Commission chairman addresses 'proble...

Commission chairman addresses 'problem with intoxicated people'...

There are 78 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 9, 2008, titled Commission chairman addresses 'problem with intoxicated people'.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The Leominster License Commission may consider requiring city bars to close earlier in order to stop a recent trend of people getting over-served, according to chairman Paul Leblanc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
conner

Clinton, MA

#1 Dec 9, 2008
"If places close early enough, these people will be forced to go to other towns early in the morning".

Yeah, let them kill people somewhere else.
I hope

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Dec 9, 2008
I really hope that this commission chair was misquoted in this article. Did he really say that he wanted to cut back hours so people would go to surrounding towns to get (more) drunk late at night?

So either people will drink more up until 12:30am, and be just as intoxicated when they hit the streets of leominster, or they will come to Fitchburg, get intoxicated, and drive back to Leominster...

Is it just me, or does he not win the prize for stupidest comment ever?

How about enforcing the policies of the ABCC and shutting down the places who repeatedly overserve their patrons, and serve minors?

COMMON SENSE!
what a dope

AOL

#3 Dec 9, 2008
conner wrote:
"If places close early enough, these people will be forced to go to other towns early in the morning".
Yeah, let them kill people somewhere else.
No kidding-there's some leadership and management skill at work-let's ship'em out to other towns so they can not only wreak havoc there, but maybe also along the way. What a tool. Ironic that is sounds like the two dopes that caused the trouble just came over from Sterling, guess his approach is already a proven failure.
Fitchburg Resident

Clinton, MA

#4 Dec 9, 2008
I was a bartender for a few years. When I was at bars in the area as a patron, I can tell you that shortening the hours during which people can drink does not help. Most young people around here (of age) go to bars/clubs at around 11:30-midnight. If the places stop serving liquor at 1, people will drink 4-5 drinks in that very short period of time. It actually can make people more intoxicated than they normally would be.

It is the bartender & bar manager's responsibility to make sure people are not being overserved. Places that serve food (even just chips) help people absorb alcohol in a safer way.

The commissioner needs to worry about people in general, not just in Leominster. Bars that cannot responsibily serve alcohol should be penalized, or not be allowed to serve alcohol.
Daisy

Boston, MA

#5 Dec 9, 2008
Im not so sure they were not at classics pub either. Have any of you ever been there? The place is so crowded with wall to wall people you can barely move so how on earth would you even know if they were in your bar?
Fitchburg Resident

Clinton, MA

#6 Dec 9, 2008
*responsibly, sorry.
Fitchburg Resident

Clinton, MA

#7 Dec 9, 2008
I was a bartender for a few years. When I went to area bars as a patron, I can tell you that shortening the hours during which people can drink does not help the problem. Most young people around here (of age) go to bars/clubs at 11:30-midnight. If the bars stop serving at 1 or earlier, people will drink 4-5 drinks during that short time period.

It is the bartender and bar manager's responsibility to make sure people are not being overserved. Places that serve food, even just chips, are helping to make sure alcohol is absorbed more safely.

The commissioner should be worried about people in general, not just Leominster. If bars cannot serve liquor responsibly, they should be penalized or not be allowed to serve liquor anymore.
Fitchburg Resident

Clinton, MA

#8 Dec 9, 2008
Gotta love the Sentinel's website for deleting my comment, then posting it as soon as I re-typed it! Sorry about that guys.
Sure he does

Revere, MA

#9 Dec 9, 2008
Mr Rome allows cops in there late night, after hours to continue drinking all of the time. They sit in there with their girlsfriends or whoever they picked up that night. You're not fooling anyone Andy.
Are you serious

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Dec 9, 2008
People will get just as drunk they will just start drinking earlier. The bars already close to early!!! I work till 11:00 and like to go out after work, if the bars close earlier i'm gonna have to go to wORCESTER AND DRIVE HOME DRUNK... yOU PEOPLE ARE MORONS!!!
CLASSICS

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Dec 9, 2008
I've bee there many nights right until last call, Andy doesn't let anyone stay after they close. You people are morons and probably have a personal grudge
QEII

United States

#13 Dec 9, 2008
The commissioner should be worried about people in general, not just Leominster. If bars cannot serve liquor responsibly, they should be penalized or not be allowed to serve liquor anymore.

I couldn't agree more, i just did a christmas party this weekend and what happened makes me really want to stop bartending. Well, there is this thing still called open bar and it wasn't for an hour it was for the whole 5 hour function and when I tried to shut the bar down i not only forfeited a tip from the owner of the party he had for his employees I was harassed and yelled at! Now there is no more happy hour and there are all these groups such as M. A. D. D. etc., etc. and the laws are through the roof with DUI's but do you think they would stop corporations from having 5 hour open bars!? I hate them because people are not paying and drink obsessively like they have never had a drink before or it is going to be their last one..........so get this to the legislature for revamping, it is craziness and really puts a bartender in a no win situation.......we are the bad guys no matter what we do!
You are an idiot

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Dec 9, 2008
Are you serious wrote:
People will get just as drunk they will just start drinking earlier. The bars already close to early!!! I work till 11:00 and like to go out after work, if the bars close earlier i'm gonna have to go to wORCESTER AND DRIVE HOME DRUNK... yOU PEOPLE ARE MORONS!!!
I hope I'm not one of the MORONS on the road when you're driving home drunk from Worcester.
Getty

Peabody, MA

#15 Dec 9, 2008
Personally, I have been to Classics many times, he runs a tight ship top class
establishment... Many bars over serve people singling out Classics is not right.
Smells funny to me

Austin, TX

#16 Dec 9, 2008
Andy is going to get "one" of his off duty police officer friends to provide a written statement. How convenient, somebody must owe Andy a favor. Andy an ex-cop. They always stick up for each other.
Blame the trouble makers

Austin, TX

#17 Dec 9, 2008
I go out once in a while and I would never want to be in a bartenders shoes. You never hear any of our so called authorities place the blame on the people being idiots. Let's start placing the blame where it belongs, on the people causing the trouble. Make people responsible for their own actions.
the nose knows

Stoneham, MA

#18 Dec 9, 2008
when is campobasso's DU trial?
Marty

Windham, NH

#19 Dec 9, 2008
the nose knows wrote:
when is campobasso's DU trial?
He was found NOT GUILTY. I guess you have to hit more than three cars to qualify as a drunk driver. Maybe next time he'll kill someone.
Marty

Windham, NH

#20 Dec 9, 2008
"I hope" - you are exactly right!!

"How about enforcing the policies of the ABCC and shutting down the places who repeatedly overserve their patrons, and serve minors?"

But if the commission did that, there would be few places to "get your drink on" in Leominster.
Todd

Leominster, MA

#21 Dec 9, 2008
Blame the trouble makers wrote:
I go out once in a while and I would never want to be in a bartenders shoes. You never hear any of our so called authorities place the blame on the people being idiots. Let's start placing the blame where it belongs, on the people causing the trouble. Make people responsible for their own actions.
I agree with you 100% ruin it for all the people who go out to be social and have a couple of drinks and a bite to eat because of a few idiots. Life is full of idiots why we have laws. Going to 12:30am is silly for a city of 50K people, if anything the city needs more to do!! How about the commission goes out more to do spot checks rather then once a year. How about the bars hire police detail for security like they do in other cities, hmmmmm thatís an idea!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Clune 15 hr Lemonparty 5
News Flanagan's Senate seat, suddenly open, draws in... Sep 12 Lemonparty 10
News Man accused of murdering brother in Leominster Sep 8 Bruno max 1
News Lunenburg woman charged in $161 grocery theft (Oct '16) Sep 4 Xoxo 11
News Our Opinion: Berkshires, nation, rally against ... Aug '17 The public offender 16
News Ayer arrests (Aug '09) Aug '17 Nick 5
Beatles tribute returns for free Holden Concert Jul '17 Northeast Music S... 1

Sterling Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sterling Mortgages