Steger news by residents
Kind of a cat person

United States

#4709 Aug 5, 2010
another lost cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Im close, but this lil one wont come near us either.
That's a shame. The one I found let me hold it. At first I didn't think it had any claws, so that's why I took it in. I figured that for as sweet as it was, it had to be a house cat. Then it scratched me trying to get out of the make-shift box I had (not being mean, just being a cat.) I felt better knowing it had it's claws, after it ran off.

I can't believe how many stray dogs and cats I have seen in Steger. It's such a shame.
papaadoc

Evanston, IL

#4710 Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone know anything about Shadow Hills Ranch Social Club in Steger. Is this new?
Here is a link to the page
http://www.shadowhillsranch.com/index.html

I never heard about this. Anyone else?
greenacres1964

United States

#4711 Aug 6, 2010
papaadoc wrote:
Does anyone know anything about Shadow Hills Ranch Social Club in Steger. Is this new?
WOW!! That explains all the work, tree cutting, etc. that has been going on there.
This property is actually unincorporated Miller Woods. I believe it is zoned resaidential, so how can they be doing this? Liquor license? Business license?
The humane society has been there on occasion the last two years for horses getting out, being under fed, etc.

Let's see if anyone else has any info.
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#4712 Aug 6, 2010
papaadoc wrote:
Sounds and looks nice....years ago, social club used to be a meeting place for goodfellas...LOL...
Another Hole in the Wall

United States

#4713 Aug 7, 2010
Another Hole in the Wall
3236 Union Ave
Steger IL.60475
Consignment Auction Today
August 7,2010
1:00pm
Antiques Collectibles, Household items and much much more
Come Check it out

Since: Jan 08

Steger, IL

#4714 Aug 7, 2010
papaadoc wrote:
I never heard of it either - but it looks nice. This is precisely the type of stuff Steger needs. Something to make Steger a destination for people.

Once here, they will shop here. Which is why Steger really needs to get that land by I-394!! So we can have businesses for people coming/going in and out of Steger. I know the economy has slowed things, but IF the 3rd airport happens, WHEN Balmoral gets bigger, IF the Illiana Expressway is built - then I-394/Steger Road and all that unincorporated land will be very good to have and develop!

Anyhow, it's good to see a "destination" business in town. Those are the things that bring people to towns (movie theatres, concert halls, resorts, clubs, waterparks, etc).
papaadoc

Evanston, IL

#4715 Aug 7, 2010
route66fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard of it either - but it looks nice. This is precisely the type of stuff Steger needs. Something to make Steger a destination for people.
Once here, they will shop here. Which is why Steger really needs to get that land by I-394!! So we can have businesses for people coming/going in and out of Steger. I know the economy has slowed things, but IF the 3rd airport happens, WHEN Balmoral gets bigger, IF the Illiana Expressway is built - then I-394/Steger Road and all that unincorporated land will be very good to have and develop!
Anyhow, it's good to see a "destination" business in town. Those are the things that bring people to towns (movie theatres, concert halls, resorts, clubs, waterparks, etc).
The Ranch is in unincorperated Miller Woods. However the last I heard, the 394 property is BACK in Steger. Haven't seen any moves to develope it but it is in Steger.
Resident

United States

#4716 Aug 7, 2010
papaadoc wrote:
It does look nice, but I have to wonder about who is doing the research about the area. Did you notice on the "Contact Us" page that they are "proudly serving" "Matson" and "Soft Village"?

Steger, IL

#4717 Aug 7, 2010
Resident - wow I didn't notice that. Whoever is creating the webpage - or running the company - certainly doesn't know the area very well. Those are pretty major typos! That is really strange though, makes you feel like it is owned by someone living/based in another state completely.

papaadoc - Yeah, I realize it's unicorporated Steger, but "destination" businesses are what this entire area needs, especially Steger. I didn't realize Steger got the I-394 corner back - that's great news. Now the powers-that-be (the Board/Mayor) need to get some businesses there! BUSINESSES, if it goes to home development that will be such a waste of potentially prime land - especially given Kohl's and the Crete Business Park.

Steger, IL

#4718 Aug 7, 2010
Also, on the proudly serving - why isn't it serving Crete (right down the street) or Park Forest which is between us and Richton Park? Or Lansing or Lynwood - just over the expressway. Gotta admit, that is odd.
greenacres1964

United States

#4719 Aug 7, 2010
I do agree with route66fan. This is the type of business that the area needs to help draw revenue into the area.

But, I've got a question for the more educated people out there. How can this "social club" run out of a house? I thought that there were zoning laws, etc. that had to be followed to have a business such as this in a house zoned for single family?
Concerned in Steger

Hammond, IN

#4720 Aug 8, 2010
Police blotter 8/8

STEGER

TRUCK THEFT A 1990 Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck was stolen July 6 or 7 in the first block of East 34th Street.

VANDALISM A vehicle's rear and side windows were shattered Aug. 1 in the 3300 block of Wallace Avenue.

WARRANT ARREST Daniel Olivarez, 65, 3410 Green St., Steger, was arrested on a Will County warrant Aug. 1 in the 3400 block of Green Street, police said.

PHONE PILFERED A cell phone was stolen Aug. 1 at Harry's New Town Restaurant, 12 E. 33rd Place.

VEHICLE VANDALIZED Someone wrote "Buy a New Car" and "Sex 4 Sale" in an unknown white substance on a 71-year-old Steger woman's car Aug. 4 or 5 in the 100 block of Dorsetshire Drive.

SUSPENDED LICENSE Alicia R. Walton, 20, 33 Abbey Lane, Park Forest, was charged with driving on a suspended license and speeding after a stop Aug. 6 at Cottage Grove Avenue and Sauk Trail, police said.
papaadoc

Evanston, IL

#4721 Aug 8, 2010
greenacres1964 wrote:
I do agree with route66fan. This is the type of business that the area needs to help draw revenue into the area.
But, I've got a question for the more educated people out there. How can this "social club" run out of a house? I thought that there were zoning laws, etc. that had to be followed to have a business such as this in a house zoned for single family?
That would be up to the Cook County Board. They must also have issued the liquor license
papaadoc

Evanston, IL

#4722 Aug 8, 2010
route66fan wrote:
Resident - wow I didn't notice that. Whoever is creating the webpage - or running the company - certainly doesn't know the area very well. Those are pretty major typos! That is really strange though, makes you feel like it is owned by someone living/based in another state completely.
papaadoc - Yeah, I realize it's unicorporated Steger, but "destination" businesses are what this entire area needs, especially Steger. I didn't realize Steger got the I-394 corner back - that's great news. Now the powers-that-be (the Board/Mayor) need to get some businesses there! BUSINESSES, if it goes to home development that will be such a waste of potentially prime land - especially given Kohl's and the Crete Business Park.
One of the hold ups with the 394 property is no sewer and water. I see no reason why a deal couldn't be cut with Crete to tie into the lines that run along Steger road on their side. If busines would develope there it would also bring more business to the Crete business. I think they believe they may be able to get it annexed into Crete. What ever the case Steger should be working on getting water and sewr out there any way they can. Federal Grant, state grant or what ever it takes.

I have also heard rumors that there is a pumping station for Crete that Steger owns. If that is the case, there may be a little leverage for Crete to allwo Steger to tap into their lines
anonymous pa

Homewood, IL

#4723 Aug 9, 2010
what buisnesses are going in the new building across from eastview school
Lifer looking to leave

United States

#4724 Aug 9, 2010
Last I heard the only thing for sure was a dialysis center.
Moving to Crete

Skokie, IL

#4725 Aug 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

We are currenty under contract with a home in Crete On Richton Rd road slightly East of Union. We are life long north siders that have lived in Skokie for over 15 years, so this area is very new to us.

First impression is "we love it." Finding a home with land and a country setting has been a long time dream of ours but, wanted to wait until my boys were done w school. My 19 yr old still lives at home so I'm concerned about his safety if we move here especially after hearing how bad its becoming. I'm also worried about him accidentally driving into one of the bad surrounding towns.
We still have time to back out of our contract... is Crete really going down the tubes?
Moving to Crete

Skokie, IL

#4726 Aug 9, 2010
PS: Would love input from actual Crete/Steger residents - Thank you :)
Bemes Rd

AOL

#4727 Aug 9, 2010
"I'm also worried about him accidentally driving into one of the bad surrounding towns."

Is Skokie that good?

Crete is turnig diverse just like any other city around here.
A lot of people are running to Indiana because they fear the IL. taxes.
parkview

Homewood, IL

#4728 Aug 9, 2010
i've lived in the area since i was 5 becareful of sauk village east side of 394 and sauk trail, steger is very nice thats why i stayed in this area,i live in steger now since 1995 very nice people and very neighborly
Moving to Crete wrote:
PS: Would love input from actual Crete/Steger residents - Thank you :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stateville gets new lease on life as Pontiac pr... (May '08) 12 min Fritz 51
The corruption continues at Bloom Trail... 3 hr Little Joe 17
Concerned Citizens 6 hr digger_70 2
How can TJ Somers be allowed to run his private... (Sep '11) 9 hr Innocent Bystander 17
Ralph the ex-Heights fireman 13 hr digger_70 15
Garafalos Finer Foods (Jun '10) 13 hr Pretty good memory 11
Josh Deabel going down (Mar '15) Mon digger_70 20

Steger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Steger Mortgages