Truck wrecks 'unfortunate coincidence'

Truck wrecks 'unfortunate coincidence'

There are 9 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Apr 25, 2008, titled Truck wrecks 'unfortunate coincidence'. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Five tractor-trailers have crashed on Woodford Mountain in the past two years, including two in the past week, but state officials say there is nothing inherently wrong with the steep, winding road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

tiffany

Jamaica, VT

#1 Apr 25, 2008
the crasher should be charged 3 years in prision and we need more sighns at the rock cut.
Bennington

New Britain, CT

#2 Apr 25, 2008
There are plenty of warning signs on that stretch of road, the problem is that drivers do not take heed of them! The DOT needs to step up to the plate and involve themselves more, in inspecting theses vehicles, and yes truckers that do not act on a failed pre-trip inspection should have to answer for their ingnorence!
ipartyforaliving

AOL

#3 Apr 25, 2008
I have for many year traveled that road, it is really scary to follow trucks down either side of that mountain. They drive way to fast; sometimes in snow storms and bad weather never heeding to the MANY warning signs and truck escape ramps on both sides. This is not a new problem and there are many accidents on Route 9. That road is closed more than it is open especially in the winter. What is the answer I am not sure, but something really needs to be done. How many lives have to be lost before they do something.
Ex-trucker in VT

Bennington, VT

#4 Apr 25, 2008
There's nothing "unfortunate" about these accidents. To make such a claim is extremely flippant. These are serious, they raise insurance rates, cause property damage and can take innocent lives. My question to Elvorita and Zicconi is, do you think signs are an answer? Signs don't report wreckless driving. They don't tell a driver your brakes are failing, your load isn't secured. Is it going to take one of their family members getting seriously injured or killed on this road to make them actually investigate the section of 9 in question. There are people, truckers and cars alike who drive dangerously on 9. Encourage safe driving, enforcement is the answer. Help the sate police and DMV with the issue. Don't cut back on their funding. Create mandatory stops on 9 for truckers to inspect there trucks before continuing into Bennington. This is a situation that NEEDS to be looked at seriously.
Mindi

Manchester Center, VT

#5 Apr 25, 2008
I have been going over that mountain since I was about 7 years old. I learned how to drive on that mountain before they changed it. It is still dangrous if you do not know how to handle them corners in a car. Never mind a 18 wheeler. I have drivin both on that mountain and if you are tired and if you are not sure of tht road with the corners it is dangrous even for the best driver in the world.
About time

Indian Orchard, MA

#6 Apr 25, 2008
HANG the paper company give the driver life in prison would be a good start at fixing this road
concerned

Boston, MA

#7 Apr 26, 2008
Ex-trucker in VT wrote:
There's nothing "unfortunate" about these accidents. To make such a claim is extremely flippant. These are serious, they raise insurance rates, cause property damage and can take innocent lives. My question to Elvorita and Zicconi is, do you think signs are an answer? Signs don't report wreckless driving. They don't tell a driver your brakes are failing, your load isn't secured. Is it going to take one of their family members getting seriously injured or killed on this road to make them actually investigate the section of 9 in question. There are people, truckers and cars alike who drive dangerously on 9. Encourage safe driving, enforcement is the answer. Help the sate police and DMV with the issue. Don't cut back on their funding. Create mandatory stops on 9 for truckers to inspect there trucks before continuing into Bennington. This is a situation that NEEDS to be looked at seriously.
Your rite, we do need to police that area better. I dont think more of the same signs are the answer. In NH there is a very dangerous stretch of road where you are required to have your headlights on at all times and the road also posts a sign with the roads stats (accidents,deaths). I know it seams to be a crued tactic but it got my attention and slowed me down.
Bennington resident

New Haven, CT

#8 Apr 27, 2008
I agree with Ex trucker, maybe it shall happen that one loses THEIR family members to wake them up.........Seems that no one gets hurt but an innocent person with this kind of thing weather tractor trailer OR car, the innocent die, the one in a hurry or acting frivolous walks away. I lost my little sister because of one of them......sorry and much love Tom and Jeff and to Paul who must be in severe, severe pain.......God bless all 3 and all that tried to help out of the kindness of their hearts!
Real Vermonter

Boston, MA

#9 Sep 16, 2008
I dug up some old news on this! If they knew then what they know now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Up to 10 years for man caught with 600 bags of ... May 13 Otto 5
News Major investors in Putnam Block project see it ... May 13 Dr Pendyke 4
News Town business group to promote economic vitality (Oct '16) May 13 Dr Pendyke 7
News Local man arraigned on drug charges (Oct '08) May 10 Dr Kaputnick 22
Tomato plants May 10 Brooklyn Bernie 2
News Jude Fitzgerald faces charges Apr 30 Sherrif fife 4
Poll What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Apr '17 DEPUTY DOG 342

Stamford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Stamford Mortgages