One killed in massive I-94 crash

One killed in massive I-94 crash

There are 66 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 21, 2008, titled One killed in massive I-94 crash. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

One person is dead after a crash involving 12 semi-trucks and around 30 other vehicles near St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

That sucks

United States

#42 Dec 22, 2008
But people need to learn that if you can't see what you're driving into, you shouldn't be driving fast....
Andy

Pullman, MI

#43 Dec 22, 2008
BERRIEN COUNTY — A 100 car pile-up killed one man and closed I-94 near St. Joseph, Michigan for hours Sunday. Police said speed, whiteout conditions and icy roads are to blame. It happened around noon at the 27 mile-marker near the Niles Avenue overpass in St. Joseph. The crash shut down 11 miles of I-94 for hours.
in accident

Auburn, NY

#44 Dec 22, 2008
mike mcdonald wrote:
well what one is it woodtv, 100 or 30 vehicles... seems like you cant get your story straight.
It created a chain reaction all along I-94, I was in the accident (thankfully didn't get hit but landed in a snowbank) at the 52 exit near Lawrence, a few miles up.

Three important things
1. headlights and hazards.

I was traveling in a small pack of cars, right lane, going slow all with our hazards on... I was able to keep a safe distance from the car ahead of me, but still know where they were because of their hazards. When I saw them lose control of their car I knew something was wrong.

2. Let them know!

I spun and ended backwards in a snowbank. I started flickering my brights as fast as I could to signal to oncoming traffic that something was terribly wrong. I really think this kept me from getting hit. The car after me drove into a snowbank instead of me, and the semi behind was able to stop until another semi plowed into him and thrust him into cars on the other side of the street.

3. Stay in your car

The gut reaction is to get out of your car and help people. Bad idea. I sat in my car until I could see traffic was stopped for at least a quarter mile (what I could see at least). I gave it a few minutes to make sure there was no danger of me getting hit. Then ran to help those who were trapped and call for ambulance.

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#45 Dec 22, 2008
Jerome wrote:
Incompetent truck drivers.
What part of ...The accident happened when a Canadian semi tractor was stopped due to other accidents on the road in the left hand lane and was rear-ended by Dr. Raymond Candage III, a 31-year-old Elgin, Illinois man....dont you understand the semi driver was NOT at fault.

Incompetent reader & poster

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#46 Dec 22, 2008
That sucks wrote:
But people need to learn that if you can't see what you're driving into, you shouldn't be driving fast....
No, what we need is cars that have the techonology to allow motorists to see through fog, rain and snow.

In addition, we need smart highways and cars that use transponders and "auto pilot" like computers to help keep cars separated on interstate highways. Such a system would allow cars to form up in fuel saving lines of "drafting" cars that are driving themselves by automation in literally bumper to bumper columns at highway speed.

The technology exists, but your taxes are better spent doing other things like spending one million dollars a year for over a decade to maintain a bullet registry in New York that hasn't even solved one crime yet.
great

Salt Lake City, UT

#47 Dec 22, 2008
Richard_Head wrote:
<quoted text>No, what we need is cars that have the techonology to allow motorists to see through fog, rain and snow.
In addition, we need smart highways and cars that use transponders and "auto pilot" like computers to help keep cars separated on interstate highways. Such a system would allow cars to form up in fuel saving lines of "drafting" cars that are driving themselves by automation in literally bumper to bumper columns at highway speed.
The technology exists, but your taxes are better spent doing other things like spending one million dollars a year for over a decade to maintain a bullet registry in New York that hasn't even solved one crime yet.
one million dollars would be pocket change compared to what this technology would cost. The economy is in the crapper and you are proposing a idea that would cost more than you or I could even comprehend.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#48 Dec 22, 2008
great wrote:
<quoted text>
one million dollars would be pocket change compared to what this technology would cost. The economy is in the crapper and you are proposing a idea that would cost more than you or I could even comprehend.
60% of traffic fatalities are not alcohol related, so I suggest people keep crashing and killing each other for no reason at all other than common negligence, if it will save money on the bottom line.

Don't worry, a Japanese company will bring this technology to the marketplace at a cost that you can afford.
Concerned

Columbus, OH

#49 Dec 22, 2008
Becky wrote:
I have no information about this accident. I was just saying.... I avoid I-94 (and 131) because of the semi-trucks. No blame is assigned by me.
Both of those freeways are horrible in winter months. I do not blame you. Nothing like going down frozen road at 25mph and having 10 semis pass you in left lane doing 55 drifting all that snow into your windshield. Been there done that not fun.
Mike ExTrucker

South Haven, MI

#50 Dec 22, 2008
My biggest complaints is the white out conditions caused by the semis. You can't see a thing! Also, I do so wish the State Police would concentrate their enforcement efforts on the truckers who refuse, even in bad weather, to adhere to the speed limits. In my days, you could count on truckers to be helpful and courteous, especially in bad weather. Whenever I see a truck speeding, I note the carrier and boycott the products of that company. We need to limit truck traffic and send freight by rail.
great

Salt Lake City, UT

#51 Dec 22, 2008
Richard_Head wrote:
<quoted text>60% of traffic fatalities are not alcohol related, so I suggest people keep crashing and killing each other for no reason at all other than common negligence, if it will save money on the bottom line.
Don't worry, a Japanese company will bring this technology to the marketplace at a cost that you can afford.
ok so we spend trillions of dollars for this technology, which will be based on computers which can fail. You have hundreds of cars driving themselves and one fails the others crash into each other. Or on a rare occasion a animal jumps out in the road (I mean I almost never see dead animals line the highway) how the heck is a auto-piloted car going to slow down or stop, now most deer car crashes are an inconvenience with auto piloted cars they will be fatalities. Taking the human element out of things is down right dangerous.
John Q Public

Lafayette, CO

#52 Dec 22, 2008
Mike ExTrucker wrote:
My biggest complaints is the white out conditions caused by the semis. You can't see a thing! Also, I do so wish the State Police would concentrate their enforcement efforts on the truckers who refuse, even in bad weather, to adhere to the speed limits. In my days, you could count on truckers to be helpful and courteous, especially in bad weather. Whenever I see a truck speeding, I note the carrier and boycott the products of that company. We need to limit truck traffic and send freight by rail.
Yeah maybe Amtrak can haul it. lol
susan

San Francisco, CA

#53 Dec 22, 2008
rod wrote:
one less psychotic illinois driver on michigan roads
you're pond scum. i knew ray candage. he was one of those genuinely nice guys. everyone who knew him is devastated. you should be ashamed of yourself!
slobo

San Francisco, CA

#54 Dec 22, 2008
i still didn't get my money yet
just what is wrong with these people??????????
andy

Pullman, MI

#55 Dec 22, 2008
slobo wrote:
i still didn't get my money yet
just what is wrong with these people??????????
Money for what?????? This is about a big pile-up on I-94 and Dr lost his life.
Dean

United States

#56 Dec 22, 2008
Was in the accident wrote:
The driver who was killed was not hit by a semi. He or she rammed into the back of a semi and the top of the car was sheared off on impact. My car was 20 feet in front of the other car at the point of impact.
Thanks for pointing out what was in the article fool!
W T F

United States

#57 Dec 22, 2008
Richard_Head wrote:
<quoted text>60% of traffic fatalities are not alcohol related, so I suggest people keep crashing and killing each other for no reason at all other than common negligence, if it will save money on the bottom line.
What device are you referring about, FLIR? Doesn't do well in snow, it's a solid, especially white-out conditions. Average cost for a decent unit will run 10-15K. Do you think the car market can sustain such a burden now? This device wont save the driver from the other causes: Stop signs, red lights and other distractions. More people perish traction than visibilty. Will this enhanced vision device resolve this too?
Just a thought

Caledonia, MI

#59 Dec 22, 2008
Mike ExTrucker wrote:
Good luck on getting rail lines built directly to the doors of all the stores and what not!!!! Maybe you can pay for that out of your own pocket and then my bills seeing as you would put my husband out of work!
Gin Van

United States

#60 Dec 22, 2008
John Q Public wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to run to the store because I dont have all the ingredients to make cookies.:-)
Then just have the adult beverages....<w> skip the cookies...
Dr-T

Chicago, IL

#61 Dec 24, 2008
susan wrote:
<quoted text>
you're pond scum. i knew ray candage. he was one of those genuinely nice guys. everyone who knew him is devastated. you should be ashamed of yourself!
Seriously, he was a great guy. How dare you say that about a human life? That too of someone who spent the majority of his life saving dumb idiots like you...

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#62 Dec 25, 2008
great wrote:
<quoted text>
1) ok so we spend trillions of dollars for this technology, which will be based on computers which can fail.

2) You have hundreds of cars driving themselves and one fails the others crash into each other.

3) Or on a rare occasion a animal jumps out in the road, how the heck is a auto-piloted car going to slow down or stop,

4) now most deer car crashes are an inconvenience with auto piloted cars they will be fatalities.

5) Taking the human element out of things is down right dangerous.
1 and 2) Besides redundancy in the individual car itself, cars operating together in a "platoon" will have the ability pool computers with a secure digital data link. If your individual car fails either of these modes, the driver will be notified of this and take over the operation of the individual car and exit the far left lane where manually controlled driving will then continue. Cars behind this driver will not overtake and rejoin the "platoon" until the affected car is safely out of the automated lane. Once the affected car is safely removed, the cars that were behind will speed up and join the preceding platoon.

3) That animal analogy of yours needs more research. Many fatalites occur because a motorist loses control of their car while overreacting by jamming on the breaks to avoid hitting a bunny rabbit. Besides, the sensors on the automated car will see warm blooded mammals long before a human will.

4) No, you need to research this one as well, most deer/car conflicts are made worse because the motorist over controlls their vehicle, causing a worse crash.

5) You're not taking the human element "out of things", the motorist behind the wheel will still be monitoring the operation of the motor vehicle.

Perhaps you haven't been keeping abrest of developments in automated braking systems for semi-trucks that utilize technology such as radar to initiate braking action of the semi in the event an object is detected in front of the semi?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stevensville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) Thu RFLivonia 17
obama's big lie (Sep '08) Jan 12 atravelinman2000 2
Black c*ck (Jul '13) Jan 4 ProBlackChick 3
Comment on dangerous park for snow removal (Jan '14) Dec 30 Citizen 2
News Benton Harbor Native Going Far With The U.S. Navy Dec 28 Navyfreddie22 1
Sawyer Highlands Church (Nov '08) Dec '16 satanlovesdivisev... 13
syrian refugees living in taylor and south dear... Dec '16 WATCHING LIVONIA 1

Stevensville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stevensville Mortgages