Director out, allegations swirl at Mo...

Director out, allegations swirl at Montcalm Animal Shelter

There are 61 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Director out, allegations swirl at Montcalm Animal Shelter. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Kevin Weaver resigned as head of the Montcalm County Animal Shelter after allegations he abused the dogs in his care - some brought against him by his own animal control officers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Justice

AOL

#1 Mar 5, 2008
WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALIZE THAT ALMOST EVERY PERSON OF IMPORTANCE, THE DIRECTORS, FOREMANS, COMMANDERS, ETC EMPLOYED WITH THE GOVT ARE GOING TO ABUSE TAX PAYER DOLLARS, OR SEE TO IT THEY PULL STRINGS FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE. WAKE UP EVERYONE, IT'S NOT THE SAME GOVERNMENT IT WAS 35 YEARS AGO.
Eskie Lover

Escanaba, MI

#2 Mar 5, 2008
I was at the Montcalm County Animal Shelter 45 minutes before they opened on Tuesday morning. That is when the two American Eskimo dogs (housed there since 2/26/08) were supposed to be available to the public for adoption. Shelter staff said they had received three calls on Monday about the dogs and knew there was interest in adoption.

When the doors opened at 9:00 we were the first ones in line. I asked about the Eskies and was told, "they're not here." No one would say where they were but they did confirm that the dogs had been alive and well when the shelter closed the night before.

I went to the County Controller's office to place a complaint as Mr. Weaver was unavailable at the time. They called the shelter and then informed me that the dogs had been "put down."

These were what appeared to be healthy American Eskimo dogs; one male, one female. I will never understand how someone could decide to destroy two viable and highly adoptable dogs rather than let them be placed with a family. IF that is what happened to the missing Eskies, it is an outrage!

However, this shelter also sells live animals for use in research. There have been questions raised about where the shelter animals are euthanized; at the shelter or removed from the property and euthanized elsewhere. I find it very suspiscious that the Eskies "disappeared" between 5:00 p.m. on Monday and 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday when the shelter opened.

Unfortunately, when I've tried to contact R&R Research -- the company who brokers the animals for research, and, according to shelter staff, also removes the dead animals from the shelter -- they have not returned any of my phone calls.

It seems no one wants to claim any knowledge at all about the decision to kill the Eskies or sell them for research. This experience with Montcalm County Animal Shelter makes my blood boil.
Please

United States

#3 Mar 5, 2008
Justice wrote:
WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALIZE THAT ALMOST EVERY PERSON OF IMPORTANCE, THE DIRECTORS, FOREMANS, COMMANDERS, ETC EMPLOYED WITH THE GOVT ARE GOING TO ABUSE TAX PAYER DOLLARS, OR SEE TO IT THEY PULL STRINGS FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE. WAKE UP EVERYONE, IT'S NOT THE SAME GOVERNMENT IT WAS 35 YEARS AGO.
Can you please stop using all capital letters? When you do that it reads like you are shouting.
Wendy

Ionia, MI

#4 Mar 5, 2008
I have been hearing all sorts of comments on this, even before WoodTV8 decided to start investigating. What is sad to me is that SO many people report abuse and it just seems that no one takes it seriously. I guarantee you if it were a child instead of animal, the county would be ALL over it! Then again, maybe not...look what happened the LAST time someone in a government position didn't do their job (CPS). I'm hoping to see a fresh face for the Montcalm County Animal Shelter...those animals need love, affection, and new homes. NOT abuse!
chas from Dutton

Amelia Court House, VA

#5 Mar 5, 2008
I hope the ousted director is kicked and treated the very same way he treated some of the animals. Then after giving him" the same treatment..sell his butt to the same research company, and let him suffer the same fate there too.
Robert

Brewster, MA

#6 Mar 5, 2008
These animal research dealers have a notorious history of breaking laws, abusing animals, even stealing people's pets.

And the use of pound animals for research has been diminishing due to their innapropriateness for valid research.

So what has been happening to these animals? What have been the financial arrangements?

Euthanasia does not cost much. Research dealers usually PAY for animals.

There need to be answers as some of the animals sold were likely people's pets that they never knew were at the shelter!

There needs to be a valid adoption program, a spay neuter program to reduce the number of unwanted animals, and a veterinarian needs to be performing humane euthanasia.

No more questionable dealings with questionable research dealers.
Robert

Brewster, MA

#7 Mar 5, 2008
I would hope that there will be an official investigation into the activities of R & R Research.

There are answers needed here!

Also, who else does R & R Research deal with?
Nicole

Oscoda, MI

#8 Mar 5, 2008
Im so happy to see him go. There were times that I have seen him abuse animals as well. The animals in Montcalm County will now be safer. If they would get someone in there who'd work with rescues and get these animals moving instead of dying a painful death in a gas chamber, I'd be completely satisfied.
Robert

Brewster, MA

#9 Mar 5, 2008
Can these animals be reclaimed from R & R Research?

Another one of these dealers that obtained animals improperly was forced to return surviving dogs.

http://www.awionline.org/pubs/Quarterly/Summe...

These animals from Montcalm need to be traced and accounted for.

Also see that Ionia County Animal Control ended it’s relationship with R & R after it was discovered that a dog that an Ionia Animal Control Officer claimed was shot to death, was actually at R & R Research.
Nicole

Oscoda, MI

#10 Mar 5, 2008
To Eskie Lover,
You can ask for their ID numbers. This has happened with our rescue several times. Go back to the commissioners, give them the ID numbers, and someone should be able to track these dogs. A lot of us in this county seem to think there's money under the table being exchanged with Kevin Weaver and Jim Woudenberg, who runs R&R Research.
Robert

Brewster, MA

#11 Mar 5, 2008
Some of the sordid history of R & R Research

http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-5jan2001-...

Why is Montcalm dealing with this R & R Research? The problems with this company are huge.
Robert

Brewster, MA

#12 Mar 5, 2008
These research dealers PAY for animals. That is how they operate.
Eskie Lover

Escanaba, MI

#13 Mar 5, 2008
Robert asked, "Can these animals be reclaimed from R & R Research?
Another one of these dealers that obtained animals improperly was forced to return surviving dogs."

Good question, Robert. I've called R&R three times today but they have a machine pick up the phone and do not return calls. I am filing a FOIA request with Montcalm County for all the info on the dogs, but I suspect their records will say they were euthanized whether they were or weren't. It is incredibly frustrating trying to find these animals at the moment.

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford, MI

#14 Mar 5, 2008
Bust them - horrible acts of cruelty, despondence toward taxpayer, and failing to come forward the moment it was obvious that something was not right. Sick, immoral, and pathetic humans if this story is accurate.
Memories

United States

#15 Mar 5, 2008
Take a cattle to the directors a s s.

“Just Thinking”

Rockford, MI

#16 Mar 5, 2008
yeah, memories are much better (just my opinion) than life here in midwest middle america. I work so many hour to stay afloat, I have no idea (barely) what the rest of USA.

Seems somewhere along the line (I am 49) we lost compassion, RESPECT, discipline, treating those among us the way we would like to be treated, take care of thy own, don't lie, cheat, or steal..... It's a sad.

I really hope the agency gets rid of the worker(s) who had issues. My God, I would no more drive past a lost freezing filty dog than I would a fellow human being. Get the director OUT.

“Just Thinking”

Rockford, MI

#17 Mar 5, 2008
Ya know? There a few of us who still wish for and appreciate the "art" of communication. I have been perusing CNN and FOX news for about an hour. Their articles, as far as I can today, have substance, correct spelling, correct sentence structure, thereby making the article informative yet leisurely read. Wonder why WZZM13 has such trouble. It may be that kids learn about nil in high school anymore. JMO

“Just Thinking”

Rockford, MI

#18 Mar 5, 2008
Robert wrote:
These research dealers PAY for animals. That is how they operate.
Good point. I guess I am naive and do not understand all the signicant differences in people and communities.
My friends laugh at me and tease, but if it a non-threatening animal, domestic or wild, and it finds me, then I'll be darn sure to treat people or lost pet,- well - as I would ask the same of them if shoes were on the other feet.
I am so sick and tired of selfish, serving thyown, non-motivated x generation and all the blah blah blah (three of them are mine so I'm not oblivious. Gosh people, can't we all just along, not torture )innocents, be nice, smile, gawd that sounds gushy, but really, I think to survive as a country down the line, we will need A LOT MORE of getting along.
If I see the director stuck in a snowbank, I just might pull over and admire the antics, rather than pulling director out. What you give is what you get, they say.
helen

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2008
I live in Montcalm county and I have a 6 year old husky ...So I have delt with the animal shelter here ... and I think they should just replace all the employees. I have NEVER had a good excperience when dealling with them. And it sucks cause every year I have to and I dread it!
Nicole

Oscoda, MI

#20 Mar 5, 2008
your right!!!!!! they all need to be replaced and let some people work there that will obvioulsy care about the animals. Stay on them about the missing dogs. They have had to go and return some dogs that were already claimed by owners and they still let research take them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McGowan brothers and Griffes are convicted of 2... (May '07) Mar '17 family 24
Stanton Mi Police Dept (Dec '08) Jan '17 haha 2
2bdr house (Jan '17) Jan '17 Sue 1
Sex offenders in Stanton (Sep '13) Sep '16 Anthony 2
snapchat (May '15) May '15 699999lmao 1
News State might step in to fix tax rolls (Aug '14) Aug '14 kimbalk resident 1
News Wayne County's tenuous fiscal position puts con... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Woody Hayes 3

Stanton Jobs

Personal Finance

Stanton Mortgages