First Prev
of 2
Next Last
parent

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2012
How do you keep your kids from getting lice at schoo? Please tell me the secret. I have a very young child with thick hair. Powell co schools are the worst for lice is what I've been told
info

United States

#2 Dec 20, 2012
Keep her hair pulled back and spray with hairspray.I also bought a battery operated comb that I use to check her head at least once a week.
been there

Manchester, KY

#3 Dec 20, 2012
You can also rinse their hair once a week with apple cider vinegar. Lice hate the green Herbal Essence shampoo. There's lots of helpful hints online.
sally

United States

#4 Dec 21, 2012
there is no shame in getting lice the shame is not getting rid of them. oil and vinegar are one way. but use a nit comb to comb out hair to make sure no nits
If I remember

Winchester, KY

#5 Dec 21, 2012
Try putting tea tree oil in her shampoo, it keeps them from getting it. You are right, they are the worst schools ever for having it. You treat your child, but others don't treat their's. They need a no nit policy, but they don't have one.
yep

Macon, GA

#6 Dec 22, 2012
INFO and If I Can REMEMBER are absolutely correct. On the tea trea oil 1tsp in a whole bottle of shampoo shake it good before using every time. If you can afford a good lice comb to check and get uglies out a cheap flea comb works quit well too. You can get The tea tree oil almost anywhere but if you can find it Rite aid sells some for $11 and it will last a long time. Also can put 1 tsp in with hot water to was pillows and bedding in. Do not get it in eyes or nose. Will make them run terribly. Also tsp in a bottle of spray water can work as flea and misquito repellent. :)
Cat

United States

#7 Dec 22, 2012
Stanton Elementary is the nastiest school ever!!! They are bad for head lice. The sad part is that they don't give a hoot about the filth and head lice either
If I remember

Georgetown, KY

#8 Dec 23, 2012
Don't waste your money on those expensive combs though. I had someone tell me that they paid all that money for one and it didn't work at all. Just get some lice shampoo and use that little comb in there. Works better than any thing. Tea Tree Oil is the way to go. It will take care of alot of different things. Look it up on the internet, it is a natural antiseptic and will cure alot of things.
wondering

Manchester, KY

#9 Dec 23, 2012
does tea tree oil kill the nits also?
one way

Winchester, KY

#10 Dec 23, 2012
There is only one way to get rid of lice and it is the cheap way. Go to Rite aid or any drug store get a metal lice comb. Use on dry hair.This gets alot of bugs and eggs out, then Get a lamp or under bright light or outside sunlight section your child's hair then go through it pulling each nit and bug out do this to every one every day for a week then once a week until you are sure the lice is gone. then check your child every so often to make sure they don't get it again. Finding lice early is best the populate very fast. If your child is getting lice more than likely there getting it from someone they are in contact a lot cusion friend and so on. So check into that. This is time consuming don't be lazy about it. Stop blaming the schools these are your kids. Start blaming lazy parents who don't get rid of them and sends the kids to school. And STOP using all this harsh stuff on your kids or trying anything you hear someone say gets rid of lice
parent

United States

#11 Dec 24, 2012
one way wrote:
There is only one way to get rid of lice and it is the cheap way. Go to Rite aid or any drug store get a metal lice comb. Use on dry hair.This gets alot of bugs and eggs out, then Get a lamp or under bright light or outside sunlight section your child's hair then go through it pulling each nit and bug out do this to every one every day for a week then once a week until you are sure the lice is gone. then check your child every so often to make sure they don't get it again. Finding lice early is best the populate very fast. If your child is getting lice more than likely there getting it from someone they are in contact a lot cusion friend and so on. So check into that. This is time consuming don't be lazy about it. Stop blaming the schools these are your kids. Start blaming lazy parents who don't get rid of them and sends the kids to school. And STOP using all this harsh stuff on your kids or trying anything you hear someone say gets rid of lice
. It is frustrating because they are coming from school. They ate hard to get rid off and i dont think some parents even try. I have started checking her head every day now.
parent

United States

#12 Dec 24, 2012
*are*
If I remember

Georgetown, KY

#13 Dec 24, 2012
one way wrote:
Tea Tree Oil is not harsh, and it works. It doesn't kill lice, it stops them from getting it. Besides, they are getting it from the school, because they do not have a no nit policy, and that means that kids can still go to school with nits. So if the lazy parents don't get nits out, then it is a wasted cause. People who try and have to spend tons of money on lice shampoo, to treat their kids and family, do the right thing, and then you have those that don't even try sending their kids back to school, so that is how others get it more than once. Some people think they know everything. I know what works, because I had to fight this battle when my child got it three times in one month. I spent all kinds of money, treating her head and the rest of the family, and sent her back to school, to catch it again from one of the children whose lazy parent didn't treat their head. And most of them have medical cards, so they don't have to pay cash for the shampoo like the rest of us. I am not lazy, I have spent hours going through my child's head as I am sure these other parents have done too.
help

Lexington, KY

#14 Dec 25, 2012
if you have a medical card, it will pay for treatment.
Ky Girl

Pikeville, KY

#15 Dec 29, 2012
Lice Shield works. I buy it at rite aide for the same reasons.
save your money

Lebanon, KY

#16 Dec 30, 2012
One good metal nit comb, generic yellow listerine and a shower cap cleaned up the problem (fast and cheap)... Banning sleepovers eliminated it from coming back. Lice free for two years in my house. Ps my kids go to Clay City.
not

Richmond, KY

#17 Dec 31, 2012
Cat wrote:
Stanton Elementary is the nastiest school ever!!! They are bad for head lice. The sad part is that they don't give a hoot about the filth and head lice either
SES does care about head lice. Their school is not nasty, I know for a fact most of the teachers clean their rooms each day before leaving for home. Maybe you should go to the other elementary schools and check their schools out, if it seems better, feel free to take your children there.
save your money

Lebanon, KY

#18 Dec 31, 2012
The problem within the schools is at the county level. Powell county does NOT have a no nit policy therefore kids can only be sent home if a live bug is found on inspection. A no nit policy would mean that a child would be sent home at the sight of a louse or a nit and not allowed to return until a inspection proved that both had been removed. Changing this policy would ease the burden on parents who care and are spending lots of time and money treating their kids. Sadly to many parents are on the less than well kept side and do not make clean heads a priority... The district would rather have the kids in class learning than constantly sent home due to slacker parents. I freak at the thought of a bug on my kid or in my home but lice are not considered a health threat as they do not spread disease so slacker parents win on this issue.
try this

Warsaw, MO

#19 Jan 10, 2013
When I was younger, I had a neighbor that kept it. My hair was starting to dry and break from all the lice shampoo. My other neighbor had the same problem. Her mom put mayonaise on our hair once and extra virgin olive oil a couple days later. It's supposed to smother them and keep them from coming back because of how slick it makes your hair.
the best

United States

#20 Jan 14, 2013
From my experience, I used the stuff from Walmart the first time. Picked thru hair for 10 hours. Cleaned everything in the house.( blankets, pillows, carpet, toys and hairbrush, ect.). Sent her back to school and she got it again 2 weeks later!! Tried olive oil (does not work). Called the doctor and he gave me a prescription that finally got rid of the problem. Always keep hair up and use hairspray.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Pikeville Parent 163,212
Just wondering 2 hr Just wondering 1
Why do stupid hillbillies throw trash onto othe... 6 hr hillbilly 4
Does business seem to be slow 23 hr Lmao 4
Powell Co worst moms Fri Erica 18
drug bust Gary Ginn Bridget Sparks (Apr '14) Apr 20 Wow 29
casey creech (Feb '09) Apr 20 Sky high 13

Stanton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stanton Mortgages