Opposed to same-sex marriage, company ends wedding business

Dec 25, 2012 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: www.baltimoresun.com

An Annapolis company whose old-fashioned trolleys are iconic in the city's wedding scene has abandoned the nuptial industry rather than serve same-sex couples.

Comments
361 - 380 of 381 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2013

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Toss this one at him once and a while.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28 NIV
I can't use it because it's from Saul and hi ilk.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

jAMES was the rightful leader. Too bad Saul killed him.

12. The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that you are going to leave us. Who will be our leader?"

Jesus said to them, "No matter where you are you are to go to James the Just, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."

Here use this one.

22. Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the (Father's) kingdom."

They said to him, "Then shall we enter the (Father's) kingdom as babies?"

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

- The Gospel of Thomas

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Very familiar with the position our founder held, but the accounts are as unacceptable to our opposition as Saul's are to us, though for radically different reasons.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't use it because it's from Saul and hi ilk.
I understand. My point in using it is it comes from the same source they use.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I understand. My point in using it is it comes from the same source they use.
True, but it also leaves you open to the other stuff that he and his group passed off as Yeshua's teachings. It's why one needs to call Saulism Saulism wherever it occurs.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So bacteria isn't alive? Cells aren't alive? That counters all biological science, you do realize that.
Why how splendid even you libs are turning on each other .

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Milk isn't "alive". Neither are unfertilized eggs.
So bacteria isn't alive? Cells aren't alive? That counters all biological science, you do realize that.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Crawl back into your hole and stay there.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Pointing out when one misspeaks is not "turning on another," it's called correcting them. Something you religious nuts hate.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pointing out when one misspeaks is not "turning on another," it's called correcting them. Something you religious nuts hate.
I would love to see the Caribou bunny run and lose again.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

The article says: "The owner of Discover Annapolis Tours said he decided to walk away from $50,000 in annual revenue instead of compromising his Christian convictions".

Well, if he is REALLY doing this out of his "Christian convictions", then would he also refuse service to Jewish people or Muslim people, because they don't believe that Jesus Of Nazareth is The Messiah ?

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Fa-Foxy wrote:
The article says: "The owner of Discover Annapolis Tours said he decided to walk away from $50,000 in annual revenue instead of compromising his Christian convictions".
Well, if he is REALLY doing this out of his "Christian convictions", then would he also refuse service to Jewish people or Muslim people, because they don't believe that Jesus Of Nazareth is The Messiah ?
But he's smart enough to know that if he did that he'd be practicing religious discrimination.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Fa-Foxy wrote:
enjoy:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp8f109F0x1...

kudos to rbk

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>But he's smart enough to know that if he did that he'd be practicing religious discrimination.
So refusing to serve someone for saying: "Jesus of Nazareth is NOT The Messiah" is "religious discrimination", but refusing to serve someone because they may not be adhering to a particular religious passage, which is disputed by many theologians is NOT "religious discrimination" ?!

That's nonsensical !

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
What service exactly is the proprietor refusing? He has quit providing a service because of his beliefs and not wanting to cater to homosexuals. So please explain how he is refusing/denying service to anyone.
Not providing a service, and refusing service are two distinctly different.
Are you implying he should continue to provide the service even though it is counter to his belief?
Right or wrong, accept or disapprove, it is his belief. We may not all agree with his decision, however he has committed no illegal act. There is nothing remotely wrong with how he decides to run his business as long it is in accordance with the law.
I stand by what I said.

If he didn't provide the service to Hindu people, because they don't believe in ANY parts of the bible, isn't that teh same thing ?

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

MD Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not providing the service as a whole. He is not denying service to anyone. Again you are confusing apple and oranges.
Is it your claim that he should continue to provide the service?
What I'm saying is that by singling out gay and lesbian people for non-service, he IS discriminationg based on religion because he is basing his decision on his interpretation of a religious text.

And btw, those religious texts allegedly referring to gay men (the bible does not mention lesbians), are disputed by many theologians and there is NO consensus on what they mean exactly. And before you say that is true about ALL religious texts, not it isn't. Because there IS consensus among ALL Christians that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah because taht is the distinguishing characteristic that DEFINES THEM AS CHRISTIANS.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Fa-Foxy wrote:
Not a great comparison, really. Someone that doesn't believe in the Jesus he believes in isn't a threat to his belief. Someone that doesn't believe what he believes in that is trying to change a traditional belief he has, now that he perceives as a threat to what he believes.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by what I said.
If he didn't provide the service to Hindu people, because they don't believe in ANY parts of the bible, isn't that teh same thing ?
I'll answer again. No. Some one that doesn't believe as he does and isn't trying to change something he believes in isn't a threat. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhists aren't out trying to take away from or add to Christian beliefs. Same sex marriage and homosexual advocates are and have been adding to his beliefs by the law and that is a threat to his personal beliefs.
He feels he has dealt with the issue as business owner by shutting down his business.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll answer again. No. Some one that doesn't believe as he does and isn't trying to change something he believes in isn't a threat. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhists aren't out trying to take away from or add to Christian beliefs. Same sex marriage and homosexual advocates are and have been adding to his beliefs by the law and that is a threat to his personal beliefs.
He feels he has dealt with the issue as business owner by shutting down his business.
tell me, how are marriage equality/homosexual advocates adding to his beliefs or threatening his religious beliefs. there are many gays who worship right beside him in church.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
tell me, how are marriage equality/homosexual advocates adding to his beliefs or threatening his religious beliefs. there are many gays who worship right beside him in church.
Come on, you this answer.
If people followed traditional Christian beliefs concerning just their view/reasoning concerning homosexuality/marriage, there would be no rights for homosexuals. There would be no rights for same sex relationships/marriages. With no rights for homosexuals/same sex marriages, Christians would be where once they were comfortable being at. Having prejudices against homosexuality and same sex marriages and being reinforced for those prejudices because the law backed those prejudices.
But as these 'traditionalist' Christians see they are on a ship sinking fast, as they see their 'traditional' laws being over turned and even segments of Christianity opening their doors to homosexual/same sex actions, all they can do now is refuse to agree and or have part with the changes taking place.
And that is what this business owner did. Instead of compromising his beliefs, he quit his business so they wouldn't be compromised.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

thank you. that was a pretty good explanation of what you were saying. i had thought that you were saying that, somehow, homosexuality really does compromise his beliefs, rather than his own ignorance of what it truly means to be a christian.
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, you this answer.
If people followed traditional Christian beliefs concerning just their view/reasoning concerning homosexuality/marriage, there would be no rights for homosexuals. There would be no rights for same sex relationships/marriages. With no rights for homosexuals/same sex marriages, Christians would be where once they were comfortable being at. Having prejudices against homosexuality and same sex marriages and being reinforced for those prejudices because the law backed those prejudices.
But as these 'traditionalist' Christians see they are on a ship sinking fast, as they see their 'traditional' laws being over turned and even segments of Christianity opening their doors to homosexual/same sex actions, all they can do now is refuse to agree and or have part with the changes taking place.
And that is what this business owner did. Instead of compromising his beliefs, he quit his business so they wouldn't be compromised.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stevensville Discussions

Search the Stevensville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Naval Academy welcomes new superintendent 16 hr Pinochio Madoff 1
Brilly Mens Room 16 hr Operation Greylord 2
The Artist Name of Brilly Jun 30 Really Really 1
Brilly Girls Jun 26 Annie of Denver 1
Who do you support for State Senate in Maryland... (Oct '10) Jun 24 Not in your life 11
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 fyi 185
MD Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Aug '13 Tim the Bagger 43
•••
•••
•••
•••

Stevensville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stevensville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••