Ambulance Service Added to Fire and Rescue Stations in Augusta

Augusta County is adding 24/7 ambulance service, station by station, all over the county. Full Story
Dakota

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Jan 4, 2013
Bureau Chief.

17 years with NBC29 should give a guy from AC some pull over in C-ville.

Help the family of Dashad Smith , Ken ...Prod somebody in C-ville to keep the story moving , 29 is dropping the ball over the hill.

sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 4, 2013
there goes the free ride.
Dakota

Waynesboro, VA

#4 Jan 5, 2013
sez you wrote:
there goes the free ride.
Never has been a free ride. Free ride on the backs of volunteers backs, maybe. But a public service must be paid for . Thats why I don't complain about my property taxes much.
I vote for responsibility

Staunton, VA

#5 Jan 5, 2013
Doesn't NBC29 fact check anything? There has been no "addition" of services. The only thing added is a huge burden to the taxpayers.

Do you think the public is so detatched that we won't recall all of the press coverage outlining arrangements between the County and Waynesboro First Aid and Staunton Rescue to cover EMS calls at this station and the one in Fishersville? These stories aren't that old!

The County has shifted from privatization and a financial risk of zero to full responsibility. Seasoned Paramedics have been replaced (for the most part) with young inexperienced rookie providers. At some point these providers will become as comfortable as those they replaced, but it will take years.

The County used to at least be sneaky about their desire to remove volunteers from their system. "Station by station, all of the County"..at least the real agenda is now on the table.

If you're for big government and high taxes, then ignore this article. If you're not, then compare budget histories in Augusta County and sound the alarm. Compare Fire/Rescue to law enforcement and schools over the last five years.

Stand up and be counted Augusta County! Otherwise this out of control train is going to jump the tracks.

NBC 29, please don't forget that job#1 for Augusta County Fire & Rescue is to expand their scope and control, no matter what the cost. The days of being able to trust the information they feed you without verifying it as factual are long since gone.
Local view 9

Madison, VA

#6 Jan 5, 2013
Just wait until the grant runs out. Do you fire them or raise taxes?

Look at what is happening in Albemarle County, same thing.
exfirefighter

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Jan 5, 2013
What gets me is just because they are paid,they have the SAME skills as volunteers and take the same traning. Augusta county fire/rescue has always thought they're better than anyone else. They just want to run over everybody. It's pathetic.How many is going to be placed at each station? 2? Without volunteers they're up crap creek without paddles and a boat. Stop abusing volunteers,these people put a lot of time in to help their communities. They're own time and money.
LOL

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 5, 2013
Volunteer EMS has been on life support for years. It's time to pronounce it dead.
ALL of the large rescue squads; Cville, Waynesboro, Staunton, Harrisonburg, are primarily paid departments with volunteers using it as a hobby.
The unfortunate thing is these rescue squads were too narcissistic to change with times, so now they are forced to give away EMS to fire departments (terrible!)
LOL

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Rush Maddow wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a reminder that you are totally clueless.
uh huh...who's hobby is it again that is being replaced by professionals?
OldPM

King George, VA

#11 Jan 7, 2013
For the cost of two paid career staff in the station annually the county could instead promote the value of the volunteer to the community, and by doing so raise the public image of all volunteers. This would increase both support and volunteerism and completely negate the need for more taxpayer funded positions, and for a fraction of the costs.
realist

Wheeling, WV

#12 Jan 7, 2013
This article is so inaccurate. The services were already at Riverheads Fire Department. There was a Medic level ambulance staffed there 24/7 with Staunton Augusta Rescue Squad. This isnt a new idea. The only difference is now the ambulance is staffed by Augusta County providers that think they might put out a fire with an ambulance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staunton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
unsolved child murder in 1964-1965 (Jan '09) Fri misty 13
Natasha Mobley she got her kid tonight or nah? Nov 7 Some mom 1
Missing! Please Help Nov 3 Sarah 2
Debbie varner Oct 27 lmao 2
little boy Oct 23 donna 1
Brittany Yeargain (Jun '12) Oct '14 YoursTruly 5
Discreet Fun in Staunton Oct '14 Vaguy2014 1
Staunton Dating
Find my Match

Staunton People Search