Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Carolina in 2010?

Posted in the Stem Forum

Comments (Page 1,987)

Showing posts 39,721 - 39,740 of54,885
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
How many teachers have negotiated contracts for extended years and dismissal protection like that of the $150,000 + contracts of superintendents ? Teachers sign standard, mostly non negotiated yearly contracts with no dismissal protections . The public's perception of teacher employment conditions being the same as a superintendent's is totally inaccurate.
<quoted text>
Never said they were the same and never thought they were the same. My point was employment should be based on performance. Teachers choose the profession for various reasons. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/humanreso... I going to read through this little bit of "policy" and get informed on the teacher contracts.
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

waco1909 wrote:
NC won't allow collective bargaining for teachers.The state will offer teachers a certain amount of money.If a teacher decides that money is not enough, that teacher can search for employment elsewhere.That is their right. in America today more and more people work multiple jobs. more and more, prosperity seems to be out of reach for the common man. Morally militarily and economically America is in a state of decline. this may never be reversed'
I worked 3 jobs for over 25 years. One I liked the others I hated. But I wanted my family to do well and I provide for them. I did not ask the government to steal from others that work for their families and give to me. That is not what teacher want and the is not what they teach our kids. They teach and be leave they are entitled.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Wow.Just checked out the teachers pay and perks.Damn, they get great benefits! People should check this out!
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

It seems we are in total agreement in that employment should be based on performance. Teacher tenure assures that. Basing employment on your kinship , political party, physical attractiveness, sexual cooperation, gossip or failure to break/bend rules for school board member's children are some of the things tenure prevents.
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>Never said they were the same and never thought they were the same. My point was employment should be based on performance. Teachers choose the profession for various reasons. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/humanreso... I going to read through this little bit of "policy" and get informed on the teacher contracts.
Amy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

TSF wrote:
<quoted text>It seems we are in total agreement in that employment should be based on performance. Teacher tenure assures that. Basing employment on your kinship , political party, physical attractiveness, sexual cooperation, gossip or failure to break/bend rules for school board member's children are some of the things tenure prevents.
I totally agree!!!
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Almost everyone agrees that education is the way out of NC's economic slump. Technology has replaced our antiquated production methods and their unskilled labor intensive requirements. The modern economy needs technicians, mathematicians, engineers, technically savvy managers, economist with statistical and analytical knowledge, etc.. Children cannot acquire the basic knowledge prerequisite for the learning of these intellectually complex fields from under educated under paid unqualified baby sitters.
The backward and self destructive republican attack on public education is a serious mistake for which our state, its citizens and children will suffer, economically, intellectually and socially for years to come.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

TSF wrote:
Almost everyone agrees that education is the way out of NC's economic slump. Technology has replaced our antiquated production methods and their unskilled labor intensive requirements. The modern economy needs technicians, mathematicians, engineers, technically savvy managers, economist with statistical and analytical knowledge, etc.. Children cannot acquire the basic knowledge prerequisite for the learning of these intellectually complex fields from under educated under paid unqualified baby sitters.
The backward and self destructive republican attack on public education is a serious mistake for which our state, its citizens and children will suffer, economically, intellectually and socially for years to come.
OK, so now what are Republicans "attacking"?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

I don't know how education can rescue NC from its current economic slump.With jobs becoming more and more specialized, one would think that perhaps technical schools would be the way to go.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

We may also be overlooking the fact that the students actually have to WANT to learn.There are many things that can deflect the path of a good student these days.
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

The republikans have started dismantling public schools with $500 million in cuts. 4000 more teachers will be dismissed, 3800 teacher more teacher assistants will be dismissed, college tuition for 10,000 UNC system students will be raised. Tuition for community colleges will be raised and funds cut, the teaching fellows program is eliminated. Call Gov. McCorey today and tell him you want him to veto this budget. nine one nine -eight one four - two zero zero zero
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>OK, so now what are Republicans "attacking"?
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

NC has had one of the nation's most advanced and effective community college systems. Republikans are dismantling that also.
There is nothing else they could do to more effectively damage NC's future. Possibly we should require DNA testing instead of picture ID for voting . I am suspicious that many republican legislators and voters are not of this Earth.
waco1909 wrote:
I don't know how education can rescue NC from its current economic slump.With jobs becoming more and more specialized, one would think that perhaps technical schools would be the way to go.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Transforming Education

Governor McCrory is following through on his commitment to transform education by empowering North Carolina’s hardworking teachers and expanding opportunities for students to get the necessary skills and knowledge for success. His recommended budget:

Increases investment in early childhood education. The governor's budget allocates an additional $52.4 million over two years to fund services for an additional 5,000 at-risk four year olds, to serve a total of 30,000 four year olds per year through NC Pre-K.
Hires 1,800 more full-time teachers. The McCrory administration prioritizes resources on hiring more full-time certified teachers throughout North Carolina over the next two years rather than classroom assistants to help our students succeed in the classroom.
Dedicates more resources for digital learning. Governor McCrory’s budget follows through on his commitment to expand digital learning initiatives and promote technology in the classroom with $43 million in additional funding over two years. Lottery funds are directed to support the purchase of reading tablets and technology to help address 3rd grade reading achievement and other high priorities.
Establishes the Center for Safer Schools. Following through on his commitment to protect North Carolina's children, the governor's budget provides $625,000 over two years for the Center for Safer Schools to provide training and technical support to educators, law enforcement agencies, and parents.
Continues the implementation of the Excellent Public Schools Act. Governor McCrory’s budget provides $28 million in additional funding to help improve third grade reading proficiency. Funds will be used for summer reading camps and reading plans for parents.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Makes investments to ensure high school graduates are college and career ready. The governor's budget delivers on his vision of strengthening K-12 education and decreasing the need for remedial courses in higher education.$7.5 million is provided for diagnostics in grades 8-12 to identify students in need of assistance and provide individualized student instructional strategies to help ensure students graduate career and college ready.
Increases funding for high-demand courses in Community Colleges. The governor’s budget provides $32 million in additional funds over two years for resource-intensive community college programs in high demand by employers such as engineering, vocational and technology training.
Increases funding for technical education in Community Colleges. The governor's budget increases funding by $28 million over two years for technical education equipment and infrastructure in North Carolina's Community College system.
Supports university system’s effort to align higher education with changing market needs and current economic conditions. The governor's budget follows through on his commitment to promote enrollment in high-demand fields and align educational needs with the marketplace. It provides $63 million over two years to help fund the University of North Carolina’s Strategic Directions Plan, which will prepare students for workforce demands in various high-growth sectors.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

This is from the 2012-2013 Budget from the Gov.'s office. What is "attacking" about it? The US education system needs "overhauling" as everyone knows, where do you start?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

TSF it does seem as though "Dang"has rendered your posts to be embarrassingly inaccurate.Hiring 1800 more teachers, and full time ones at that! TSF you really should check your posts before you put them up.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Look TSF, just read Dangs' post that is headlined"transforming education". Do you like any of it?
Real Teacher

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

TSF your posts are horribly slanted and inaccurate.You are obviously intelligent,but you are not applying yourself.Perhaps your sources are simply biased.
New Guy

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

I`ve noticed that people on Topix are very prone to post statistics that back up their political leanings."Dang" usually uses legitimate govt. sites.Good for you "Dang",even though you make me look bad sometimes!!
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

You probably also fall for the big sales pitches that give you 18 % off but raised the price by 75%.

So if we fire 7500 full time teachers in all but hire 1800 full time in pre school and K , that is a LOSS of 5700 teachers.

What is embarrassing is the the lack of understanding of simple math that would allow anyone to be deceived by that flim flam.
waco1909 wrote:
TSF it does seem as though "Dang"has rendered your posts to be embarrassingly inaccurate.Hiring 1800 more teachers, and full time ones at that! TSF you really should check your posts before you put them up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 39,721 - 39,740 of54,885
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stem Discussions

Search the Stem Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
job corp (Apr '08) Jun 17 wayne33 121
south african indian girls (Jun '11) May '14 Nitasha 6
American spy's release would be high-stakes gamble Apr '14 Gray 37
5 charged in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father Apr '14 Guest 2
Do you approve of Renee Ellmers as Representative? (Feb '12) Apr '14 Terry 3
Source: U.S. talks with Israel on spy release Apr '14 Eleanor 5
Boston Chamber helps launch biz coalition for i... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Exactly 3
•••
•••