NY Police Shoot Woman in Stabbing Incident

Full story: CBS News 10
Officers shot and killed a 65-year-old woman after they said she stabbed her neighbor at least eight times in an apparent dispute over the woman's cat, and then refused their orders to drop her knife. Full Story
Donnie

Shippingport, PA

#1 Feb 17, 2006
They waited too long to shoot her and didn't shoot her enough times. Marshmellow Bloomberg is going to have to toughen up his police force.
kat

Hudson, NY

#2 Feb 18, 2006
If the police can't get ahold of a 65 year old women, they need to get a new police force. why don't they go after the gangs like that why cause there afarid to go near gangs they might get hurt.
Michael

Staten Island, NY

#3 Feb 18, 2006
Kat you are obviously clueless as to what the police are taught and how they are trained. I dont know how they do it in Catskill New york, but the NYPD has much more stringent rules and regulations governing their use of firearms. They adopt New York State laws, as well as those given to them to the city. The number one rule about police work is that you go home in one piece at the end of the day. A knife can be used in many different manners. Not only can you cut or stab, it can also be thrown. You are also probably ignorant to the fact that these officers were in the narrow hallways of an apartment building when an emotionally disturbed women wielding a knife came at them. You do NOT wrestle with or try to disarm ANYONE with a knife. You are forced to do something that every cop prays they will never have to do during their carreer. What those officers were presented with was a situation that they train for and have to react to in a matter of seconds. They did everything exactly by the book. Three people were at risk when that women exited her apartment with a knife...2 cops and a civilian. You dont take a chance of trying to wrestle a knife away from her, no matter her age. EDP's (emotionally disturbed persons) are a serious threat to the police and public. You should thank these officers for their service to you. As far as the Gang comment...although I shouldnt even dignify the remark, the NYPD has a Gang taskforce whcih aggressively monitors gangs. However the constitution provides people with certain rights...one of which being free speech. Any gang member can show his colors (wear his beads) and proudly state that he is a member of a gang if he likes. You can not simply stop and interrogate a gang member or stop and frisk a gang member simply because he is one. Would you want the cops to violate your civil rights...I think not...gang members are afforded those same rights. Learn the facts and circumstances before you blabber uneducated nonsense next time lady...
Barbara

New York, NY

#4 Feb 18, 2006
kat wrote:
If the police can't get ahold of a 65 year old women, they need to get a new police force. why don't they go after the gangs like that why cause there afarid to go near gangs they might get hurt.
I agree with you. I might go crazy if someone stabbed my cat in the eye. Well maybe not that crazy but obviously there was something wrong with the other women also.
george

AOL

#5 Feb 19, 2006
A 65 year old woman with a knife...why do the police carry mace and a martial arts type nightstick. What did they learn in the 9 months at the academy...ticket writing skills.
kat

Hudson, NY

#6 Feb 19, 2006
michael, Don't tell me about cops going by the book. Im sick of hearing that. I have a friend that was chased by a cop and shot in the back, now how was he threating to the cop no gun no knife, tell me how come there so trigger happy, and get away with it all the time. They have stun guns, clubs, mace, and most of the time they have a partner with them. How about the guy that they shot in the street wielding a knife, with 20 cops around him, tell me he was a threat, noway buddy. If you don't like my education to bad I might not be as writing smart as you but i am pretty street smart and that is what counts. you probley have a collage edudation but it means nothing to me some of you are street stupid no comon sense. so next time you blabber your mouth off think first.How i write or talk is not the point.
nyone

New York, NY

#7 Feb 19, 2006
Glorified hoods that's all,paid on top of that.
Debbie

Fredericksburg, TX

#8 Mar 4, 2006
Michael wrote:
Kat you are obviously clueless as to what the police are taught and how they are trained. I dont know how they do it in Catskill New york, but the NYPD has much more stringent rules and regulations governing their use of firearms. They adopt New York State laws, as well as those given to them to the city. The number one rule about police work is that you go home in one piece at the end of the day. A knife can be used in many different manners. Not only can you cut or stab, it can also be thrown. You are also probably ignorant to the fact that these officers were in the narrow hallways of an apartment building when an emotionally disturbed women wielding a knife came at them. You do NOT wrestle with or try to disarm ANYONE with a knife. You are forced to do something that every cop prays they will never have to do during their carreer. What those officers were presented with was a situation that they train for and have to react to in a matter of seconds. They did everything exactly by the book. Three people were at risk when that women exited her apartment with a knife...2 cops and a civilian. You dont take a chance of trying to wrestle a knife away from her, no matter her age. EDP's (emotionally disturbed persons) are a serious threat to the police and public. You should thank these officers for their service to you. As far as the Gang comment...although I shouldnt even dignify the remark, the NYPD has a Gang taskforce whcih aggressively monitors gangs. However the constitution provides people with certain rights...one of which being free speech. Any gang member can show his colors (wear his beads) and proudly state that he is a member of a gang if he likes. You can not simply stop and interrogate a gang member or stop and frisk a gang member simply because he is one. Would you want the cops to violate your civil rights...I think not...gang members are afforded those same rights. Learn the facts and circumstances before you blabber uneducated nonsense next time lady...
Michael, after reading all the posts on this string, it is painfully obvious that you and I seem to be the only law enforcement "influence" here. All that you say is correct in regards to training, etc. We were taught in the academy that anyone "less" than 5 feet from you with a knife has already created a very dangerous "space" for the officer...I have a nice 3 inch scar on my right forearm that proves that theory to be true...in a foot pursuit down a narrow dark alley...back up enroute but not close enough..suspect stopped and spun around and I was too close to draw ANY weapon..mace, PR24, asp or my pistol...so I had no other choice but to put the habias grabass on him...I got cut and a few stitches, but he did go to jail for his initial crime with assaulting a peace officer on the list after that. You stay safe out there and I will do the same...all we can hope for is someday everyone truly understanding what cops really do out there...as long as there is ignorance there will always be snide remarks...I just wish all these hard nose cop haters would experience just ONE week of what we really do...don't condemn someone till you've walked a mile in their Hi-Techs!!!
Mike

Pleasanton, CA

#9 Mar 5, 2006
The chick got what was coming to her!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#13 May 20, 2012
Duck !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staten-Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) 1 hr Jimmy Rustle 676
Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 14 hr truth 759
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 liberalP 6,443
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 19 Robert Burns 16,790
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 positronium 6,389
Secret Coupon for We Got Lites Sep 19 daviud11 1
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Sep 19 No one 440
•••

Staten-Island News Video

•••
Staten-Island Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Staten-Island Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Staten-Island People Search