Licoln county school system

Posted in the Stanford Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
whatisup

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Oct 20, 2011
What is up with this school? Did anyone read the article in the Advocate Messenger today?
Everybody Pays

Lexington, KY

#2 Oct 20, 2011
We have one of the lowest tax rates in the state, compounded by lack of businesses and major housing developments. This means less money for the schools. With lower salaries and lacking resources, good teachers with flexibility to where they live choose to teach in different districts. Less money means fewer computers, books, instructional resources per student. Heck less money means fewer teachers per student. You want a top 20 in the state education in LC, then we need to pay for it.

With one hand i applaud the school board for raising the tax rate recently. With the other point my finger in shame that it has been many years since this has been done and it will take a few years to see any effect from this increase in funding.

This mirrors what is going on in national politics. You can't solve the problem by cutting alone, which is what has been happening in LC schools for the past 3-4 years. You must also increase revenue, which has only now started to happen.

Money talks and BS walks, a good education costs money and there are no free lunches.
Everybody Pays

Lexington, KY

#4 Oct 20, 2011
Give a builder 100K to build a house (materials, tools, labor, etc.) Give the same builder 200K. Which house is bigger? Which house has better trimmings? Which house would you more likely to want to live in?

You can't say that money doesn't have an impact. Of course it has an impact.
just saying

London, KY

#5 Oct 20, 2011
Corrupt County wrote:
A good education does NOT require a lot of money. It requires intelligent teachers and students who are willing to learn.
I agree with this 100%....
just saying

London, KY

#6 Oct 20, 2011
Everybody Pays wrote:
Give a builder 100K to build a house (materials, tools, labor, etc.) Give the same builder 200K. Which house is bigger? Which house has better trimmings? Which house would you more likely to want to live in?
You can't say that money doesn't have an impact. Of course it has an impact.
I disagree with this 100%...

How do you know a builder is going to build a better house just because he has more money to spend. Bigger does not always mean better.

Teachers are suppose to teach. If they dont like the pay then they should not have picked it for their lifes work. It is a calling..
Truth Is

Somerset, KY

#8 Oct 21, 2011
I dont believe it is the teachers at all. It is the students and the lack of effort on their part. I dont believe they give a crap about these tests. Nor they out forth the effort on it, thus the low test scores. They do not try!!!!

Some of the blame can be out on the parents as well. Encourage your child to do well. Consequences or bad grades. Don't just say, oh well do better next time. My child gets punishment for c's and lower on her report card. I will only stand for a's and b's. Which means at night I push her to study and do homework. No homework?? Read anyway. 30 mins in a quiet room. I keep old papers that are sent home. And if she doesn't have a book to study. I requiz on old stuff. We have also used the computer to google stuff and she studies from there.
Education does not end at the school doors parents have to put fourth and effort to help as well. And with the way most of these kids act. I highly doubt the parents even care. Their lack of respect for the teachers is ridiculous. Come on parents. Step up to the plate and parent!!!
WHAT

Danville, KY

#10 Oct 21, 2011
kids these days have no respect for their teachers or their parents. they don't care if they do good in school, why heck, their parents are sitting on the front porch with their parents getting a check. why in the world would they care if they do good in school. they are just gonna do as their parents are doing and sell drugs or draw that check. don't get me wrong there are alot of good students at LCHS but because of the slackers (not teachers) these good students have to go to a school that ranks low in the state. I say hold the partents accountable for their kids grades in school, take their checks away if their grades aren't good. have them pay "X" amount of money for every point they are over a "C". maybe they would pay a little more attention to their kids and their education...just a thought
agree

Benham, KY

#11 Oct 21, 2011
WHAT wrote:
kids these days have no respect for their teachers or their parents. they don't care if they do good in school, why heck, their parents are sitting on the front porch with their parents getting a check. why in the world would they care if they do good in school. they are just gonna do as their parents are doing and sell drugs or draw that check. don't get me wrong there are alot of good students at LCHS but because of the slackers (not teachers) these good students have to go to a school that ranks low in the state. I say hold the partents accountable for their kids grades in school, take their checks away if their grades aren't good. have them pay "X" amount of money for every point they are over a "C". maybe they would pay a little more attention to their kids and their education...just a thought
Amen!!!
agree

Benham, KY

#12 Oct 21, 2011
Education starts at home! If the parents don't care, why should the kids! As long as the parents are getting that free money, thats all they care about!
luvlincoln

Crab Orchard, KY

#13 Oct 21, 2011
whatisup wrote:
What is up with this school? Did anyone read the article in the Advocate Messenger today?
You misspelled "Lincoln".
politically uncorrect

Crab Orchard, KY

#14 Oct 21, 2011
LC Schools do have some good teachers. There is far more bad than there is good. I do know Lincoln County has passed up well qualified candidates that applied for jobs and actually got interviews and they were passed over because LC hired a relative. This is the Lincoln way. I know it is nice to help your relative get a job but, this is not always the best choice for our children. That is where you put the blame on the principal and superintendent. But, why am I wasting my time. This is something that will not change in this county, unless the government does step in and do something. A good teacher does make a difference. I have had good and bad in LC in all the 13 years I attended. Believe me when I say bad I mean bad. Sports is the same way. We could have had some really good sports teams but LC will pass over a more qualified and talented student to let the teacher's kid, principal's kid, lawyer's kid, dentist's kid, etc. play. Just hurting the school and the student. It is all in who you know. The children is the ones to pay the price. Oh, and congrats to Highland Elem. for best scores.
Truth Is

Somerset, KY

#16 Oct 21, 2011
politically uncorrect wrote:
LC Schools do have some good teachers. There is far more bad than there is good. I do know Lincoln County has passed up well qualified candidates that applied for jobs and actually got interviews and they were passed over because LC hired a relative. This is the Lincoln way. I know it is nice to help your relative get a job but, this is not always the best choice for our children. That is where you put the blame on the principal and
superintendent. But, why am I wasting my time. This is something that will not change in this county, unless the government does step in and do something. A good teacher does make a difference. I have had good and bad in LC in all the 13 years I attended. Believe me when I say bad I mean bad. Sports is the same way. We
could have had some really good sports teams but LC will pass over a more qualified and talented student to let the teacher's kid, principal's kid, lawyer's kid, dentist's kid, etc. play. Just hurting the school and the student. It is all in who you know. The children is the ones to pay the price. Oh, and congrats to Highland
Elem. for best scores.
Oh amen, amen, amen!!! You have knocked the nail in the head. Especially in the sports politicalness!!! If that's even spelled correctly and a word!! No money, no game!! That's how it works. Ugh sickening. Shame on you for doing that to children!
Action for schools

Washington, DC

#17 Oct 22, 2011
Unfortunately, many of the teachers DO contribute to these problems is a major way. I hear all the time from students who have had Lincoln County teachers who routinely show movies in class rather than teach, who are easily distracted from lesson plans and spend valuable class sessions frittering away their time, and who don't have enough content knowledge to command students' respect. A few years ago, even the head of the school board--Jim Kelly--commented on the good quality of the Middle School, but he lamented that "education stops at the front door" of the high school. We owe it to the students to hire a better quality of teacher there. And local isn't always best; pick the best candidates, not those who happen to come long-established Lincoln County families. Hire for quality, not for familiarity, and that will help. But DON'T just blame the students. They aren't stupid; they realize when a teacher is lazy and just passing time. Let an independent group come in and do a serious review of what has NOT been working.
ben

Danville, KY

#18 Oct 22, 2011
Teachers do matter and make an impact on students, good or bad.
LCGirl

Crab Orchard, KY

#19 Oct 22, 2011
I was surprised to learn fellow classmates of mine went on to become teachers in Lincoln Co. They made bad grades, had to repeat classes or even grades and they are teaching our kids. I thought teachers were supposed to be smart? I can't help but wonder if they wanted to teach so they could have summers off. If so, they need to go.
Whataboutit

United States

#20 Oct 22, 2011
I think they should do something about BULLYING. My child was picked on and threatened all the time. She would come home crying all the tme. She would tell but they didn't care. We finely had proof. Letters to her bragging about what they was doing to her. They still didn't do anything. There advice was, if we want it to stop to send her to another school. Finely I seen they wasn't going to do anything. I took her out of LCHS and gave her to her father. The only thing I could think of to get her education and keep her safe. In TWO WEEKS she went from D's and F's to A's and B's. And she graduated. I missed her a lot but had to do what was best for her not me. I talked to a lot of parents that let there kids drop out because of BULLYING. They didn't have a choice like I did. I love my daughter and that's why I did what I did. Had to keep her safe.
Whataboutit

United States

#21 Oct 22, 2011
Is there anyone else on here with the BULLYING problems?
Katie Kirby

Russell Springs, KY

#22 Oct 22, 2011
I'm a student at Lincoln Coutny High School . && i believe our school is a wonderful school . If you have something disrespectful to say about MY school , keep it to yourself . I think that the probelm lies with both students && teachers .! Some teachers only act like a real teacher when people come in to the class room && 'supervise' it . The teachers put on a 'play' if i must say , && as soon as the poeple leave , they go straight back to normal .! But some teachers are great . Some students simply just do not care . It's both teachers & students faults .(:
taxpayer

Brodhead, KY

#23 Oct 22, 2011
Honey, you have to realize that is not YOUR school.....it is EVERYONES school.......because we adults PAY SCHOOL TAXES. The poor performance of the Lincoln County School System reflects poorly on the whole community. I would like to see the students get a good education, further their education and become productive members of society. Community members, parents, and students neet to express their opinions on this matter. Because each person has their own unique experience with and in the school system. Some may have faced a particular problem that others are not aware of and that input could be very valuable into correcting the problems within the school. Bullying is a problem in our schools. I personally think that the first thing that should happen is getting rid of tenure.
idk

Crab Orchard, KY

#24 Oct 22, 2011
if you keep quiet about the situation, then you're part of the problem, obviously there's a problem at the school if the test scores are so low, you need to keep the children interested in the subject or their mind will wonder about so many other things....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New or old jaier 11 hr Jive talker 4
William bill Schnitzler write in for sheriff 12 hr Jive talker 14
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Fri hmmm 501
Curt Folger for Sheriff (Sep '10) Thu The Rock 172
summer winstead..... (Sep '09) Thu you know who this is 21
Michael McFerson Oct 21 Public Knowledge 1
Good Girl Oct 21 Philip and Chris 1
Stanford Dating
Find my Match

Stanford Jobs