Route 9 closed after tractor-trailer accident

A 70-foot tractor-trailer towing a car carrier spun-out Saturday on a snow-covered Woodford Mountain. Read more
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Awesome and Suportive

Bondville, VT

#3 Nov 24, 2008
thats wierd !!!! and creepy

“Barking up a tree!”

Since: Jun 08

Bennington

#4 Nov 24, 2008
Thank God no one died! Yes it was a careless act. How many Big Rigs came down that mountain that day?

I am sure the trucker didn't mean to do it (Accident).

The car accident that happened a few hours later was a careless act also.
Matt

Keene, NH

#5 Nov 24, 2008
The road crews need to learn how to salt, sand and plow up there better and more often. Its a joke what the roads look like up there after even a small snowfall. I was up there just as the accident was being cleaned up and there was a fair amount of snow on the road. Add that on top of an already potentially dangerous road were lucky we don't see accidents daily there.
tiffany

Bondville, VT

#6 Nov 24, 2008
jkllo
tiffany

Bondville, VT

#7 Nov 24, 2008
im am soooo happy no one died!
Elmer Fudd

Wolcott, CT

#9 Nov 25, 2008
Matt wrote:
The road crews need to learn how to salt, sand and plow up there better and more often. Its a joke what the roads look like up there after even a small snowfall. I was up there just as the accident was being cleaned up and there was a fair amount of snow on the road. Add that on top of an already potentially dangerous road were lucky we don't see accidents daily there.
Matt you are correct. There was no sand on the road and should have been. They plowed 4 times at my house, but at 10 degrees and the thin layer of snow on the road, it was still like a skating rink because they did not put sand down. Thanks to the highway crew for creating a crisis that will keep them in OT for the next few months.

I would also like to know why it took 3-1/2 hours AFTER the two tow trucks arrived to remove a truck that was upright on its wheels. I guess they had to wait until EVERY deputy sheriff could arrive for OT as well.
Elmer Fudd

Wolcott, CT

#10 Nov 25, 2008
Would also like to point out the driver of the second truck should get a medal for at least stopping his rig in a straight line after the first guy blocked the road.
other side of the hill

Waterville, ME

#11 Nov 25, 2008
Ask anyone who takes care of roads, and they will tell you that not alot of things work on the roads when the temperature is below a certain point. While AOT is sometimes at fault for their "tactics", there is just sometimes it is cold enough that nothing can be done. Salt does not work real good under 20 degrees when the wind is blowing and the road is already very cold. I am by no means saying the way they took care of the roads is correct, just giving people something to think about. Oh, by the way, it was cold and sunny in both Wilmington and Bennington when this occured......no snow........
a mom

Rutland, VT

#12 Nov 25, 2008
Didn't Stu Hurd mention at one of the town meetings that they were actually going to use LESS sand/salt this year due to cost and that he encouraged everyone to drive safer?

Gee Stu- there are places to scrimp and save but i don't think that is one of them
a mom

Rutland, VT

#14 Nov 25, 2008
Wow real vermont you must think you are the only authority on this article aren't you. It is A FACT that the town (and the state as a whole) are going to be using less salt and sand this year...and you shouldn't run your mouth unless you know what everyone on these blogs does for employment!
Elmer Fudd

United States

#15 Nov 25, 2008
Real Vermonter wrote:
Give it up other side of the hill, these fools are all looking for someone else to blame! I know for a fact that it was cold and sunny on my side of the mountain! Elmer Fudd, Bennington County Deputy Sheriff's don't get paid overtime during regular patrols! And what do you know about taking care of a state highway? Please know what you are talking about before you act like you do! The driver of the second truck should get a medal? NOT! He should get a TICKET for following too close, driving too fast for road and weather conditions or CITATION for careless driving! Thats is the road conditions were as bad as you say they were! Thanks to the highway crew for creating a crisis? Who are you going to blame next? Mother nature? God? For putting the snow there of course? I have travelled that road more than most of you (thats a fact) and I have never had any problems! Why do you think that is? a mom, for your information this didn't happen in Bennington so what does anything Stu Hurd said have to do with it? Thats what I thought! So everyone but the involved drivers are at fault here right folks? Bring that defense and your public defender to court with you and see what happens! Thats what I thought!
Einstein, the other truck was coming in the opposite direction. How is that following too close? You must be part of the inept highway crew.

How do you know how much I drive the road? You have traveled that road more than me and that's a fact? How can you say that? You are talking out your evacuation hole, clueless.

It was cold and sunny on the other side of the mountain? How about the weather in Aruba? Or Australia? Who cares what the weather was like elsewhere?

What do I know about taking care of a state highway???? Spoken like a gub'mint employee.

I know that the state highway crew was scraping asphalt when they should have been spreading sand.

What a nimrod.
a mom

Rutland, VT

#17 Nov 25, 2008
the only conclusion I have is that you must be a previous (meaning "in the past") law enforcement office-probably a deputy. I work in the law/legal field myself so guess what- I DO have knowledge about this and other events/incidents and I watch and attend town meetings. And the second half of your rant has nothing to do with my blog. I too have knowledge of this. It isn't smart to assume that you have more knowledge than ANYONE on any issue. You are making accusations based upon a sentence I wrote which is fact. I notice though that you have a tendancy to shoot off at the mouth on just about every article. You must like to hear and see yourself talk. End of discussion!!!
Real Vermonter

Charlestown, MA

#18 Nov 25, 2008
You're getting warmer! If you notice that I have a tendancy to shoot off at the mouth on just about every article you were seeing things! Natural occuring or drugs? Do you hear voices also? I guess it was just an exageration! Was it you who I sat next to at the last meeting? Since you didn't reply I guess I'll have to assume that you continue to blame the state for this accident! Sounds like a public defender to me! They grasp at any little thing they can get! Thats how they make money and continue cases and waste all OUR money! Reminds me of a mouse eating crumbs! Snap! Those crumbs were in a trap! You think you have a case against the state on this one please join up! I would love to see any of this in court! Last time I knew the states ass is covered for things like this! The drivers involved had a choise to not drive but did anyways! Bottom line is use your head and drive like you should and chances are you will never have an event like this yourself! Open for discussion!!!
Elmer Fudd

United States

#19 Nov 25, 2008
Real Vermonter wrote:
So a mom do I have this correct that you blame the State of Vermonts lack of money to buy and spread salt as the single reason for this event? So where and how are you employed that makes you an authority on this? At one time or another I may or may not have been employed by the State of Vermont, Bennington County and Town of Bennington! Your guess to which if any in the past or currently I have or have not been employed by! I bet you don't get this one right either! Lets just say I have an above average knowledge of this!....
My guess is that you've been fired from whichever job you may have had.

Did you even see the accident you are flaming about?
Real Vermonter

Charlestown, MA

#20 Nov 25, 2008
Why is it flaming and rant when someone else is saying it? Speaking of flaming and rant thats the pot calling the kettle black isn't it Elmer Fudd? I'm just trying to figure out why you two would rather blame everyone else than the drivers who caused this fiasco in the first place? OMG1 they just don't get it! Many trucks went east and west on the same stretch of road and didn't crash! How come? Elmer Fudd, I wanna know why it took 3-1/2 hours AFTER the two tow trucks arrived to remove a truck that was upright on its wheels? SIMPLE! Because the drivers of those trucks didn't use they're heads and they CRASHED and caused the HUGH back up on both sides of the mountain! You should try out for am I smarter than a 2 year old! That baby on the E-Trade commercial is way smarter! You guys are a hoot! lol!! Ok you win! NOT!!!!!
Scott

New Britain, CT

#30 Nov 26, 2008
Matt wrote:
The road crews need to learn how to salt, sand and plow up there better and more often. Its a joke what the roads look like up there after even a small snowfall. I was up there just as the accident was being cleaned up and there was a fair amount of snow on the road. Add that on top of an already potentially dangerous road were lucky we don't see accidents daily there.
The only thing on that road that is potentially dangerous is not the road, it's the drivers who think they can drive the road like they when it is dry. A good example at 3:30 this morning (11/26) I was up and on the scanner they were talking about the RT 9 up over the mtn. In Woodford there was TT just headed up and he had jacked knifed, as the trooper was getting there the driver had righted the truck and was one his way up the mtn. So you see it's not the mtn road that is dangerous, it's the idiot like that that are dangerous. As yourself, how many cars and trucks travel that mtn every day w/out a problem because the respect the road with all it's twists and turn.
Scott

New Britain, CT

#31 Nov 26, 2008
a mom wrote:
Didn't Stu Hurd mention at one of the town meetings that they were actually going to use LESS sand/salt this year due to cost and that he encouraged everyone to drive safer?
Gee Stu- there are places to scrimp and save but i don't think that is one of them
You can point the finger at Stu for a lot of things but the mtn, the stae takes care of that. And as for Stu saying there going to cut back on anding and salting, he's all talk. Last Saturday morning we got a dusting of snow and where was town, out sanding and salting the roads.
Real Vermonter

Charlestown, MA

#32 Nov 26, 2008
I'm with you Scott! These other Bozo's just don't get it! A safe driver is one who uses his or her head all the time! The rest are just lucky but they're time is coming! The real problem which is beyond all the safe drivers control is the other guy! These other guys, like the truck drivers we are talking about should be taken off the road! Thats why some of the fines and penalties are higher for truckers! I feel they should be even higher and posted along side troubled roads like this for all to see! Maybe then it might put the fear of God in all of these fools! Don't worry about the poor unsafe truckers they can do other things and there are always plenty of "qualified" drivers to fill they're boots! That might make the Woodford road a pleasure to drive again like it was before all this termoil struck!
eih5291

Newburyport, MA

#35 Nov 26, 2008
vermont needs to take a lesson from new york state on how to apply salt and plow roads. i went up the mountain sunday aftertnoon roads were still snow covered a day later. get a clue vermont a/t
Real Vermonter

Charlestown, MA

#36 Nov 26, 2008
X-Vermonter Happy Thanksgiving! Now please explain to me if every reason for a crash is "it was an accident" why does the great State of Vermont have titles, chapters and subsections in the statutes pertaining to negligent operation, grossly negligent operation and basic rule and maximum speed limits? Once and for all, please explain to us all what in your mind what constitutes negligent operation and grossly negligent operation? Examples of each might be helpful for some of us! I feel that a person is guilty of negligent operation if he or she operates a motor vehicle in a manner that is both negligent and endangers or is likely to endanger any person or property. If a person fails to exercise ordinary care, and is the doing of some act that a reasonably careful person would not do under the same or similar circumstances or the failure to do something that a reasonably careful person would do under the same or similar circumstances. Two people crashed on the mountain last weekend at about the same time and place. Every other person who traveled that same section of highway that day before and after the crash didn't crash themselves! WHY? SIMPLE! Because they operated they're motor vehicles reasonably and carefully! This crash cost a lot of agencies a lot of money! Come on the truck drivers gotta get something handed to them in the end! Citations for negligent operation or at least a ticket for basic rule speed! The only one who said they are paying for anything so far is the company because the tow guy ruptured the fuel tank and spilled all that fuel! He's even out time, money and fuel up front and will have to fight to get paid! The other agencies involved are out lost time with they're families, wear, tear on equipment and fuel cost! What are the truck drivers out so far? Nothing! Accident! Yeah right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man accused of selling pills (Aug '08) 9 hr getitrightpeople 7
News Local woman pleads not guilty to forging label ... (Aug '09) 13 hr markey da masshole 75
News Forcible touching arrest at Crossgate's Dave an... Mar 28 Elmer_J_Fudd 3
News Letters: Bennington Pizza Plaza has big news Mar 27 markey da masshole 2
News State of the Unions: Shumlin Strikes Out With O... Mar 27 markey da masshole 3
News Police: Man missed bus to drug treatment, stole... Mar 18 markey da masshole 3
10 students from Beijing experience Vermont sch... Mar 18 markey da masshole 3
Stamford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Stamford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]