Neb.'s Nemaha County to vote on bonds for new jail

Aug 30, 2008 Full story: Beatrice Daily Sun 179

Voters in southeast Nebraska's Nemaha County will decide in November whether to approve nearly $8.6 million in bonds for a new jail.

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
blacksheep

Auburn, NE

#1 Sep 8, 2008
Taxes are low,Fuel is cheap,The economy is in great shape.Why not?
Why not

Lincoln, NE

#2 Sep 8, 2008
indeed. It could bring in additional income to the area with other counties housing their prisoners there, so why would we want to bother?
Are you kidding me

United States

#3 Sep 8, 2008
Oh, totally! He, instead of passing all the school bonds, iunstead of improving the sub-par academic standards in Auburn schools, instead of bringing real jobs to Auburn, let's build more prisons!! Because that's always the answer!(That sound you hear is me banging my head on the wall)
Why

York, NE

#4 Sep 8, 2008
Are you kidding me wrote:
Oh, totally! He, instead of passing all the school bonds, iunstead of improving the sub-par academic standards in Auburn schools, instead of bringing real jobs to Auburn, let's build more prisons!! Because that's always the answer!(That sound you hear is me banging my head on the wall)
The jail issue is decades old and it just has not been dealt with yet. As long as there are criminals, we will need jails to house them and there is no way around it. If our jail is not improved, nemaha county inmates could end up in a different county jail only to cost the tax payers more money. It time to build a bigger and better jail.

Since: Nov 07

Auburn, Nebraska

#5 Sep 8, 2008
Maybe it's just time to find a better, more effective way to deal with non-violent offenders. It's getting to the point where people are jailed for long periods for even minor infractions. I don't want a new jail. We just built the one we have a few years ago.
Jail

Neligh, NE

#6 Sep 8, 2008
The current Nemaha County Jail was built in 1974.
CSD Junior

Lincoln, NE

#7 Sep 8, 2008
I agree with CSD that other options need to be looked at, like shipping the doofuses to Missouri where they can imbreed along the eastern side of the river. Raising taxes is bad, takes away from my cash for green bud and beer.
StuckenformerNDc oach

Lincoln, NE

#8 Sep 8, 2008
Hell no we wont pay, hell no we wont pay, hell no we wont pay....oh wait, would it come with a frosted long neck?

Since: Nov 07

Auburn, Nebraska

#9 Sep 8, 2008
Jail wrote:
The current Nemaha County Jail was built in 1974.
Yeah. See? It's cutting edge.
blacksheep

Auburn, NE

#10 Sep 9, 2008
I would say that most of the houses in nemaha county were built before 1974 . .
Kris Gill

York, NE

#11 Sep 9, 2008
First off, whoever is judging everything that CSD has to say as spam, grow up, you are being childish.

Now as for the jail. I do believe we need a better facility. A safer one for the employees who have to work there.

What we DO NOT need is a 70 (expandable to 90)bed "jail". Why can't it be 30? And they certainly don't need all the extra ammenties. They are in jail. They should have a cell and a place to play basketball outside. Books can be brought in from the library, if they can read. They don't need TV or movies. A chapel? So they can act like they are saved only to get out and start commiting the same crimes again?

Jail is not something that should be better living conditions that what they came from. It should suck a** to be in jail.

You want to know why there are so many people in jail....look at the condtions they are living in now and look at what it's like to be in jail. If they were miserable(in jail), they sure wouldn't want to go back now would they? The only people that are afraid of jail are the people who have it better in the real world.

I will vote no for the 90 bed "jail" they are proposing. Now if they want to build a 30 bed jail, with no luxuries for the inmates and more security for employees, then I would absolutely vote yes.

Oh, and they are insane proposing to build this "jail" across the street from the highschool. That is a hostage situation waiting to happen. Just something to think about.

Have a wonderful day all.
question

Auburn, NE

#12 Sep 9, 2008
Didn't someone in an earlier post give some statistics about inmate population?

I can't find it.
Christine Dauel

Blair, NE

#13 Sep 9, 2008
As someone who has a bit of knowledge in this area, I'd like to make a few points on this topic. Nemaha County MUST HAVE a new jail for several reasons:

* You cannot house juveniles along with adults. They must have a separate area, which they do not always have here now, if at all, dependent on the current jail population.
* You cannot house females with males. They also must have a separate area, again they may or may not have now (see above).
* Prisoners do have a right to some privacy regarding who knows they are in jail or not.

In order to keep things the way they are, or to build a smaller facility, keep these things in mind:

* Price of gasoline/maintenance on county vehicles. If inmates are housed elsewhere because we don't have the room, a county employee must use county transportation to transport them to and from court, treatment, etc. This would definitely go down with our own facility.
* County employee wages to transport these inmates. Again, goes down and/or away with our own facility.
* Time. To my knowledge, Nemaha County does not have a reserve deputy system. If I am correct on this, it means a deputy is actually transporting inmates instead of being on the road and handling calls. But I guess this gives the gossip mongers more fodder for b*tching about law enforcement.
* Money. Nemaha County MUST pay the facility that is housing these inmates as well for the duration they are housed there. These are fees that go away with our own, bigger facility.
* Safety. A newer facility would mean up to date security for employees, as well as inmates. My guess is in 1974, the county wasn't thinking about how to deal with someone totally nuts on methamphetamine or keeping someone safe from self harm. Transporting inmates also can be a risk of inmate escape or harm to the county employee handling them. Things have changed people!!

If Nemaha County builds a new facility, I'm sure we would end up housing other county's inmates. This means income for Nemaha County! As far as building by the high school, I have no issue with that, but I was raised with law enforcement my whole life. The school has invested in a new security system and Nemaha County doesn't house a lot of violent offenders.

Southeast Nebraska is, however, seeing a rise in drug/meth involvement. Are we supposed to not arrest someone because we can't house them (here or elsewhere)? This is not about the stereotypical "3 hots and a cot" argument. Auburn is always talking about "supporting locally" and "keeping up with the times." Guess what? This is a business and it's time to step up and put the money where the mouth is!
curious

Lincoln, NE

#14 Sep 9, 2008
I agree with Christine. A secure jail here in town may not be something that attracts more people to town...or at least not the kind we want...but it is a necessity for all of those reasons.

I don't want to see it out by the school, however, because that isn't going to give people a safe feeling.
Suggestions

Lewisburg, PA

#15 Sep 9, 2008
The new jail is a must, not only for the safety of everyone but for the simple fact of being overcrowded. If you look at statistics inmate population is growing at an overwhelming rate. I don't believe it is going to get any better. Wouldn't someone rather save all the costs involved of transporting/housing prisoners in other county's jails and put that money toward bettering Nemaha County (safety wise). It's sad to say but times are changing and larger jail facilities are just a sign of the times. And it is just my opinion but it would be better to spend a little more and make the jail the size that we are needing rather than be back in this situation five years from now when crime is more than likely worse and the inmate population has grown even more.
blacksheep

Auburn, NE

#16 Sep 9, 2008
I guess you have to remember that there is a state trooper involed. LOL.
Rev my engine baby

Lincoln, NE

#17 Sep 9, 2008
Kris Gill is sexy !!!!! I like a chick who speaks her mind. But I think you missed one key point, the 70 bed thing, the more beds you have the more you can "rent" out to other agencies and the more revenue you can make. From what I have seen and heard the initial(bulding)cost differnece between a 40 bed jail versus a 70 bed jail is 1 million which if broken down represents a tax increase/bond differnence of less than 1 cent. Couple that with the fact bed rentable jail cells translate into pure profit I dont know why you woulndt build a 300 bed jail - assuming you could rent them out.$50-100 bucks per inmate per day adds up fast, soon all Nemaha County residents will be driving brand new BMW's!!!!!!
listen

United States

#18 Sep 9, 2008
why not build on to the existing jail? does the land north not belong to them? auburn just wants everything new, too bad there aren't some new jobs to go along with all this new building they want to do.
Kris Gill

York, NE

#19 Sep 9, 2008
Okay, you're freaking me out now.
JJC

Lincoln, NE

#20 Sep 9, 2008
This is the problem with Auburn Ne,no one wants to make it better,I agree Auburn needs a new jail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stella Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
24 hour fitness Tue Snuffy 30
black ranger with Kansas tags in fc. Tue sneaky 1
Tigers Mon OldTiger 1
One of the safest! Mon Snuffy 4
best resturants in falls city area since 1960 (Oct '08) Mon wizzo55 45
Sociopath Feb 28 UH-OH 5
wiccans (Jan '07) Feb 27 brian wesker 431
Stella Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Stella People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:08 am PST

NBC Sports 9:08AM
Kendall Langford visiting the defensive tackle-less Lions today
Bleacher Report 9:28 AM
Kendall Langford: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Free-Agent DT
Bleacher Report 4:32 AM
Chiefs Final Free-Agency Outlook and Predictions
Bleacher Report 6:35 PM
Should NFL Teams Consider Steep Price of Justin Houston Trade?
NBC Sports 2:56 AM
Kendall Langford has Jets, Saints visits after Lions trip