Mark Zawhorodny Insanity Ruling

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Every year since the shotgun killings, a judge has found Mark Thomas Zawhorodny legally insane.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
George S

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 17, 2010
 
Paranoid schizophrenia is incurable. Either he has it or he does not.
cvillemom

Scottsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 17, 2010
 

Judged:

3

If he no longer qualifies as mentally insane, he can start doing his time for murder.

I just hope that if they start letting him have supervised visits out in the community, they send along plenty of security with him. We don't need a dangerous escaped murderer on the streets.
mow

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 17, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I hope every one reads this account cause actions like this are liable to increase. The state of Va wants to privatize the mental health care community. That means profits first, care, well, can you afford it? More and more people will not be able to access care for mental health illnesses, and guess what happens if that takes place? You think the downtown mall is bad now..........
molly

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 17, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I can not believe some stupid judge would let this killer out on the street to kill again. UN believable
Wuzzy Fuzzy

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Jessie Gibson wrote:
<quoted text>
Judges do not make such decisions lightly and there is an extensive record regarding this man's illness. There has been no "stupid" judge who has released Zawhorodny, only ignorant posters. You would have a much different take on this if you were either involved in the matter or a member of this man's distraught family, who also tragically lost two of their own.
Hey Jessie G., ues, there are stupid judges. This crazy arse man deserves to be locked up and have the key melted down to liquid. Would you want this nutcase living next door to you? If so, please volunteer to let him move in beside you. I don't want that monster within 100 miles of my family or me. Oh, and don't bother to respond back to me. Nothing you can say will make a difference. A nut is a nut no matter how you spin it.
Also

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Of course you MUST be mentally ill (in some fashion) to murder another human. Does that mean that we should just slap a person on the wrist and feel bad for them when they commit these acts? Does anyone disagree that Jack the Ripper, Jeffery Dahmer, or Ted Bundy were insane? Has anyone considered the pain that the folks this monster shot felt as thier lives slipped away? It is my firm belief that when a "Judge" allows someone like this back into society said "Judge" should be held personally responsible if the offender commits another crime! This trend towards political-correctness and compassion has destroyed many lives and is eating away at this country like a cancer.
Wuzzy Fuzzy

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Also wrote:
Of course you MUST be mentally ill (in some fashion) to murder another human. Does that mean that we should just slap a person on the wrist and feel bad for them when they commit these acts? Does anyone disagree that Jack the Ripper, Jeffery Dahmer, or Ted Bundy were insane? Has anyone considered the pain that the folks this monster shot felt as thier lives slipped away? It is my firm belief that when a "Judge" allows someone like this back into society said "Judge" should be held personally responsible if the offender commits another crime! This trend towards political-correctness and compassion has destroyed many lives and is eating away at this country like a cancer.
Well said. I hope all the bleeding heart idiots who are feeling sympathy for this nut never have to deal with his maniatic behavior. As for the judge, I give him a little slack. He only is doing what he is bound to do by the idiot lawmakers in this country.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

If anyone knows anything at all about this family then you know that they are all insane.
ITz

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
If anyone knows anything at all about this family then you know that they are all insane.
I't a terrible thing to say about a family, but there is a ring of truth to it. Most everyone who lives in the area has heard of this family due to the many incidents they have been involved in.
I have no doubt that he is a paranoid schizoprenic (legally insane) that there is no cure for. There are newer medications that will help with this illness that he is probaby being administered at Western State Hospital. Even so, I don't think he should have supervised visits outside the hospital. If his family wishes to see him, let them visit him. These murders were too horrific for him to have any freedom.
Liz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Any one who is paranoid schizophrenic is a danger to society because when they feel better, they decide that they don't need to take their meds and then they go and hurt someone badly or kill them. I can sympathize with the family of this man, however the safety of society should overrule their wanting their loved one home.
Greene Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 18, 2010
 
I would prefer he not move next to me if he is at any time unattended or unmedicated.
mow

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Liz wrote:
Any one who is paranoid schizophrenic is a danger to society because when they feel better, they decide that they don't need to take their meds and then they go and hurt someone badly or kill them. I can sympathize with the family of this man, however the safety of society should overrule their wanting their loved one home.
Sorry Liz but not all people suffering from schizophrenia are a danger. Just like any other ailment it comes in differing degrees. Some deal with schizo-effective disorders other a very treatable degree of the disorder. The biggest problem with mental health issues is the total ignorance on the part of the public. 25% of the population deal, or don't deal with mental health issues, thats one in four to make it easy for you. The bad part is our insane christian based culture that turns a blind eye to the problem.
luvmy3

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

the problem with this case is va state laws not the judge. I have a close relative who suffers with paranoid schizophrenia and the law states unless they are a danger to themselves or someone else you can not force them to get help and if they commit a crime while in psychosis the can not be held accountable. There have been many occasions when my family knows our relative isnt taking her meds and is in a psychotic state, we have asked that she be admitted to the hospital and get stabilized and they flat out refuse because they feel that she isnt a danger. So basically before you can force them to get help they have to have already done something. I know that if my family member was in one of her psychotic states she is very capable of hurting herself or someone else. Nothing will ever take the pain that the family suffers from there loss. I not only have a relative who suffers the same disease as he does but i work in the mental health field and when a person is truly in a psychotic state and are paranoid they honestly are out of there mind and the are most definetly dangerous. I dont have an answer to the problem and i am on both sides of the fence i hate what my family member endures its a very sad and scarey place but at the same time i do not want her to hurt anyone. The mental health system is a mess and needs to be changed and fixed its not black and white. I also agree with the comment that was made about privatizing mental health care that would be a huge mistake it would only worsen the already broken system. Im going to close by giving you an example after years of psychotic breaks, countless hospital admissions and med changes my relative got on the right meds and was as stabilized as she could be she was doing quite well because her insurance company would know longer pay for that medication and she couldnt afford the hundreds of dollars it would cost out of pocket she had to switch to something else and since then its been a rollercoaster ride there was a time her social worker was called and when the lady got there she wouldnt go in because she was afraid yet the law didnt see her as being a danger.The whole system is a mess.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Liz wrote:
Any one who is paranoid schizophrenic is a danger to society because when they feel better, they decide that they don't need to take their meds and then they go and hurt someone badly or kill them. I can sympathize with the family of this man, however the safety of society should overrule their wanting their loved one home.
I disagree Liz. You are painting with a broad brush.
Not everyone who is schizophrenic is a danger to society. The ones who are not are the ones who understand their illness, see their psychiatrist for scheduled visits, know that they must take medication for the rest of their lives and, do not even think about not taking it just because they are feeling okay. Many hold jobs, have never been convicted of a crime or harmed anyone. They can be your neighbor, a member of your church or your mail carrier. New research and medications are helping with this illness that is still misunderstood by many people. If people are ignorant and irresponsible, then yes they can be a danger to themselves and society. I can give you many more facts if necessary.

I do think that Z should spend the rest of his life in a mental institution, since these murders of his family members were so horrific. And, I do know who this family is as does most everyone in Waynesboro, for reasons that I will not go into.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 18, 2010
 
luvmy3-Is your family familiar with crisis intervention. This is not work that most social workers are trained to deal with, especially if they are afraid to enter a home. An assessment can be made whether the person is in a phychosis even though they have not harmed anyone. The person is asked to go to an institution voluntarily, if they refuse, the police are then called, the person is handcuffed for their safety and LE that escorts them. It only takes the closest family member to have them committed. They are usually kept for several weeks until they are stabilized.
Liz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 18, 2010
 
Can you guarantee that the ones who understand their problem will take their meds thru their lives without missing any because they feel better? We had a woman living with us who was bipolar and she would regular go off her meds because she liked the attention it got her. When she disappeared one night and no one went looking for her, she decided she wasn't geting enough attention at our house and moved into the salvation army where she had people who wouldn't take her going off her meds. The point is that they who have severe mental issues can't be trusted to function correctly i society and therefor for the greater good should be under constant supervision by professionals.
find Margaret White

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 18, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Jessie Gibson wrote:
<quoted text>
Judges do not make such decisions lightly and there is an extensive record regarding this man's illness. There has been no "stupid" judge who has released Zawhorodny, only ignorant posters. You would have a much different take on this if you were either involved in the matter or a member of this man's distraught family, who also tragically lost two of their own.
In one sense I agree with you in that the family has suffered quite abit, also on the issue of the judge. They don't make the laws, they only apply it. On the other hand, Mark should not be released. I've known this family my entire life. He has always had a violent and sick streak. As in "sick" he has a thing for little girls. By now they gotta know this. The article stated he could be out for years at a time. We all know he won't be monitored. That would cost more than being in an institution. I would like to add that Mike and Becky were the cream of the crop in that family. They both are dead.
find Margaret White

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 18, 2010
 
Bengalandi wrote:
luvmy3-Is your family familiar with crisis intervention. This is not work that most social workers are trained to deal with, especially if they are afraid to enter a home. An assessment can be made whether the person is in a phychosis even though they have not harmed anyone. The person is asked to go to an institution voluntarily, if they refuse, the police are then called, the person is handcuffed for their safety and LE that escorts them. It only takes the closest family member to have them committed. They are usually kept for several weeks until they are stabilized.
that isnt how it works anymore. Do you recall the case in Sherando 10+ years ago concerning the wonder who through boiling grease on her sleeping husband, slit her 7 year old's throat. She then set the house on fire and sat down in the living room drinking coffee. I knew her and the family personally. Her mother and father and siblings were taking her to Valley Mental Health among other places. She refused treatment. They said, "Legally, there was nothing we can do unless she hurts herself or someone else". It's our legislators we should be writng to.
find Margaret White

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 18, 2010
 
I just read Speight was found competent to stand trial. He killed 8 family members. I guess the more people you kill, the more sanity you have. Sorry, No disrespect intended for the surviving Speight family members.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Dec 18, 2010
 
Liz wrote:
Can you guarantee that the ones who understand their problem will take their meds thru their lives without missing any because they feel better? We had a woman living with us who was bipolar and she would regular go off her meds because she liked the attention it got her. When she disappeared one night and no one went looking for her, she decided she wasn't geting enough attention at our house and moved into the salvation army where she had people who wouldn't take her going off her meds. The point is that they who have severe mental issues can't be trusted to function correctly i society and therefor for the greater good should be under constant supervision by professionals.
Is your last sentence reading; i society and therfor for the greater good should be under constant supervision by professionals?

Are you saying that you and society should be under constant supervision by professionals? It's difficult to discern what you mean, since there isn't any punctuation after, "function correctly".????????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Staunton Discussions

Search the Staunton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 23 hr abe 1,350
attorney Help Thu FRED 1
unsolved child murder in 1964-1965 (Jan '09) Apr 16 stellaleadingnews 12
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
Community News Apr 10 jolly jay 1
Hope clinic (Dec '12) Apr 6 long but worth it again 38
Randy Scott Brown Apr 4 family member 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Staunton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Staunton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••