ajm

Chicago Heights, IL

#9047 Mar 10, 2012
ActiveResident wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it was "just the era". It was the era when parents accepted the fact that their angels might not be good at everything, and didn't blame teachers/coaches for their darlings' "shortcomings"
Ive never had a child on any of the Steger teams.. Do they even have try-outs?

I remember waking up the day of Khoury league try-outs, knowing I was prepared to do my very best.. Also knowing that there was a chance I wouldnt be good enough and not get picked.. Even though I did well and ended up on a team, there where other try-outs for other sports teams that I didnt make.. Sure it hurt some, I was a kid.. But I moved on and it didnt crush my self-esteem in anyway.. Even to this day at 47 years old, I KNOW Im not the best at everything, but I am great at what I can do!!!
Concerned in Steger

Chicago, IL

#9048 Mar 10, 2012
ajm wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Concerned. I grew up in EP too!! Did you go to EPCHS? If so what year did you graduate??
(On topic) I was on EP's Khoury league and I agree they were very fair, maybe it was just the era??
I also was on our 'all star' team. I was no one 'special', we didn't 'know' anyone.. I played my heart out & kicked butt, that's why I was picked.. Thats how it should be!!!
Hi ajm,

I didn't live in EP, but in Oak Lawn/Hometown, my father just enjoyed Bleeker's because he also bowled there. I graduated from OLCHS in '67.

I couldn't agree with you more about 'playing your heart out'. In my LL years, we spent the entire day at the ball fields in pick-up games and 3-4 league games a week, at night. Our whole lives revolved around baseball. Of course, there weren't nearly the amount of alternative activities that kids have these days.

Preferential treatment, I guess, may have been applied in some cases but in the end, after the All Star team was chosen, the players themselves voted as to who would be the starters. When I was 12 I had grown cocky and quite full of myself and to my great surprise, not voted to start at catcher as I had been the previous year. Blindsided, I naturally felt dejected but rather than quitting or blaming others I worked harder, dropped the attitude and made sure that in the Pony league I would regain that starting spot. Which I did.

I can't remember ever thinking to complain to my father, a tough as nails Marine who fought all over the Pacific, about it.

Maybe times and people were different then.
Wow

Burbank, IL

#9049 Mar 10, 2012
Year the days of fairness are gone and politics are here Steger is so un far. It's all who you know
Funny

Burbank, IL

#9050 Mar 10, 2012
See Concerned If the kids voted it would be fair But Stegers Little League the board votes If the kids voted would be fair The kids vote for game ball out of 16 games my kid got it 9 times But when it came to All Stars No Go And as far as try outs None were never held !!!!
Bitter-Sweet

Munster, IN

#9051 Mar 10, 2012
I don't get it with Little League. In my day --- kids were not picked to be on the team --- they were all accepted. I was terrible at softball --- but I ended up being a pretty good score keeper. I don't think Steger would have any politics involved in their league, the game is for all participants to be active in some way.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9053 Mar 10, 2012
Bitter-Sweet wrote:
I don't get it with Little League. In my day --- kids were not picked to be on the team --- they were all accepted. I was terrible at softball --- but I ended up being a pretty good score keeper. I don't think Steger would have any politics involved in their league, the game is for all participants to be active in some way.
So you're saying that the all star team have 50+ kids on it?
yep yep

Park Forest, IL

#9054 Mar 10, 2012
Lifer looking to leave wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that the all star team have 50+ kids on it?
Yea right? Everyone cannot be on the team. Wow, lifer looking to leave i think you might be touched!
jasons

United States

#9055 Mar 10, 2012
Wow what a bunch of whiners. And most of u don't have a freekin clue. Sounds like most of you got a little mad at someone and wana hold a grudge. Get over it. If you got a problem get involved cuz if you aint there to change things and are just going to cower in this chat room and bitch that's your fault. I'm there and I wont give up and thing are changing and changing for the good!! As for ALL all star teams, they are all approved by the board after the 11 or 12 kids are picked from the 30 or 40 kids who are available to play. and im sick of hearing about all the coaches kids on the alstars. I know of plenty of coaches and board members whos kids aren't on all stars.

Some of you people bitch about what people aren't doing and now u wana pick apart a program that people bust there asses to keep going for ALL the kids in Steger. I think you just like to here yourselves talk is all, and you cant even bitch using your real name.
Concerned in Steger

Chicago, IL

#9056 Mar 10, 2012
A little late with this but here's the police blotter from the Southtown Star for 3/7/2012;

VANDALISM: A garage in an alley in the 3100 block of Butler Street was vandalized March 2.

SUSPENDED LICENSE: Paris Cagley, 25, 420 W. 34th St., Steger, was charged with driving on a suspended license, no insurance and no rear plate light after a March 2 stop at Steger and Richton roads, police said.

DAMAGED DOOR: A man forced an apartment door open and then was scared off by residents March 2 in the 3400 block of Chicago Road.

DOMESTIC BATTERY: Mark A. Pallanti, 48, 617 Sangamon St., Chicago Heights, was charged with domestic battery and was arrested on a Cook County warrant after a March 3 incident in the 3100 block of Loverock Avenue, police said.

REVOKED LICENSE: Toney Johnson, 48, of Chicago, was charged with driving on a revoked license, no insurance and having expired registration after a stop March 3 at 34th and Wallace streets, police said.

WARRANT ARREST: Tobias N. Zimmerman, 18, 3022 Halsted St., Steger, was arrested March 5 on a Cook County warrant in the 3500 block of Chicago Road, police said.
Steger911

Park Forest, IL

#9057 Mar 11, 2012
Is that beaner Martinez from the Fire Dept. gone yet? He was like the weather man, always wrong and never right on anything and got to keep his job for years. If you dont know what your doing atleast try to look good doing nothing. The roster over at the Steger Fire Dept. looks like the line up of a bowling team for the "special" peoples league. And i mean everybody.Who is the next chief anyway? If its Roesner, that kid is ok and might just have a chance on salvaging whats left of a shell of a dept. But to do that he would need to completely overhaul the dept. Dont see that kid doing that so it may be another sad year for the dept. in the horizon. Way to go Steger village board. Steger despirately needs someone that is hard but fair. Nobody matches that description here. Some people need to get fixed so they cannot contaminate the future generations by reproducing scum bags! There will be more to come.
yep yep

Park Forest, IL

#9058 Mar 11, 2012
jasons wrote:
Wow what a bunch of whiners. And most of u don't have a freekin clue. Sounds like most of you got a little mad at someone and wana hold a grudge. Get over it. If you got a problem get involved cuz if you aint there to change things and are just going to cower in this chat room and bitch that's your fault. I'm there and I wont give up and thing are changing and changing for the good!! As for ALL all star teams, they are all approved by the board after the 11 or 12 kids are picked from the 30 or 40 kids who are available to play. and im sick of hearing about all the coaches kids on the alstars. I know of plenty of coaches and board members whos kids aren't on all stars.
Some of you people bitch about what people aren't doing and now u wana pick apart a program that people bust there asses to keep going for ALL the kids in Steger. I think you just like to here yourselves talk is all, and you cant even bitch using your real name.
Hey dude, i doubt your real name is Jasons. So your in the same boat as all of us my friend. Your just not wearing the same colors, but your in the boat.
michael d

Park Forest, IL

#9059 Mar 11, 2012
his name really is Jason S
I know who he is and know him to be talking the truth.
yep yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dude, i doubt your real name is Jasons. So your in the same boat as all of us my friend. Your just not wearing the same colors, but your in the boat.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#9060 Mar 11, 2012
Off topic, but did you read the article today in the Southtown about Sauk Village putting a referendum on the March ballot about getting Lake Michigan water? Apparently the first step would be to spend $20 million on infrastructure, which is estimated to cost each household $73 A MONTH until it's completed in 2016. I have to assume that that $75 a month would probably then stay as the increase in water rates, but I don't know that.
papaadoc

Chicago Heights, IL

#9062 Mar 11, 2012
ActiveResident wrote:
Off topic, but did you read the article today in the Southtown about Sauk Village putting a referendum on the March ballot about getting Lake Michigan water? Apparently the first step would be to spend $20 million on infrastructure, which is estimated to cost each household $73 A MONTH until it's completed in 2016. I have to assume that that $75 a month would probably then stay as the increase in water rates, but I don't know that.
The water quality could be improved in Steger with one simple and cheap procedure. Ever drive through Crete and see them flushing the hydrants? They do it on a regular basis and they flush them thoroughly. When is the last time anyone saw the hydrants flushed in Steger? I don't mean in the winter. How about last summer, or the summer before that?
If you have bad water, go to the village board meetings and complain. Tell them that you can't remember the last time you saw hydrants flushed in your area.
The only area that I'm aware of that is not looped is the Durham drive area and even that would improve with regular flushing. The one fund in the village that is not low on cash is the water fund.
And yes I did go to the board and complain about this, but I am one person. How many of you will also go?
jasons

United States

#9063 Mar 11, 2012
yep yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes my name is Jason S. and you can find me at any L. L. functions. Just come ask for me and anyone will tell you who I am!
water

Chicago, IL

#9064 Mar 11, 2012
papaadoc wrote:
<quoted text>
The water quality could be improved in Steger with one simple and cheap procedure. Ever drive through Crete and see them flushing the hydrants? They do it on a regular basis and they flush them thoroughly. When is the last time anyone saw the hydrants flushed in Steger? I don't mean in the winter. How about last summer, or the summer before that?
If you have bad water, go to the village board meetings and complain. Tell them that you can't remember the last time you saw hydrants flushed in your area.
The only area that I'm aware of that is not looped is the Durham drive area and even that would improve with regular flushing. The one fund in the village that is not low on cash is the water fund.
And yes I did go to the board and complain about this, but I am one person. How many of you will also go?
My Aunt lives in Monee and every time they flush hydrants the water gets worse for a day or two. It then goes back to the way it was.
So all I am is it could make it worse for a day or two them back to normal.
And on the point of going and doing what Sauk Village is doing,$73 ( or more) a month is just to re-due the pipes not the cost they would get from other towns along the way. So its $73 plus. I will stick with my whole house system and under sink system. It works just fine and is paid for. Now it only cost me $100-$150 a YEAR to maintain for salt and filters.
Racist

Chicago, IL

#9065 Mar 11, 2012
Steger911 wrote:
Is that beaner Martinez from the Fire Dept. gone yet? He was like the weather man, always wrong and never right on anything and got to keep his job for years. If you dont know what your doing atleast try to look good doing nothing. The roster over at the Steger Fire Dept. looks like the line up of a bowling team for the "special" peoples league. And i mean everybody.Who is the next chief anyway? If its Roesner, that kid is ok and might just have a chance on salvaging whats left of a shell of a dept. But to do that he would need to completely overhaul the dept. Dont see that kid doing that so it may be another sad year for the dept. in the horizon. Way to go Steger village board. Steger despirately needs someone that is hard but fair. Nobody matches that description here. Some people need to get fixed so they cannot contaminate the future generations by reproducing scum bags! There will be more to .come.
Calling people beaners is racist and I hope more people are with me when I say sighting racial slits makes me not listen to a work you say.
Then you made it worse with your "special" peoples comment.
All I can say to that is U R IGNORANT.
Racist

Chicago, IL

#9066 Mar 11, 2012
Slurs not slits, sorry
Auto correct is fun.

Location hidden

#9067 Mar 11, 2012
yep yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea right? Everyone cannot be on the team. Wow, lifer looking to leave i think you might be touched!
My comment was sarcasm as that is basically what she was saying. I would never sugest that there is a spot on the All Start team for everyone. When I made it I was happy, when I didn't...hey I found something else to do. I made it and my dad didn't coach and I wasn't best friends with any coaches kids.

Location hidden

#9068 Mar 11, 2012
All Star not All Start.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Teton Mountains (Jan '11) 2 hr bob 2
Review; Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club (Jul '14) 2 hr God 23
Jeffrey Hon. 9 hr concern cirizen 1
Sex-class teacher on leave (Mar '07) 10 hr Travbo0980 6
Jeffrey Hon. dept head. 17 hr concern cirizen 1
Why Kurtz? A for profit company (Jul '14) 22 hr Anonymous 16
Papa's Pizza Closing After 40 Years in Business (Jun '12) Tue papas pizza 31
Steger Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web