Church bell reported stolen near Fall...

Church bell reported stolen near Falls City

Posted in the Stella Forum

What the

Omaha, NE

#1 Sep 22, 2006
Church bell reported stolen near Falls City
By the Lincoln Journal Star
Members of a country church near Falls City are hoping whoever stole their church bell recently will realize the error of their ways.
In the meantime, they’ll ask for divine guidance for the thieves.
“We are going to have a prayer service for these people on Sunday,” church member Nelle Pfister said Thursday.“We think they need our prayers.”
Some time between Sept. 10 and Sept. 14, someone stole the bronze church bell that’s been hanging for nearly 50 years in the steeple of St. Peter Lutheran Church, 12 miles northeast of Falls City, Pfister said.
The Richardson County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it had received a report of a stolen bell from the church, though the office said it had no suspects in the theft.
Thieves also have taken an interest in old church bells just east across the Missouri River, according to the Mound City, Mo., News.
The newspaper reported Thursday that two bells had been stolen in the area, one from a church near Craig, Mo., and another from a nearby cemetery, bringing the number of stolen bells reported this month in northwest Missouri to three.
Pfister said the St. Peter bell had been at the church since about the 1950s. She said it measured about 32 inches across at its base and weighed between 750 and 800 pounds.
“We’re hoping they can’t melt that down,” she said, adding she believes multiple thieves took the bell to sell as scrap metal.
According to Alter Scrap Processing — a recycling center that takes scrap metal in Lincoln — the going rate for bronze, also known as yellow brass, is $1.40 a pound.
wanda

United States

#2 Sep 27, 2006
catch them
gottahaveaname

Lincoln, NE

#3 Jul 23, 2007
hmm... dont know about that, BUT i do know who stole all the gazing balls. Itll cost ya...
hmmm

Duluth, MN

#4 Sep 14, 2009
I used to hang around Rock Port, mo a few years back and I do know some ppl that did this kind of thieving in the area. I was close to one of them...tho didn't know what was happening at the time. Jeremy Smizer and his father are famous for stealing copper, church bells, and any antiques really. I do know that Jeremy is or has been on the run for stolen copper. Jarod Hudson of Rock Port was pretty much his side kick. They stole things and sold them to a place somewhere in Iowa. Thats all that I know. Hope it helps!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stella Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aiden kaine Sat Less worried 7
Fried Chicken Dec 6 George 5
Berberich Dec 6 Okay 2
Canman (May '17) Dec 5 Brother Ezekiel 5
Will Charles Manson ever Win Freedom from Prison? (Jun '07) Nov 21 grape vine 132
i heard about a drug dealer in stella (Sep '08) Nov 18 WithAcapitolC 6
derek (Dec '11) Nov 18 WithAcapitolC 7

Stella Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stella Mortgages