New Foster Care Program Starting Up in Charlottesville - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spo...

A new organization in Charlottesville is working to help kids who have "Aged Out" of the foster care program, but directors say they need the community's help to get things up and running. Full Story
Larry

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Nov 16, 2011
Thats what the gangs at the downtown mall are for.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#3 Nov 17, 2011
Rosco wrote:
These freeloaders need to get jobs and quit sponging off dencent taxpaying people.
Do you not have any compassion? Yes, they need to get jobs or continue with their education, but my children had a back-up plan while that was happening--their family. Maybe these young people need some support too. It's easy to fall into a questionable lifespan if you're living in the park or under the railroad track. My thanks to those who are trying to help them become taxpayers.
Interesting

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Nov 17, 2011
It would seem that money would be best spent training these kids to get what they need while they are still in foster care.
enough is enough

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 17, 2011
Folks, please check the Virginia courts records on this guy.... NBC 29 should also consider doing the same before giving questionable organizations like this free advertising that will likely attract vulnerable citizens to donate to their cause!
keen

Bryans Road, MD

#6 Nov 17, 2011
Watch for the Topix trolls, they are a rascally bunch.
This is what we are about

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Nov 17, 2011
It's more about education and about being able to move on when the foster care system just does not seem to get it right. All the money that is poured into foster care after is great but it was being used properly. I mean how do you spend over $100,000 thousand dollars a year on houseing a foster child in a group home? I mean that's just a single child. Not a family!!!! That does not include medical cost and Etc. THAT'S CRAZY!!!! It does cost that much to care for a child. It's a waste of money. It's sad....
Foster children need structure based training that will allow for those of us to grow up and be succesfull before we leave foster care. It starts with the past aged out youth then we can show the foster care system and congress that too much money is being put in all the wrong places. The community can teach all the classes to get youth ready to leave the foster care system. WHy spend over $100,000 a year when you can involve the community. It's crazy.
And for spongeing off tax payers dollars? NO, WE DO NOT ACCEPT GOVERMENT GRANTS!!!!Our goal is to rebuild teh foster care system the right way but we must build proof that it works. Why not work with those of us youth that are sick and tired of the goverment system aka in foster cares words, a ward of the state. Many of us hate state help. We want to be independant. That's why we fundraise the money needed to run aged out with the community helping us, not a bunch of social workers on the clock but passionte soical workers who are off the clock helping aged out in there free time. Thats what aged out is about. pulling businesses together to do what needs to be done.
I own Virginia Ecological Detailing " google it" And Kp1 Financial Development Firm. Alvita that you seen with me works 2 full time jobs and is a volunteer to teach multiple classes. We dont belive in spongeing. We belive in hard work pays off. We belive that we can change the foster care system. Not paying foster parents $2,500 a month plus a tax write off for $2,500 a month. We former foster youth know thats wrong. I see so many people knocking us but knocking us for trying to change the foster care system is wrong. Join us as a volunteer and help us change the foster care system. Not with words and protesting but actionable results and a structured plan on how we can make a difference.

Waynesboro, VA

#8 Nov 17, 2011
Interesting wrote:
It would seem that money would be best spent training these kids to get what they need while they are still in foster care.
I agree with you %100 That's what to many agencies seem to fail to see. Too much money is being thrown into the foster care system. And let me first off say that we are looking for the communities help because we are doing aged out not based on grants and payed socail workers. We are out to prove that you can get the community to back you up in everything you do foster children without having to pay millions of dollars on a foster child in care and yet still nothing seems to be done to prepere those of us on ageing out of the foster care system. That's crazy. Do your reasearch. just type in ageing out of foster care on google and look around the nation. It's not just local it's everywhere. It's sad that over $100,000 dollars is spent soley on a youth in group home per year private org. Thats carzy and we all see it. I mean what single child lives soley off $100,000 dollars a year. Not afamily income. A single child!!!!

I mean would not agree? We do and if we are going to change the foster care system then we need to work those youth ageing out of foster care and those aged out youth. It's INSANE!!!!! Businesses are willing to volunteer to make this happen. Claases offered by volunteers. Not us tax payers money. YES US TAX PAYERS!!!! I own Virgina Ecological Detailing ( google it ) and I own Kp1 Financial Development Firm. The young lady you also seen works two full time jobs and volunteers for aged out. Most people do work two jobs. If youth need a job we help them get one and we are building classes for them to take too. If you read the guys story about gangs on the downtown mall? Well thats why we are buildiing a gang task force / prevention program. To prevent youth from looking at a gang as a family. A gang that peys on youth that are torn from there family and are angry with the police and social workers. A gang that has nothing better to do but post disturbing comments on a post like nbc 29 news. I mean lets get real. Speaking highly on gangs on the mall. Is that where youth should turn for help when there is no one else to turn to?
Again we are not state funded by choice. We fundraise money for our great cause.

Howardsville, VA

#9 Nov 18, 2011
keen wrote:
Watch for the Topix trolls, they are a rascally bunch.
Your right about that one
The Police

Howardsville, VA

#10 Nov 18, 2011
Larry wrote:
Thats what the gangs at the downtown mall are for.
And that's why we have jobs. Just for people like you. Great Job Aged Out!!!!!
enough is enough

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Nov 18, 2011
Once again readers - go to the virginia courts records - do a name search (last, first) on the this guy in Albemarle General and Circuit Court then head over to Charlottesville General District. Unfortunately, Charlottesville Circuit is not yet online.
Then decide whether or not you would want to donate to such a cause. It might also help if these kids got a job and stayed out of jail!
enough is enough

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Nov 19, 2011
This guy is doing a good job? and he is a good guy?

You folks are obviously sheep waiting to be victimized by our local wolves. Thank God there are 'Sheep Dog' out there watching over the rest of us.

Perhaps, you guys can foster some of these troubled adults at your home. I know the Downtown Mall would greatly appreciate your new community outreach.

Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa. Does anyone else know any sheep? or any other wolves who attended 17 elementary schools?

Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa -Baa

God Bless our "SHEEP DOGS"
A Former Foster Child

Howardsville, VA

#15 Nov 20, 2011
I cant belive people are posting such bad stuff on about a guy who has taken a stand to change the foster care system. How can anyone call us free loaders? Or even think that we dont go through the foster care system the way that we do bouncing through so many schools and homes!

I mean, you dont know what it's like to leave foster care and not have anywhere to go nad to not be taught how to make it. Really, most foster youth wont start something like such because we scared to stand out. I'm 19 years old and I left to reunite with my mom but I found out that she was still doing crack and she was in a really abusive relationship in new york. I stuck through for over 3 months before I started to get beat on by her boyfriend. I left because he beat me tehn through me out of the appartment while my mom was just watching him do so. She was so high she could not even move.

I been working full time and I contacted Aged Out for help and they are getting me another job so that it will make 2 full time jobs and I now have temporary houseing and I'm about to get my first months rent paid for. Three weeks now.

I think Aged Out is great and Robert is awesome even though he is super busy he does follow through with what he says.

Thank you Aged Out and I am now also voluteer and member.
Sick of it

AOL

#16 Nov 20, 2011
It just goes to show that these paid foster families only want the money.Once the money is gone,they throw the kids out on the street.They are not family,they are money grubbers.And i am sick of schools not teaching life skills.When are the schools going to start teaching something worthwhile?Its crazy that they have transistion programs in place for convicts but not foster children.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#17 Nov 20, 2011
Sick of it wrote:
And i am sick of schools not teaching life skills.When are the schools going to start teaching something worthwhile?.
What kind of programs would you propose?

Also, at what time of day are we supposed to teach it while teaching our current standards AND the character training we're currently teaching AND trying to see that the students maintain good eating habits AND get enough exercise?
At least someone doing it

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Nov 20, 2011
I love what your doing Robert. I'll be in touch to volunteer and do all I can to help you.Alot of us are proud of you man. Please keep it up. They need you and so you
enough is enough

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Nov 20, 2011
Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa

'At least someone doing it, Charlottesville,VA'

A cop that goes Baa - Baa - Baa - Baa - hope it is not true!
Interesting

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Dec 11, 2011
enough is enough wrote:
Once again readers - go to the virginia courts records - do a name search (last, first) on the this guy in Albemarle General and Circuit Court then head over to Charlottesville General District. Unfortunately, Charlottesville Circuit is not yet online.
Then decide whether or not you would want to donate to such a cause. It might also help if these kids got a job and stayed out of jail!
I went and checked out the records. Are you sure this is the same guy? Gosh--not sure what to think. If it's the same guy, I would say that he would need to get his own ducks in a row before taking on such a task.
Founder of Aged Out

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 20, 2012
[I never got a chance to thank you for your cooment. As you read the article, I started Aged Out because their wasn't anywhere to turn for help that offered me the help I needed to get back on my feet and stop the non sense.
Sometimes people do stupid things when they feel like they don't have a life worth living. Running the streets and hanging out with anyone who is willing to accept them.
Not all aged youth have made similar dumb decions like me. I have met alot of great youth that are doing well since leaving the foster care system and they have just as much support as we all do.
We can be very smart but we have to focus on doing whats right and willing to do what's right like get a job, go back to school and live healthy lives that many people struggle to do aged out or not.
Our lives as aged out youth is no differant then anyone else's other than we don't have as much if any support from friends that wont let us down or family.
Alot of people don't have that though too.
I walked into starting Aged Out with like a blind fold on. I had no idea what I had to do or how to it. I just knew that I am the type of person who very driven and I was on the verge of just giving up on my life.
I felt like I burned so many bridges in life that I had no one to turn to for help. Mainly meaning my former foster families.
You read on the comments here from "enough is enough" saying that I can't pull my life together because I been in too much trouble in my life to change my ways. That's how my support was. I had really wanted to give my life up and just accept the fact that I wiil be a screw up as I have always been told I was. People have said they are afraid to speak great about me because I'm going to screw up agian.
I can't promise anyone that I wont ever screw up again but I can say that my aged out is growing slowly. It's not where I want it to be but I do have people wanting and giving me a chance to turn my life around and to help others traveling down the same road I once traveled.
AGed Out has giving a since of understanding and a desire to help others younger then me to not make the same mistakes I made in life.
Sometimes I even cry to some of things that people have said like when one membersaid to me that he like hanging out with because I keep him out of trouble. Even though he doesn'tlike to listen to me like when I told him to stop stealing and save his money from his full time job. But now he listens to me because he got a charge for it. Exactly what I told would happen and not even a week later he got caught.
When he goes to court I will be right by his side because I been there and I know exactly what he means when he says he feel's like his life is over. That's exactly how I felt too when I first got into trouble and it was to belive that it was not the end of the world.
That's why I started aged out. To be that support that I never had and a mean of keeping metoo out of trouble and away from the wrong crowd too.
I'm just a case manager but I'm friend that accepts evryone of us regardless of each youth does or does not do right. We are all equal and we and I am nobody to judge anybody I work with. It's a great feeling to know that I can pull my life together and I can help others do the same.
Furthermore about the job thing I ran my own company for about 5 years now. You can google it under Virgina Ecological Detailing as seen on 29 news, the hook newspaper, the c-ville weekly and other websites online. Great company that I started from strach and I have been putting in apllications for school to understand business managmentand to not have to rely on my volunteers to have to teach me as much.
Thank you again for your support.
]
Founder of Aged Out

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Mar 20, 2012
Oh the last message was forr D Dee who posted:

Do you not have any compassion? Yes, they need to get jobs or continue with their education, but my children had a back-up plan while that was happening--their family. Maybe these young people need some support too. It's easy to fall into a questionable lifespan if you're living in the park or under the railroad track. My thanks to those who are trying to help them become taxpayers.
J Cook

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Mar 25, 2012
I am a member of Aged Out currently getting help. I been with Aged Out since the first week of November of last year. I real mom gave me a flyer by him and told me to call him. I received my first monthes rent paid for and Robert is my mentor. I am looseing him on Monday because he is going back to school for business management but he is keeping things going while he is gone. I read so many people on here are knocking us for being raised in foster care and needing help. But let me ask you this. Where are we supposed to turn when we dont have rental history to be able to get into an appartment? Where do we turn we need refferences for a job or help filling out the Pelle Grant application to get back into school? It helps having a Case Manager like Robert and other volunteer interns that want to go into the social work field become our case manager. So what Robert has made mistakes in the past. Since he got caught that means he's not cut out for the stupid things he was doing like breaking into snack machine and stealing all the Baby Ruth candy bars for his girl friend when he was 18 years old. He broke into a soap powder machine so he could wash clothes to go and meet his girlfriend the next morning. He did some stupid stuff that we all laugh about. He caught trying to push a motorcycle across the train tracks. He was trying to impress his girl friend when he was 19 years old by acting like he just got his tax returns back. He said felt like he wasn't good enough to have her because he didn't have anything to offer her at the time. He was 19 years old and Charlottesvilles largest black skateboarder. He ran around with a pink teddy and his girlfriends watch on just because she asked him to so other females would know he was taken. The biggest thing on his record was 3 years ago when he had his other business doing mechanical work and he installed built a guys trunk out with subs and amps but and guy gave him $1000.00 deposit for the parts only and then he was to pay him another $1000.00 for the labour. The guy played stupid and said he was only to pay $1000.00. The contract said deposit of $1000.00. I seen it! His mistake was that he didn't put down that he was to pay $1000.00 after he was finished. He kept the car until the guy paid him. He charged with un-authorized use of a motor vehicle. then the guy said he was missing a bunch of stuff out teh car when he got it back. Ofcourse he took everything out that he did and took it back to the store to get some of his money back so they charged him for it saying he was supposed to sue the guy and the fact that he was not able to keep the car unless he took the contract to DMV to get a lien on it. He got in trouble because he kept the guys car and returned the parts to get his money back. He had court appointed attorney that works not on his behalf but for the commonwealth attorney. The commonwealth attorney said it was more of a civil suit and not criminal but he just accepted the a plea agreement. I've been in trouble before and I know that if you dont money to hire a lawyer then your going to end up with a plea bargin to get you to take the charge against you. He said if he wasnt self employed he would fight it. I think having someone there who understands what it's like to get into trouble is better then having a case manager who has no idea what it's like to be out here by yourself with no one to turn too. I told him about who ever has been saying stupid stuff about his record and he said anybody that trys to judge him without knowing him or taking time to research all that he has done that is great like his two businesses then they don't concern him. People need to stop trying to speak about him so badly and know that he is best case manager out herebecause he has been through the foster care system to be able to understand what we need. He's not perfect like a fake case manager that acts like an education is all you need to understand us. Robert doesn't work 9-5. He's 24-7!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staunton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 13 hr gwsbadass 1,360
Debbie varner Sep 26 lmao 1
Christi Reed local Sep 19 laser 1
ronnie pauley Sep 19 yep 1
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Sep 16 Anonymous A 5
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) Sep 14 Don 280
Discreet Hookups Sep 3 Vaguy2014 1

Staunton Jobs

Staunton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Staunton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Staunton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]