First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Saint Peters, MO

#1 Jan 28, 2008
Seems like everyone in this area is sick with a cold or the flu. Just wondering if anyone had any good home remedies that work for various things.
My son had a cough/fever the other day and we couldn't get his temperature down for two days using Motrin and Tylenol. I got on the internet looking for home remedies to help and found a couple for fever. My son called me a "crazy hillbilly" but this really worked. I read to take some onion and put on the sole of his feet and then put socks on overnight. Another site said to soak them in vinegar first. I know vinegar helps a sunburn so I tried it that way. He protested but his fever went from 103 to 100 in about 35 minutes. You could smell his bedroom from about 20 feet away - but it did help.(Opened his sinuses too! lol)
Here lately I've found that sometimes the the old things/home remedies help as much or better than the medicine they give you.
Just before this I found out that ground cloves are good for a toothache. The orajel helped some, but the cloves really made a difference.
Anyone else have any good home remedies?
hmmm

Castle Rock, CO

#2 Jan 28, 2008
Spread the soles of your feet, yes feet!, with Vicks vapor rub, works much better than on the chest, but then put slices of fresh garlic on it, wrap in saran then put on socks and sleep with it. Fresh onion sliced and left on a bedside table works wonders, too. Garlic and onion are natural antibacterial AND antiviral, no harm done. Eat LOTS of fresh when you feel you're getting sick. Raw, apple cider vinegar works for everything from a dry scalp to acid reflux.

A good site for natural remedies is www .earthclinic .com

Saint Peters, MO

#4 Jan 28, 2008
moblondangel wrote:
Has anyone seen the pads that you put on the bottom of your feet at night to remove the toxins from your body? I wonder if that really works?
I have seen that! I wondered if it works too... although the stuff on there looks pretty gross.
hmmm

Castle Rock, CO

#5 Jan 28, 2008
Yes, the pads do work! I had a pedicure and foot reflexology and they gave me some to apply, in the evening. It is GROSS! You do need to use them quite a bit to draw it *all* out. Some people argue that is is a skin reaction, but it's not. We did it at a exercise retreat and everyone's were different, depending on the toxins in *your* body. Two big thumbs up!

“LT.DAN YOU AIN'T GOT NO LEGS”

Since: Oct 07

STEELE,MO

#6 Jan 28, 2008
guest wrote:
Seems like everyone in this area is sick with a cold or the flu. Just wondering if anyone had any good home remedies that work for various things.
My son had a cough/fever the other day and we couldn't get his temperature down for two days using Motrin and Tylenol. I got on the internet looking for home remedies to help and found a couple for fever. My son called me a "crazy hillbilly" but this really worked. I read to take some onion and put on the sole of his feet and then put socks on overnight. Another site said to soak them in vinegar first. I know vinegar helps a sunburn so I tried it that way. He protested but his fever went from 103 to 100 in about 35 minutes. You could smell his bedroom from about 20 feet away - but it did help.(Opened his sinuses too! lol)
Here lately I've found that sometimes the the old things/home remedies help as much or better than the medicine they give you.
Just before this I found out that ground cloves are good for a toothache. The orajel helped some, but the cloves really made a difference.
Anyone else have any good home remedies?
Although the drug companies won't admit it,most of their formulas for medications are based on home remedies.My dad used to tell me stories of when he was a kid,the old country doctors using old home remedies for ailments.One in particular was pouring urine in your ear to cure an ear ache.True story.

Saint Peters, MO

#7 Jan 28, 2008
Heard that urine helps athlete's foot too.
Thank goodness I don't suffer from that or earaches!
2hot4U

Pinola, MS

#8 Jan 28, 2008
i have sun spots on my skin, mostly my chest, back and arms. i've been to the doctors several times, even several different doctors...i've tried selsum shampoo, creams, even prescribed pills. Nothing helps.
hmmm

Castle Rock, CO

#9 Jan 28, 2008
Have you seen a dermatologist??? Lots of things are called sunspots. Are you sure that's what it is? I'm assuming you are referring to the skin fungus spots that tan, but not as much as the surrounding skin??? If it is a fungus, there are other antifungal creams out there besides selsum. Also, the topicals *can* kill the fungus, but will not return the color. I believe that comes back on it's own, in time.... Apple Cider Vinegar is also *said* to make the spots go away... I know it is perfectly balanced for proper ph of the skin and scalp. You need the buy the raw ACV that has the mother in it. I buy Bragg's brand, you can probably get it at the health food store in Blytheville, it's cheap and easy..... If they *really* bother you, I would suggest you see a dermatologist, advances are being made all the time.
neon blue camero

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Jan 28, 2008
guest wrote:
Heard that urine helps athlete's foot too.
Thank goodness I don't suffer from that or earaches!
Believe it or not you can drink urine. I heard a man lecture one time about some prisoners of war and they would drink their urine because they weren't given water. I asked a medical person about that and he said yes but it has to be done fast before bacteria sets in. Who would have thunk.Sad what some American soldiers have had to endure to survive.
neon blue camero

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Jan 28, 2008
Heres one I never figured out at all and I don't know if it works. Bee or wasp sting put tobacco on it. I don't think it does anything but it's an old remedy.
hmmm

Castle Rock, CO

#12 Jan 28, 2008
neon blue camero wrote:
Heres one I never figured out at all and I don't know if it works. Bee or wasp sting put tobacco on it. I don't think it does anything but it's an old remedy.
Meat tenderizer has an enzyme in it that will pull out the sting burn/sting, also!

Bragg City, MO

#13 Jan 28, 2008
Putting slices of onion on the bottom of your feet does work my kids was running 104 plus some fever nothing helped so i tried it before they went to bed put there socks on to hold onion in place and by the middle of the night fever was gone and the onion was hot to touch....
homeopath

Kennett, MO

#14 Jan 28, 2008
vinegar works on any kind of fungus. If you have nail fungus, sun spot fungus, just put vinegar on a cotton ball and rub on it every day. 100 % cured within a few months.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#15 Jan 28, 2008
I saw on TV where you can put tea in a spray bottle and spray your house. It gets rid of dust mites and stuff. I didn't believe it until I tried it and it does work. It makes the air a lot easier to breathe in too.

“Wodige Digatoli ale Awanita.”

Since: Jan 08

Equa Vdali

#16 Jan 29, 2008
garlic will help build your immune system to fight colds and flue during the winter, if you use the table form take one to two tablets per day depending on your weight. it is also good for your heart.

Equa Vdali

#17 Jan 29, 2008
neon blue camero wrote:
it does work, the nicotine works a drawing factor that will pull the venom bout of the sting area, Copenhagen snuff works the best.....LOL of course thats my brand.

Also I have a cousin that swares that if you get bit by a brown recluse, if you catch right when it happens , rub the bite area until skin is open around it and soak it in bleach it will at as an anti venom.. I can't sware by it. but he had been bitten many times in his 60 years and never gone to the doctor for a brown recluse bite.

Equa Vdali

#18 Jan 29, 2008
gees alot of typo'd in that one....sorry ---------->TYPO ALERT TYPO ALERT<----------
Beans N Tators

Kennett, MO

#20 Jan 29, 2008
For poison oak and poison ivy, you can pick ground ivy from around your house, it grows around most homes in the yard near the house, fry some meat, any kind of meat, and after you are finished frying the meat put a lot of the ground ivy into the hot grease and cook it for a little while, and then throw the ground ivy away, and pour the grease into a jar. Let it set up and cool and it will get like lard, or a salve actually. Use this by spreading it on the affected area and it will stop the itch and kill the poison ivy or poison oak. It will dry up in no time.
Beans N Tators

Kennett, MO

#21 Jan 29, 2008
For leg cramps in the middle of the night just throw a bar of soap under the covers and it will take the cramps away. Any kind of soap will do.
Beans N Tators

Kennett, MO

#22 Jan 29, 2008
For thrush mouth in infants find someone who has never seen their natural father and have them blow two breaths in the babys mouth and it will be gone within three days. You can not thank the person when they do this or it will not work. I Suppose it is just a gift from God!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steele Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melissa Partain 3 hr Sos 3
Stand Your Ground/Castle Law 18 hr Guest 8
Regulators MC 19 hr Whatever 4
Gang bang 20 hr Guest 7
Shardae Clay Wed Citizen 2
Lions Den (Feb '08) Wed Traveler 377
Dean's Wed 3718cat 3

Steele Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance