Debate Heats Up at Churchville Fire and Rescue Public Meeting

Churchville Fire and Rescue is accused of failing to respond fast enough to several destructive and even deadly fires. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ponder this

Staunton, VA

#21 Feb 4, 2013
cvfr should be careful what they wish for with 24 expensive staff. fishersville fd #2!
next their deputy chief last year was very quick to spout off that they had more volunteers than any company in the county - well where are they?
the community meeting looked to be very off balance as far as community vs fire company members - again where are all those members when the call goes out? that is super they dress nice and show up for the debate but with more volunteers than anywhere else why are there so many missed calls and calls with only paid staff on them?
the statistics presented by the politician were loaded - they are not accurate. i have seen and read that they include many calls - maybe over 100 - that the fire company was added to and got credit and money for even if they never responded. that does 2 things - 1 it falsely increases their call numbers and 2 it drastically decreases their response times. another thing the 1,400 calls mentioned includes ambulance operations and fire calls so there are over 60 no response calls - not just 31.
there are only 4 or 5 all volunteer fire companies in that county left from what i am told. here is an idea -

FOR THE AREAS / COMMUNITIES THAT DO VOLUNTEER THEY GET A LOWER TAX RATE OR A TAX CREDIT - EVERYONE IN THAT COMMUNITY! That should do a few things like incentivize volunteering, promote community support EVERYWHERE (in the communities that have the expensive paid staff too - to get their community in the lower rate or on board with the tax refund) help with community donations - if they have a tax credit or lower rate they will be more inclined to donate to their fire company.

from people i know that live there the cvfr has gotten A LOT more money than was listed - much more than $100,000 and vehicles and county staff mon - fri 12 hours a day. the presentation attached to nbc 29 is not true and correct. smoke and mirrors - pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
NotGettingRich

Powhatan, VA

#22 Feb 17, 2013
Wow wrote:
It blows my mind that a full time fire fighter gets paid $50,000 a year and we have Deputies that make $30,000 -$34,000 a year. I see a major problem here!
The $50,000 figure isn't all salary. That figure includes the value of the employee benefits, which (depending on locality) can run 40% to 50% of the salary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staunton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
unsolved child murder in 1964-1965 (Jan '09) Nov 21 misty 13
Natasha Mobley she got her kid tonight or nah? Nov 7 Some mom 1
Missing! Please Help Nov 3 Sarah 2
Debbie varner Oct '14 lmao 2
little boy Oct '14 donna 1
Brittany Yeargain (Jun '12) Oct '14 YoursTruly 5
Discreet Fun in Staunton Oct '14 Vaguy2014 1
Staunton Dating
Find my Match

Staunton People Search