Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 20 comments on the Jan 5, 2011, The Cincinnati Enquirer story titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72859 Oct 18, 2012
amazed wrote:
i cant believe whats happened to this string! its turned human again and theres decent conversations going on so what the hell happened? who ever did this even tho i dont know how you did it major kudos. how nice to see something done.
somebody said there was a earthquake drill again in the country again today. is that the trueth or are they just trying to start crap? its all just so scary!
Hello amazed, I think I posted that comment about the earthquake drill but left out the last year in May. That is when they conducted the National level drill. They (First Responders) continue to have drills for disasters to ensure they are prepared, especially if their communication goes down and they have to revert back to the walkie talkie mode. They coordinate them with Red Cross, hospital reps, to have a plan if we were to have a natural disaster. It just seems like they have them more frequently than before. I believe their worries are geared towards an earthquake (Madrid Fault Zone) or an EMP attack either by terrorist or as a result of solar flares. Just my opinion. You know they aren't going to say so. No worrying the public. I can tell you I have worked with them so I know what the drill/scenario is. I am glad they are staying on it. We need to be prepared as well. If the Madrid Fault goes, we will need to be prepared as the resources shrink and the help might not be there like we are use to in minor disasters, like the ice storm. I hope I didn't worry you and I am sorry if I did.

I did most of the earthquake research after the birds fell dead two years ago because there were earthquakes in the region and one of the theories was the methane gas escaping from earth and the theories about HAARP/Chemtrails and whether HAARP was causing the earthquakes. It sure was an interesting debate at that time. Loved being a part of it.

It is a pleasure to pull this thread up and see happy icons for people and kind words for the most part in the comments. I love when we all share like everyone did tonight on the polk salad. I love my southern roots and nothing is better than southern cooking.

I hope you had a great day/evening and will join us again.
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72860 Oct 18, 2012
Stevia is a an alternative to refined sugar; it's been used by indigenous people for over1,500 years. it can be beneficial for blood glucose. I might try growing this myself.Nite to all.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72871 Oct 19, 2012
It just up and died in here over night. I guess no one was watching the Birds...lol
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72872 Oct 19, 2012
Morning. Well it seems the next president has been picked. A halloween costume mask mfg has a 100 percent record for picking the next president based on sales of their rubber president look alike mask. Obama has outsold Romney by a good margin, so it looks like you can go ahead an celebrate or cry in your soup depending on your political stance. Now if I can spot a wolly worm I can forcast the winter.

Have a nice day,,,,, trolls,,, trolls,,,hummm, lost our trolls. Everyone, have a great day!!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72874 Oct 19, 2012
I saw a wooly worm yesterday and it was black. That means that there will be weather. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72875 Oct 19, 2012
I dont use sugar or sweetners at all. I figure there is enough in bought jams, jellies, apple butter, and cookies. I have some sugar that is as hard as a rock since I bought it about 5 years ago.

Most cereals such as raisin bran don't need to be any sweeter and I don't even buy the sugar coated. I like oatmeal plain with melted margarine or real butter. I use unsweetened maple syrup and cinnamon in fried apples.

My biggest use for salt is to clean iron skillets to keep them from sticking and I use very little salt for seasoning. Pepper is good enough, especially the lemon-pepper.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72876 Oct 19, 2012
My aversion to sugar and salt began about the time that I lost my wife of many years. She did not survive being diabetic. I decided that I like life better than sugar and salt.
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72877 Oct 19, 2012
My son loves tea. I try to use honey a lot, but buying it can be expensive. Butbbrighter days are coming and my dad's 4-5 stands of bees should be producing next year. So thanks to Mother Earth. I hadn't thought of using syrups as sweeteners with children and all. My bag of sugar went to my mother- in law because I hadn't used it for several months. It's good to stay healthy. My partner has asthma and a truck driver:,I worry because I've heard that is not the field to be in & COPD is high when it comes to truck drivers. I know, the lack of exercise is always there. Bet you got a lot of lovely memories. Love is the stuff life is made of;)

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72904 Oct 19, 2012
Too cold for the little birdies...or perhaps they DID fly South...
Cinnamon Girl

Jenkins, KY

#72905 Oct 19, 2012
Too funny not to share! Hope you enjoy!
WHY WE SHOOT DEER
Why we shoot deer in the wild.(A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)
I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.
I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up - 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED.
The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals. A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.
I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.
Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand....kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.
Did you know that deer bite?
They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ...... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.(cont.)
Cinnamon Girl

Jenkins, KY

#72906 Oct 19, 2012
The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp ... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal - like a horse - strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape..

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head.
Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down..

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.
So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God... An Educated Farmer.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72907 Oct 19, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Too cold for the little birdies...or perhaps they DID fly South...
The ones around here might be hiding from the cold wind.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72910 Oct 19, 2012
My Dad thought me a little bird poem that he said he had learned in 1921 in a one room school house:

A North Wind shall blow
And we shall have know,
And what will the poor robin to then?

He will sit in the barn
and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing,
POOR THING
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72912 Oct 19, 2012
*SNOW not know.. either my eyes or my fingers are not working so well LOL

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#72936 Oct 19, 2012
@ Cinnamon Girl, good stuff lol!
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72954 Oct 19, 2012
Quieter today. Perhaps, the birds are moving south. Settling down to finish a nice ebook by Terry Goodkind The First Confessor. Hope, it's as good as The Naked Empire.
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72957 Oct 19, 2012
As I posted before, sonar and/ or chemicals...

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72958 Oct 19, 2012
I hate being sick. I haven't been out to put seed out today. No pretty birds to watch.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#72963 Oct 19, 2012
Yes it looks nice and quiet here. That's nice.
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72964 Oct 19, 2012
In the spirit of positivity and all the regulars getting along and decent posters joining along, I want to dedicate the following song to two good friends of mine: Una and Imposter. I am very moved and emotional every time I hear this song. Hopefully, our beloved Kentucky Wildcats basketball teams will be saying this in several months. Enjoy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary for Pres! 1 hr kkk 6
paganisum (Oct '11) 10 hr hoskinmage 19
Do you know Chasity Smith ? Better go to the He... 11 hr Mamma D 1
Golf carts Thu THE UNIT 13
Fort Logan Hospital Birthing Center Apr 19 two cents 2
AKC Champion Rottweiler Pups Apr 19 4theluvofrotties 1
goat loose in stanford Apr 16 Old man 2
More from around the web

Stanford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE