Post office: Expect big cuts starting in mid-May

There are 12 comments on the SavannahNow story from Feb 23, 2012, titled Post office: Expect big cuts starting in mid-May. In it, SavannahNow reports that:

With no financial relief in sight, the U.S. Postal Service is pushing ahead with planned cuts to more than 260 mail processing centers around the nation, part of a billion-dollar cost-cutting effort that will slow delivery of first-class mail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SavannahNow.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Feb 24, 2012
$.50 stamps are coming too. Americans will make major changes when stamps cost $.50/stamp.

I was forced to use the banks electronic payment system because payments were being lost "in the mail".

I was harassed by U.S. mail delivery people (who were probably taking instructions from local police).

That being said, I still need and depend on the U.S. mail system. After 9/11 and because of it, the USPS began increasing security (rather than efficiency). Bush is the cause of its demise. They typical Post Office employee thinks the Govt can dictate to its CUSTOMERS, but this is not reality with at least two competitors providing mail service (FedEx and UPS).

The USPS is hated by many Americans - who would have thought it would self destruct.

“You better be nice to me...”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Feb 24, 2012
Tory II wrote:
$.50 stamps are coming too. Americans will make major changes when stamps cost $.50/stamp.
I was forced to use the banks electronic payment system because payments were being lost "in the mail".
I was harassed by U.S. mail delivery people (who were probably taking instructions from local police).
That being said, I still need and depend on the U.S. mail system. After 9/11 and because of it, the USPS began increasing security (rather than efficiency). Bush is the cause of its demise. They typical Post Office employee thinks the Govt can dictate to its CUSTOMERS, but this is not reality with at least two competitors providing mail service (FedEx and UPS).
The USPS is hated by many Americans - who would have thought it would self destruct.
You make some good points...over the Christmas holidays I mailed quite a few packages of gifts as my famly is all over the US.My first packages were lost and never recovered( I didn't insure them"my bad"),after learning my lesson I insured the other packages and they all arrived at their destination.

I have never had a package lost with UPS or FED EX.

Location hidden

#3 Feb 24, 2012
Sorry for the double post.

Location hidden

#4 Feb 24, 2012
There was a double post...really there was lol.
not saying

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Feb 24, 2012
lost in the mail I guess
Talking Tina wrote:
There was a double post...really there was lol.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#6 Feb 24, 2012
Double posts are automatically deleted.
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 24, 2012
Tory II wrote:
Bush is the cause of its demise. They typical Post Office employee thinks the Govt can dictate to its CUSTOMERS, but this is not reality with at least two competitors providing mail service (FedEx and UPS).
lol, good grief...

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#8 Feb 24, 2012
not saying wrote:
lost in the mail I guess<
not funny wrote:
Characters left

Owensboro, KY

#9 Mar 11, 2012
Can FedEx and UPS legally deliver first class mail? And junk mail? Or only parcels?

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#10 Mar 11, 2012
Characters left wrote:
Can FedEx and UPS legally deliver first class mail? And junk mail? Or only parcels?
They can deliver anything.
Tin foil hat

Lindenhurst, NY

#11 Mar 11, 2012
Tory II wrote:
Tell me more!
South Beach

Washington, DC

#12 Mar 13, 2012
Characters left wrote:
not for 45 cents!!! And not to every door in the United States!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staten-Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IM LOOKING FOR MY Wife Carolyn lombardo my wife Sat Curious 3
city carrier assistant is a nightmare job (May '13) May 20 elf 21
News Two Members of Gambino Crime Family Charged in ... (Apr '09) May 14 genarro langella 25
Drugs Inc. TV show May 14 Lucky louch 2
News Man, 30, shot dead in Staten Island after argum... May 10 FBI has terrorist... 1
News Rev. Al Sharpton demands justice for Eric Garne... (Jul '14) May 9 the Ace of Spades 74
News Prosecutor in Garner case nears election to Con... May 5 Just Saying 2
More from around the web

Staten-Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]