stgrIL

Homewood, IL

#4943 Sep 18, 2010
Going over my water bill, i noticed an increase in the sewer from 5.00 to 20.00
you know who

University Park, IL

#4944 Sep 18, 2010
no one said it was only a teen center...
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't Another Hole in the wall supposed to be a "TEEN" center???? What kind of example are we showing our teens by allowing them to sell alcohol there??
Concerned in Steger

Chicago, IL

#4945 Sep 18, 2010
stgrIL wrote:
Going over my water bill, i noticed an increase in the sewer from 5.00 to 20.00
That's old news. My bill from July had it. It's Thorn Creek Sanitary who upped their price and has been passed on to the lucky residents of Steger and the other towns who use them.
concerned

Chicago Heights, IL

#4946 Sep 18, 2010
you know who wrote:
no one said it was only a teen center...
<quoted text>
if i'm not mistaken, they have TEEN bands playing and they have TEENagers working the concessions and such, therefore, that sort of makes it a TEEN center.....not saying it is only a TEEN center, but how are they going to distinguish between TEEN-stuff and over21-stuff. Let's keep the two separated. There are enough places in Steger for over-21 people to attend live bands and sports, for example, Martin's Tap has a great open ban night and JoltNJoe's has bands and both have plenty of tv's for sports. How many places in little Steger do we need that sells alcohol for adults???!?!?!?!
just tryingtohelp

Chicago Heights, IL

#4947 Sep 18, 2010
Trustee Peterson made a motion to approve a temporary Ninety (90) Day Business
License for Another Hole in the Wall at 3236 Union Avenue, pending inspections.
Trustee Honea seconded the motion. Trustee Honea asked the representative of
Another Hole in the Wall to step forward to address concerns of the Board. Don
Miller replied to the Board’s questions. Mr. Miller agreed to provide the Village with a
schedule of activities to be conducted at Another Hole in the Wall, including teen
activities and auctions for businesses and residents. Trustee Honea suggested that
youth activities be restricted by age&#894; 1012
year olds and other activities for those 1317
years of age. Trustee Honea informed Mr. Miller that no food may be prepared on
premises without a Cook County Health Inspection. Mr. Miller assured the Board that
security will be provided and certified security people will be used.
Trustee Honea requested that Code Enforcement Officer Edward Myers deliver his
report on Another Hole in the Wall’s facility. Myers stated that based on square
footage, the building’s maximum occupancy is 125 people. Myers also reported that
according to the Illinois State Fire Marshall’s office, a sprinkler system will not be
required, but an alarm system will be necessary. The alarm system must include a
fire alarm, smoke detectors and must be tied directly to the Police Department.
Myers stated that he spoke to the Building Department in Melrose Park and it was
confirmed that no violations were recorded for Don Miller and the teen club that he
operated there. The Village’s Electrical Inspector was at the facility and found a few
violations that are being addressed. Myers was told by Another Hole in the Wall’s
owner that a $1,000,000.00 insurance policy is in place. A double door has been
added to the building to provide for more efficient egress in emergencies. Myers
concluded saying that based on egress and fire concerns, the business meets all
requirements. After discussion, roll was called and the following Trustees voted aye:
Banicki, Seehausen, Kozy, Lopez, Peterson and Honea. President Sherman voted
aye. Motion carried.
These are notes from the the June 15, 2009 meeting.......sounds like a TEEN CENTER to me......unless the Trustees are gonna by-pass their own approvals.
ccc

Chicago Heights, IL

#4948 Sep 18, 2010
Concerned in Steger wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of business at the next board meeting. Of particular interest to me is the "branch and leaf" pickup discussion.
I certainly hope they can modify the present rule to allow 3-4 pickups per year. Has anyone else noticed how many branches are sitting in front of homes awaiting removal that never comes.
those 2 new trustees that promised change fully backed getting rid of leaf pickup. just saying.
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#4949 Sep 18, 2010
ccc wrote:
<quoted text>
those 2 new trustees that promised change fully backed getting rid of leaf pickup. just saying.
That's because the village was broke when they were elected. Their change is to stop spending money we don't have. What happens if you do that at your house? Pretty soon you don't have a house.

To further that thought, why do you suppose that it is being brought up again at this meeting? I'll give you a hint, APRIL
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#4950 Sep 18, 2010
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't Another Hole in the wall supposed to be a "TEEN" center???? What kind of example are we showing our teens by allowing them to sell alcohol there??
The June license was a temporary license for a one time event. This one is permanent.

K-Mart is also on the agenda for one to sell packaged products.
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#4951 Sep 18, 2010
RE:
Ratification of the August 25th poll regarding the request of Another Hole in the Wall for a zoning variance from B2 to B2B to allow for sale of Beer and Wine consumption on premises with Entertainment.

Ratification of August 25th poll regarding the approval of Ordinance No.8048 to allow for a liquor license Beer and Wine consumption on premises with entertainment for Another Hole in the Wall.

I thought phone polls for the board were only to be used in emergency situations and things that were not, should take place at a open meeting. I guess I was wrong.

Since: Jan 08

Steger, IL

#4953 Sep 18, 2010
So many topics to comment on

1) papaadoc, not sure I buy that reasoning that you gave to ccc (re: new trustees)- but if they cared about spending - why were they conspicuously silent on the "no pay for trustees" thing I brought up? Only Peterson and Honea weighed in on it - complete silence from everyone else. Where was the "don't spend" then? Also, they were pro-Steger Day spending (which I agree with)- but why not stop that spending? They also voted yes on the Attorney's raise - why not stop that spending? So, there are 3 cases that they didn't mind spending money. I'm not saying they were right or wrong, I'm not in their shoes - but the "stop spending" justification doesn't seem to work.

2) Personally, I don't like giving K-Mart a liquor license,(I also don't like it being 24 hours). I think we have enough places in town to buy packaged liquor - why add 1 more? But that's merely a personal opinion, and I have no solid "business" reason for it

3) Another Hole In The Wall. I don't mind if they want to become a concert hall - and sell alcohol. But I do feel they need to separate the events to 21+ and under 21 - and only sell during 21+. Not sure if that has already been taken into consideration. But, at the same time, I can go to any Chicago concert venue with no age restrictions and they sell alcohol - and they card. So, I guess I'm not against their request. They just need to make sure they are carding. Again, personal opinion, no "business" reason for that opinion.

4) Live bands in Steger. As much as I do like Martin's and have seen bands at Community and JoltNJoes - I do think a "concert hall" setting would be cool - and would allowe minors to see bands - which bars do not.

I think there was something else, but I forget what it is.

Hey, I gotta chime in now, so people know where I stand come April!
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#4954 Sep 18, 2010
RE:
1) papaadoc, not sure I buy that reasoning that you gave to ccc (re: new trustees)- but if they cared about spending - why were they conspicuously silent on the "no pay for trustees" thing I brought up? Only Peterson and Honea weighed in on it - complete silence from everyone else. Where was the "don't spend" then? Also, they were pro-Steger Day spending (which I agree with)- but why not stop that spending? They also voted yes on the Attorney's raise - why not stop that spending? So, there are 3 cases that they didn't mind spending money. I'm not saying they were right or wrong, I'm not in their shoes - but the "stop spending" justification doesn't seem to work.

You're beating a dead horse with the pay thing. No one cares. Some years ago, four board members gave thier pay back to the village and four didn't. Do I need to remind you of who got re-elected.

As to Steger Day, the motion was to not exceed $6,000. Attend Monday's meeting and see what it cost the village. I have heard she has one check yet to come, and if it does the cost to the village will be zero.

As to the attorneys fees, he claimed to have a contract. You'll have to ask them if he in fact did.

We now have 4 board members who are watching the spending closer than it has been watched in years.

Have you asked what has been cut other than the branches and leaves? How much has each department cut? I think you would be surprised to see which ones have, and which ones have not, and which trustee is in charge of those departments.
you know who

University Park, IL

#4955 Sep 19, 2010
yes they have had teen bands
but also over 21 bands too

whats the difference of how many
and why should it ok for only some to sell to over 21 and some not
competition is good

I am sure they arent going to risk selling alcohol to a 16 yr old
they would get in big trouble not just with steger but with the state...

I never heard that matins tap ever had bands....why dont they tell more than the regulars?
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
if i'm not mistaken, they have TEEN bands playing and they have TEENagers working the concessions and such, therefore, that sort of makes it a TEEN center.....not saying it is only a TEEN center, but how are they going to distinguish between TEEN-stuff and over21-stuff. Let's keep the two separated. There are enough places in Steger for over-21 people to attend live bands and sports, for example, Martin's Tap has a great open ban night and JoltNJoe's has bands and both have plenty of tv's for sports. How many places in little Steger do we need that sells alcohol for adults???!?!?!?!
Harley

Homewood, IL

#4956 Sep 19, 2010
watcher wrote:
I heard Crete Harley is going to close, anyone know about this?
Wow, not a single comment. Yes, they are closing mid-October! All those people complaining about wanting new shops on 394/Steger corners and the ones that are there can't even survive!

Steger, IL

#4957 Sep 19, 2010
Oh, I always knew the "pay" thing was a dead horse from the start. The outcome of that did not surprise me at all. What did surprise me is that only 2 were even willing to comment/respond in the positive or negative.

Regarding Steger Days - I am going on record, I am very proud that Trustee Honea was able to pull it off with no village dollars. She deserves major kudos for that. We have enough businesses and residents in town, that all of the activities could be done purely on donation - in my opinion.(for the reocrd : activities mean Steger Days, OktoberFest, Xmas Trees, Dixie Dash, etc - it does not mean standard village activities like police, public works etc)

Also, I agree with "you know who" - a little competition is good! And you a right, they aren't going to risk the consequences of selling to a minor.
Concerned in Steger

Chicago, IL

#4958 Sep 19, 2010
Harley wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, not a single comment. Yes, they are closing mid-October! All those people complaining about wanting new shops on 394/Steger corners and the ones that are there can't even survive!
I went by there last weekend and it looked that they were having some kind of outside party.

It's too bad about them closing but $18000 motorcycles are a luxury and many people have stopped buying them. I don't think that when they moved in there that they expected Crete/Steger to be the focus of their business.

Steger, IL

#4959 Sep 19, 2010
I hate it when I hit "post" and realize I didn't get my point across.

My point was that anybody (not just the 2 trustees I was referring to)- claims to be watching spending - it's hard to believe that motivation -

when they agree to spend money on a party (steger days)

when they agree to spend money on themselves (pay)

but DISAGREE to spend money on the actual citizens (public services, leaf/branch, dept cuts, etc)

and that applies to anybody who voted along those lines.
watcher

Homewood, IL

#4960 Sep 19, 2010
Harley wrote:
<quoted text>
Harley, Thanks for the info,so it looks like the Harley site will end up like the auto spa, also heard Kohl's may be next.

Steger, IL

#4961 Sep 19, 2010
watcher wrote:
<quoted text> Harley, Thanks for the info,so it looks like the Harley site will end up like the auto spa, also heard Kohl's may be next.
I heard something like that about Kohl's too - that they were leaving when their agreement/lease (or something) expires because certain things they expected didn't happen? But I only heard it as a rumor from someone who is not "in-the-know".

Curious - what did you hear about Kohl's?
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#4962 Sep 19, 2010
Harley wrote:
<quoted text>
It was just a rumor until today. Full Page ad in today's Southtown Star, says that Harley Davidson of Crete, is closing the doors for good on October 15, 2010 due to retirement.
Page 54
hahahaha

Quincy, IL

#4963 Sep 19, 2010
Well lets see, Harley Davidson is right next to lincolnshire, which its 3 top businesses are harolds chicken and the 2 mini marts in 1 strip mall.... suprised? Im not.. R.I.P. south suburbs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tinley Park Ambulance Service 10 hr Res 3
Calumet City in the 60's & 70's (Feb '10) 10 hr Kurt 73
Jeffrey Hon. Sun Cherie 2
Jeff Hon. Dept head. Sun Cherie 2
Jeffrey Hon. dept head. Sun Cherie 2
Olympia Fields Today (Jun '13) Sun Dave Antonetti 14
Sauk Village 1962 unsolved Murder (Jan '09) Sat jhorton 19
More from around the web

Steger People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE