Public opposes new animal research deal

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A Montcalm County citizens committee is trying to figure out the next step in its relationship with a controversial animal testing center.
Comments
1 - 20 of 263 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2010
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Max

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

wow

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

There are a lot of unanswered questions here and a real lack of investigative reporting. While "animal research" has gotten a bad name, animal research is now well regulated, monitored, and humane. I have worked in research labs with animals (and I also volunteer at the Humane Society). I would MUCH RATHER see an animal go to a research facility I've been at than see that animal euthanized because of a lack of adopters. Where I worked, the animals were well cared for, treated much like pets, had excellent nutrition and general care, regular vet visits, etc.

Animals where I worked did things like learn mazes (for rewards!), learn other tasks, and once in a while have substances tested. For example, we did a trial of ginko biloba to see if it really would improve memory in elderly animals - lots of people take ginko that have no idea what it does! By the way, there was no memory difference for the old animals taking ginko as compared to old animals that didn't take it.

I was not able to find information on R & R and thus could not find information about who they sell the animals to. Unless we know who buys the animals and how they are treated (and there are ethical guidelines for all animal research that must be adhered to or funding will be stopped), we cannot pass judgment on this issue.

This appears like a typical yellow-journalism, sensationalistic article by the local news, designed to inflame readers. I think it is also ethically WRONG for this type of reporting to go on - it may needlessly be getting people enraged, it could prevent valuable research from occurring, and MOST importantly it simply does not give us the facts.

If we knew beyond a doubt R & R mistreated animals or sold them to unscrupulous researchers - then stop giving them animals. The thing is, we don't know!
Animal Girl

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

wow wrote:
There are a lot of unanswered questions here and a real lack of investigative reporting. While "animal research" has gotten a bad name, animal research is now well regulated, monitored, and humane. I have worked in research labs with animals (and I also volunteer at the Humane Society). I would MUCH RATHER see an animal go to a research facility I've been at than see that animal euthanized because of a lack of adopters. Where I worked, the animals were well cared for, treated much like pets, had excellent nutrition and general care, regular vet visits, etc.
Animals where I worked did things like learn mazes (for rewards!), learn other tasks, and once in a while have substances tested. For example, we did a trial of ginko biloba to see if it really would improve memory in elderly animals - lots of people take ginko that have no idea what it does! By the way, there was no memory difference for the old animals taking ginko as compared to old animals that didn't take it.
I was not able to find information on R & R and thus could not find information about who they sell the animals to. Unless we know who buys the animals and how they are treated (and there are ethical guidelines for all animal research that must be adhered to or funding will be stopped), we cannot pass judgment on this issue.
This appears like a typical yellow-journalism, sensationalistic article by the local news, designed to inflame readers. I think it is also ethically WRONG for this type of reporting to go on - it may needlessly be getting people enraged, it could prevent valuable research from occurring, and MOST importantly it simply does not give us the facts.
If we knew beyond a doubt R & R mistreated animals or sold them to unscrupulous researchers - then stop giving them animals. The thing is, we don't know!
Wow - I'm impressed, NOT, The key question here is- after you got done teaching them "mazes" (was that dogs, or what species of animal?)and feeding them ginko, then WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THEM?
Melody

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

"Public" certainly does not include me. I believe that animals were provided by God for our use. If that use includes research for our advancement, fine!
jenn

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

They are euthanize then sent to the necropsy lab.
Embryo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Let me get this right....you oppose research on animals, but you fund research that disposes of me?
ridiculousness

Stanton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

So, how many millins of pets are dumped at shelters around the country, and euthanized because no one wants them, theyre old, or mean. Why not use them for valuable research, and extend their life. Or else the shelter will euthanize them to prevent overcrowding. So what, the shelter sells them to R&R and they sell them to most likely a university or company that takes them to be used for research. If the animals are treated humanely, who cares. Leave R&R and the shelter alone.
The same people that support this "demonization" of a man and his business, as well as people at the county shelter, are the same monsters who will vote yes for abortion and not bat an eye in a case involving child abuse. Your hypocrites. Besides, humans are more important than people, and if it takes animals killed to do research to better our lives, fine.
animal lover

Garden City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

I agree with animal girl from my hometown. What R&R are doing is wrong. And to melody, have you even read the bible? from what I read God did put animals on this earth to be eaten not to be tested. So I guess you think its ok too kill whales for blubber to put in the lipsticks? It's one thing to kill an animal for food but its a whole different thing to kill them for research or cosmetic purpose. If they really want to research things, maybe they could use jail inmates on death row instead of an animal.
What

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Embryo wrote:
Let me get this right....you oppose research on animals, but you fund research that disposes of me?
What does this have to do with this story?
Carol Manos

Burton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Come to a meeting, learn something, then write a comment. If you're not going to the meetings or reading about the full issues on www.cccmontcalm.org , then you have no business posting comments. Go post a cookie recipe or something. Cuz that's about all you should be doing if you are completely clueless!
George

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Why don't the CCC Montcalm start a human society in the County.
kittykat68

Belmont, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

wow wrote:
I was not able to find information on R & R and thus could not find information about who they sell the animals to. Unless we know who buys the animals and how they are treated (and there are ethical guidelines for all animal research that must be adhered to or funding will be stopped), we cannot pass judgment on this issue....The thing is, we don't know!
First of all, you should attend a meeting, and then maybe you would have a clue. Half the problem is that NO ONE can get information on R&R (other than their growing list of USDA complaints) because R&R refuses to answer the questions -- who euthanizes, where, when, what happens to the animals. Silence speaks volumes. Don't purport to use the Humane Society to make you an authority. It's scary to me that you volunteer there, and I know of what I speak, since I was there for 8 years. People who passively go along with things because they fail to educate themselves really have no point speaking out until they know the facts and can speak intelligently.

The fact here is that these animals are PETS. They are not given to the shelter, or taken in as strays, to be used for research. To deem an animal "unadoptable" because it got lost or someone could no longer care for it is irresponsible and just plain wrong. The shelter is NOT making every attempt to evaluate these animals or even try to get them adopted. The dealer wants the friendliest, healthiest dogs because they score the most money from research labs. The shelter is giving these dogs to R&R before the rescues can even get them and believe me, they are working to get every last animal out of there.

There is an underworld between Class B dealers where they sell/trade animals amongst themselves and where the animals end up is anybody's guess. They aren't concerned with saving anybody, except their own bottom line.

If you want to be involved in the testing of ginko and other products' effects on humans, I suggest you offer yourself up as a test subject. You have a choice, these animals do not. And don't kid yourself, we aren't talking about "unwanted" animals--in fact, the rescues are having to fight to get them out of R&R's clutches. They're a commodity and if being a dealer didn't pay, R&R wouldn't give a rip about the almighty research.

“Just another opinion”

Since: Mar 09

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Melody wrote:
"Public" certainly does not include me. I believe that animals were provided by God for our use. If that use includes research for our advancement, fine!
people like you make me sick

I have more respect for animals than I do for humans because animals treat humans more humanely than other humans do.

If you want things to be tested on to further human advancement SIGN UP YOURSELF.
3boyz

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Just go to the local abortion clinics and take the remains to be tested. Since this is no longer a criminal act, who would complain? We can save the animals! Down with those unwanted little people!
kittykat68

Belmont, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

ridiculousness wrote:
So, how many millins of pets are dumped at shelters around the country, and euthanized because no one wants them, theyre old, or mean. Why not use them for valuable research, and extend their life. Or else the shelter will euthanize them to prevent overcrowding. So what, the shelter sells them to R&R and they sell them to most likely a university or company that takes them to be used for research. If the animals are treated humanely, who cares. Leave R&R and the shelter alone.
The same people that support this "demonization" of a man and his business, as well as people at the county shelter, are the same monsters who will vote yes for abortion and not bat an eye in a case involving child abuse. Your hypocrites. Besides, humans are more important than people, and if it takes animals killed to do research to better our lives, fine.
a) They don't want old or mean animals. Duh.

b) Good idea--let's extend their life in a research lab. Stellar.

c) I'd vote yes for abortion every day. No offense, but there's clearly some people who should not be reproducing.

d) "Besides, humans are more important than people". Enough said.

A mind is such a terrible thing to waste.
Animal Girl

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

3boyz wrote:
Just go to the local abortion clinics and take the remains to be tested. Since this is no longer a criminal act, who would complain? We can save the animals! Down with those unwanted little people!
This is not"animals vs fetus".(Wasn't that on America's Funniest Home Videos last week?) And yes, many of us are quite willing to save the animals - someone's fetus or sex life is not my problem.
If there actually are 3 of you fools, clearly your parents would fit in the category of people who should not have reproduced. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ABORTION - GET OVER IT.
animalgirlgetwit hit

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

"Wow - I'm impressed, NOT, The key question here is- after you got done teaching them "mazes" (was that dogs, or what species of animal?)and feeding them ginko, then WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THEM?"

So if it comes down to euthanasia versus gleaning a wealth of information about human health followed by euthanasia, screw research right... those sadistic bastards, trying to save human lives?? Yeah that makes sense.
Animal Girl

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

animalgirlgetwithit wrote:
"Wow - I'm impressed, NOT, The key question here is- after you got done teaching them "mazes" (was that dogs, or what species of animal?)and feeding them ginko, then WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THEM?"
So if it comes down to euthanasia versus gleaning a wealth of information about human health followed by euthanasia, screw research right... those sadistic bastards, trying to save human lives?? Yeah that makes sense.
Can't you read, you ignorant a s s hole? Research is not the issue being argued. It is the fact that a class b dealer gets first choice at PETS that individuals, and rescue groups are quite willing to take and give homes. There are a lot more issues here than you obviously know about - check the CCC Montcalm website, learn what the issues are, then comment. I have a great idea - why dont you donate your children for research?
wow

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

Animal Girl: In answer to your question what happened to animals after research - different things! Some animals can be used over and over, if the study is different (this isn't a whole lot different from teaching your dog several different tricks). Some, when too old to be used again, were taken home as pets by people who worked there. Some elderly ones were humanely euthanized (as they would have been at a shelter at this age). People are not monsters; everyone I worked with liked and enjoyed animals and often had numerous pets at home. We always tried to do our best for the animals. The assumption that ALL research is horrible and inhumane is the same as assuming ALL pet owners are horrible and mean! It just isn't true.
Animal Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow - I'm impressed, NOT, The key question here is- after you got done teaching them "mazes" (was that dogs, or what species of animal?)and feeding them ginko, then WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THEM?
animalgirlgetwit hit

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Judged:

"The key question here is- after you got done teaching them "mazes" (was that dogs, or what species of animal?)and feeding them ginko, then WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THEM?"

Sounds to me like you are talking about research here, possibly ginko biloba research?? So even if research WASNT the issue, looks like you made it the issue.

Im sticking up for "wow" here who seems to have a well-rounded opinion from both sides, working with both animal research and the humane society, and yet is being cut down as some sort of "ignorant a s s hole" (class act by the way) by people like you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stanton Discussions

Search the Stanton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 11 hr gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) May '14 Mike 94
Wayne County's tenuous fiscal position puts con... Apr '14 Woody Hayes 3
Sex offenders in Stanton (Sep '13) Sep '13 Tina 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Stanton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••