Neb.'s Nemaha County to vote on bonds...

Neb.'s Nemaha County to vote on bonds for new jail

There are 179 comments on the Beatrice Daily Sun story from Aug 30, 2008, titled Neb.'s Nemaha County to vote on bonds for new jail. In it, Beatrice Daily Sun reports that:

Voters in southeast Nebraska's Nemaha County will decide in November whether to approve nearly $8.6 million in bonds for a new jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Beatrice Daily Sun.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
question

Brownville, NE

#162 Nov 5, 2008
Christine wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously don't know anything about me. That is my personality and those that have taken the time to get to know me, know that, AND know I do not think I'm superior.
You, on the other hand, have to resort to name calling to get your point across and hide under an alias name! I don't want to know people like you! Have a great day!
Oh, yeah, it is my fault, I made a silly ASSumption. Good grief! I mean, I should know you personally and I would have understood that is how you behave towards everyone...

Since: Nov 07

Auburn, Nebraska

#163 Nov 5, 2008
Why don't you two take your pointless and annoying bickering outside? Now that the new jail has been kaboshed, there's no point continuing this thread anyway.
jim egnatalski

Brownville, NE

#164 Nov 6, 2008
AMEN.
Senile

York, NE

#165 Nov 8, 2008
Spaminator wrote:
Actually, I would like to see the county build a new courthouse/law enforcement facility somewhere near Auburn. The old courthouse has definitely outlived its usefulness as such, and could be turned into something else instead. That way we could accomplish much more than just building a new jail.
There goes your historic status !
jim egnatalski

Brownville, NE

#166 Nov 11, 2008
How damn dumb do you think people are. This thing was never going to pass and you know it. HAPPY VETERANS DAY.

Auburn, Nebraska

#167 Nov 11, 2008
jim egnatalski wrote:
How damn dumb do you think people are. This thing was never going to pass and you know it. HAPPY VETERANS DAY.
It might have stood a chance had the people around here not been lied to over and over about all sorts of grand schemes during the last three decades. I think it will be a long, long time before the voters in this area give another nickel for anything.
Person

York, NE

#168 Nov 12, 2008
Well here is my thought we might need a new jail but we dont need to have that big of one... They are in there for a crime not to be in the 5 star hotel.. sleep on the floor... and they do have private cells for women and underage dont they...
LOL

Brownville, NE

#169 Dec 11, 2008
LOL,LOL LOL
ghost town

York, NE

#170 Jan 9, 2009
It can work wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason the Feds would actually help is because you keep a certain number of beds open for them at any given time. Say the new jail houses 120 inmates. The Feds would say that Nemaha County should keep 60 of those beds open for their inmates. The rest of the jail could be kept open for Nemaha inmates and surrounding counties if they choose to house them here. The Feds would never keep the jail full but they would house them here on a regular basis. There would be instances where ICE which is the old INS would possibly show up for a few hours at night to sleep. I have seen busses of 20-30 come in at a time. Right there is $2000. Just to let them sleep there. There are many ways this jail could work here.
So tell them to go to howard johnsons to get a room, it would be a hell of alot cheaper than 9 million dollars.
ghost town

York, NE

#171 Jan 9, 2009
huh wrote:
It is a vicious cycle isn't it. We all need to jump in and start somewhere. Maybe we need to be better neighbors to the neighbors we have and then let it trickle down from there. I don't have a lot of money, but I am not afraid to spend what I do have of money and time, to better my community and improve the educational setting my children have the priviledge to have access to. American's are so blessed everyday, but most are to blind or selfish to thank their God for what they do have, even if it is little.
I bet that your name is Dorothy and your from Kansas, Right?
back at ya

United States

#172 Jan 9, 2009
ghost town wrote:
<quoted text> So tell them to go to howard johnsons to get a room, it would be a hell of alot cheaper than 9 million dollars.
I like that idea!

Auburn, Nebraska

#173 Jan 9, 2009
I don't care how it works, I still don't want a bunch of dangerous Federal prisoners brought to my doorstep. Ever. I live here to be away from that sort of crap. I don't want it delivered to me no matter how infrequently it happens.
Ghost Town

York, NE

#174 Feb 5, 2009
Christine wrote:
I want to clarify that I have never, and am not now, comparing what has gone on in Platte County with what could happen in Nemaha County. I didn't go back through my postings before this one, but I'm pretty sure my statements have been geared specifically toward OUR current facility, the problems with it, and my OPINIONS on why I am for a new facility. No, I do NOT know everything, but do have a different perspective than some, as well as an understanding of how the money flows in a county sheriff's department.
I have no problem with people researching before spending their money...or I wouldn't have provided the information above on PCDS. I would also encourage you to research the Cass County facility. I have not done so myself, but was told it paid for itself in about a year?? Understand,I am NOT saying this is true, or that ours would be. I work in District 5 probation, which includes Otoe,Cass,and Sarpy counties, and it was part of a conversation between co-workers.
Thank you in advance for not twisting my words and/or making more ASSumptions!
So why don't you just live here awhile before jumping into something you have not a clue about like comparing auburb to a larger city life, You have no idea what you are talking about. Platte county is not Auburn Nebraska. You will find out about the cover ups that have occured here with the schools and other crap, the bottom line is the county is losing population and the city has not increased for several years if it wasn't for the nuclear plant Auburn would have folded along time ago, the only problem with the plant is that they brought big bucks with them and everything has increased tri fold including houses and rental properties.IE gasoline at casey's and food.
sameocrap

York, NE

#175 Feb 5, 2009
Rev my engine baby wrote:
Kris Gill is sexy !!!!! I like a chick who speaks her mind. But I think you missed one key point, the 70 bed thing, the more beds you have the more you can "rent" out to other agencies and the more revenue you can make. From what I have seen and heard the initial(bulding)cost differnece between a 40 bed jail versus a 70 bed jail is 1 million which if broken down represents a tax increase/bond differnence of less than 1 cent. Couple that with the fact bed rentable jail cells translate into pure profit I dont know why you woulndt build a 300 bed jail - assuming you could rent them out.$50-100 bucks per inmate per day adds up fast, soon all Nemaha County residents will be driving brand new BMW's!!!!!!
I bet you could rent a bed alot cheaper at one of the motels, Same cock roaches they won't mind a bit!! Didn't know inmates rented rooms, think maybe I'll build me some condos for em!!! Last time I checked its the tax payer in the end thats going to foot the bill, whether it be FEDERAL,STATE or LOCAL criminals ,come out of the same wallet !!!!!!!!!!
Christine

York, NE

#176 Feb 5, 2009
Ghost Town wrote:
<quoted text> So why don't you just live here awhile before jumping into something you have not a clue about like comparing auburb to a larger city life, You have no idea what you are talking about. Platte county is not Auburn Nebraska. You will find out about the cover ups that have occured here with the schools and other crap, the bottom line is the county is losing population and the city has not increased for several years if it wasn't for the nuclear plant Auburn would have folded along time ago, the only problem with the plant is that they brought big bucks with them and everything has increased tri fold including houses and rental properties.IE gasoline at casey's and food.
I was a bit surprised to see this topic had been resurrected. I actually had to laugh about your comments!
I have lived here almost 12 years now, so you can drop that lame argument. I've heard all about the "cover ups" in Auburn regarding everything from the school, ACI, Orschelns, the doctors/hospital, and the best one....the swingers in town! If you actually believe everything you hear, this town would've been dead a long time ago! I'm not saying stuff like this doesn't happen, but unless you have solid proof, you have nothing. If someone does have solid proof of "cover ups" they better be stepping up or shutting up. Which one are you?
Your comment about Cooper nuclear was amusing also, since that's how we ended up here. We didn't come from another state, we didn't pay 6 figures for a house, and we don't have money coming out our butt. Not everyone who comes to work at Cooper does and that's something this community needs to put in perspective. When the owners/realtors of the property jack up the price, what is a person moving here supposed to do? Look around Auburn and look at how many houses have been for sale FOREVER because they are overpriced OR someone paid too much for it, moved and can't get their money back out of it! I know of several that have been on the market for years! The "natives" need to quit complaining and blaming their problems on Cooper people. If they wouldn't have renewed their licensing you'd be on here complaining about that!Lord knows I'm not comparing Auburn to a bigger city! Most of the people who walk around with their noses in the air wouldn't be doing that in a bigger city because they wouldn't have their "good ol boys" club to back them up.
robert

Brownville, NE

#177 Feb 6, 2009
Christine wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a bit surprised to see this topic had been resurrected. I actually had to laugh about your comments!
I have lived here almost 12 years now, so you can drop that lame argument. I've heard all about the "cover ups" in Auburn regarding everything from the school, ACI, Orschelns, the doctors/hospital, and the best one....the swingers in town! If you actually believe everything you hear, this town would've been dead a long time ago! I'm not saying stuff like this doesn't happen, but unless you have solid proof, you have nothing. If someone does have solid proof of "cover ups" they better be stepping up or shutting up. Which one are you?
Your comment about Cooper nuclear was amusing also, since that's how we ended up here. We didn't come from another state, we didn't pay 6 figures for a house, and we don't have money coming out our butt. Not everyone who comes to work at Cooper does and that's something this community needs to put in perspective. When the owners/realtors of the property jack up the price, what is a person moving here supposed to do? Look around Auburn and look at how many houses have been for sale FOREVER because they are overpriced OR someone paid too much for it, moved and can't get their money back out of it! I know of several that have been on the market for years! The "natives" need to quit complaining and blaming their problems on Cooper people. If they wouldn't have renewed their licensing you'd be on here complaining about that!Lord knows I'm not comparing Auburn to a bigger city! Most of the people who walk around with their noses in the air wouldn't be doing that in a bigger city because they wouldn't have their "good ol boys" club to back them up.
you have got to be the smartest person in auburn.LOL

Auburn, Nebraska

#178 Feb 7, 2009
Christine wrote:
<quoted text>
Fianlly someone with some intelligence posting here LOL.

Auburn, Nebraska

#179 Feb 7, 2009
Finally LOL. Duh. Sorry, I'm drunk.
Donald White

Kansas City, MO

#180 Aug 23, 2013
krollbuddy wrote:
<quoted text>
So my family is at risk if this jail is not built? Really?
Hey, if you can shell out and extra $10-20 or even 30 bucks a month, on top of your taxes going up because of evaluations, then good for you. I don't agree with this new jail and none your antics are not going to change my mind. I can't stop my taxes from going up from typical yearly evaluations but I can stop it from going up on stupid things like this... Glad you pointed that part out.
I see all the buzz words are being thrown out in an attempt to try and bully people into voting this in.
Has that prison helped Tecumseh move "forward"? I hear they don't like it at all. I suspect the same type of people tried the "forward thinking" nonsense with them too.
let's not try to correct what is going wrong, lets not try to educate people, lets not try and teach values...lets build more jails.. Yeah, that will work, throw money at the problem.
Your family is a bunch of mental misfits especially you and Michelle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stella Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
13th & Fulton Tweaker Central Fri Judges Need Replaced 2
Loser waitress (Jun '15) Thu Mdwfcne 17
Money grubbing tramp Thu Rebecca 1
Resting b face Jul 27 Southern bell 6
Tanner Lambert (Oct '09) Jul 21 LuckyBlueEyez 48
Christina Fouraker/Kopf (Sep '10) Jul 19 annoyedbyyou 46
John Reger (Jul '12) May '16 alsocurious 2

Stella Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance