Archbishop-designate Dolan celebrates...

Archbishop-designate Dolan celebrates vespers service

There are 25 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Archbishop-designate Dolan celebrates vespers service. In it, Newsday reports that:

Archbishop of New York-designate Timothy Dolan greets parishioners during a Solemn Vespers ahead of his installation as New York Archbishop at St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cameltoe

New York, NY

#1 Apr 15, 2009
Oh thank god. I read the headline and thought that Charles or James Dolan was promoted to Archbishop. Charles bankrupts The Wiz while James Dolan mis-manages the Knicks. Only the Dolans would be able to collapse a major organized religion.
JesusNEVERexiste d

New York, NY

#2 Apr 15, 2009
Why the this attention to men is skirts, and fish heads, are we going back to the dark ages, and book burning and burning people at the stake over this myth and the fictional New Testament. So fictional is this fictional "holy book" that the Catholic Church burned thousands at the stake should they translate or read it less it fictions be exposed as they are now, unfortunately there is so much money for these priestly conmen and the education the lay people receive so poor in developing critical faculties this nonsense holds on like the morning fog over a swamp.
rVw

Edison, NJ

#3 Apr 15, 2009
If people refer to our President as 'Obama'..then I suppose I can refer to the new Cardinal as 'Dolan'? Just a thought.

As long as the Catholic leaders are stuck in another century, they will continue to lose their 'flock'.
Oppose birth control do you? Oppose divorce do you? Oppose sex do you(except to make babies).
For those of us that are pro choice (a woman's right to choose) we also would LOVE to see abortion a thing of the past. But, unfortunately, we will not. For those 'flockers' that actually listen-if they become pregnant and don't want to be-a huge percentage will continue to have abortions. If you do not educate the next generation-abortion will thrive.
Thanks CARDINAL Dolan and those before you. GOOD JOB! Always great at shooting yourself in the foot and.....
Dan

Omaha, NE

#5 Apr 15, 2009
rVw wrote:
If people refer to our President as 'Obama'..then I suppose I can refer to the new Cardinal as 'Dolan'? Just a thought.
As long as the Catholic leaders are stuck in another century, they will continue to lose their 'flock'.
Oppose birth control do you? Oppose divorce do you? Oppose sex do you(except to make babies).
For those of us that are pro choice (a woman's right to choose) we also would LOVE to see abortion a thing of the past. But, unfortunately, we will not. For those 'flockers' that actually listen-if they become pregnant and don't want to be-a huge percentage will continue to have abortions. If you do not educate the next generation-abortion will thrive.
Thanks CARDINAL Dolan and those before you. GOOD JOB! Always great at shooting yourself in the foot and.....
How much more education would be required, in your opinion? I mean, more than people get now?

More people know about condoms than know who their congressional reps are. I'm not sure that there are hordes of people around who don't know where babies come from.

Is the RCC supposed to join in the condom chorus? Now, that message is being spread by the full resources of the state, to little avail it seems based on the latest figures for out of wedlock births (40% or something).
rVw

Edison, NJ

#6 Apr 15, 2009
How much more education would be required, in your opinion? I mean, more than people get now?
ABSOLUTELY. DO YOU KNOW THE STATISTICS OF TEEN PREGNANCY (AND PRE TEEN)? CHECK IT OUT.

More people know about condoms than know who their congressional reps are. I'm not sure that there are hordes of people around who don't know where babies come from.
YES, CONDOMS-PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT CONDOMS. BUT YOU MUST 'USE THEM'(OR OTHER FORMS OF BIRTH CONTROL).

Is the RCC supposed to join in the condom chorus?
THEY'LL JOIN A CHORUS ALRIGHT..BUT NOT THE BIRTH CONTROL ROCK. THEY'VE CHANTED THE SAME MESSAGE-AND LOOK AT WHAT A FAILURE THEY'VE BEEN. AS FAR AS 'TEENS' KNOWING THEIR STATE REPRESENTATIVE..THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THE PRESIDENT IS.
Now, that message is being spread by the full resources of the state, to little avail it seems based on the latest figures for out of wedlock births (40% or something).
WHAT MESSAGE?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#7 Apr 15, 2009
rVw wrote:
ABSOLUTELY. DO YOU KNOW THE STATISTICS OF TEEN PREGNANCY (AND PRE TEEN)? CHECK IT OUT.
YES, CONDOMS-PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT CONDOMS. BUT YOU MUST 'USE THEM'(OR OTHER FORMS OF BIRTH CONTROL).
Is the RCC supposed to join in the condom chorus?
THEY'LL JOIN A CHORUS ALRIGHT..BUT NOT THE BIRTH CONTROL ROCK. THEY'VE CHANTED THE SAME MESSAGE-AND LOOK AT WHAT A FAILURE THEY'VE BEEN. AS FAR AS 'TEENS' KNOWING THEIR STATE REPRESENTATIVE..THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THE PRESIDENT IS.
Now, that message is being spread by the full resources of the state, to little avail it seems based on the latest figures for out of wedlock births (40% or something).
WHAT MESSAGE?
The condom message.

If teens heeded the RCC message, the issue would be lessened in severity. They don't do it, but it appears that sex ed alone isn't cutting it.
BANANAS

Edison, NJ

#8 Apr 15, 2009
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The condom message.
If teens heeded the RCC message, the issue would be lessened in severity. They don't do it, but it appears that sex ed alone isn't cutting it.
No sex ed alone isn't cutting it..but I think it helps-when parents don't step up to their responsibility and the church is telling their congregants that it's a No No...the schools step in (if they're allowed to).
Dan

Omaha, NE

#9 Apr 15, 2009
BANANAS wrote:
<quoted text>
No sex ed alone isn't cutting it..but I think it helps-when parents don't step up to their responsibility and the church is telling their congregants that it's a No No...the schools step in (if they're allowed to).
The parental responsibility is the big piece of the puzzle IMO.

The schools shouldn't have to do it.
nuts2u

Lincolndale, NY

#10 Apr 15, 2009
"He has pledged to defend the church's stance opposing gay marriage"

I guess he'd rather have them become priests.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#11 Apr 15, 2009
BANANAS wrote:
<quoted text>
In all seriousness, if someone's waiting around for a church (any church) to help them conduct a 'safe sex for teens' seminar anytime soon, they will be sorely disappointed (and shouldn't be surprised).
rVw

Edison, NJ

#12 Apr 15, 2009
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
In all seriousness, if someone's waiting around for a church (any church) to help them conduct a 'safe sex for teens' seminar anytime soon, they will be sorely disappointed (and shouldn't be surprised).
I totally agree-I don't expect the RCC to do anything that would help women (afterall, it's still a man's world to them)..but the Church wants their parish filled to the brim (and with the young)-how's that going to happen?. They're archaic...and not connected to the real world (unless of course-they are practicing safe sex)!
They have ads out now to get people to Confessionals-personally-with catchy nonsense, I think it's digusting and I think these priests get off on it.
Teach safe sex, counsel couples if you must without the threat of 'hell' hanging over their heads. And abortion-women will terminate pregnancies and that's just the way it is and as long as abortion remains legal, it will remain safe-despite the RCC and their efforts to make it back alley (again).
rVw and BANANAS

Edison, NJ

#13 Apr 15, 2009
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The parental responsibility is the big piece of the puzzle IMO.
The schools shouldn't have to do it.
They shouldn't be the substitute parent-sometimes though-a teacher is 'safer' to talk to than a parent-no judgements-and many many inner city kids have no one at all-it has to be the school-but their education usually (and unfortunately) comes from the street..which is very bad and makes for very very young mothers who are not good at parenting-they had no role model and the cyle of pregnancy and abuse continues.
rVw and BANANAS

Edison, NJ

#14 Apr 15, 2009
the CYCLE of pregnancy and abuse continues.
rVw and BANANAS

Edison, NJ

#15 Apr 15, 2009
nuts2u wrote:
"He has pledged to defend the church's stance opposing gay marriage"
I guess he'd rather have them become priests.
Vermont just passed the same sex marriage law and NY is next-gay men that become priests (very different from the pedophiles-please don't confuse the two) are so steeped in their 'religion', they honestly think that their (dirty) sexual feelings will go away-it's not dirty at all-but that's what they're taught-dirty and abnormal. Pedophile priests are the real problem (they are NOT gay-just abusers of trusting children who become sometimes very dysfunctional adults-afterall, they were raped).
Dan

Omaha, NE

#16 Apr 15, 2009
rVw wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree-I don't expect the RCC to do anything that would help women (afterall, it's still a man's world to them)..but the Church wants their parish filled to the brim (and with the young)-how's that going to happen?. They're archaic...and not connected to the real world (unless of course-they are practicing safe sex)!
They have ads out now to get people to Confessionals-personally-with catchy nonsense, I think it's digusting and I think these priests get off on it.
Teach safe sex, counsel couples if you must without the threat of 'hell' hanging over their heads. And abortion-women will terminate pregnancies and that's just the way it is and as long as abortion remains legal, it will remain safe-despite the RCC and their efforts to make it back alley (again).
Rhetoric isn't really a solution to a problem.

You seem steeped in it-I got that the RCC hates women, uses them as breeding stock, Confession titillates priests, and abortion should be safe, legal and out of the back-alleys all in one post.

Having subjected us to all that, you happily accept as a given that sex-ed and condom availability alone will serve the problem, when it clearly is not.
Marsand

Jackson Heights, NY

#17 Apr 15, 2009
One good thing about gay marriage. It solves the abortion issue.
Marsand

Jackson Heights, NY

#18 Apr 15, 2009
Hooray for gay. Keep it that way.

How'd they ever come up with the name gay?

Gay for sodomite

Right to choose for baby murderer.

That song " I did it my way" surely applies.
rVw and BANANAS

Edison, NJ

#19 Apr 15, 2009
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Rhetoric isn't really a solution to a problem.
You seem steeped in it-I got that the RCC hates women, uses them as breeding stock, Confession titillates priests, and abortion should be safe, legal and out of the back-alleys all in one post.
Having subjected us to all that, you happily accept as a given that sex-ed and condom availability alone will serve the problem, when it clearly is not.
Never said that..said it would help.
I'm glad you got 'all that' in my post. Don't care if you agree or not.
I guess I've said what I wanted and will not belabor this any longer. Good luck Cardinal-you'll need it.

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#21 Apr 15, 2009
This bigot should be OPPOSED IN EVERY WAY by ALL Americans, Catholic, and Non-Catholic alike !

He is OPPOSED to Freedom Of Religion.

He is UN-AMARICAN.

He is EVIL.

OPPOSE HIM !!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#22 Apr 15, 2009
rVw and BANANAS wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said that..said it would help.
I'm glad you got 'all that' in my post. Don't care if you agree or not.
I guess I've said what I wanted and will not belabor this any longer. Good luck Cardinal-you'll need it.
Sorry you got mad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Staten-Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charles Fall campaign aide accused of sexually ... Nov '18 The truth prevails 2
News New York finally corrects misspelling of Verraz... Oct '18 Anwar al Awlaki 2
News The new Mafia is wising up and keeping quiet Sep '18 6 to 6 bouncer 1
News Woman Climbs Statue of Liberty to Protest Famil... Sep '18 SuppaFart 35
News Therese Okoumou, charged with climbing the Stat... Aug '18 Just saying 2
News FBI seeks help to find stolen art depicting Old... Aug '18 jehovahCordell 3
city carrier assistant is a nightmare job (May '13) Aug '18 MrsTBlackwood 145

Staten-Island Jobs

Personal Finance

Staten-Island Mortgages