Steger news by residents
Bitter-Sweet

Hammond, IN

#8660 Jan 27, 2012
Suggestion: Have all residents of Steger (when they buy their Village sticker) provide their complete name, address, phone number and e-mail address for the Village.

Then put this information into a database with the e-mail address so that the Village and Police can notify area residents when the time arises.

An example would be to notify the area residents when the water has to be shut off; or when an area tree is being cut down; or to notify residents of possible tornados in the area, or other emergencies, etc.

I think area residents would appreciate being notified of these household emergencies in advance than being surprised.
Bitter-Sweet

Hammond, IN

#8661 Jan 27, 2012
Suggestion: For the Village of Steger to sell brochures and books that pertain to the Village.

An example could be: Emergency Procedures, Cook Book from Village Employees, Area Apartment Brochures, Shopping Vendors and Employment Opportunities.

Also have a “care package” or “list” of area services provided to help the homeless. Lastly, the Village should have the Fire Department and Paramedics create a brochure on things to know for all residents to protect themselves from fire and/or emergencies.

I believe that if you sell these brochures on display at the Secretaries Desk at the Village it could help all residents new and old.
leary

Homewood, IL

#8662 Jan 27, 2012
James Crowe wrote:
Steger School failed to keep my child safe today, january 27, 2012
At approxiamtely 10:30am my son, 5 year old in kindergarten at Eastview School. Walked into our home unattended, no coat no backpack. Hi, Daddy i am home. he said happlily. To say the least i was schocked. I asked him how he got here, why was here, whetehr someone gave him a ride or not. He walked home from school. Prior to this a resident saw him running down the street and called the police.(I thank you, for beening vigilent and calling the police.)
I called the school and asked if they were missing a student. i was told no, and i said that is funny because my son is standing right here. I then was placed on hold. I also called 10 minutes after he arrived home, after making sure he was okay. The principal then was on the phone with me. I said I was bring him back to school.That we will discuss this further when I gedt there.
I will say the principal was genuinely concrened. What we had gathered at the time was that my son had left because the class was told they were ending his P.E. time because they were be too loud and that they had to leave. So he took this quite literally and left. I live just over if not 1/2 mile away and my son crossed Steger rd. unattended. thankfully making it to my house safely on his own accord. The problem is he wernt thtough the main doors of the building.
THe Superintendent of the school said ther will be a investigation. I am now told by steger polive that my son ws hiding, and was found and left the school after being found hiding in school. I was alos told they were well aware of him being lost and the school was getting ready to be placed under lockdown when I callled to tell them i had him at home.
I did tell the teachers at the end of the day, i was disspleased about my son getting away from the school and i did strongly voice my opinion about the enitre situation.
My son was punished with a grounding over this weekend for coming home from school. It will be continually stressed he can not just leave school, or cross a road on his own.
Opinion side:
I am very disspleased by the actions of the school. I fell they are now trying cover up their mistake. When I called and asked if they were missing a student and was told no, to well we were looking for him and about to put the school on lockdown as they told the police. My son should not of made it out the front door of the school unnoticed. No excuses nothing more than that.
How to fix:
Well first dont let students go outside unattended. Second perhaps put a alarm on the door that beeps if opened. that way it would be known when some one leaves that should not leave.
That is very frightening and appalling, they certainly are trying to cover up their major mistake it is so fortunate that your child is ok. What ever happened to head counts when dealing with children?
Christie Ebert

University Park, IL

#8663 Jan 27, 2012
Omg Jim I am glad he is ok. That is unreal.
hold up

Tomball, TX

#8664 Jan 28, 2012
What happened with this kid is awful an unacceptable, but why immediately cry cover up? Were any of you there? This sounds more like an office worker not knowing what was going on then an elaborate scheme. At that school there has been a revolving office staff lately and it's not a stretch to say. And even if she did know, why would she release that information to someone just calling and asking unless they identified themself? Say what you will about the politics involved in the schools, but at the end of the day I truly don't believe that they are apathetic about the safety of the students. Also how can you cover it up?! The kid walked home. Everyone knows it. It was a bad incident that should have never happened, but nothing more sinister than that. The gym teacher and the classroom teacher should have been more vigilant DEFINITELY. And as for Mr. Crowe's suggestion that students not be allowed outside unsupervised. They aren't. No one left the kid unsupervised outside, he walked out. I have a five year old, and she would never leave school unattended or cross the street alone because she knows that would be bad.
hold up

Tomball, TX

#8665 Jan 28, 2012
& my point is not to place blame of justify the actions of the school. I just think that people on here are too quick to cry foul & talk negatively about people who work for the school. Superintendent said there would be an investigation, right? Let's see what that says before we cry cover up.
Inadequate Supervision

Homewood, IL

#8666 Jan 28, 2012
Hold up why are you blaming the child in the end?
The child was obviously not supervised well enough that he made it home. This is a adult failure do not blame the kid. If it was a parent who lost their child like this the parent would be in jail.
hold up

Tomball, TX

#8667 Jan 28, 2012
If you read either of my two posts, I'm not. All I said was that the kids are not ALLOWED outside unsupervised, and at 5 years old, my daughter knows that. Obviously the school is at fault here, I just don't buy the conspiracy theory.
James Crowe

Homewood, IL

#8668 Jan 28, 2012
I was not planning on jumping in at all after my initial post. My son does know, at least has been told that he does no go outside on his own. That he never goes out on the street. He does have some special needs that he will do things with out thinking about them.

You think that people should not cry foul when a child leaves the school and they dont know about it. Hell yes, if it was any child mine or anyone else's child, you cry foul. They failed to do their job no matter what. I will contact the superintendent on monday. I will be at the next school board meeting too.
Wow

Park Forest, IL

#8669 Jan 28, 2012
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE IS A COVER UP OR NOT. The school is trying to make themselves not look as guilty as they are.

For you to say your daughter would never do that, good for her. All children are different and have minds of their own. The child was told to leave and he did.

DO NOT BLAME THE CHILD! IT IS THE SCHOOLS FAULT, HE SHOULD NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET THROUGH THE DOORS WITH NO ONE NOTICING.
Angela

Chicago, IL

#8670 Jan 28, 2012
I work at the school & sadly this is the first im hearing about this!!! No one came in our class to see if there was a child that didnt belong or if we had even seen the child. I truely believe that they are trying to cover there butts, not only do I work in that school but my children go to another school in the district & I have had nothing but problems since they started! Im glad your child is ok & im sorry that you had to go threw that....I can only imagine how u feel.
Fix

United States

#8671 Jan 28, 2012
I agree with James A alarm on the door would be great idea And even maybe some cameras So at least they could have looked at video and seen where he went
hold up

Tomball, TX

#8672 Jan 28, 2012
For the last time, I am not blaming the kid. The "cry foul" that I am referring to is in regards to a cover up. Let's see what happens & what action is taken before we assume that is happening. Obviously it is "foul" that this happened and someone needs to be held responsible. I agree, alarms on the doors could be a really good idea.
Really

Chicago Heights, IL

#8673 Jan 28, 2012
I have to agree with hold ups post! Kids are not left unsupervised when outside or in side. I too have herd this story first hand and know this child hid the first time and was found then as they walked down the hall hid again and ran out. No it is not the kids fault and yes somthing should be done! But, to blame the teachers for everything is wrong! They did begin to look for him, but they started in the school.. He could have went to the bathroom or sayed in the gym the situation was addressed right away. No one suspected this child ran out. And if you work at this school and have nothing but probablems maybe you should get involved more because there is a GREAT board that cares alot about these kids that if you felt there are issues you should be professional enough to talk to them first and not post your unidentified your options in hard times.This school has hundreds of kids that go home safe everyday including a echo and speed satellite and this has never happened. I would like to add that after this situation the kid ran out of the room 2 more times and had to be watched one on one. One thing many of you should keep in mind is that there are on average 20 kids per room and that the educators do their best to provide a safe learning enviorment but, they are not alone there are at least 5 aides and 10 parent volunteers everyday with at a min 10 other staff members ( not including speed) if a child is missing they do their job but, if a child is playing hide and seek and runs straight outside there was not time for a lock down or anything. This could happen anywhere at any school. But remember putting down the teachers and not looking at the situation as a whole is wrong. Thankfully this kid is ok and this can be fixed. But, why don't anyone post about the good this school has done only the bad. The principle works one on one with kids everyday to motivate them. The food drives the book drives, the activities and time that is put in to helping hundreds of kids and let me tell you alot of these parents are not involved some of these kids come to school without coats and yet the school helps. I am proud of district 194 and am happy my son goes there. And if this was my son I would have been there when it happened not dropped him back off at school then blow up after school hours later. These are great people who do a job that most wouldent ! This was clearly an accident to discredit the school or teachers is wrong
Jennifer Tinley Park

Calumet City, IL

#8674 Jan 28, 2012
Wow wrote:
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THERE IS A COVER UP OR NOT. The school is trying to make themselves not look as guilty as they are.
For you to say your daughter would never do that, good for her. All children are different and have minds of their own. The child was told to leave and he did.
DO NOT BLAME THE CHILD! IT IS THE SCHOOLS FAULT, HE SHOULD NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET THROUGH THE DOORS WITH NO ONE NOTICING.
Just to let everyone know, the child is NOT a special needs child.
leary

Homewood, IL

#8676 Jan 28, 2012
This should not happen with any kindergartner EVER! However, accidents do happen and am sure it was unintentional, but what if this father wasn't home that day, where would this child have gone at this point? The youngest children should be watched closer as they are still learning about safety too. My children are out of school at this point but truly had good experiences at the Steger schools through the years, hope they continue to stay good and learn from their mistake.
Jennifer Tinley Park

Calumet City, IL

#8677 Jan 28, 2012
Really wrote:
I have to agree with hold ups post! Kids are not left unsupervised when outside or in side. I too have herd this story first hand and know this child hid the first time and was found then as they walked down the hall hid again and ran out. No it is not the kids fault and yes somthing should be done! But, to blame the teachers for everything is wrong! They did begin to look for him, but they started in the school.. He could have went to the bathroom or sayed in the gym the situation was addressed right away. No one suspected this child ran out. And if you work at this school and have nothing but probablems maybe you should get involved more because there is a GREAT board that cares alot about these kids that if you felt there are issues you should be professional enough to talk to them first and not post your unidentified your options in hard times.This school has hundreds of kids that go home safe everyday including a echo and speed satellite and this has never happened. I would like to add that after this situation the kid ran out of the room 2 more times and had to be watched one on one. One thing many of you should keep in mind is that there are on average 20 kids per room and that the educators do their best to provide a safe learning enviorment but, they are not alone there are at least 5 aides and 10 parent volunteers everyday with at a min 10 other staff members ( not including speed) if a child is missing they do their job but, if a child is playing hide and seek and runs straight outside there was not time for a lock down or anything. This could happen anywhere at any
school. But remember putting down the teachers and not looking at the situation as a whole is wrong. Thankfully this kid is ok and this can be fixed. But, why don't anyone post about the good this school has done only the bad. The principle works one on one with kids everyday to motivate them. The food drives the book drives, the activities and time that is put in to helping hundreds of kids and let me tell you alot of these parents

are not involved some of these kids come to school without coats and yet the school helps. I am proud of district 194 and am happy my son goes there. And if this was my son I would have been there when it happened not dropped him back off at school then blow up after school hours later. These are great people who do a job that most wouldent ! This was clearly an accident to discredit the school or teachers is wrong
I agree with this. If the father was so concerned he should of stayed at the school after dropping his son off and try to resolve this ever happening again. The school works very hard ti better the children of Steger. Children going to school with no coat, no gloves, no breakfast. With the student council collecting donations of coats and gloves your children that go without, Eastview School provides for them. Instead of the father complaining to his computer, he should be working with the school and with the superintendent, along with the community, to come up with a solution so this doesn't happen again
Wow

Portage, MI

#8678 Jan 28, 2012
Jennifer Tinley Park wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to let everyone know, the child is NOT a special needs child.
How do you know?
Really

Chicago Heights, IL

#8679 Jan 28, 2012
Thank you because I am so tired of hearing how bad this school is or what if this happened or what if that happened? What happened is a child hid from teachers as they walked down the hall and ran straight out the building leaving little time for anyone to notice and act. THANK GOD he is ok!!! Now let's fix it ..!! And keep in mind that people There do care ALOT and want the best for these kids! To cry cover up and put down these educators instead to spreading the truth about this that it could happen anywhere and give options about different options they just put down the teachers. That's the easy way out! Like I said the best thing is the boy is safe! No cover up but, it's still not ok so we now have to do somthing and some of us will try to as the others sit and complain about people who are trying to help but not doing a good enough job
Negligent

Olympia Fields, IL

#8680 Jan 28, 2012
Really, obviously you have more information than most about this incident. If what you say is true he was hiding, etc. When the father called why did they tell him that no one was missing? Shouldn't they have immediately told him yes we can't find your son. That is not what they told him. They said no one was missing initially. He brought him back to school right away because his child belongs back at school. He tried to be calm about the incident because he felt handling it any other way would be wrong. What happened when he brought his son back to school and the story you are telling (which I don't believe for one minute)came out are way different.Many of his peers told him he should not be so calm about this. He should have blown up when he returned his child to school instead of waiting til after school, He should have gotten the media and the police involved immediately too. But he didn't. Who cares how the father reacted? Bottom line the school was negligent when they lost his son and weren't upfront about it. Stop blaming the child he is not to blame. Give me a break. In my opinion... Someone should be fired for this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review; Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club (Jul '14) 3 hr Dam 39
fbi visits crete village hall (Mar '15) Wed Time to move 5
News Man charged with robbing Calumet City bank Apr 13 Skip 2
Old lady Steger cop Apr 13 Fred 9
Most unethical Steger Police Officer Apr 6 Longtimeresident 1
Pets and vaccines Apr 3 Goose263 1
3600 Green St. Neighborhood (Jun '09) Mar 30 Jim dunn 7

Steger Jobs

Personal Finance

Steger Mortgages