New to the area
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jessica

Big Stone Gap, VA

#1 Jan 25, 2013
My family and I will be moving to Stanton in the next couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the town? Are there any good places to eat, what kind of stores do you all have? Also, how are the schools? Thanks!
Nothing

Winchester, KY

#2 Jan 25, 2013
First the town,there is nothing here to brag about.just a off the beaten path kinda town,no good resturants and the school system sucks.if your smart you will talk your parents out of moving to this h_ll hole.
help

United States

#3 Jan 25, 2013
I agree with Nothing on this one stay where u at
do not listen

West Liberty, KY

#4 Jan 25, 2013
Don't listen to them. One thing they have right is that there is limited about fast food. You have the basics, McDonalds, Arby's, Long John Silvers, D Q, and a few mom and pop resturants such as Bruens.
However, I think the school system is fine. Unless there has been some big changes in the last four or five years. Kids here have opportunities they don't have at other schools, such as Advanced Placement classes to earn college credit, a variety of business classes, home ec classes, and even some HOSA classes. Which is a lot more than some schools in the area. Such as Wolfe or Owsley. If I am not mistaken the high school is also part of some type of program that allows students to attend college after two years if thier grades are high enough and then attend college. They can get dual credit for the classes, high school and college credit. So they actually graduate in two years.
Visitor

United States

#5 Jan 25, 2013
Is there anything nearby to take a 10 year old kid to do?
meme

London, KY

#6 Jan 25, 2013
No not really
Jessica

Big Stone Gap, VA

#7 Jan 25, 2013
do not listen wrote:
Don't listen to them. One thing they have right is that there is limited about fast food. You have the basics, McDonalds, Arby's, Long John Silvers, D Q, and a few mom and pop resturants such as Bruens.
However, I think the school system is fine. Unless there has been some big changes in the last four or five years. Kids here have opportunities they don't have at other schools, such as Advanced Placement classes to earn college credit, a variety of business classes, home ec classes, and even some HOSA classes. Which is a lot more than some schools in the area. Such as Wolfe or Owsley. If I am not mistaken the high school is also part of some type of program that allows students to attend college after two years if thier grades are high enough and then attend college. They can get dual credit for the classes, high school and college credit. So they actually graduate in two years.
Thank you for your answer. I come from a small town, we have the same fast food places you mentioned, no theater or mall to speak of. It's small, but people help each other out and there is very little crime. I believe you can find good or bad in a place, it depends on how you look at it. I'm 30 years old, so I'm asking about the schools for my children. The high school sounds a lot like ours, too. There are opportunities to be had, one just needs the motivation to achieve them. I'm excited about our move and I'm hoping for good things! Thanks again for your answer!
Yeah

Richmond, KY

#8 Jan 25, 2013
Jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your answer. I come from a small town, we have the same fast food places you mentioned, no theater or mall to speak of. It's small, but people help each other out and there is very little crime. I believe you can find good or bad in a place, it depends on how you look at it. I'm 30 years old, so I'm asking about the schools for my children. The high school sounds a lot like ours, too. There are opportunities to be had, one just needs the motivation to achieve them. I'm excited about our move and I'm hoping for good things! Thanks again for your answer!
I moved here a few years ago and I love it. There aren't alot of things to do, but you are about 20 minutes from either Mt. Sterling or Winchester. Mt. Sterling has a bowling alley, and theater and lots of shops. Winchester has movies, good places to eat and some good shops. Mt. Sterling has lots of good places too eat as well. Natural Bridge is really close and a good place to take your family in the summer for some hiking, clogging, paddle boats and swimming. Stanton has a nice new park and a splash park, and Clay City has a park. Small, but still has a nice little shelter, and some park equipment. I don't know much about any of the other elementary schools, but I have had two kids in Clay City, and both did quite well. My daughter has straight A's and I really like having her there. There are alot of really good people in town. There is a good little diner in Clay City, " The Clay City Restraunt and the prices are pretty good as well. There is a gym in Stanton, and lots of churches in the area. I am sure that you will like it. I love it here. It has become my home, not just in the sense of living here, just "HOME". I hope you enjoy it.
cookies

London, KY

#9 Jan 25, 2013
I was raised there was super happy to leave hate Powell ci
Yeah

Richmond, KY

#10 Jan 25, 2013
I guess it is just different views from different people. Like any town, most that grow up there, can't wait to get out, but other's that move there, love it. It is closer to hospitals than most surrounding counties. I just really love it hear.
BBB

United States

#11 Jan 26, 2013
It not bad in Powell Country U can make a home any where But any where u go they are some good an bad Good Luck on your move Hope u find a good place
Fact

Winchester, KY

#12 Jan 27, 2013
The ones that like it, don't know any better sad but true.most family's have this cycle of living off the tax payers dime.passing it down from one generation to the next.
BBB

United States

#13 Jan 27, 2013
Fact are you one of them living of the tax payers if so get an job Its getting old bill your bills
pretty pebbles

United States

#14 Jan 27, 2013
Of course there are fun things to do in this area! Natural Bridge is within spitting distance; also Sky Bridge. Several historic furnaces in neighboring counties. Carter Caves just a hop up the parkway. Cave Run Lake an hour away.
dont listen

West Liberty, KY

#15 Jan 27, 2013
Fact wrote:
The ones that like it, don't know any better sad but true.most family's have this cycle of living off the tax payers dime.passing it down from one generation to the next.
I am not one of those. I have traveled throughout the united states growing up. Not only that my father was a truck driver that has driven in every state but alaska and hawaii. He put over two million miles on his truck for his company before retiring. But still decided to stay here. Same for me. I am happy in the hills. I could not be happy anywhere else. I did move to richmond for college and it about killed me. I hated living in even a small city like that. Much less trying to live in a city such as louisville, St Louis or New York.
Other than a few grants to help with my edcuation, I have never recieved government help. So be careful what you say. But you are right about the vast majority that live in this area, they have never been any further than lexington and at the most maybe to cincy to the zoo. They don't know what it is like out there. It is beyond thier comfort zone. I married a man like that. When ever we go to ohio or michigan or tenessee to see family he gets nervous as he is out of his comfort zone. I can imagine if I took him to texas to see my momma's family. I can imagine him trying to find his way around memphis or dallas or waco.LOL One wrong turn at memphis you are in the bad part of memphis. You get on the wrong ramp at dallas and you end up downtown as well.LOL
pretty pebbles

United States

#16 Jan 27, 2013
There are more educated working people in the area than most think.
Enjoy

United States

#17 Jan 27, 2013
Get a security system for your home. Watch your purse when you go grocery shopping. Don't leave your automobile unlocked.
There are very few good paying jobs in Powell County and we have an abundance of thieves.
Drugs are everywhere. There are thirty some girls pregnant in our schools.
Home Sweet Home
pretty pebbles

Tucker, GA

#18 Jan 28, 2013
It is the same everywhere. Most places are much worse. There are no more Mayberry cities. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't lived elsewhere or they are fooling themselves.
me

Manchester, KY

#19 Jan 28, 2013
Stanton is drug haven I lived there for a long time my kids got in middle school I moved its full if drugs and pregnant teens high school too clay city is too its awful place there's nothing for the kids to do or even adults unless you go to the gorge or natural bridge and after so many times that's boring if you do move to Stanton just Becareful who you make friend with there are some good people there but there really are a lot of drugs
dont listen

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Jan 28, 2013
I have lived in this area for 40 years. I have seen a lot of changes. Some good some not so good. yes our drug problem is worse. But I think that is because of several reasons...One we have better transportation systems, communication systems and better educational system. This has expanded our world and those of our kids. They are exposed to a whole lot more than we were.
Yes, you have to watch your purse when you shop(always did, even when I was a child). Yes you have to lock your cars and houses(again same when I was young and you lived in an area that was populated). However this now applies to those that live out in the country as well. If you are looking for a small town that is close to a bigger city to do things then Stanton is your type of town. More so than someplace like Campton, Booneville or Frenchburg.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Biggest RATS of Powell County! 3 hr snitch 2
Does anyone know the guy they call snake or sna... 5 hr Looking 8
Barry Centers Fri Anoldfriend 1
Offended that I exposed you? Chomo. Fri Lord 2
PoCo's worst dads (Sep '15) Thu mara 6
brad nolan (Dec '09) Thu FukEm 62
Drugs Mar 23 DARE 2

Stanton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance