Panhandlers flock to Exit 33

Panhandlers flock to Exit 33

There are 28 comments on the Stateville Record & Landmark story from Jul 15, 2009, titled Panhandlers flock to Exit 33. In it, Stateville Record & Landmark reports that:

Terry Ashman jumped up to catch the three $1 bills floating to the ground. He grabbed them before the driver of the truck turned left off the ramp at Exit 33 off Interstate 77 onto Williamson Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stateville Record & Landmark.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tired of beggers

Mooresville, NC

#1 Jul 16, 2009
We've all been in rough spots but these beggers have made it their job. Some are from the area some are not. If they were as hungry as their signs say they can receive food and hot meals at the local Mooresville Soup Kitchen just 3 miles from the exit. If they need housing they can receive assistance from the Christian Mission. Why don't they visit these places instead of begging?
John is on disability and received a very large disability check an bought a van with it. Another paper dd a big story on his situation and many figured once he received his settlement check he would disappear but he continues to beg. He now parks his van and walks because people got wise of his situation.
This couple with the dog are new to Mooresville and although the are not breaking the law by begging they are breaking the law by living on State Property next to the exit and should be sent off by the police for that violation.
The guy on the south exit - Norman really only wants to work and has had many odd jobs but cannot get regular employment.
Just thinking

Somerset, KY

#2 Jul 20, 2009
It is sad when lazy people get out there begging and then gets a bad name for everyone down on their luck. I refuse to give money to anyone begging but I have had cans of easy open food in the car that I have given to beggars. I want to make sure if they are hungry they at least have food rather than taking the money doing whatever with it. I wish Norman the best at finding a steady job.
Troutman Homeowner

Troutman, NC

#3 Jul 20, 2009
That couple moved down from the exit 42 exit after getting into an argument with the other resident there.
Jack Jackseane Bon Beanie

Pacific, MO

#4 Aug 19, 2009
I wish they would all just move to the west side of Charlotte were they belong!!
RunningWater

Hickory, NC

#5 Aug 28, 2009
There were 2 people at the bottom of the ramp from I-85 to 321 this afternoon with buckets and signs. They were taking donations for some church, but I doubt it was legitimate. This exit is another popular hangout for beggars.
Desert Rat

Ellenboro, NC

#6 Aug 29, 2009
Thats why I carry a ball bat and 45!
DontBsoArrogant

Mooresville, NC

#7 Sep 3, 2009
If you have a steady job today consider yourself lucky and blessed. There are too many who want to work and are good hard-working people that can't find any job. Everyone has their desperation point!
RunningWater

Hickory, NC

#8 Sep 4, 2009
I feel bad having to ignore the beggars because I was always taught to help others, but when I can't separate those that are truly in need from the ones that are just looking for their next fix, none of them will get any of my money.

It's sort of like donating to the United Way and some of the money winding up with people that bilk the system.

It's a crap shoot either way you turn, so until things get better, I will continue to donate to my favorite charity - SELF!!!

God Bless you all

Since: Aug 09

Mooresville, NC

#9 Sep 5, 2009
DontBsoArrogant wrote:
If you have a steady job today consider yourself lucky and blessed. There are too many who want to work and are good hard-working people that can't find any job. Everyone has their desperation point!
I call BS on "can't find ANY job" my brother just moved in with me and he has found a job after barely a week of searching.
unknown

Mooresville, NC

#10 Sep 23, 2009
I sometime read articles and wonder if you are looking at situations or just judging. I've talk to people whom I know were hunger, because monies they were getting were going toward bills because they couldn't work, the kitchens or other meals will not last all day. Y ou have to be very poor to get any help now days and no one trust you.You'll that have much should not judge the book by it cover.
hmmmm

Salisbury, NC

#11 Sep 23, 2009
When I was looking for work I was told several times that I was "over qualified" because I have a Bachelors Degree in elementary education. If I was applying for the job, willing to work the job, willing to accept the pay offered to me, and had the minimum qualifications, how could someone say with a straight face say that I am "over qualified"? This happened more than once. There are many people out there that this is happening to? It is a hard time for everyone.

There is a great organization called www.angelfoodministeries.com where people are able to get a good amount of food for very little that will help out throughout the month. Rather than giving someone the end result it is best to teach them how to get it on their own.

Pacific, MO

#12 Oct 12, 2009
Yeeeaaahhh.... Maybe you better understand this guy has a car and drives around Mooresville you idiot!!
DontBsoArrogant wrote:

Pacific, MO

#13 Oct 12, 2009
On December 21, 2012 none of us will have to worry anymore about jobs anymore. THE END IS NEAR people!!!

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#14 Oct 12, 2009
Gentlemen, we all know what must be done.

Location hidden

#15 Oct 25, 2009
Hint: Buckets of water.
targeted

Salisbury, NC

#16 Oct 27, 2009
Recently I was closing up my small office and a guy in a beige camry came in giving me a sob story that he couldn't afford to get to VA to his mother's funeral and he started crying and showed me a "fake" drivers license. I was sympathetic and gave him all I had in my wallet and told him I had no way of knowing if he was really down and out but that God did. He said "I don't mess with Him", hugged me and left. I met several others who were taken by him with a different story. SOOO...beware.He travels from Hickory to Statesville and on to Mooresville.

Location hidden

#17 Oct 27, 2009
Cold water.
Lilly O

Charlotte, NC

#18 Oct 28, 2009
Your all strange.

Location hidden

#19 Oct 29, 2009
Lilly O wrote:
Your all strange.
Your grammar sucks.
broke

AOL

#20 Oct 31, 2009
will repair your racecar for food

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Statesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lynn Rollins Oct 3 answerforit 7
Claremont self storage auction!!!!!!! (Jun '16) Oct 2 concerned 3
Looking for Picture of my Brother that was lost (Oct '14) Oct 2 wondering 2
You are weighed Sep '17 Joshua 1
Old House behind Signal Hill Mall? (Jan '16) Sep '17 Laura 8
News Lincoln County Concert Association announces li... Sep '17 robin 5
lori caroll Sep '17 mystery nan 2

Statesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance