Leominster officials wary of proposed subdivision - Sentinel & ...

A proposed subdivision off Elm Street is meeting with concern from city councilors, members of the Leominster Sportsmen's Club and even Mayor Dean Mazzarella. Full Story
unknown

Burlington, MA

#1 Aug 20, 2008
How about paving Elm street? It remains the worst road to travel on in Leominster with giant potholes consuming most small cars.
Daisy

Canton, MA

#2 Aug 20, 2008
I think building houses that close to the live range is a really bad idea. I hear the range on Wachusett Street but it doesnt bother me but that is not saying living across the street wouldnt bother some. Some people are up and out early shooting at this range. Not to mention the risk associated with homeowners with young children. I seriously hope the plan does not go through.
Wondering

Burlington, MA

#3 Aug 20, 2008
I have no stake in either side of this issue, but I do have some thoughts.
-the Sportsman Club has been in operation for many years. I remember it as a child and I'm old now.
-should their operation be jeopardized for the sake of newcomers?
-why shouldn't potential home buyers be subject to a "buyer beware" condition?
-as far as plowing, I think Leominster is being short-sighted. I ask, is there no other area in Leominster where a different town plows a few feet for convenience sake and vice-versa?
-obviously there are roads and streets that cross borders. I seriously doubt that plows push snow to the border and then back up.
-it's easy enough to agree on a compromise where Leominster plows here and Sterling plows somewhere else.
Ralph Buono

Monomoy Island, MA

#4 Aug 20, 2008
I find it interesting Mr. Pellechia's comments about "I can't afford to pay taxes". Mr. Pellechia is a major owner of real estate in Leominster. He owned the property where Home Depot is, and owns a number of properties on Central Street. He is far from poor and is a millionaire.

Isn't he also financing the Elm Street project via the "Pellechia Trust" ? It's also a known fact that Pellechia doesn't get along with the City of Leominster, due to politics.

There is more to this story...
Mr X

Arlington, MA

#5 Aug 20, 2008
Imagine a neighbor telling that he doesn't like the way you cut your grass! Kind of insane? The politicians have their oppurtunity via zoning and or rules and regulations of the subdivision control law(s), if they choose to bend them to fit their "position" of a proposed project the are subject to some horrific court experiences. It was only a couple of months ago when the sportsmen club opposed the ANR (approval not required) with no legal standing. Again .....should a neighbor be able to tell you what you can or cannot do with your land, espically if your following the rules of the Town/Planning Board?
George W in DC

Springfield, MA

#6 Aug 20, 2008
The sportmans' club members are afraid the new homeowners may start shooting back.
Wayne LaPlant

Worcester, MA

#7 Aug 21, 2008
Just look at all the trouble Clinton had with it's fire range. If you let this go threw I quantee that the Sportsman Club will have nothing but trouble and expense's it can't afford. The owner the land could afford the land ao he should not be crying about having to pay taxes on it.
anti

Braintree, MA

#8 Aug 21, 2008
People have a right to do what they want with their land,if it follows all the regulations. it doesnt matter if they can afford the taxes on it or not.none of you would have the same perspective if it was YOUR land you were trying to develop
Just Curious

Somerville, MA

#9 Aug 21, 2008
I am surprised in today's housing market that a developer would be willing to undertake a project of this size with this much controversy. As I take my daily walk and ride around town, I see numerious "For Sale" signs - some of which have been there for months. I am sure the developer's research and marketing department is more aware than my curiosity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Holden, MA (Jan '12) 6 hr Brian_G 22
Family mourns loss of young mother devoted to b... (Jul '09) 19 hr Kevin Lynch 41
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs Sun Kevin Lynch 6
Review: Trespass Towing Oct 16 kathyd 1
SJC HVAC . Are they incompetent and do lousy work Oct 12 Rob 1
will jtn be employed in 2014? (Mar '14) Oct 12 Frederico 9
Jeff Cordio. Ruined lives. (Nov '13) Oct 11 insider 9

Sterling News Video

Sterling Dating
Find my Match

Sterling Jobs

Sterling People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sterling News, Events & Info