE OF "CLEAR ERROR" IN THE FAILURE OF BOTH THE COMMONWEALTH, SUPERIOR COURT AND SUPREME JUDICIAL COURT TO ADDRESS A FULLY ADVANCED CONTRADICTION BETWEEN THE TRANSCRIPT TESTIMONY OF CID AGENT JOSEPH BURZYNSKI AND THAT OF POST COMMANDER COLONEL FOREST S. RITTGERS, JR.
ALL 3 OF THE ABOVE WILL BE POSTED ON THE FACEBOOK
"FREE BILL TYREE, JR."
CITED BY "INTERESTED PERSON" ON JUNE 10, 2013 (#55, ABOVE).
Colonel Sanders

New York, NY

#58 Sep 16, 2013
Witness wrote:
Well, some people shouldn't comment unless they know what they're talking about. I know that Tyree didn't do the murder and neither did the other person in prison for it.
Like you should not comment! Erik admitted to the crime.
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#59 Sep 17, 2013
Witness wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone can say what they want, come up with conclusions, drug stories and whatever but the guy I say that day, the day of the murder, within 10 minutes of it happening was not Tyree or Erik! Therefore either he was an accomplice or didn't do it.
Ok, ill give it to you that its possible erik was so far gone he admitted he did it when he didn't really do it. But hes had a long time to make a claim of innocence and I've heard nothing ever about that.
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#60 Sep 17, 2013
Old Friend of Yours wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Anton, I haven't thought about you in years (34?). I was a fellow Glen Fiddisch (SP) drinker. I still have a picture of you in my pick-up with Ron (aviation kid).
I remember kevin, from somerville and tom across the hall from erik. Was anton a very tall red headed guy? My roommate dan and I stole herbie the mouse from the boa in that room. I think kevin had a tarantula. Kevin was the one guy who apologized for all the "gay" shit I took after he met and fell all over my girlfriend when we went to my home state in wisconsin on maneuvers. For the record erik and I split hundreds of unstamped black market blue valiums. I went to detox the day after his arrest. I have no trouble believing he could have blacked out and not even known he murdered someone. I wasn't far behind him.

If angle turner is working with tyree they also know that CID spent a lot of time trying to force me to peg the murder on a rigger they were despperately trying to nail before he left the army.
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#61 Sep 17, 2013
Disco Rigger wrote:
<quoted text>They did it. I occupied the room across the hall from Eric, the actual murderer, and worked at the same shop. He admitted to my friends who also worked and lived with us, that he was on pharmacuetical drugs and did not remember the actual killing. He turned me onto the Australian rock band AC/DC.
don't forget the band "captain beyond"..
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#62 Sep 17, 2013
Anton Hoffman wrote:
<quoted text>You are close. They call me Tony and my roomate, who played the trumpet and had fish and houseplants was named Kevin Lyons. A good guy. He drove us to see Aarhuus in jail, although I stayed in the car. The guy you're thinking of was Spec4 John Hoffman.
Yeah john, hide in the pack room on break
reading whatever and using his bullflex..
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#63 Sep 17, 2013
Actually I think tom was eriks roommate..
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#64 Sep 17, 2013
bill wrote:
if any one has acopy of the show
Murder at Fort Devens done by A&E
let me know. I am interested.
It seem's to have disapeared from A&E archives
I have a copy. Email me

[email protected]
owryly

Sun Prairie, WI

#65 Sep 17, 2013
Murder at Fort Devens AE wrote:
Stopped into a local bar in Ayer MA and spoke with some of the locals who remember the case and the A&E special. No one can find a copy of the A&E special and people are divided on the outcome of the case.
Not sure if this information assists in anyway except for the fact that local's still talk about the Tyree incident.
I have a copy..

[email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Still River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ayer settles over wrongful '83 slay conviction (Jul '09) Nov 29 Observed 29
News Tempers flare as Shirley police officer fired Nov 11 Lynch for Paedophile 4
News Shirley selectmen demote police sergeant to off... Nov 10 Standing for what... 6
News Neal believes Democrats will take Senate, but w... Oct '16 soitgoes 1
News As for candidate, I'm voting for Sheila Harrington (Oct '10) Oct '16 News34 4
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in Massachusetts... (Oct '10) Apr '13 Crackers 22
Election Who do you support for Governor's Council in Ma... (Oct '10) Nov '10 A 2

Still River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Still River Mortgages