Schmidt making an impression Sheriff ...

Schmidt making an impression Sheriff balances job, politics

There are 36 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Oct 30, 2009, titled Schmidt making an impression Sheriff balances job, politics. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Bennington County Sheriff Chad Schmidt, on the job for about a month, is quickly making his presence known in the community and with the deputies who work for him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 09

Charlestown, MA

#27 Nov 5, 2009
You boys are so out of touch with reality! Get with the program!
REAL Real Vermonter

Fremont, CA

#28 Nov 5, 2009
ifihadadollarforeverytime wrote:
And you think that just because you touch yourself when you blog about cops and robbers and high speed chases and radio chatter that you are in touch with reality?
Hey Dude

Barre, VT

#31 Feb 4, 2010
"oh my god.. do all of you realize that John Behan is just a PATROL OFFICER in the Bennington PD. He has never been a supervisor...how do you go from a patrol officer to the sheriff with all those employee's?"

That is exactly what Gary Forest did. He was a patrolman @ Benn PD when he took office as sheriff.
Elmer J Fudd

Cambridge, MA

#32 Feb 4, 2010
Hey Dude wrote:
"oh my god.. do all of you realize that John Behan is just a PATROL OFFICER in the Bennington PD. He has never been a supervisor...how do you go from a patrol officer to the sheriff with all those employee's?"
That is exactly what Gary Forest did. He was a patrolman @ Benn PD when he took office as sheriff.
Nov 5, 2009

Thank you for your prompt response. We will be back to you shortly.
speakingof

South Hadley, MA

#33 Aug 26, 2010
speaking of making an impression, what ever happened with this case?

Woman suing Bennington Sheriff's Department

MANCHESTER — A New York woman who claims she was roughed up and falsely arrested by a pair of deputies has sued the Bennington County Sheriff's Department.

U.S. District Court Judge William Sessions denied the department's motion to dismiss the case last week, saying there were questions that should be decided by a jury.

Angela Nelson, 47, of Queensbury, N.Y., claims that Deputy Sheriff Chad Schmidt and, to a lesser extent, Deputy Sheriff Christopher Lauzon maliciously violated her First Amendment rights after a traffic stop in August 2000.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...
ShowMeTheMoney

South Hadley, MA

#34 Oct 26, 2010
Wouldn't it be interesting to see a Campaign Finance Disclosure from Sheriff Chad Schmidt? Too bad they don't have to file them. Someone is pouring a lot of big money into all those television ads and signs. I never could figure out why a candidate, especially a local candidate like Schmidt would spend more on a campaign than the job actually pays.
Been Around Long Enough

South Hadley, MA

#35 Oct 26, 2010
Whatever wrote:
oh my god.. do all of you realize that John Behan is just a PATROL OFFICER in the Bennington PD. He has never been a supervisor...how do you go from a patrol officer to the sheriff with all those employee's?
Most of you haven't been around long enough to know that Gary Forrest left the Bennington PD as a PATROL OFFICER, was elected Sheriff and kept the position 25 years. Behan is a supervisor in the military and missed a promotional opportunity in 1995-96 at the PD because he was deployed to Iraq. He also serves in a supervisory role on his shift in the PD when the supervisor is on days off, etc. He has a personality to deal with people on a team or one on one basis. He'll do just fine as Sheriff of Bennington County.
another banner reader

Bennington, VT

#36 Oct 26, 2010
Been Around Long Enough wrote:
<quoted text>Most of you haven't been around long enough to know that Gary Forrest left the Bennington PD as a PATROL OFFICER, was elected Sheriff and kept the position 25 years. Behan is a supervisor in the military and missed a promotional opportunity in 1995-96 at the PD because he was deployed to Iraq. He also serves in a supervisory role on his shift in the PD when the supervisor is on days off, etc. He has a personality to deal with people on a team or one on one basis. He'll do just fine as Sheriff of Bennington County.
Are you freaking serious...the sheriff's deparment then was nothing. Didn't even own a cruiser...which is the way it will return if Behan gets elected.... Missed a promotional opportunity? I guess he missed out on the last 8 years of trying to get a college education that the town and military would have paid for...sounds like Behan should stay in the military and leave the Sheriff's deparment in good, educated, and proven hands!
Been Around Long Enough

South Hadley, MA

#37 Oct 26, 2010
another banner reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you freaking serious...the sheriff's deparment then was nothing. Didn't even own a cruiser...which is the way it will return if Behan gets elected.... Missed a promotional opportunity? I guess he missed out on the last 8 years of trying to get a college education that the town and military would have paid for...sounds like Behan should stay in the military and leave the Sheriff's deparment in good, educated, and proven hands!
It must be wonderful to be able to look to the future and see so clearly. Let me give it a try: I see an enhanced agency, deputies with advanced training for their protection and that of the county residents whom they serve. I see a Sheriff who will be out with the public doing a working sheriff's job. I see a Sheriff who will work well with select boards and law enforcement agencies. I see a man ready to take on the responsibilities of the business end of the department and can work with a team.
ProLawEnforcemen t

South Hadley, MA

#38 Oct 26, 2010
another banner reader yo can't even spell and you would like us to take your word for anything?

If you remember correctly before Forrest was the Sheriff BCSD has hundreds of deputies and each one of them had a cruiser. Thats the way it worked back then. Each deputy would use their own vehicle as a cruiser and would be reimbursed for mileage and would write the use off on their taxes which by the way were not taken out of their pay and had to be paid on their own. Some of these cruisers even had blue lights and Sirens (with legal permits) and special insignia and plates.

It was a force to be reckoned with except even way back then very few if any criminal arrest were made. The same way it was under Forrest and is today under Schmidt.

When John Behan is elected as Sheriff this will all change. You will see a Bennington County Sheriff's Department like you have never seen before.

Thats after he straightens out the mess left to him by Schmidt and his over paid band of Ex's and has beens. No stealing the "F" keys off the computer keyboards and greasing the door handles kiddy cops!
Warner Brothers Star

Dumfries, VA

#39 Oct 26, 2010
Been Around Long Enough wrote:
<quoted text>... I see a Sheriff who will be out with the public doing a working sheriff's job. I see a Sheriff who will work well with select boards and law enforcement agencies. I see a man ready to take on the responsibilities of the business end of the department and can work with a team.
Out in the public.-- setting up speed traps.

Work with the boards -- splitting the proceeds.

Take on the responsibilities of the business end of the department -- MAXIMIZING PROFITS!

BCSD, toll takers for the real police.
Warner Brothers Star

Dumfries, VA

#40 Oct 26, 2010
ProLawEnforcement wrote:
another banner reader yo can't even spell and you would like us to take your word for anything?
If you remember correctly before Forrest was the Sheriff BCSD has hundreds of deputies and each one of them had a cruiser. Thats the way it worked back then. Each deputy would use their own vehicle as a cruiser and would be reimbursed for mileage and would write the use off on their taxes which by the way were not taken out of their pay and had to be paid on their own. Some of these cruisers even had blue lights and Sirens (with legal permits) and special insignia and plates.
It was a force to be reckoned with except even way back then very few if any criminal arrest were made. The same way it was under Forrest and is today under Schmidt.
When John Behan is elected as Sheriff this will all change. You will see a Bennington County Sheriff's Department like you have never seen before.
Thats after he straightens out the mess left to him by Schmidt and his over paid band of Ex's and has beens. No stealing the "F" keys off the computer keyboards and greasing the door handles kiddy cops!
sPel czech Marky!
Interesting

South Hadley, MA

#41 Oct 26, 2010
http://www.rutlandherald.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0105/NEWS/701050371/1024/NEWS0 4
Most sheriff departments received decent marks in Brock's report, although five of the departments, including the Bennington County Sheriff's Department, had material weaknesses in accounting standards.
How about this report by State Auditor Randy Brock?
Overview
Five material weaknesses.
One finding was repeated from the prior audit.
Material Weakness
MW1 noted that Department personnel could not explain certain accounts, leading to write offs, that certain account balances had not been
updated since the prior biennial audit, and that net assets did not properly reconcile to prior years. Audit recommended that financial statements be reviewed and reconciled monthly. RESPONSE: For the past several years a local accounting firm has come in monthly to reconcile the accounts. Department states it is unsure as to why this didn’t prevent the problem.
MW2 noted that bookkeepers are also authorized check signers. RESPONSE: Duties have been segregated as of March 2006 but SAO is unable to determine if this segregation is sufficient based upon the information (employee names rather than positions) contained in the response.
MW3 noted that bookkeepers reconcile accounts receivable and open the mail. RESPONSE: These duties have been segregated as of March 2006.
MW4 noted that the Sheriff was not documenting his approval of time cards. This had been noted in the prior audit as well. RESPONSE: Approval of time cards is now indicated by the initials of the reviewer as of March 2006.
MW5 noted that purchases using the Department credit card lacked sufficient supporting documentation substantiating the validity of the
expense. RESPONSE: Credit card is used only by the Sheriff.
Was Sheriff Forrest right hand man Deputy Schmidt present during the period that this happened?
Looks like the problem revolved around the Sheriff but the number 2 man should have been able to fix it!
I'm just getting started!
I guess that shows how much an education in Law Enforcement helps train an appointed Sheriff acting as a CEO. Looks like he might be better on the road but then he'd probably need a refresher course.
Warner Brothers Star

Dumfries, VA

#42 Oct 26, 2010
Marky, we all know you're 'in touch' with all the boys of east bennington on satdy nights!

And we know you have a 'program' for that as well.

Say hi to Leedoe for me. Just don't shake his hand....or anything else.
Oops

South Hadley, MA

#43 Oct 29, 2010
Advocates laud parking bill

Posted by Nilesh Singit on 06/25/2010

Meanwhile, Bennington County Sheriff Chad Schmidt said enforcement of parking violations will increase.“In the past, we haven’t been as vigilant in enforcing these types of offenses,” he said.“I am pledging to you today that the sheriff’s department will be more vigilant in our efforts and we will enforce these types of offenses.”

Anything change or being done on this?

http://74.6.238.254/search/srp cache?ei=UTF-8&p=%22bennin gton+county+sheriff%22+acciden t&xa=Br_dA12crCvIcZgJ1r3SN w--%2C1288378271&fr=yfp-t- 701&u=http://cc.bingj.com/ cache.aspx?q=%22bennington+cou nty+sheriff%22+accident&d= 4839745378124420&mkt=en-US &setlang=en-US&w=6ffa6 49c,1c28c7f5&icp=1&.in tl=us&sig=BFSFKGtbCjhYdN2L QC1SkA--
Outraged

South Hadley, MA

#44 Oct 30, 2010
Warner Brothers Star wrote:
<quoted text>
Out in the public.-- setting up speed traps.
Work with the boards -- splitting the proceeds.
Take on the responsibilities of the business end of the department -- MAXIMIZING PROFITS!
BCSD, toll takers for the real police.
Warner Brothers Star, you are not. You are a bottom feeder. Where do you come up with the garbage you vomit out? Get a life!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Frustrated (Nov '13) Dec 3 markey fife 141
News Patriots shoot for national record (Feb '08) Dec 3 markey fife 4
News Readsboro's Finley recalled: Shot by son in app... (Dec '10) Nov 29 markey fife 14
News Police: Man masturbating on the side of road (May '16) Nov 17 Marky fan club 17
News Football coach faces penalty: Mount Anthonya s ... (Nov '10) Nov 16 Michael 76
News Route 9 closed after tractor-trailer accident (Nov '08) Jul '16 BufurdTPuszey 273
Michael Denault should NOT be on the selectmen'... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Tom 2

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages