Steger news by residents
Nick in Crete

AOL

#4586 Jul 21, 2010
Yep,
I remember the scilian cart, They did have great foods, I bought one of Salvadors Sicilian Carts. Sal, His Bro-in-law Cesare and I worked together for years at a rail production company in Chicago heights. Sal sadly is no longer with us but Cesare is still in Chicago Heights. A great bunch of family and good friends.....
young blood

Chicago, IL

#4587 Jul 21, 2010
I am 30 years old and grew up in Steger. I have owned my own home in Steger for over 8 years now. I can say alot has changed and will continue to change.
I usually don't post alot unless I really feel the need. I can say as a young Steger resident we need to come together and be proactive. We need to start going to the village meeings and become concerned and educated about whats going around where we live. I went to my first meeting on Monday and I really learned alot. I have 2 other friends my age that live in Steger and I am insising they starting attending also.
We need to step-up and take ownership of our issues and come together to solve them. We cannot sit quietly on he side lines any longer.

I have to thank my good friend pappadoc for two reasons: 1- for being so involved in our community and having passion for doing good.
and 2- for sharing information to me and inspiring me to get involved.

Yes he gives great information and practically informs everyone on Topix but its YOUR job. GET INFORMED!!!!
See you at the next meeting
Concerned in Steger

Thornton, IL

#4588 Jul 21, 2010
young blood wrote:
I am 30 years old and grew up in Steger. I have owned my own home in Steger for over 8 years now. I can say alot has changed and will continue to change.
I usually don't post alot unless I really feel the need. I can say as a young Steger resident we need to come together and be proactive. We need to start going to the village meeings and become concerned and educated about whats going around where we live. I went to my first meeting on Monday and I really learned alot. I have 2 other friends my age that live in Steger and I am insising they starting attending also.
We need to step-up and take ownership of our issues and come together to solve them. We cannot sit quietly on he side lines any longer.
I have to thank my good friend pappadoc for two reasons: 1- for being so involved in our community and having passion for doing good.
and 2- for sharing information to me and inspiring me to get involved.
Yes he gives great information and practically informs everyone on Topix but its YOUR job. GET INFORMED!!!!
See you at the next meeting
Young blood,

I also went to my 1st board meeting this past Monday and reported about it a few posts before yours. I have the same feelings and concerns about the village as you and many others. I'm recently retired and had planned to live out my life in Steger.

I don't know if that will be possible as the cost is becoming prohibitive with all the nickel and diming that is taking place.

Along with the ridiculous Will county taxes, the ever increasing water charges and the cuts in basic services that the town leaders seem to believe are expendable luxuries, this formerly reasonably well run, affordable community is pricing me and I believe, a lot of the residents out.

I plan on going to more meetings even though for the most part nothing on the agenda is explained well and gets voted on quickly, some information does trickle out. The most frustrating part is that you really have no say in anything until the 'comments' part of the meeting and by then all the business is pretty much cut and dried.
young blood

Chicago, IL

#4589 Jul 21, 2010
Concerned in Steger wrote:
<quoted text>
Young blood,
I also went to my 1st board meeting this past Monday and reported about it a few posts before yours. I have the same feelings and concerns about the village as you and many others. I'm recently retired and had planned to live out my life in Steger.
I don't know if that will be possible as the cost is becoming prohibitive with all the nickel and diming that is taking place.
Along with the ridiculous Will county taxes, the ever increasing water charges and the cuts in basic services that the town leaders seem to believe are expendable luxuries, this formerly reasonably well run, affordable community is pricing me and I believe, a lot of the residents out.
I plan on going to more meetings even though for the most part nothing on the agenda is explained well and gets voted on quickly, some information does trickle out. The most frustrating part is that you really have no say in anything until the 'comments' part of the meeting and by then all the business is pretty much cut and dried.
I also agree with you. I was a little lost in the meeting. They talked really fast, to the point it was almost a mumble. They really didn't explain much. And your right, the community members don't have a chance to discuss much until the end.
I figure my stradegy is going to be active and go and learn and absorb as much as I can and jump in once I feel I have a good understanding of whats going on.
thanks for responding.
I look forward to chatting with you soon.
papaadoc

Chicago, IL

#4590 Jul 21, 2010
To Young Blood and Concerned in Steger,
Thank you both for attending the meeting and thanks to concerned for reporting on it here.

Below is from last Mondays agenda. How is anyone to know what this is about? A few meetings ago I asked that they put an explanation in the agenda so people will have an idea what they are doing. You see how far that got.

Also to concerned, the sewer rate increase was at the June 21 meeting, printed up like the one below. I had no idea that's what it was and there was no dollar amount mentioned.

12. NEW BUSINESS
RESOLUTION NO. 981 RESOLUTION FOR PARTICIPATION IN STATE OF ILLINOIS FEDERAL SURPLUS PROPERTY PROGRAM

I hope more people will, like you two, take a more active interest in our village.

In some gov. meetings, the audience participation is at the beginning of the meeting so questions can be asked about items on the agenda before the board votes. Just a thought.
Concerned in Steger

Thornton, IL

#4591 Jul 21, 2010
papaadoc,

Do you remember when the insurance people moved up on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting because of time constraints...well, the first order of business was to have the attorney read the letter to Thorn Creek...that was never read.

I read the minutes of the June 21st meeting, when you posted the link and noticed the TC increase. I have also gone to the TC site and found that this is the 2nd increase in 2 years, the last being in 2008. Unfortunately the TC government, and that's what it is, is hard to pin down and make accountable for their actions as it's mostly appointed positions.

But I'm still digging to find someone that has to answer to the voters. I would also like to find out what kind of salary increases are being handed out at TC and where all this money is going.
papaadoc

Chicago, IL

#4592 Jul 21, 2010
Concerned in Steger wrote:
papaadoc,
Do you remember when the insurance people moved up on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting because of time constraints...well, the first order of business was to have the attorney read the letter to Thorn Creek...that was never read.
I read the minutes of the June 21st meeting, when you posted the link and noticed the TC increase. I have also gone to the TC site and found that this is the 2nd increase in 2 years, the last being in 2008. Unfortunately the TC government, and that's what it is, is hard to pin down and make accountable for their actions as it's mostly appointed positions.
But I'm still digging to find someone that has to answer to the voters. I would also like to find out what kind of salary increases are being handed out at TC and where all this money is going.
Those two increases were for usage. They are not what the $20.00 is for. TC says we (the village ) have to spend so many dollars per resident (that use TC not Miller Woods) per year for sewer rehab. I don't know if thats a federal thing or just from TC. Good luck digging and please report any findings.
Concerned in Steger

Thornton, IL

#4593 Jul 23, 2010
Today thru Sunday is the 16th Annual Pierogi Fest in Whiting. I try to go every year for those little packets of goodness even though I'm not Polish. They have a lot of bands and things to do for all ages.

http://www.pierogifest.net/
give us a break

Chicago Heights, IL

#4594 Jul 24, 2010
At mondays B0ard meeting when Attorney Frank burkey told the Board that unless they passed his $44,ooo salary or he would walk out the Board should have let him walk. He was hired when Sherman became Mayor (40 years ago) and went from lawyer to employee and got into a retirement fund that now pays him plenty and now he is a contract employee who wants 44,000 a year for only certain case and wants hourly for law suits,Our employees have not seen a raise for 2 yrs.Maybe we will get 3 new trustees in the next election and a new begining will get back in place and we will get the old Steger back.GET OUT AND VOTE
CeeCee

Schererville, IN

#4595 Jul 24, 2010
You did not state that Trustee Honea had words with Frank Burkey and did not vote for his raise. She also stated that employees of the village have not had raises in about 2 years and there is not money to replace retired public works employees so he should not have a raise and he kept arguing with her. Yes people need to get out the next election.
Concerned in Steger

Thornton, IL

#4596 Jul 24, 2010
CeeCee wrote:
You did not state that Trustee Honea had words with Frank Burkey and did not vote for his raise. She also stated that employees of the village have not had raises in about 2 years and there is not money to replace retired public works employees so he should not have a raise and he kept arguing with her. Yes people need to get out the next election.
From my post of July 20th on the board meeting;

"Well, I went to my 1st board meeting last night (even though I missed 2 episodes of Family Guy on TBS-Very Funny, to see local democracy in action) and for the most part, pretty mundane.

A couple of highlights were;
the city attorney wants a $4000/10% raise or he's walking. Trustee Honea is adamant that the budget can't handle that much. She is outvoted and the attorney gets the money and stays."

Kind of the Readers Digest version, but...it had been reported.
ccc

Chicago Heights, IL

#4597 Jul 24, 2010
give us a break wrote:
At mondays B0ard meeting when Attorney Frank burkey told the Board that unless they passed his $44,ooo salary or he would walk out the Board should have let him walk. He was hired when Sherman became Mayor (40 years ago) and went from lawyer to employee and got into a retirement fund that now pays him plenty and now he is a contract employee who wants 44,000 a year for only certain case and wants hourly for law suits,Our employees have not seen a raise for 2 yrs.Maybe we will get 3 new trustees in the next election and a new begining will get back in place and we will get the old Steger back.GET OUT AND VOTE
how did the 2 newest members baniki and lopez vote on the burkey issue?
Cooperstown

Dallas, TX

#4599 Jul 24, 2010
Was that Bobby Joyce shaking Andre Dawson's hand on the WGN news tonight?
Hall of fame

Chicago, IL

#4600 Jul 24, 2010
Cooperstown wrote:
Yes it was him
Concerned in Steger

Thornton, IL

#4601 Jul 25, 2010
Police report for July 25;

STEGER

PHONE PILFERED A cell phone was stolen July 15 from a home in the 3300 block of Butler Avenue.

VEHICLE VANDALIZED A vehicle's rear window was shattered July 16 or 17 in the 3100 block of Green Street.

LIGHTS DAMAGED Two outdoor carriage lights were pulled from a home's front yard and damaged July 17 or 18 in the 22500 block of Sherman Road.

WINDOW BROKEN A vehicle's side window was shattered July 17 or 18 in the 3500 block of Halsted Boulevard.

SUSPENDED LICENSE Lanesha Lee, 31, of Sauk Village, was charged with driving on a suspended license, no rear license plate light and no insurance after a stop July 18 in the 300 block of Sauk Trail, police said.

DECORATIONS DAMAGED Two flower pots and two cement pillars were damaged July 18 at a home's front yard in the 3400 block of Phillips Avenue.

LICENSE SUSPENDED Jonshau D. Smith, 19, of Hammond, was charged with driving on a suspended license, improper lane use, having expired registration and no insurance after a July 18 stop in the 3400 block of Union Avenue, police said.

CAR THEFT A 2006 Volkswagen Jetta was stolen July 18 or 19 in the 400 block of West 34th Street.

NO LICENSE A 17-year-old Crete youth was charged with driving without a valid license and disobeying a stop sign after a July 19 stop in the 3500 block of Carpenter Street.

DOMESTIC BATTERY William T. Glass, 25, of Sauk Village, was charged with domestic battery after a disturbance July 20 in the 3300 block of Chicago Road, police said.

GRAFFITI Someone spray-painted graffiti on the wall of a vacant home's garage July 22 in the 3000 block of Peoria Street.

BIKE THEFT A woman's bicycle was stolen July 22 from a home's front yard in the 3100 block of Peoria Street.
papaadoc

Chicago, IL

#4603 Jul 25, 2010
Cooperstown wrote:
I tried to find a link to the video, but had no luck on WGN. Does anyone have a link to it? Please post it.
no fan

Chicago Heights, IL

#4604 Jul 25, 2010
What is the big dill about Bobby shaking hand with WGN is he running for mayor agan lol,oh i guess thats big new in this town,
homewood

Chicago Heights, IL

#4605 Jul 25, 2010
in broad daylight,somebody went in my neighbors van,stoled her purse,and gps.last week they picked up a kid that was looking in peoples houses,same kid was on rampage saturday,cops were looking for him.it is sad that parent knows he has disability ,that they should have better control ofhim.i have a neice with disabilities,she is supervised,
Rudie

Chicago, IL

#4606 Jul 26, 2010
Is it a young kid?
papaadoc

Chicago, IL

#4607 Jul 26, 2010
no fan wrote:
What is the big dill about Bobby shaking hand with WGN is he running for mayor agan lol,oh i guess thats big new in this town,
Even if it was just you, and you're from Steger someone would have put it on here. It's Steger News by Residents

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you remember when? (Sep '08) 58 min TNguy 38
St. James Hospital Chicago Heights 14 hr Joee 5
Nite Games in Oak Forest 16 hr Annie 3
Shooting in dixmoor il Mon Concerned 2
Bloom Township Democratic Party civil war Jan 14 digger_70 15
beecher fire department (Feb '17) Jan 12 Concerned Beecher... 4
Seretse Robinson and Leon Robinson murder in Ch... Jan 11 woulfie5758 1

Steger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance