Steger news by residents
lol

Homewood, IL

#9268 May 1, 2012
Jen G wrote:
<quoted text>Lifer, be careful. Although taking pictures of the kids seems like a good idea, you could be hit up for harassment by the parents. There is always some sort of legal loophole that crushes the good guys.
Pictures can also be used as evidence. I would take the picture. I definitely would NOT post it or publish the pictures anywhere but to show the police....
Typist

Chicago Heights, IL

#9269 May 1, 2012
Jen G wrote:
<quoted text>
Lifer, be careful. Although taking pictures of the kids seems like a good idea, you could be hit up for harassment by the parents. There is always some sort of legal loophole that crushes the good guys.
How on earth can it be harassment if it shows the kids standing in the middle of the street, literally? I'm not talking the side, I'm talking middle of the darn street. I actually was thinking about getting my camera out today after I finally did lean on the horn and no one moved, other than to turn around and look at me.

It is a matter of safety - as anyone who has driven their kids to school knows - some people are utter maniacs in their cars.
Bitter-Sweet

Schererville, IN

#9271 May 1, 2012
I use to be a cross guard when I was in 7th grade. Having the older kids involved in making sure the younger kids stayed on the side walk and cross the streets only when possible. It sounds like there should be more older kids involved in being cross walk guards. Kids would be able to get out of school early to go to their post, get a cool looking belt/badge to wear, and teach them responsibility.
Concerned in Steger

Schererville, IN

#9272 May 1, 2012
Bitter-Sweet wrote:
I use to be a cross guard when I was in 7th grade. Having the older kids involved in making sure the younger kids stayed on the side walk and cross the streets only when possible. It sounds like there should be more older kids involved in being cross walk guards. Kids would be able to get out of school early to go to their post, get a cool looking belt/badge to wear, and teach them responsibility.
That's a good idea. Let the kids police themselves.

I ran into this problem a few years ago in Park Forest when the Daley Displacements took over in force. It's infuriating to have these punk kids block the street from sidewalk to sidewalk and dare you to do anything about it. Not really much you can do about it except deluge city hall with complaints and hope they look into it.
funny

Quincy, IL

#9273 May 1, 2012
Lifer lookiing to leave wrote:
If you have a camera phone you could take a picture of them and then take it to the school. I'm sure someone at the school could identify them.
the school barely cares about the kids IN the school. you think they care once they leave the school?????????
on the boulevard

Chicago Heights, IL

#9274 May 1, 2012
jasons wrote:
Something seriously need to be done about the kids walking home from school. They are deliberately stopping traffic on the Boulevard then cussing people out when the say something. And they are also tearing up peoples yards. I think there seriously needs to be more patrols when they get out!!
I completely agree!!!!
We had to cut down 2 large branches on our tree because they like to swing around on in and such.. Sad because it took some of our beauty away, for no good reason..:(
But we certainty dont want a home ins. claim because these kids have no home training or respect.
jasons

United States

#9275 May 1, 2012
I don't need to take pictures. I work at one of the schools and I'm the crossing guard at Columbia. I know who these kids are and have reported them repeatedly to school and the police. And like on the boulevard said ... if there walking on the sidewalk they end up destroying peoples yards. This is crazy. they need to be dealt with strait up.

What they (police and or school) need to do is go sit back in someones driveway in a plane car and just watch. It happens EVERYDAY!
jeez

United States

#9277 May 2, 2012
Typist wrote:
<quoted text>
How on earth can it be harassment if it shows the kids standing in the middle of the street, literally? I'm not talking the side, I'm talking middle of the darn street. I actually was thinking about getting my camera out today after I finally did lean on the horn and no one moved, other than to turn around and look at me.
It is a matter of safety - as anyone who has driven their kids to school knows - some people are utter maniacs in their cars.
i was told specifically by the police to not take pictures of minors. my phone does have video capability and im not saying i would not take a video of it if i got an f u again.
Concerned in Steger

Crown Point, IN

#9278 May 2, 2012
Steger village ordinance;
Sec. 82-538.- Pedestrians walking on highways.

(a)
Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.

(b)
Where a sidewalk is not available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk only on a shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway.

(c)
Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of a roadway, and, if on a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.

(d)
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
casjuke

Chicago Heights, IL

#9279 May 3, 2012
Concerned in Steger wrote:
Steger village ordinance;
Sec. 82-538.- Pedestrians walking on highways.
(a)
Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway.
(b)
Where a sidewalk is not available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk only on a shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway.
(c)
Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of a roadway, and, if on a two-way roadway, shall walk only on the left side of the roadway.
(d)
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
How come the police can't or don't issue tickets around here ?
jeez

United States

#9280 May 3, 2012
casjuke wrote:
<quoted text>How come the police can't or don't issue tickets around here ?
exactly!!! it wont be stopped unless something is done about it.
Concerned in Steger

University Park, IL

#9281 May 3, 2012
...or when one of the board members or their families are inconvenienced or verbally attacked.
papaadoc

Chicago Heights, IL

#9283 May 3, 2012
Want to know how your taxing districts are doing? Go to the bottom of the page and click on taxing districts statements

http://www.cookcountypropertyinfo.com/Pages/P...

You'll need a cook county property tax pin number
Concerned in Steger

Hammond, IN

#9284 May 4, 2012
Police blotter from the STAR for 5/4/2012, now with a special sub-section(8) for the Colonies and another for travelling Stegerites;

HOME BURGLARY: Items were stolen April 24 from a house in the 3000 block of Florence Avenue.

VEHICLE BURGLARY: A vehicle was broken into April 25 in the 3700 block of Sangamon Street.

GRAFFITI: Graffiti was found April 24 on a wall at J Martin’s Tap, 81 E. 34th St.

GRAFFITI: Graffiti was found April 25 on a garage in the 3300 block of Butler Avenue.

SUSPENDED LICENSE: Detrik Cannon, 27, 250 W. Auburn Lane, Crete, was charged with driving on a suspended license and no insurance after a stop April 25 at 34th Street and Chicago Road, police said.

BROKEN WINDOWS: Windows were broken April 26 at a house in the 3200 block of Peoria Street and at a garage in the 3200 block of Sangamon Street.

EXPIRED LICENSE: Jared B. Peck, 21, 889 Dorsetshire, Crete, was charged with driving on an expired license after an April 28 stop in the first block of East 31st Place, police said.

DOMESTIC BATTERY: Steven M. Gaul, 27, 3501 Wallace Ave., Steger, was charged with domestic battery after an April 29 disturbance at his home, police said.

TRUCK BURGLARY: Tools were stolen April 30 from a truck in the 3700 block of Sangamon Street.

VEHICLE BURGLARY: Tools were stolen April 30 from a vehicle in the 3600 block of Peoria Street.

VEHICLE BURGLARY: Items were stolen May 2 from a vehicle parked in the 3500 block of Wallace Street.

Colonists;

COCAINE CHARGE: Latisha Roby, 43, 306 W. 34th St., Apt. 211, Steger, was charged with possession of cocaine and domestic battery after an April 28 incident at her home, police said.

WEAPON CHARGES: Jorge L. Barbosa, 22, 323 W. 35th St., Apt. 111, Steger, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, defacing identifying marks on a weapon, carrying a weapon without a permit and possession of marijuana after being arrested April 25 outside his home, police said.

Whooping it up outside of town.

South Chicago Heights;

DUI ARREST: Dana Lynum, 23, 3036 Butler Ave., Steger, was charged with drunken driving and improper lane use April 25 after a stop at Sauk Trail and Euclid Avenue, police said.

SUSPENDED LICENSE: Timothy Bounds, 39, 3000 Butler Ave., Steger, was charged with driving on a suspended license and running a stoplight after an April 26 stop at 28th Street and Chicago Road, police said.

Crete;

DUI ARREST: Joshua Rolek, 24, 3436 Chicago Road, Steger, was charged with drunken driving, driving on a suspended license and leaving the scene of an accident after he crashed into a telephone pole April 20 at First and Benton streets, police said.
Concerned in Steger

University Park, IL

#9285 May 4, 2012
Will County tax bill cometh.

And it went down $340 despite every taxing body raising their rate to a total of 9.5 from 8.75 from 2010. That's good news...for now, but doesn't bode well for the future if/when the housing market turns around.
Will Tax

Chicago, IL

#9286 May 5, 2012
My will county taxes were up $240, right in line with the % rate increase. My assessment did not go down.
papaadoc

Chicago Heights, IL

#9287 May 5, 2012
Assessment down, tax rate up, bill down $15.00
mjb

Chicago Heights, IL

#9288 May 5, 2012
my Will county bill went up $94.00 with senior freeze.
diversion

Herriman, UT

#9289 May 5, 2012
Our Will tax went up $32.00 and assessment had gone down by $20,000. Curious how some folks had a smaller bill this time yet some didn't.
Bitter-Sweet

Hammond, IN

#9290 May 6, 2012
What about Glass in your recycling bin? I would think it would shatter and be a big mess. Allied Waste indicates in their brochure that they accept Glass to recycle. I'm opt to use my own judgment and toss Glass in the Trash for safety reasons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Public Moving and Storage 13 hr Israel 282
Ace Hardware coming soon? Sun Say Whaaaat 3
Who are you electing for Hazel Crest Mayor? Sun Frustrated 11
News State police, FBI digging at Joliet home in con... Feb 24 rick johnson 1
News Investigation of missing deputy leads to Joliet... Feb 23 Elliot Ness 1
Remembering Old Time Harvey (Mar '10) Feb 23 Old Harvey Girl 264
The Meadows Feb 23 Truth 1

Steger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance