Can you sue if ppl post about you on ...

Can you sue if ppl post about you on topix

Posted in the Stanford Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wonderin

Greer, SC

#1 Sep 23, 2009
Can you sue if your name is not topix?
Can you sue if not your name, but enough to identify you is on topix??
I heard you can.
Wonderin

Greer, SC

#2 Sep 23, 2009
I mean if your name IS on topix (first part).
FYI

Danville, KY

#3 Sep 23, 2009
No b/c first of all even IF they post their real name, which 99% of the time they will not. You have no proof of who posted it. So all you can do is suck it up defend yourself and have it deleted.
Any Number

London, KY

#4 Sep 23, 2009
You can. If it's a legit reason, and all that, you could easily get the courts to make Topix relinquish the IP addresses of the people posting. It's happening more and more, actually. Just because it's an anonymous site, doesn't mean they don't have to be concerned about liabel.
FYI 2

Sheridan, AR

#5 Sep 23, 2009
I am 100% certain that suits have been filed and dismissed before about this site. it is totally protected by the First Amendment. Those gossip tabloids are just as bad.
Any Number

London, KY

#6 Sep 23, 2009
"Unfortunately, it looks like a judge in Texas has ignored all of that. Topix, the online news aggregation and local community site, has apparently been told by a judge to cough up identifying information on 178 formerly anonymous commenters on the site. The details are still a little unclear from the article linked here -- but it looks like the commenters were discussing a sexual harassment case that was happening in Texas. In that case, the defendants were found not guilty, but apparently the online comments on Topix got somewhat nasty. So the couple, fresh off being acquitted of sexual assault charges, sued 178 different anonymous commenters -- and the judge seemed to have no problem ordering Topix to turn over any identifying information it had on those commenters."

It isn't protected by the First Amendment, when lies are being spread. That's why there's a law against it. Be kinda silly to have a law with no purpose, wouldn't it?

"Just for the record, a few years ago a North Dakota professor was awarded $3 million over claims that a student Web site defamed him."

"The First Amendment guarantees the right to free speech as well as anonymous free speech, it doesn’t protect defamation and people shouldn’t think that they can defame others on the Internet by hiding behind a screen name. The First Amendment doesn’t give you the right to say anything you want, to libel or defame someone, anonymously or otherwise."
Except

Atlanta, GA

#7 Sep 23, 2009
I thought 1st Amendment right implied a person would accept responsibility/attach their name to their opinions or comments. So I would guess it would depend on the particulars and what was said. I think that even the right to free speech only extends until it infringes upon anothers constitutional right.

Some day, Some where (actually I think at least one case nationally has involved Topix or a similar site) there will likely be a case where information about posters (may just be ip addresses) is provided. My guess.

Even gossip tabloids have a writer, I think??? They put their name out there (and get sued quite often).
WRONG

Danville, KY

#8 Sep 23, 2009
Any Number wrote:
You can. If it's a legit reason, and all that, you could easily get the courts to make Topix relinquish the IP addresses of the people posting. It's happening more and more, actually. Just because it's an anonymous site, doesn't mean they don't have to be concerned about liabel.
Okay so you get the ip address, that doesn't mean someone else wasn't using the computer, or it could be a public computer. YOu gonna sue a public library for some stranger using their computers, NO! And plus if someone says "they" think or feel you are a drug selling ho that is their opinion and you cant be used for that either.
Any Number

London, KY

#9 Sep 23, 2009
So if you lend your car to someone and they use it for a drive-by, you get no punishment? Give someone 400$, they use that money to buy a gun and kill someone, you're not one bit responsible?

So it gives only the IP. If the person owning the IP doesn't comply, they get charged with being an accessory-after-the-fact. And the library has records of who uses their computers.
WRONG

Danville, KY

#10 Sep 23, 2009
Plus this would be civil not criminal, so law enforcement are not going to care about this type of shit, plus like i said give your opinion and it is your right, not a thing can be done
The Irate Republican

London, KY

#11 Sep 23, 2009
In a nutshell:
spoken is slander,
written is libel.
Feel free to check me on that.

TIR
Any Number

London, KY

#12 Sep 23, 2009
WRONG wrote:
Plus this would be civil not criminal, so law enforcement are not going to care about this type of shit, plus like i said give your opinion and it is your right, not a thing can be done
Yeah, keep saying I'm wrong while the law keeps saying I'm right. That'll hold up.

Might as well stamp your foot a few times, fall to the ground and demand the cereal you want.
Truth

Danville, KY

#13 Sep 23, 2009
if you got the MONEY any lawyer out there will help you say go by to it. If you can sue for HOT coffee then what's left. You said something embrassing to me , oh no I want a page lenght ad saying that was not true Topix must stop the false statements about me. So what world are you from damage is done people see it but won't care about your silly lawsuite. Grow up and move on !!!!
WRONG

Danville, KY

#14 Sep 23, 2009
The way I see it, don't be on here bashing people and you won't have to worry about if you can or can not be sued. personally if I say something on here I can back it up, coz I don't come on here spreading gossip or lies. And another thing Any Number if you can back it up and prove it, you can't sue for that either. So I will keep saying you are WRONG! Have a nice night
WRONG

Danville, KY

#15 Sep 23, 2009
The Irate Republican wrote:
In a nutshell:
spoken is slander,
written is libel.
Feel free to check me on that.
TIR
Sooo missed the point here, coz most ppl already know this.
Any Number

London, KY

#16 Sep 23, 2009
You can keep saying I'm wrong, but it doesn't stop the fact that you implied I was right.

If your opinion implies your knowledge of an underlying set of facts which your opinion is based upon, Libel might exist.

Just so you know, opinions can be held libel.
<3 Have a nice night.
My Understanding

Greer, SC

#17 Sep 24, 2009
Any Number wrote:
You can keep saying I'm wrong, but it doesn't stop the fact that you implied I was right.
If your opinion implies your knowledge of an underlying set of facts which your opinion is based upon, Libel might exist.
Just so you know, opinions can be held libel.
<3 Have a nice night.
It's my understanding that opinions can be held as libel, as mentioned here. It is why tabloids, newspapers, other media can be and are sued often.
I figure it really is just a matter of time until some one, and some lawyer, decide to be the first in the state or area to pursue something like this. If for no other reason (on the lawyers part) for "advertising" through the media coverage about any legal action.
Any Number

London, KY

#18 Sep 24, 2009
My Understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my understanding that opinions can be held as libel, as mentioned here. It is why tabloids, newspapers, other media can be and are sued often.
I figure it really is just a matter of time until some one, and some lawyer, decide to be the first in the state or area to pursue something like this. If for no other reason (on the lawyers part) for "advertising" through the media coverage about any legal action.
If only Topix were a video game, Jack Thompson could run in to save the day.
FYI

Greer, SC

#19 Sep 24, 2009
You can sue for anything. You just have to find a lawyer to take the case...and that's not ususally that hard.

When you post you should just think to yourself "Do I mind talking about me posting this in court?" If you mind...I'd refrain from posting.

It's gonna happen (lawsuit) someday.
mmm

Harrodsburg, KY

#20 Sep 24, 2009
Internet forums are generally a "no-go" area when it comes to suits, however it all depends on what is said. If it is a simple Libel issue stemming from gossip then the answer is 99% no you cannot sue. If it is something such as death threats then it would be a criminal case and I supposed you could file other claims as well.

As an IT guy I can tell you the site can most definitely pinpoint your computers location. If you are in a public building they could then check things such as checkin books or even security cameras to get a short list of people. In other words, its not to hard to find the user really.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
beach area, cedar creek lake (Jul '11) 5 hr Raina 27
Country boy cadillac Tue jim 12
Denyo manufactoring Tue Sir Fawq You 2
Coroner van at Bill Napier's house?? Tue Wondering 2
candy jospeh Jun 28 beer 1
Bill Carter aka B.C Jun 28 another 2
decoart (Jan '09) Jun 28 Answer 23
More from around the web

Stanford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Stanford Mortgages