Reassess church tax-exempt status

Full story: Berkshire Eagle

Churches are often pretty and impressive structures, on the outside. I do believe we are now seeing the true image of them, from the inside.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2010
Jocko Clownpecker

Albany, NY

#1 Apr 3, 2010
Kenny, what a great idea. We can tax churches so idiot politicians will have more money to waste. "BRILLIANT"
Silvo

Agawam, MA

#2 Apr 3, 2010
I have a great idea Kenny, lets put you in charge as the moral police. You can decide what church or religious group should get taxed based on your values. We all know what your hintig about in your letter and I am not condoning the actions of some people, but what you are proposing is dead wrong. Don't forget the good that many of these groups do for our community. Jocko is right.
Mom

Springfield, MA

#3 Apr 3, 2010
Kenny, did you go off your medication again.
POGO

Tampa, FL

#4 Apr 3, 2010
Great letter Kenny but it will never happen, the politicians are afraid to aginst the church,because they are just as big a hipocrite as the churches and a heck of a lot of the laypeople.
Frank S Fed Up Taxpayer

Pittsfield, MA

#5 Apr 3, 2010
Yea they need to start Taxing the Churches. If they even think that they Can go out gather Signatures for to place on the Ballot to Ban "Gay Marriage" here in Mass. as they had tried to do. Then they (Religious/Churches) have crossed the Line. They were collecting signatures out front of the Local Post Office, it was stopped real quick. I complained to the Postmaster and they were asked to leave. They think they can cross the line in doing this then they should loose their "Tax Exempt" Status, TAX THEM to the Fullest!!
Cogito

Lowell, MA

#6 Apr 3, 2010
Mr. Messenger proposes, in effect, that the state decide which churches meet the criteria of being worthy of tax exemption. Some sects will receive de facto financial support by keeping their tax exempt status; others will not. If this doesn't constitute an establishmnent of religion -- specific state-sanctioned churches -- then it's hard to see what would.
James

AOL

#7 Apr 4, 2010
Worth thinking about? NOT. The church may have it's problems, but it is a preservative in culture, and brings solace, aid and assistance to many. The church has funded schools, hospitals, drug treatment program, and disaster relief. It has given hope to countless millions.

Without it, we will live in the dark ages which will become the new normal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stamford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is "Ethan Allen" a "Real Vermonter" alias? (Aug '09) 8 hr Dr Pendyke 39
Hello 17 hr Ethan Allen 1
Bennington wants to name welcome center after J... 17 hr Ethan Allen 5
i like fudge Thu a REAL real Vermo... 15
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) Thu Wrassler 43
170 workers laid off after Rutland Plywood fire Aug 26 Kee Wess Bears 6
i suck dong Aug 21 Cuum Spunje Kiel ... 28
•••
•••
Stamford Dating