Schmidt making an impression Sheriff ...

Schmidt making an impression Sheriff balances job, politics

There are 36 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Oct 30, 2009, titled Schmidt making an impression Sheriff balances job, politics. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Bennington County Sheriff Chad Schmidt, on the job for about a month, is quickly making his presence known in the community and with the deputies who work for him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Behan Supporter

Bennington, VT

#1 Oct 31, 2009
Good luck Chad, but Behans got my vote! John Behan for Sheriff 2010!
Supporter

Middlebury, VT

#2 Oct 31, 2009
What I have read, heard and know about Chad Schmidt convinces me that he is the PERFECT man for the job. Keep up the good work Chad!
an Idea

Huntington, MA

#5 Oct 31, 2009
How about paying the deputies more than $12.00 an hour?
an Idea

Huntington, MA

#6 Oct 31, 2009
and Behan has my vote as well.
TSW

Middlebury, VT

#7 Oct 31, 2009
John F. Behan for Sheriff in 2010! My heart goes out to all of the 172.

Be safe John and remember 'the County loves you'.

Not to be disrespectful Sheriff Schmidt, but what service have you done for your Country? Sheriff Mahoney - WWII veteran, Sheriff Forrest - Veitnam veteran, Sheriff Schmidt - nothing....

November, 2010 = Sheriff John Behan - Iraqi and Afghanistan veteran.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#8 Oct 31, 2009
TSW wrote:
John F. Behan for Sheriff in 2010! My heart goes out to all of the 172.
Be safe John and remember 'the County loves you'.
Not to be disrespectful Sheriff Schmidt, but what service have you done for your Country? Sheriff Mahoney - WWII veteran, Sheriff Forrest - Veitnam veteran, Sheriff Schmidt - nothing....
November, 2010 = Sheriff John Behan - Iraqi and Afghanistan veteran.
Not that I am knocking the veterans of this great country of ours, but since when is being a war veteran one of the qualifications to be a county sheriff?

Hell we just had a President and Vice President that never served, hell the VP had five deferments to get out of serving.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#9 Oct 31, 2009
ifihadadollarforeverytime wrote:
Looks like the campaigning has already started! I would vote for anyone else! John Behan is a good choice!
As for Schmidt He envisions himself being "more involved" in day to day details than Forrest had been? Not a nice thing to say about the man who groomed him and recommended him for the job!
He’s installed a test GPS unit in a cruiser that allows him to pinpoint the location of the car. It even sends his Blackberry an alert if the car is speeding. That thing will be buzzing like crazy when Deputy Noblet is working! I'm sure Schmidt took this into account and installed it on someone elses cruiser!
Schmidt said he is taking steps to tighten up operations within the department and that he has a responsibility to make sure that his people are supervised! I wonder what if anything other than get re-elected Forrest did while he was the sheriff? Sounds like a mess to me!
A former deputy is also back on the job. Staff Sgt. Andrew Hurley, a 14-year veteran who left the department last year to take a job with the state Department of Corrections, is now serving as the "second in command" until other posts are filled, Schmidt said. He will manage contracts and take charge of other administrative duties. Is there history here? Is he one of the deputy's in that video where the guy at the wedding reception in Arlington gets beat and tasered for no good reason? I think Noblet as a Manchester police officer was the one doing the tasering State police were doing the beating and who was the deputy watching and doing nothing to help the victim????? Oh yeah! Lucky BCSD didn't get sued along with the others! It shouldn't have happened!
"We all still call Gary the sheriff, and I think he’ll have that title until the time that he passes," Schmidt said. "He’s certainly earned that right." They will still be calling Forrest sheriff when the new one is ellected in November!
("We all still call Gary the sheriff, and I think he’ll have that title until the time that he passes," Schmidt said. "He’s certainly earned that right." They will still be calling Forrest sheriff when the new one is ellected in November)

And all past US Presidents are still referred to as President, doesn't mean they are. If you do not like Sheriff Schmidt, then next year on Nov. 10 go to the polls and cast your vote against him.
deerslayer

Holyoke, MA

#10 Oct 31, 2009
Sheriff Schmidt, keep up the good work and don't listen to the fools that will only express their opinions under complete anonymity.
formervermonter

Holyoke, MA

#11 Oct 31, 2009
Sheriff Schmidt the gps units are a great idea.
Whatever

Holyoke, MA

#12 Oct 31, 2009
oh my god.. do all of you realize that John Behan is just a PATROL OFFICER in the Bennington PD. He has never been a supervisor...how do you go from a patrol officer to the sheriff with all those employee's?
Concerned Local

Boston, MA

#17 Nov 2, 2009
Whatever wrote:
oh my god.. do all of you realize that John Behan is just a PATROL OFFICER in the Bennington PD. He has never been a supervisor...how do you go from a patrol officer to the sheriff with all those employee's?
Well the current Sheriff went from a hall monitor at the high school for the last year to the Sheriff now. John Behan has served in a supervisory capacity in the military, overseeing a military unit.

Make sure we all get the FACTS out there for the public to make an educated decision in 2010. I just hope that John Behan comes home safe and sound to his family and community.

Since: Oct 09

Charlestown, MA

#18 Nov 3, 2009
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...

Most sheriff departments received decent marks in Brock's report, although five of the departments, including the Bennington County Sheriff's Department, had material weaknesses in accounting standards.

How about this report by State Auditor Randy Brock?

Overview

Five material weaknesses.
One finding was repeated from the prior audit.

Material Weakness

MW1 noted that Department personnel could not explain certain accounts, leading to write offs, that certain account balances had not been
updated since the prior biennial audit, and that net assets did not properly reconcile to prior years. Audit recommended that financial statements be reviewed and reconciled monthly. RESPONSE: For the past several years a local accounting firm has come in monthly to reconcile the accounts. Department states it is unsure as to why this didn’t prevent the problem.

MW2 noted that bookkeepers are also authorized check signers. RESPONSE: Duties have been segregated as of March 2006 but SAO is unable to determine if this segregation is sufficient based upon the information (employee names rather than positions) contained in the response.

MW3 noted that bookkeepers reconcile accounts receivable and open the mail. RESPONSE: These duties have been segregated as of March 2006.

MW4 noted that the Sheriff was not documenting his approval of time cards. This had been noted in the prior audit as well. RESPONSE: Approval of time cards is now indicated by the initials of the reviewer as of March 2006.

MW5 noted that purchases using the Department credit card lacked sufficient supporting documentation substantiating the validity of the
expense. RESPONSE: Credit card is used only by the Sheriff.

Was Sheriff Forrest right hand man Deputy Schmidt present during the period that this happened?

Looks like the problem revolved around the Sheriff but the number 2 man should have been able to fix it!

I'm just getting started!
REAL Real Vermonter

Fremont, CA

#19 Nov 3, 2009
http://www.rutlandherald.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0105/NEWS/701050371/1024/NEWS0 4
Most sheriff departments received decent marks in Brock's report, although five of the departments, including the Bennington County Sheriff's Department, had material weaknesses in accounting standards.
How about this report by State Auditor Randy Brock?
Overview
Five material weaknesses.
One finding was repeated from the prior audit.
Material Weakness
MW1 noted that Department personnel could not explain certain accounts, leading to write offs, that certain account balances had not been
updated since the prior biennial audit, and that net assets did not properly reconcile to prior years. Audit recommended that financial statements be reviewed and reconciled monthly. RESPONSE: For the past several years a local accounting firm has come in monthly to reconcile the accounts. Department states it is unsure as to why this didn’t prevent the problem.
MW2 noted that bookkeepers are also authorized check signers. RESPONSE: Duties have been segregated as of March 2006 but SAO is unable to determine if this segregation is sufficient based upon the information (employee names rather than positions) contained in the response.
MW3 noted that bookkeepers reconcile accounts receivable and open the mail. RESPONSE: These duties have been segregated as of March 2006.
MW4 noted that the Sheriff was not documenting his approval of time cards. This had been noted in the prior audit as well. RESPONSE: Approval of time cards is now indicated by the initials of the reviewer as of March 2006.
MW5 noted that purchases using the Department credit card lacked sufficient supporting documentation substantiating the validity of the
expense. RESPONSE: Credit card is used only by the Sheriff.
Was Sheriff Forrest right hand man Deputy Schmidt present during the period that this happened?
Looks like the problem revolved around the Sheriff but the number 2 man should have been able to fix it!
I'm just getting started!
Hey Zippy The Wonderslug,
Are you still upset you weren't 'groomed' for the position of sheriff?

Charlestown, MA

#20 Nov 3, 2009
Your most recent statement goes to show just how much you don't know about anything fake REAL Real Vermonter! Good luck with that!
REAL Real Vermonter

Fremont, CA

#21 Nov 3, 2009
Your most recent statement goes to show just how much you don't know about anything fake REAL Real Vermonter! Good luck with that!
Remember Zippy, I've forgotten more than you will ever know. And I know who you are.

Charlestown, MA

#22 Nov 3, 2009
Earth to "FAKE" REAL Real Vermonter! Do yourself a favor and get with the program! You don't have a clue and from the looks of it will never have a clue! If you think anyone cares about your brain's inability to regenerate you got another thing coming! Reality check kiddo! The world doesn't revolve around you!
REAL Real Vermonter

Fremont, CA

#23 Nov 4, 2009
Earth to "FAKE" REAL Real Vermonter! Do yourself a favor and get with the program! You don't have a clue and from the looks of it will never have a clue! If you think anyone cares about your brain's inability to regenerate you got another thing coming! Reality check kiddo! The world doesn't revolve around you!
Hey Zippy, if you are going to use cliche's, at least get them right. It's '..you've got another THINK coming.', not '...another THING coming'. I can't keep correcting your mistakes for you. And with you at the center of the universe, there really isn't much room for anything else. Nice try at a come back though.

Charlestown, MA

#24 Nov 4, 2009
Another off topic post by the master of nothing "FAKE" REAL Real Vermonter! If you are going to say something, say something about the subject of the thread! Good luck with your cyber bullying but just so you know it's not working with me! I wonder why Topix tolerates it? Never mind, I know!
REAL Real Vermonter

Fremont, CA

#25 Nov 4, 2009
Another off topic post by the master of nothing "FAKE" REAL Real Vermonter! If you are going to say something, say something about the subject of the thread! Good luck with your cyber bullying but just so you know it's not working with me! I wonder why Topix tolerates it? Never mind, I know!
Just because you have a 'victim mentality' from being picked on all your life doesn't mean people are bullying you. I still want to know if your animosity regarding this subject is due to deep seated and unresolved feelings of inadequacy from being constantly denied employment with the BCSD.
Elmer Fudd

Cambridge, MA

#26 Nov 4, 2009
REAL Real Vermonter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Zippy The Wonderslug,
Are you still upset you weren't 'groomed' for the position of sheriff?
Gary and grooming are mutually exclusive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Nine arrested for selling heroin 2 hr Community Disorga... 14
News Man seeks to vacate sexual assault convictions Feb 10 Dr Pendyke 1
News Police: Woman had sex with 14-year-old boy Feb 8 Lt Joe Kenda 8
agape flights of venice florida Feb 7 markey fife 2
News AG files lawsuit against local landlord Cross (Mar '09) Jan 31 Kevin cross idiot 81
News Route 9 closed after tractor-trailer accident (Nov '08) Jul '16 BufurdTPuszey 273
Michael Denault should NOT be on the selectmen'... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Tom 2

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages