First Prev
of 233
Next Last
Old Dude

Nevada City, CA

#4659 Jun 15, 2012
So very sad to hear of this demolition. Another place of my youth destroyed. The Ranch memories remain with me always, and for that I am eternally grateful. You took a troubled kid off the streets and made something out of him. You should be proud.
I once worked this Ranch back in the late 60's. I was hoping to return there some day as a guest.
I will never forget my time there. I learned for the first time, just what hard work really was, and from that experience,I grew, and it turned my whole life around.
I remember that first day vividly. Papa Joe picked me up in Manhattan with his Station Wagon and drove over 100 miles non stop to the Ranch. He smoked Crooks rum soaked cigars all the way and I'll never forget that smell! He asked if I knew anything about horses. Being 16, young and stupid, I lied to him, and told him I knew everything about horses. Told him I used to work with my Grandpa, who was a groom at Central Park stables. He looked at me with one eyebrow raised and said nothing more the rest of the way. The truth was that the only horse I ever seen or rode was at a kiddie pony ride on the upper East side, and the old Westerns on TV.
We arrived at the Ranch and I was introduced to the Family. Papa Joe took me to the barn to meet the Wranglers. Then he took me inside the barn and told me to take care of his horse. He went outside, and I entered the stall with this enormous stallion. I thought that the bridle and bit looked uncomfortable, so I too it off first. The horse then started to back out of the stall because I failed to reconnect the stall chain. Now I'm chasing the horse out into the coral. The Wranglers were quite amused by all this as Papa Joe says to the laughing men, "He knows all about horses!...son...if my horse don't eat...you don't eat!" Lesson learned...I never lied to him again. It took me a while to coral that big stallion, but I did it,much to the amusement of the Wranglers who had never seen anything like it!
Early next morning, the job started. Sonny told me what to do and I did it.He was a big man so when he spoke, I listened. I once saw him wrestle a sick horse to the ground, so he could administer meds to a infected eye with a coffee pot. I once loaded the barn with hay with him and he could pick up a bale with one hand! He was a hard worker and he expected everyone to do his share.
Here's how a typical day went... He would bring the horses down with a yell and we saddled up the morning ride. Once that was done we served Breakfast,cleaned up the dishes and took out the morning ride. Then we served Lunch and took out the afternoon ride. Dinner was next and then the evening ride. After all that we had to wash up and entertain the guests with square dancing. Totally exhausted,it felt like I just hit the bunk bed when sunrise came and it started all over again.
I'll never forget what I learned there from Papa Joe, Dom, Chickie, Sonny and the Wranglers, and sweet Mama Rose, who was always very kind to me. I learned all about hard work and dedication to the job. I took the lessons I learned there with me and they served me well in my life.
I saved a kid from drowning one time, so I was made the Lifeguard. No running was allowed in the pool area and I once made all the kids sit it out for running. Pool empty and quiet, Papa Joe came in to see why it got so quiet.
He gave them all a reprieve and in the pool they all jumped.
This Ranch and Family will live in my heart till the day I die...Thanks folks...you saved this kid's life too. Roseland lives in my Heart.
With Love,
Gene Duffy
Extended family

Brooklyn, NY

#4660 Jun 15, 2012
Well said, Gene. We all have beautiful memories of the Ranch. The Fichera family will live in our hearts forever.
babett peretti

Kearny, NJ

#4661 Dec 18, 2012
Chickie Fichera wrote:
Hi my family owned Roseland Ranch for 48 years and we had our ups an downs but we were together and we loved every minute.
i sang, danced, ate, worked as hard as I could and meet many people some even crazzier than i was but my family loved every miniute.
My children were born and grew up at the Ranch and learned how to ride, ski , swim, socialize with the guests, ride snowmobiles and four wheelers not to mention skeet and rifle shooting.
On rainy days
I myself miss the Ranch, after all those years i'm not quite sure what i'm suppose to be doing now.
well maybe i'll write a book about my life at the Ranch.
Unfortunately, my brother Sonny died about 2 years ago.
well my family still lives in Stanfordville, ny.
Take care everybody and wait for that book, it should be a best seller.
Chickie
Sooooooooo sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and the ranch. I had an obsession with horses as a child and my father augie took me and me sisters there. He became very close with you and your brother while we were there and I can remember hanging out with two of the daughters one whose horse was brown with black hair. I think its name was candy. I was about 7 at the time and my greatest pleasure was mucking the stalls and my sister leading me on a horse on the front lawn.thanks for the memories I will cherrish for the rest of my life!!!
loretta vinny sarnicola

Medford, NY

#4662 Jun 2, 2014
Chickie Fichera wrote:
Hi my family owned Roseland Ranch for 48 years and we had our ups an downs but we were together and we loved every minute.
i sang, danced, ate, worked as hard as I could and meet many people some even crazzier than i was but my family loved every miniute.
My children were born and grew up at the Ranch and learned how to ride, ski , swim, socialize with the guests, ride snowmobiles and four wheelers not to mention skeet and rifle shooting.
On rainy days
I myself miss the Ranch, after all those years i'm not quite sure what i'm suppose to be doing now.
well maybe i'll write a book about my life at the Ranch.
Unfortunately, my brother Sonny died about 2 years ago.
well my family still lives in Stanfordville, ny.
Take care everybody and wait for that book, it should be a best seller.
Chickie
Hi Chickie, Vinny & I had great times at the Ranch. We were one of the regulars. Vinny was divorced and Tricia his daughter had to be brought home for July 4th one year.. We came back that same evening. You guys held dinner for us - we never forgot that. So sorry to hear about Sonnie. We loved our vacations, and especially your wonderful family. You made us feel a part of your family- Did you ever write your book???
loretta vinny sarnicola

Medford, NY

#4663 Jun 4, 2014
Chickie - So sorry about Sonny - We had wonderful times at the ranch and speak often about our vacations there. My husband was divorced and had his daughter for July 4th vacation - unfortunately she had to attend a function with her Mom and we took her home and returned late the same day - You and Sonny arranged to have dinner waiting for us when we returned late at night - We never forgot that - Tricia is now 42 years old - and remembers her vacations there as well.
You made us feel like family - hey look forward to that book.
Love - Loretta & Vinny S
MrMystery

Selden, NY

#4664 Aug 7, 2014
I thought I knew alot of what happened back in the late 80's through the 90's to the Fichera girls, especially Linda, Christina, & Dyana. But the things I read on here that they explained....I had no idea and it fucking boils my blood. I worked with family and we had our share of arguments but nothing on the level that I read. I knew Joe & Chickie were bastards from "stories" I heard but laying your hands on another persons children is deplorable. I'm sorry if this might offend some of you, but this is the way I feel and I will not apologize for it. I seems that the girls all have happy lives now and that makes me glad.
Is the story about the hot pot of coffee that Joe would throw at family as a discipline true?
I also knew Sonny and felt bad he passed away. The short time I knew him, he was always joking and in a good mood. I never heard him do it, but I did love the "Chickie Boom Boom" story. She was really a pompous ass and deserved all he did to her.
I do remember one day he drove me to pick something up and although we didn't speak much in the truck, he did mention that he sometimes fell asleep while driving....that scared the crapola out of me. I would occasionally peek over to see if he was up, and everytime I did, his right eye looked closed. Now, if he was really sleeping or just messing around, he did get me to say things just to make sure. On the way back, he sent me into a store to buy him candy bars to help "keep him up" for the trip.
I also know how they treated Lily. In my opinion, they never respected her and treated her like she wasn't there. They gave her a room in the back that was tiny. Now she might have liked it, but from what I heard, she wasn't very happy there.
I enjoyed my few visits there, especially hanging out with Linda, Christina, & at the end Dyana. I loved riding the horses, and hanging out in the game room. For someone who didn't know, that place was special but from all I know, I feel so bad for what happened.
If any of the girls are still on here, I often think of you and hope your doing well. I miss seeing you and would like to again one day.
Much Love.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 233
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanfordville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop a Turd ... Add a Turd .... redux. 21 min George Ws Bush - ... 20
Ode to Bush (Mar '09) 33 min De Oppresso Liber 1,939
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 35 min jimi-yank 320,918
Poll Most embarrasing and humilating momentsin topix... 43 min jimi-yank 21
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 46 min jimi-yank 36,938
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr De Oppresso Liber 6,513
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 1 hr mjjcpa 6,242
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stanfordville Mortgages