Residents Give Gorge Commission an Ea...

Residents Give Gorge Commission an Earful on Broughton Resort

There are 8 comments on the New West Network story from Jan 19, 2007, titled Residents Give Gorge Commission an Earful on Broughton Resort. In it, New West Network reports that:

We've reported here about the proposed new Columba Gorge resort at Broughton, site of the historic, decrepit lumber mill west of Bingen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New West Network.

Shirley Castle

United States

#1 Jan 23, 2007
It seems the development will be a good thing for the area in an economic way. The property, as is, is not attractive and is already developed and going into disrepair. If it can be redeveloped into a property that can bring jobs, add to the aesthetic value of the area and rid the area of yet another eyesore, good for them. It is after all, not up on the hill to destroy the view of the gorge itself.
Mr George Carter

Sunnyside, WA

#2 Feb 14, 2007
This sprawling resort planned at the Broughton Mill site has been reduced to almost half the original size and scope but still would be invasive to the area as to respect for the veiwing from Hood River sites and a state park. There is reason to disaalow the project for these reasons alone. Allthough the skamania commisoners have seen it so far and sent the proposal to the Gorge Commission for study there has been a relavent precursor "for" development as of late in kamania County. What with a few larger developements underway or under reveiw within Steveson and North Bonneville areas the county commissioner Paul Pearce has been a leading force for the developement in the area. Many voters I know will be looking much more closely at the future propsitions before the board and, I would hope, studying Mr. Pearce's representation as a commisioner for the area.
Mr George Carter

Sunnyside, WA

#3 Feb 14, 2007
This site is in error I live in Skamania County WA not in Gaston Oregon.and Shirley you can keep your developements in CA all you would like. I prefer to Look at the scenery not hotels. I like to fish in the Columbia River,not be run over while in my boat while I fish,by personal watercraft users nor windsurf/sailboarders which is happening on a much more regular occurance.
Teresa Rosenkranz

AOL

#4 Feb 14, 2007
My personal interest in this developement is that this property was once owned by my ancesters. My grandmother played there. This development what ever it should become should respect the people who live in the area. The development's focus is on tourism and the money that will come in from the tourists. Will this development bring family wage jobs?
yada

Hood River, OR

#5 Feb 20, 2007
yada
James Jefferson

Pullman, WA

#6 Mar 1, 2007
I too am from the gorge, and I am SO SICK of hearing the gorge commission whine about this and that, people's land is just that, their land. Who are they to say who can do what with the land that they own and pay taxes on. Even in areas that are buildable the hoops that you are required to jump through are sickening! Our forefathers would be turning in their graves to see what a stuck up smug people we have become. LET THEM BUILD IT.
Steven Schoenfeld

Vancouver, WA

#7 Jun 13, 2007
I'm against the size of the proposed resort and amending the scenic act. its sets a bad precedent for the future of the area.
Adam Foreman

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Jun 14, 2007
I am a direct decendant of the indians that come from the gorge , most of my family is buried in the pioneer cemetary in North Bonneville . I don't see any problem with people using there land for whatever they want it is their land . It is pretty sick to see a bunch of stuffed shirt idiots tell people what they can do with something they own. As for the lady that said something about family wage jobs . Give me a break . Jobs are jobs. What people don't understand is that not all industries can support family waged jobs. The same people that say that would be furious if when they went to a restaraunt or resort and the price for the room or meal was astronomical because the prep cook is being paid 24 dollars an hour and somebody has to fit the bill. Think about it yes these people aren't going to get ahead doing remedial jobs but that is the incentive to advance in their field or learn another profession . When we insist on paying well no matter what the job we are only going to raise the price of everything to a point where only the rich can afford to do even the little things like taking their family out to dinner

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stevenson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deportation tears apart family of 9 Mon Erich 1
Tired of blacks in Washougal. Debate. (Feb '14) Sep 3 Jenn 5
News Forest Service Approves Exploratory Mining Near... Sep 1 jkmaples 2
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Vancouver Jun '17 Eleanor 2
News Letter: Inslee should reject terminals Jun '17 DonSteinke 1
News Stover gets more charges, higher bail (Dec '16) Jun '17 Magoo 3
News Rainbow Family apparently eyeing Gifford Pincho... (Jun '11) Jun '15 MonaTalk 4

Stevenson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stevenson Mortgages