Minnesota rail advocates make pitch to Ramsey County

If the state and federal governments help build a Rochester-to-Minneapolis or Rochester-to-St. Paul high-speed rail line, the train would do what few other public transit systems around the country have been able to accomplish without public subsidy, and that's pull a profit. Full Story
First Prev
of 48
Next Last
Jack

Minneapolis, MN

#967 Dec 22, 2012
Completely untrue.
Samuel

Saint Paul, MN

#968 Dec 22, 2012
Jack wrote:
Completely untrue.
Start with a false premise, mix in some lies and ignorance. Voila! Wingnut "truth" is born.
Lawton

Minneapolis, MN

#969 Dec 22, 2012
Met Council testimony, fact.
Jack

Minneapolis, MN

#970 Dec 22, 2012
Conveniently you forgot to post a link.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#971 Dec 22, 2012
Score Keeper wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! A now rare Madaman reply. Nice to hear from you. Don't be a stranger.
Sounds like an old friend with a new handle. If you wish to keep that private, please send me a private message with that information.

I rarely visit the MN Forum, since I find it mostly moribund -- can go for days or even weeks before another comment appears, and then mostly NOT in response to me. There are livelier exchanges on the national Politics board.

Sadly, even the Woman of a 1000 Names continues to troll me there as well. Why must my groupies be MORONS?
Lawton

Minneapolis, MN

#972 Dec 22, 2012
Jack wrote:
Conveniently you forgot to post a link.
I heard it during Legislative session.

Go look if interested...
Jack

Minneapolis, MN

#973 Dec 22, 2012
Lawton wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it during Legislative session.
Go look if interested...
ROFLMAO!!!
the rest of us

Saint Paul, MN

#974 Dec 23, 2012
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like an old friend with a new handle. If you wish to keep that private, please send me a private message with that information.
I rarely visit the MN Forum, since I find it mostly moribund -- can go for days or even weeks before another comment appears, and then mostly NOT in response to me. There are livelier exchanges on the national Politics board.
Sadly, even the Woman of a 1000 Names continues to troll me there as well. Why must my groupies be MORONS?
On DENSE and ARROGANT one, the simple concept of you posting asinine comments and getting a negative response on a public forum is beyond you. But this is why you have struggled all your adult life with limited success and a strong victim mentality. Flail away numbnuts.
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#975 Dec 23, 2012
Metro Transit, an operating division of the Metropolitan Council, operates the Hiawatha light-rail line.
The Hiawatha light rail serves 19 stations along a 12.3-mile route that links downtown Minneapolis with
the Mall of America via Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. Ridership has grown steadily since
the Hiawatha light rail opened in 2004. Customers boarded light rail trains 10.2 million times in 2008, up
12.3 percent over 2007 and the first time ridership has exceeded 10 million.
The Hiawatha light rail is served with a fleet of 27 light-rail cars that are maintained and dispatched from
an operations base just north of Franklin Avenue.
Light-rail park-and-ride capacity increased in 2008 with the opening of a 1,450-space, five-level parking
ramp at 28th Avenue Station, just east of the Mall of America.
In 2009 and 2010, ten light-rail station platforms are being extended to accommodate the operation of
three-car trains. Also in 2009, the American Boulevard 34th Avenue Station in Bloomington was
constructed and opened. This station will serve as an anchor for a major transit-oriented development in
that city’s Airport South Loop district plan.
Metro Transit rail staff members are also playing key roles in the development of the Northstar
commuter rail line, a 40-mile service linking Big Lake and downtown Minneapolis. The service, which
began operations in late 2009, is operated with five locomotives and 18 passenger cars that are
maintained at the service facility in Big Lake. On weekdays, Northstar operates five morning trips to
Minneapolis and five return trips in the afternoon. One reverse commute trip is available on weekdays
and three roundtrips are operated on each weekend day. Stations are located at Big Lake, Elk River,
Anoka, Coon Rapids, Fridley, and Target Field Station in downtown Minneapolis, which also is served by
an extension of the Hiawatha light rail.
Lawton

Minneapolis, MN

#976 Dec 23, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Metro Transit, an operating division of the Metropolitan Council, operates the Hiawatha light-rail line.
The Hiawatha light rail serves 19 stations along a 12.3-mile route that links downtown Minneapolis with
the Mall of America via Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport. Ridership has grown steadily since
the Hiawatha light rail opened in 2004. Customers boarded light rail trains 10.2 million times in 2008, up
12.3 percent over 2007 and the first time ridership has exceeded 10 million.
The Hiawatha light rail is served with a fleet of 27 light-rail cars that are maintained and dispatched from
an operations base just north of Franklin Avenue.
Light-rail park-and-ride capacity increased in 2008 with the opening of a 1,450-space, five-level parking
ramp at 28th Avenue Station, just east of the Mall of America.
In 2009 and 2010, ten light-rail station platforms are being extended to accommodate the operation of
three-car trains. Also in 2009, the American Boulevard 34th Avenue Station in Bloomington was
constructed and opened. This station will serve as an anchor for a major transit-oriented development in
that city’s Airport South Loop district plan.
Metro Transit rail staff members are also playing key roles in the development of the Northstar
commuter rail line, a 40-mile service linking Big Lake and downtown Minneapolis. The service, which
began operations in late 2009, is operated with five locomotives and 18 passenger cars that are
maintained at the service facility in Big Lake. On weekdays, Northstar operates five morning trips to
Minneapolis and five return trips in the afternoon. One reverse commute trip is available on weekdays
and three roundtrips are operated on each weekend day. Stations are located at Big Lake, Elk River,
Anoka, Coon Rapids, Fridley, and Target Field Station in downtown Minneapolis, which also is served by
an extension of the Hiawatha light rail.
A nice marketing pitch for LRT.

How many people can it move from DT Mpls after a Twins/Vikings game? The Met council said about 10,000.

A simple question, not rocket science at all. The difficulty of answering the question is that it exposes the very limited capacity of trains. BTW, there has been talk of shutting down the NorthStar because of the poor season the Twins had. All this rail krap is about moving pro sports spectators and then the rail can't even move a majority of spectators.

I't be real funny if ir wasn't so sad.

WASTE OF TAXDOLLARS NEEDED FOR ROAD BUILDING!
Lawton

Minneapolis, MN

#977 Dec 23, 2012
Read about the Hiawatha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiawatha_Line

186 passenger per car with 3 cars per train. 45 mins to make the trip from DT to MOA, one way.

600 passengers per round trip per 45 mins.

10K per pro sports game sounds a little high to me.

People are not patient and willing to wait 2 hours for a stinking ride, they take an alternative.

Rail doesn't work!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 48
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stewartville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The tear-jerking moment a family gets to listen... Nov '14 Remember the name... 1
meadow park apartments infested!!! Oct '14 bedbugs 1
Posting sign and picture of a person carrying c... Oct '14 Gun-owning grandma 1
Rochester has become the Gay Capital Of Minnesota (Sep '12) Oct '14 Pete Dragon 8
that roxy hernandez aka hippooo .... (Jul '10) Oct '14 ORLYJAVI 11
gays (Sep '12) Oct '14 ORLYJAVI 5
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. treated for bipolar diso... (Aug '12) Oct '14 Swedenforever 30
Stewartville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Stewartville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Stewartville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Stewartville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:48 pm PST

NBC Sports 8:48PM