Family of Western State Hospital Pati...

Family of Western State Hospital Patient Files Lawsuit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo...

There are 10 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 23, 2012, titled Family of Western State Hospital Patient Files Lawsuit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The family of a man who spent more than 15 years in solitary confinement at Western State Hospital in Staunton is suing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Get Real

Plymouth, MN

#1 Jul 23, 2012
Sooo....let me get this straight: he was too dangerous to be around others, so they gave him a 3 room suite, 3 meals a day, and probably other amenities. I'm sure it's no vacation club, but dang - he was TOO DANGEROUS to be around others. If they win $100MIL (or anything), they should pay for all the damages he did which got him there in the first place, as well for a 3 room suite, etc that was footed by the taxpayer. My bill to them would at least equal whatever they win.
AAAAA

Roanoke, VA

#2 Jul 23, 2012
300 DOCUMENTED ATTACKS ON STAFF AND OTHER PATIENTS OVER THE YEARS.THEY DESERVE NOTHING.IF I'M WRONG CHECK WITH JACK BARBER.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#3 Jul 23, 2012
AAAAA wrote:
300 DOCUMENTED ATTACKS ON STAFF AND OTHER PATIENTS OVER THE YEARS.THEY DESERVE NOTHING.IF I'M WRONG CHECK WITH JACK BARBER.
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU POST IN ALL CAPS OR NOT, I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU AND I RESPECT THE POST EVEN LESS BECAUSE IT IS HARDER TO READ.
.
http://www.the-press-news.com/ap%20state/2012...
.
It appears he averaged over 300 on hospital staff and 100 on other patients a year over seven years according to the AP.
.
" He averaged 300 assaults against staff and another 100 against patients over each of the next seven years while he was housed with other residents, according to records obtained by the AP.
"
.
It also appears that they will be limited to, if they can't prove 'gross negligence' to $100K.
.
It's a tough nut to crack, the guy is a human being, so it's not like we can put him down like a bad dog, and at the same time afford him dignity. I've only read a little bit about it, so given my limited knowledge of the case, it appears the hospital was trying to do everything they could to provide safety to patients and staff, while providing him some dignity to this man. What I don't understand is why did the state have to incarcerate him, why not the family? I mean, if they cared so much.
really

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jul 23, 2012
it was cruel to seperate a threat, but not cruel to unleash him on other patients or release him entirely as a threat to society? i swear to god, world is coming to an end.
Amy McMahon

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jul 23, 2012
The family is too lazy to care. That's why.
Now that he is gone, they care because they see $$ in their eyes
omg

Stuarts Draft, VA

#6 Jul 24, 2012
They waited 15 years...He spent more than 15 years in solitary confinement and they did nothing about it then,WHY now??
Former Western State Emp

South Saint Paul, MN

#7 Oct 15, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
The family is too lazy to care. That's why.
Now that he is gone, they care because they see $$ in their eyes
I didn't work at Western for long (2004), but I DEFINITELY remember this guy from training. He was the ONLY patient there like this. He was Seriously Paranoid Schizophrenic, and yes, he had a three room locked suite to himself. His family visited him and was involved with his care almost the entire time he was there! I know that he didn't speak very good English, he spoke Spanish. However, He DID use any face to face human contact as an excuse to assault staff, etc. So the precautions Western State used WERE actually necessary. He was kept unrestrained, however, and also had access to his own little gated courtyard, so he could get fresh air and not be bothered by other patients. They monitored him via video feed. I'm unsure as to what landed him IN Western State, but regardless he wasn't someone you'd have wanted running around "on the outside". As much as I am against most forms of incarceration, I still feel that there are SOME people who need to be restrained and quarantined from the general population. Sad as it may be, his family probably could NOT have been capable of handling his numerous needs. That is why facilities such as these exist. I don't think the family will win this suit, mainly because they DID know about the "solitary" confinement. And are only choosing to sue AFTER the man's passing. That is about as transparent as you can get!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Oct 15, 2012
Oh by the way, if the righties get their way, you'll meet these fine folks on the street.
Current Western State Emo

Auburn, WA

#9 Nov 30, 2012
Former Western State Emp wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't work at Western for long (2004), but I DEFINITELY remember this guy from training. He was the ONLY patient there like this. He was Seriously Paranoid Schizophrenic, and yes, he had a three room locked suite to himself. His family visited him and was involved with his care almost the entire time he was there! I know that he didn't speak very good English, he spoke Spanish. However, He DID use any face to face human contact as an excuse to assault staff, etc. So the precautions Western State used WERE actually necessary. He was kept unrestrained, however, and also had access to his own little gated courtyard, so he could get fresh air and not be bothered by other patients. They monitored him via video feed. I'm unsure as to what landed him IN Western State, but regardless he wasn't someone you'd have wanted running around "on the outside". As much as I am against most forms of incarceration, I still feel that there are SOME people who need to be restrained and quarantined from the general population. Sad as it may be, his family probably could NOT have been capable of handling his numerous needs. That is why facilities such as these exist. I don't think the family will win this suit, mainly because they DID know about the "solitary" confinement. And are only choosing to sue AFTER the man's passing. That is about as transparent as you can get!
I agree with you as a current employee at WSH this was the best way staff could handle this situation. The family may get something small but probably not because family is always contacted when these situations occur. So therefore they Knew what was going on.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Nov 30, 2012
Simple, a slease ball lawyer has talked them into filing suit for an easy payday for himself and the family. It won't fly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staunton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Would you move to Stauton is you were not from ... (Mar '13) Wed use to be a Selma... 5
Augusta Correctional May 19 Augusta Correctio... 1
Nicole Miller Staunton paramedic May 6 Fred Louis 1
Staunton Motorcycle Club May 2 stauntonmc 2
Black mold. (Sep '16) Apr 29 You truly was stupid 2
Headlights Apr '17 Headlights 1
Turn Signals Apr '17 Turn Signals 1

Staunton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Staunton Mortgages