Car Club Drivers Facing Fines for Wild Driving through Augusta - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA N...

More than a dozen drivers from a Washington D.C. area car club are facing possible fines for reported wild driving through Augusta County. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DirtKicker

Palmyra, VA

#1 Nov 11, 2012
Towed their vehicles?? Seems a little extreme for some traffic infractions...
nsarcastic

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Nov 11, 2012
It also seems as if they don't even have enough evidence as they are asking people to call in anything they might have witnessed. Sounds like a typical get out of my southern town you crazy outsiders. I'm surprised they weren't immediately sentenced to breaking rocks....
wiseman

New York, NY

#3 Nov 12, 2012
sounds to me like idiots putting people at risk. you should learn about SOME of these car clubs before you speak ..
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

#4 Nov 12, 2012
Glad to see someone is cracking down on these reckless city folk. Give them everything they've earned!
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 12, 2012
If I had to guess, I would say that most likely what we are talking about is multiple violations of everything from 46.2-852 through 46.2-865, in multiple jurisdictions (counties) which is one reason you ask for witnesses to come forward; plus most likely 46.2-817 part B (Felony)- so yeah, no suprise that they towed the vehicles.
7_62FMJ

Palmyra, VA

#6 Nov 12, 2012
they probably got towed due to illegal modifications on their vehicles there are certain things they can take you off the road for i.e. bumpers to high or low, nitro the decibel level of the exhaust. it does sound like a bunch of idiots from out of town.... thats why most motorcycle clubs drive the speed limit
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 12, 2012
Should be fined for reckless squandering of petrol.
Waste of Time

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 12, 2012
Why would anybody volunteer any information? They will get a subpoena to court resulting in their having to take off from work. Pretty much a waste of an entire day. Once in court, an attorney(s) has shown up with the suspects and asks for a continuation. So any witness would now have to take off a second day from work to attend. If the cases for each suspect are set for different days, a witness could end up with numerous subpoenas to court and end up getting fired for taking off so much time from work. And none of this includes any appeal that might be filed if the suspects are convicted in General District Court.
Waste of Time

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Nov 12, 2012
heh wrote:
Should be fined for reckless squandering of petrol.
How do you know it wasn't some Hybrid Tree Hugger Car Club?
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Nov 12, 2012
Waste of Time wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it wasn't some Hybrid Tree Hugger Car Club?
hydrogen and flux capacitor drivers get out of jail free
7_62FMJ

Palmyra, VA

#12 Nov 12, 2012
cant beleive there wasnt a jacked up super duty to run them of the road
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 12, 2012
I'm willing to bet it was a bunch of rice rockets.
haahaa

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Nov 12, 2012
The cars, he said, included BMWs, Lexuses, Nissans and “an exotic one or two.”
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
I'm willing to bet it was a bunch of rice rockets.
Tammy

Lexington, VA

#16 Nov 12, 2012
Good Job to our Deputies, State Police, And Highland Co, You may have very well saved a life! I love it!
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Nov 12, 2012
The police did exactly the right thing in impounding these cars. Would you want to be the one whose child was killed or maimed by these mindless idiots? I hope they had a good time hitchhiking home; also hope the vehicles remain impounded until adjudication of these cases (and after).
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Nov 12, 2012
Waste of Time wrote:
Why would anybody volunteer any information? They will get a subpoena to court resulting in their having to take off from work. Pretty much a waste of an entire day. Once in court, an attorney(s) has shown up with the suspects and asks for a continuation. So any witness would now have to take off a second day from work to attend. If the cases for each suspect are set for different days, a witness could end up with numerous subpoenas to court and end up getting fired for taking off so much time from work. And none of this includes any appeal that might be filed if the suspects are convicted in General District Court.
Meh. Giving a statement doesn't take much time. Enough statements and there's no hope of contesting the charges. Do your civic duty, people.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Nov 12, 2012
Sounds like just another day on 29 heading to work.
TheFish

Baltimore, MD

#20 Nov 12, 2012
Must have been the highlight of Augusta County Sheriff's Office's year. I can imagine it gets pretty boring being a Sheriff in the middle of nowhere... I would pick on those city folk in their fancy cars as well!!

Those darned city folk and their fancy cars...

It's too bad they're going to have to wait until next year to get more action. After all, the only reason to drive through that hick part of town is to look at the pretty fall trees.
Waste of Time

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Nov 12, 2012
Sarg wrote:
The police did exactly the right thing in impounding these cars. Would you want to be the one whose child was killed or maimed by these mindless idiots? I hope they had a good time hitchhiking home; also hope the vehicles remain impounded until adjudication of these cases (and after).
Impounding a car is one thing, impounding it legally is another. I find it hard to believe that 15 cars/drivers did anything serious enough in the presence of officers that warranted being impounded. There seems to be a lot more to this tale than is being reported. The most probable scenario that comes to mind is all 15 were speeding and there's was a police car tailing them and trying to stop them. They were all then charged with eluding the police, a felony, and taken into custody. This might hold up in a magistrate's office in order to obtain warrants, but it will never fly in a courtroom. The first, second, third, fourth and fifth car at the front of the line might not even have known there was a police car at the end of line trying to stop them. If the media ever follows up on this tale, it will be interesting to learn how 15 cars were legally impounded.
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Nov 12, 2012
TheFish wrote:
Must have been the highlight of Augusta County Sheriff's Office's year. I can imagine it gets pretty boring being a Sheriff in the middle of nowhere... I would pick on those city folk in their fancy cars as well!!
Those darned city folk and their fancy cars...
It's too bad they're going to have to wait until next year to get more action. After all, the only reason to drive through that hick part of town is to look at the pretty fall trees.
Hi troll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staunton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
little boy Jan 22 karma 2
Staunton Dog Wash (Feb '12) Jan 3 Oscar 8
False prophets of Augusta County, Va Dec 28 Ricky 3
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Dec 25 stuart Draft 6
chris houchins Dec '14 info 1
Hope clinic (Dec '12) Dec '14 Guess 44
Threesome Dec '14 Eric 3
Staunton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Staunton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:15 pm PST