Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance

Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance

There are 94 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Feb 17, 2008, titled Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Age : 10 years old Height and Weight : 4'8; 85 pounds Distinguishing Characteristics : Blonde hair; blue eyes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
JJP

United States

#88 May 11, 2013
I'm now 48 and vividly remember this case on TV and in the Baltimore Evening Sun.
We prayed for the Lyon sisters for a whole year in school - today I pray there is peace in some form for the family and for the community.
Trust that we all have not forgotten and still care!
joe

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#90 Jun 17, 2013
Nancy wrote:
Has anyone ever noticed how similar the pic of the tape recorder man and James DeBardeleben are. Including the weird nose.
What weird noise? Yes. He is the perp. I am convinced.
joe

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#91 Jun 17, 2013
Mary from Manassas wrote:
We want to know if you could still figure out where that hole was? Please contact us. We grew up in Manassas and are looking into the case. [email protected] Thank you.
<quoted text>
Did you ever look at pictures of James Mitchell DeBardeleben? Was that the guy you saw?
tryingtofigureit out

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#92 Sep 10, 2013
renee wrote:
I would be the same age as Kate. I remember that when it happened. That same summer, there was a house that was being built behind my house on Byron and Higby Street. One day, my sister and her friend went over to the house that was under construction. A man grabbed my sister and her friend. My sister told me to go and get mom, and by the time my mom got to the house the man had let my sister and her friend go. And he disappeared. I have often wondered if that was the man who had taken the Lyon sisters and if they were buried in the construction of the house off of Dawson Ave. I work off of Plyers mIll and think about them everyday.
Search James Debardeleben - is that the guy that grabbed your sister? That's the guy who did the Lyon Girls...
greggg

Wake Forest, NC

#93 Feb 10, 2014
I was personal friends with the two sisters in 1975. Kate was in my fifth grade class at Oakland Terrace Elementary, and she was such an amazing girl. Funny, smart, athletic and very pretty. Her older sister went to the local jounior high school (Newport Jr. High), and she was known as being a very similar person. The disappearance of our dear neighborhood friends changed all of our childhoods. Many of us walked to and from Wheaton Plaza to shop, eat pizza and play hide-and-go seek in the department stores during this era. This all changed on March 25, 1975. Our community developed neighborhood watches to try to create security, but the reality was this had been stolen from us all. I continued to know the Lyon family for many years as their younger brother Joe and older brother Jay continued going to school with us all. Over the years I heard many stories about sightings and leads to solve this case and all proved nothing. I have thought about the two beautiful sisters many times over the years, and I hope the family can now get some closure with the evidence being discussed. To Sheila and Kate Lyon -- you have been loved, missed and thought about every day by so many. R.I.P.
greggg

Wake Forest, NC

#94 Feb 10, 2014
Kate Lyons classmate wrote:
The disappearance of Kate and Sheila Lyon haunts me to this day. Kate was in my 4th grade class the year she disappeared. I will never forget Kate - she was such a sweet beautiful girl. That was a very tough time for all of us who went to school with them. I can't even imagine how her parent's go on. I used to walk that same path (sometimes with Kate) to go to Wheaton Plaza. It was safe back then - so we never thought much about it. That event has affected me, along with so many of us, in so many ways. I think about them alot and still hold out hope that somehow they are alive somewhere. I really didn't know Sheila, however, I do know that they also have 2 older brothers. One of them lives in my current neighborhood and he has 2 boys the same age as my boys are now. He works for a violent crimes unit with the county police....I guess that's not a surprise. My only hope is that the family can one day put closure to this horrible tragedy and the man who committed this crime pay for the rest of his life!!! They are (were) such a great family! I still hold out hope that one day they will find them. So sad....I actually still have the news clippings of when this happened. I remember watching the news night - being scared to death - and looking at their pictures hoping they would show up at school one day. I still occasionally pull out the old newspapers read them and cry....So sad.
Hello classmate- I can tell you must have known Kate from Oakland Terrace Elementary, but she did not disappear from your class in fourth grade. She disappeared as a fifth grader in Ms. McGee's class. She also does not have two older brothers. She had a brother in third grade at the time of the disappearance. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but these were personal neighborhood friends of mine, and I have read so much incorrect information over the years.

Since: Sep 08

Bowie, MD

#95 Feb 10, 2014
Nia

Washington, DC

#96 Feb 10, 2014
My Mother said she read at the time that a sales clerk saw them looking worried and looking behind them like someone was following them.If the killer was posing as a cop doubtful they would have been scared like that.
VATepper

Baltimore, MD

#97 Feb 11, 2014
News conference today at 12:15 with Montgomery County Police and the FBI regarding person of interest.
The Pee Eye Gee

Arlington, VA

#98 Feb 11, 2014
I remember this from when I was just a little kid growing up in Arlington. It was the first time I remember anything like this. It was all over TV and their pics were posted everywhere, including the 7-11 I went to daily for junk food.

A lot of parents kept their children inside for a few weeks and drove the to and from school. I've never forgotten about the Lyon sisters.
Foxygul

Rockville, MD

#99 Mar 4, 2014
Nobody ever talks about the possibility of them Sheila and Katherine running away from home.

Since: Apr 15

Location hidden

#101 Apr 19, 2015
Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
Got me wondering now about this here Dugard case. She survived 19 years of this guy, though she had children and so forth. Now, I h ave been in some ways onto the Lyon case over these many years, and I still believe that they are living. I look at the Dugard case, I even look at the cases of the women outwest at the compound, and those are the areas that I see Kathy and Sheila Lyon in. They are about 40 plus now, and I believe also they could not return here. Yet, we need to further get this case going again, and get the word out there to get those sisters back.
Joseph
Hello Joseph. I was reading your comment from about 6 years ago. Is there a way to send personal messages on here? I just joined. Thanks.

Location hidden

#102 Apr 19, 2015
greggg wrote:
I was personal friends with the two sisters in 1975. Kate was in my fifth grade class at Oakland Terrace Elementary, and she was such an amazing girl. Funny, smart, athletic and very pretty. Her older sister went to the local jounior high school (Newport Jr. High), and she was known as being a very similar person. The disappearance of our dear neighborhood friends changed all of our childhoods. Many of us walked to and from Wheaton Plaza to shop, eat pizza and play hide-and-go seek in the department stores during this era. This all changed on March 25, 1975. Our community developed neighborhood watches to try to create security, but the reality was this had been stolen from us all. I continued to know the Lyon family for many years as their younger brother Joe and older brother Jay continued going to school with us all. Over the years I heard many stories about sightings and leads to solve this case and all proved nothing. I have thought about the two beautiful sisters many times over the years, and I hope the family can now get some closure with the evidence being discussed. To Sheila and Kate Lyon -- you have been loved, missed and thought about every day by so many. R.I.P.
Hi greggg. I just joined here. I'm learning if there is a way to send personal messages. Please send me a message if you can about your post. Thanks.

Location hidden

#103 Apr 19, 2015
Kate Lyons classmate wrote:
The disappearance of Kate and Sheila Lyon haunts me to this day. Kate was in my 4th grade class the year she disappeared. I will never forget Kate - she was such a sweet beautiful girl. That was a very tough time for all of us who went to school with them. I can't even imagine how her parent's go on. I used to walk that same path (sometimes with Kate) to go to Wheaton Plaza. It was safe back then - so we never thought much about it. That event has affected me, along with so many of us, in so many ways. I think about them alot and still hold out hope that somehow they are alive somewhere. I really didn't know Sheila, however, I do know that they also have 2 older brothers. One of them lives in my current neighborhood and he has 2 boys the same age as my boys are now. He works for a violent crimes unit with the county police....I guess that's not a surprise. My only hope is that the family can one day put closure to this horrible tragedy and the man who committed this crime pay for the rest of his life!!! They are (were) such a great family! I still hold out hope that one day they will find them. So sad....I actually still have the news clippings of when this happened. I remember watching the news every night - being scared to death - and looking at their pictures hoping they would show up at school one day. I still occasionally pull out the old newspapers read them and cry....So sad.
Hi. I just joined Topix and read your post. Could you send me a personal message about your post? I am trying to figure out how the messaging works. Perhaps some who posted are no longer current members.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stevensville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News County Council to discuss cutting utility rates Jul 9 brian schneider 1
News Homeless Shelter Coming to Kent Island Has Some... Jul 4 john 1
News Naval Academy welcomes new superintendent (Jul '14) Jun '15 free ANAT KAMM 14
beth english Jun '15 old classmate rhs 1
News Sheriff's office begins prioritizing heroin-rel... Jun '15 Darkwind 1
News Md. Honors its Fallen Firefighters, Medic Jun '15 Old One 1
News Repeal of 'rain tax' requirement yet to trickle... Jun '15 okimar 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stevensville Mortgages